Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

I find naming your big artillery mobile suit after an extremely famous military officer from a world-renowned poem synonymous with duty and bravery to be a lot more plausible than naming it after an article of clothing that you like to wear a bunch, I suppose. :shrug:

Yes, but you are not a Japanese teenage schoolgirl being written by a bunch of Japanese anime writers trying to write a Japanese anime schoolgirl. I mean her next suit is named "Winning." She probably just names it after things she likes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
If I wasn't poo poo at building, I would totally build a Utena Gundam.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Well, Gundam Rose is already like halfway there!

Suzaku fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 31, 2014

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

everythingWasBees posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if it was meant to be a double meaning. The joke is definitely that she wears a cardigan, though.

I wouldn't put it being a double meaning past them, given that the cardigan sweater is actually called that in honor of Lord Brudenell anyway.

Wikipedia posted:

The cardigan was named after James Brudenell, 7th Earl of Cardigan, a British Army Major General who led the Charge of the Light Brigade at the Battle of Balaclava during the Crimean War. It is modelled after the knitted wool waistcoat that British officers supposedly wore during the war. The legend of the event and the fame that Brudenell achieved after the war led to the rise of the garment's popularity.

So yeah. Learn something new every day. :v:

That said, isn't the production team fairly responsive to questions and such from the audience? Maybe someone who actually knows Japanese can tweet someone on the staff and ask them directly?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Kanos posted:

Looking forward to Build Burning Karate Gi Gundam and Lightning Glasses BWS.

I find naming your big artillery mobile suit after an extremely famous military officer from a world-renowned poem synonymous with duty and bravery to be a lot more plausible than naming it after an article of clothing that you like to wear a bunch, I suppose. :shrug:

The charge of the light brigade is way less universally known then you think it is.

I'd hazard to say the vast majority of people living currently dont know anything more about it than the name sounding like something they heard before, once.

Probably more widespread if you live in the UK.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Oct 31, 2014

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
As someone living in said United Kingdom, I can confirm that even here, knowing about cardigans and the charge of the light brigade doesn't even mean people realise the connection between the two.

Honestly though I think the 'Cardigan' is meant to slightly refer to the additional armour the suit has. As in, it effectively wears a 'Powered Cardigan', by giant robot naming logic.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I'm still wondering how the Winning Gundam is supposed to be an upgrade in firepower compared to the Cardigan. I mean, that's what Fumina said she wanted, but it just seems to have a piddly little machinegun and a buzzsaw shield as opposed to 'literally all the guns ever' like the PGMC.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Darth Walrus posted:

I'm still wondering how the Winning Gundam is supposed to be an upgrade in firepower compared to the Cardigan. I mean, that's what Fumina said she wanted, but it just seems to have a piddly little machinegun and a buzzsaw shield as opposed to 'literally all the guns ever' like the PGMC.

Being able to move effectively and deploy your firepower where it counts matters just as much as quantity of guns. The Cardigan persistently has trouble moving into effective position or evading counterfire because it's big and heavy and loaded down with a giant pile of equipment, which is why it gets ripped to shreds every time it fights despite having huge amounts of raw firepower. Presumably the Winning will be agile enough to make much better use of the armaments it has.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Darth Walrus posted:

Because she's not trying to upgrade her firepower, she's trying to find a better, more agile support suit that will be better able to adapt to the situation to help her teammates, because between Sekai and Yuuma they have close-up punches and long-range pew pews covered. This is literally a thing she says in the episode, y'all motherfuckers are deaf.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

It isn't a firepower upgrade. It's a mid-range support suit. It can transform, is more mobile, and probably is a solid all-rounder suit compared to close and ranged.

It also might be an upgrade in firepower in that it probably turns into a punchy-fist for Burning.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

ImpAtom posted:

It also might be an upgrade in firepower in that it probably turns into a punchy-fist for Burning.

I personally hope she gets at least one good solo Big Bang Punch out of it.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

It could also be a firepower upgrade if she just does something like plate the barrel with metal or whatever it was Sei did to make the first Build Strike's rifle strong enough that people were surprised by it. Maybe that trick only works for beams or something, whereas the cardigan's weapons all looked ballistic.

HairSlut
Nov 29, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Yes, but you are not a Japanese teenage schoolgirl being written by a bunch of Japanese anime writers trying to write a Japanese anime schoolgirl. I mean her next suit is named "Winning." She probably just names it after things she likes.

I didnt know Japan knew or cared who Charlie Sheen is. :v:

i had to

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Mobility is better anyway for basically the history of Gundam outside of trading mobility for an army's worth of firepower.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Or you could be the V2 and have both. :v:

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.

