Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Holy balls they just did a huge fuckin thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Has to be said though, "the dead outnumber the living" isn't greatly portrayed by eight or so Cybermen total.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
CALLED IT

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
The Master is sexier than ever

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

:neckbeard:

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

John Simm, you've changed.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
:tviv:

Seriously, I'm honestly pretty impressed how they were able to get the obvious to be such a massive spoiler.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Welp, that certainly happened.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

Thom12255 posted:

The Master is sexier than ever

I want fanart of Missy wearing a Sexy Zombie Master costume.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
The Master as a freaky love struck stalker of the Doctor. What.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

I actually did like everything of that episode after the first 15 minutes. Especially the reveal, and the retrospective bit with The Master referring to The Doctor as his boyfriend.

So glad Missy didn't turn out to be The Rani like many predicted.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well it'll be hard to judge till the second episode, but that was a mixed affair of the really good and the pretty silly and overly melodramatic. Overall I enjoyed it, but it did have a bit of tonal whiplash going on with the grief mixed with comedy and the pretty astonishingly traumatic "the dead are constantly aware of what is happening to them" stuff kind of being sidelined.

Whatever happens, I really, really, really hope that they continue the fine tradition of the Master setting up a scenario using alien allies and then completely losing control of the situation when they stop playing ball and start doing their own thing.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

the pretty astonishingly traumatic "the dead are constantly aware of what is happening to them" stuff kind of being sidelined.

I have a suspicion that's going to be written off as just part of cyberman/Master manipulation.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Noxville posted:

I liked that she kept dropping hints that suggested she could be Susan or, more likely, Romana ("the one you left behind" and the references to herself as "Mistress" like K9 used to call her) just so she could hit him with,"Haha gently caress you nope I'm the Master and I'm still loving batshit insane."

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

I don't know if I'm mad or not. I assumed it, but I hoped Missy would be something new.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Gonna second that :tviv:. That was a hell of a ride. Coleman and Capaldi nailed the scene at the volcano, even if it was a bit copped out. I'm a sucker for metaphysical stuff like afterlife stories so that was pleasing too. Totally called the Cybermen hiding in the Dark Water but was thrown out by Missy=Mistress=Master, I'd written it off as being an obvious feint.

taerfu
Oct 7, 2013
I think I like the threat of The Master and an army of aliens more than 11s three series of the universe ending.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

In retrospect, I just realized how similar this plan is to the thing with the Toclafane.

The Master shows up and uploads humans into a robotic body so that he/she can kill other humans.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Mokinokaro posted:

I have a suspicion that's going to be written off as just part of cyberman/Master manipulation.

I'm absolutely 100% sure that is meant to be the case, but it was still a pretty traumatic thing to throw out there (which, to be fair, the Doctor completely dismissed as nonsense immediately).

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

I liked that she kept dropping hints that suggested she could be Susan or, more likely, Romana ("the one you left behind" and the references to herself as "Mistress" like K9 used to call her) just so she could hit him with,"Haha gently caress you nope I'm the Master and I'm still loving batshit insane."
Really, "the one you left behind to die" could've been twisted to stand for basically any Time Lady.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
So I might have missed something, but the 3 words are "Don't cremate me" right? So where does "3W" come from? Oh I just realized it as I was typing it out, "3W" is literally just "3 words".

Noxville posted:

I actually did like everything of that episode after the first 15 minutes. Especially the reveal, and the retrospective bit with The Master referring to The Doctor as his boyfriend.

I'm pretty sure like everyone at least suspected Missy of being the Master, any other theory was a combination of wishful thinking and "God, it can't be that obvious, can it?".

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
So are the Cybermen just going to do their ordinary upgrading business on Earth or what, is the line about the dead outnumbering the living just meant to show that there is a lot of them(cause there were only 8 on the highstreet)?

Illuen
Feb 18, 2011

All comedy is derived from fear.

Kegslayer posted:

The Master as a freaky love struck stalker of the Doctor. What.

checks out with me.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Well Manicured Man posted:

So I might have missed something, but the 3 words are "Don't cremate me" right? So where does "3W" come from? Oh I just realized it as I was typing it out, "3W" is literally just "3 words".