BlitzBlast posted:

Or you could be the V2 and have both. :v:

The strength of five gorillas! But why so short?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be honest most Gundam upgrades combine firepower with mobility.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

The Missing Link posted:

You're not the boss of Tiger-Bot Fumina.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

The Missing Link posted:

We're so far away from an Adrienne Barbeau Gundam, and it breaks my heart.:smith:

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

As someone said, Gundam Rose mixed with Nobell Gundam. Problem with that being that Rose only has the no Grade kit from when G aired and while Nobell's HGFC does occasionally have rereleases, they sell out pretty quick because everyone and their cousin wants it to make a Sailor Scouts set.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

See, at this point I want to find a kit with a giant AWACS dish to slap onto a Gouf R35 with powered arms, paint it yellow, and call it a Powered Gouf Cardigan. With custom Plavsky Jamming Dispenser. :v: I swear to god this is the most effective toy commercial ever.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Warmachine posted:

See, at this point I want to find a kit with a giant AWACS dish to slap onto a Gouf R35 with powered arms, paint it yellow, and call it a Powered Gouf Cardigan. With custom Plavsky Jamming Dispenser. :v: I swear to god this is the most effective toy commercial ever.

Well, there's the HGUC EWAC Zack that you might find useful....

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I want there to be a Battle Royale where a dude enters with the Nether Gundam, intending to do the same thing his G Gundam counterpart did.

Except everyone else has watched G Gundam too and they're savvy to that trick so they all target him first of all.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Pureauthor posted:

I want there to be a Battle Royale where a dude enters with the Nether Gundam, intending to do the same thing his G Gundam counterpart did.

Except everyone else has watched G Gundam too and they're savvy to that trick so they all target him first of all.

Team Windmill would be invincible as long as they get FIELD 7: DUTCH LOWLANDS

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Nov 1, 2014

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Sharkopath posted:

Team Windmill would be invincible as long as they get FIELD 7: DUTCH LOWLANDS

and then they blow up a dike and flood the place.

Put a satelite system and some armor on the windmill mode. Full Armor X Nether Gundam.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
This episode was way better and agree with everything impatom and sharkopath have said, especially w/r/t sekai not winning because he figured out how to do bakunetsu god finger

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

Suzaku posted:

Well, there's the HGUC EWAC Zack that you might find useful....

Good god there's a monoeye on the radome :aaa:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Warmachine posted:

i was in a gundam pbemrpg like 7 years ago and we had an idea to use minovsky particles as a medium for a sonar-like sensor. we were going to put a huge radome on top of a columbus class carrier and call it Swamp Boss. that is my story, farewell.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

muike posted:

This episode was way better and agree with everything impatom and sharkopath have said, especially w/r/t sekai not winning because he figured out how to do bakunetsu god finger

The bait and switch they pulled with this was really good, up to basically recreating the Maoh Sword vs Build Knuckle.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

The bait and switch they pulled with this was really good, up to basically recreating the Maoh Sword vs Build Knuckle.

Yeah, i was already rolling my eyes when he pulled out the super mode so it got me perfectly when it just completely whiffed. It really set to ease my concerns with regards to Sekai just super-moding everything, at least for the moment.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, i was already rolling my eyes when he pulled out the super mode so it got me perfectly when it just completely whiffed. It really set to ease my concerns with regards to Sekai just super-moding everything, at least for the moment.

I was in the same boat. Sekai popped super mode and I was thinking "so, all the lessons he just learned are going to be pointless and he can cover his weaknesses with super mode." Boy, was I glad to be wrong. It makes me really excited for the tournament fights, now. I have a sneaking suspicion that they won't just be "BUILD KNUCKLE WINS ALL!" and stuff.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
The Custom suit i always wanted to make was a Ez8 with Gouf Custom legs and a Gouf Custom arm, cause if you think about the end of 8th MS team, there was a nice pile of Gouf Custom parts laying around to put on the poor blasted Ez8. :v: *The left over Gouf Torso and other arm would be put on a Magellan tank with a memorial picture of Norris Packard*

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

TARDISman posted:

As someone said, Gundam Rose mixed with Nobell Gundam. Problem with that being that Rose only has the no Grade kit from when G aired and while Nobell's HGFC does occasionally have rereleases, they sell out pretty quick because everyone and their cousin wants it to make a Sailor Scouts set.

Yesss. Then I add in a GN Drive to serve as the Shoujo Particles emitter.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Less than 24 hours to Obari.

I wonder if they'll fight any of the rival teams seen in the episode 4 intro.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

God I hope the swim team has some of the aquatic suits from Wing. Give me a custom Cancer Build Fighters.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
They did:

Whether they will appear in any battles is another issue entirely. :v:

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
Heh, guess they were the ones that bought vegeta8259's customs on eBay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNNFDjIhibg

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

John Carstairs posted:

They did:

Whether they will appear in any battles is another issue entirely. :v:

There are just so many great aquatic options I guess I wouldn't fault them too much

LeadSled
Jan 7, 2008

New episode is up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmX6NstOzV4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

New Ral sounds so weird. :(

e- Also I'm all for equal stupid clothing. If Fumina gets to fight in her running/cycling clothes and Sekai in his Gi its only natural for team FREE to fight in their swimming trunks.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Nov 5, 2014

• Locked thread