I'm pretty sure like everyone at least suspected Missy of being the Master, any other theory was a combination of wishful thinking and "God, it can't be that obvious, can it?".

The Master or The Rani were all theories I remember seeing from the first episode.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

I'm having... trouble breathing.

jesus christ

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

I wonder how many women and fangirls now want to cosplay a deranged psychopath because she has pretty fashion sense?

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Solaris Knight posted:

I wonder how many women and fangirls now want to cosplay a deranged psychopath because she has pretty fashion sense?
There's going to be a run on Mary Poppins outfits.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Thom12255 posted:

So are the Cybermen just going to do their ordinary upgrading business on Earth or what, is the line about the dead outnumbering the living just meant to show that there is a lot of them(cause there were only 8 on the highstreet)?

EIther they've developed a way to upgrade corpses or this 3W facility isn't the only one.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
So that was "Cybermen of the Tombs", yeah?

also something something City of the Saved something something Frontier in Space something something HOLY poo poo IT'S THE MASTER

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I was kind of hoping when Missy told Doctor Chang that she wouldn't kill him till he said something nice that he'd just go on a verbal tirade against her. Being the Master, she probably would have been amused and congratulated him.... then killed him anyway.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Revenant Threshold posted:

Has to be said though, "the dead outnumber the living" isn't greatly portrayed by eight or so Cybermen total.

Isn't that actually not true now? I remember it making headlines a few years back, when the living population of the world started to outnumber all the people who'd ever died. Of course, in a world with a few more invasions than ours has had...

Wyld Karde posted:

Gonna second that :tviv:. That was a hell of a ride. Coleman and Capaldi nailed the scene at the volcano, even if it was a bit copped out. I'm a sucker for metaphysical stuff like afterlife stories so that was pleasing too. Totally called the Cybermen hiding in the Dark Water but was thrown out by Missy=Mistress=Master, I'd written it off as being an obvious feint.

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Aliases_of_the_Master

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

Either they've developed a way to upgrade corpses or this 3W facility isn't the only one.

Dr Chang said there were facilities all over the world - and everything there, the translation of the dead's speech etc, that was all invented by The Master, so the odds of any of it being in any way real are slim to none.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

So it's what everyone guessed in the beginning?

Honestly, I thought that episode was poo poo. It was mainly four people sat at two different tables.

I know its a first part but that doesn't mean it has to be so blatantly full of exposition.

Of course, now the question is... Whose Seb?

My guess? Another Master.

kant
May 12, 2003

Solaris Knight posted:

In retrospect, I just realized how similar this plan is to the thing with the Toclafane.

The Master shows up and uploads humans into a robotic body so that he/she can kill other humans.

It's classic Master. Use other bad guys to do the dirty work, disguise himself so he can taunt the Doctor to his face while he's trying to figure out what's going on, and then go with an over the top reveal after the Doctor isn't buying anything he's saying.. Thought it was great!

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Dabir posted:

Of course, in a world with a few more invasions than ours has had...

That everyone conveniently forgets about on a regular basis.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Dabir posted:

Isn't that actually not true now? I remember it making headlines a few years back, when the living population of the world started to outnumber all the people who'd ever died. Of course, in a world with a few more invasions than ours has had...

I can't imagine that possibly being true.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

PriorMarcus posted:

Either a human they've kept in the sphere due to his usefulness or a cyberman program would be my guess.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

So the "Clara Oswin Oswald has never existed" line was just straight-up fake? Fair enough I guess.

PriorMarcus posted:

Probably a virtual construct that The Master uses to gently caress with the dead. Like a malicious version of Doctor Moon from Silence in the Library.

Incidentally the last scene with Danny kindof reminded me of a data ghost (his mind being stuck on what he was thinking when he died), although it's more likely he was just making sure Clara wouldn't try to follow him.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Mokinokaro posted:

Either a human they've kept in the sphere due to his usefulness or a cyberman program would be my guess.

Yeah, we've only seen him INSIDE the Matrix Slice, so there's nothing (yet) to indicate he is actually a "real" person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

Okay next time I'm going to NYCC, I decided my friend is gonna be Missy, and I'm gonna try being Ainley Master

"Hello, you." :smuggo:

• Locked thread