Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

R. Mute posted:

it's not presented as the struggle of muhammad ali, pbuh, with an unfair system in a country that wanted to take him down a peg.

Well, if you're going to go the realism route, you'd have to portray Ali as a lecherous, adulterous douchebag who happened to be railroaded by people that didn't like his douchebaggery (AKA not being A Good Black), just like Jack Johnson and the Mann Act charges 50 years earlier. The 'hero' of both the Ali and Johnson stories are not sympathetic characters in the least (beyond being black) unless you whitewash the poo poo out of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Jagchosis posted:

it is literally our job to be pedantic cunts

Hello

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Law is incredibly complex. It is an abstraction of the totality of human endeavor and glossed with ideals and riddled with imperfections. The skills needed to properly analyze communicate and use the law are not pedestrian. Proper practice of law tends to ensure healthy communities and government.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Unforgivable Blackness was a very good documentary about Jack Johnson.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
so what is everyone going to do with the extra hour tomorrow?

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

XyloJW posted:

Unforgivable Blackness was a very good documentary about Jack Johnson.

The book version was better, IMO, but still it's worth watching the Ken Burns production.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Swan Oat posted:

go to work a little less hungover than usual

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
go to work a little more hungover than usual

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
my most valuable possession is my beer gut. it cost me thousands and will cost me thousands more

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

ThirdPartyView posted:

Well, if you're going to go the realism route, you'd have to portray Ali as a lecherous, adulterous douchebag who happened to be railroaded by people that didn't like his douchebaggery (AKA not being A Good Black), just like Jack Johnson and the Mann Act charges 50 years earlier. The 'hero' of both the Ali and Johnson stories are not sympathetic characters in the least (beyond being black) unless you whitewash the poo poo out of them.
why isn't ali sympathetic? unless you think someone has to be perfect to be sympathetic.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
my super old paypal account that has neither my bank account nor debit card attached just sent $250 from my checking account to some fucker :psyduck:

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

R. Mute posted:

why isn't ali sympathetic? unless you think someone has to be perfect to be sympathetic.

The same can be said of Clarence Thomas.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I'm probably going to vote for Hawkins simply because, despite the anti-GMO and -nuclear crap, he's closest to what I would like to see in NYS, but I really don't understand the Green game-plan. Even on the off chance that he were to win, who would he be working with? His budgets need to be drafted by mostly existing Civil Service folks with some leadership from his appointees, and then have to be passed through the Senate and Assembly, and they can add and remove some parts of it. How is he expecting to do this with 0 Greens in both houses? They talk up the "grassroots" line, but they don't seem to realize that they need to start from "the bottom", in the sense that they need people in the legislature to get anything done on the executive level.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Swan Oat posted:

Watch Cooler's Revenge on Toonami (since I missed it the first time it aired).

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Raskolnikov38 posted:

my super old paypal account that has neither my bank account nor debit card attached just sent $250 from my checking account to some fucker :psyduck:
eep. Good thing there's chargeback.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

ufarn posted:

eep. Good thing there's chargeback.

AHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Oh, you're serious?

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 16 minutes!

My Imaginary GF posted:

non-progressive opinion: attorneys, and their requirement for professional licensing, provides a necessary--if unequal--barrier to entry to for the legal system. Ultimately, being too legalistic on issues serves a society well and advances the causes of human development.

I agree, but... :smith:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jagchosis posted:

plus folks can always litigate pro se :laffo:

litigation pro se is vital for identifying individuals who need mental health treatment

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'm probably going to vote for Hawkins simply because, despite the anti-GMO and -nuclear crap, he's closest to what I would like to see in NYS, but I really don't understand the Green game-plan. Even on the off chance that he were to win, who would he be working with? His budgets need to be drafted by mostly existing Civil Service folks with some leadership from his appointees, and then have to be passed through the Senate and Assembly, and they can add and remove some parts of it. How is he expecting to do this with 0 Greens in both houses? They talk up the "grassroots" line, but they don't seem to realize that they need to start from "the bottom", in the sense that they need people in the legislature to get anything done on the executive level.

you could say the same thing about third parties in general.

and frankly it doesnt even apply just to first past the post jurisdictions - in all sane systems laws need at least a simple majority to pass. there can only be two choices on each law passing. therefore there's always compromises that have to be made to gather the majority.

anyway the green parties of the world must be destroyed since they are by all reasonable scientific standards anti-environemnt these days in all but plain rhetoric.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Nintendo Kid posted:

you could say the same thing about third parties in general.

and frankly it doesnt even apply just to first past the post jurisdictions - in all sane systems laws need at least a simple majority to pass. there can only be two choices on each law passing. therefore there's always compromises that have to be made to gather the majority.

On any individual law, once it gets to a vote and gets amended and so forth, sure. But in multi-party systems there's a lot more horse-trading that can be done so at least some change can happen with non-majority parties, especially if you need them to keep a coalition going.

I am not saying "oh, well, they're never going to have majority Greens in the SA/SS, better give up now", I'm saying that if they don't get a single person in there, it's meaningless to just get the executive, and in any event, the popular support for an executive candidate is not going to be serious unless they already have people in the legislature getting some things done.

quote:

anyway the green parties of the world must be destroyed since they are by all reasonable scientific standards anti-environemnt these days in all but plain rhetoric.

Yeah, it's depressing how "Green" just stands for some shibboleths instead of a well-tought-out strategy about the environmental consequences of our human existence on this Earth.

ETA: By the way, currently the NYS Senate is practically three-party because there's the Independent Democratic Caucus that votes Republican on a lot of issues, but Democrat on others.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

ThirdPartyView posted:

AHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Oh, you're serious?

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

:smith:

i'm utterly confused by how this happened. i haven't used the account in years and there's no card info stored on it so how was any money transferred?

e: 2009 was the last time i used the loving thing :wtc:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

euphronius posted:

Law is incredibly complex.

Law is complex, justice is simple. :smuggo:

Not.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i'm utterly confused by how this happened. i haven't used the account in years and there's no card info stored on it so how was any money transferred?

Take them to small claims court.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'm probably going to vote for Hawkins simply because, despite the anti-GMO and -nuclear crap, he's closest to what I would like to see in NYS, but I really don't understand the Green game-plan. Even on the off chance that he were to win, who would he be working with?

He won't win, so none of that matters.

I'd probably vote for Cuomo (even though I dislike him passionately) on the Working Families party line to help them maintain ballot access.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

fade5 posted:

Watch Cooler's Revenge on Toonami (since I missed it the first time it aired).

Highly recommend watching the Team4Star DBZ Abridged version. *in Dave chappelle's son's voice* its hil-are-ious

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Joementum posted:

He won't win, so none of that matters.

I'd probably vote for Cuomo (even though I dislike him passionately) on the Working Families party line to help them maintain ballot access.

There are consequences for endorsing a candidate when your base is against him, and who then proceeds to poo poo all over you while promoting a yellow alternative.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Swan Oat posted:

Get woken up an hour early by my nine month old who doesn't understand the concept of clocks

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

Swan Oat posted:

You mean the extra hour of drinking tonight

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Absurd Alhazred posted:

There are consequences for endorsing a candidate when your base is against him, and who then proceeds to poo poo all over you while promoting a yellow alternative.

I agree. Hopefully it's a mistake they won't make twice. But they at least fuse with the Democrats. If they do fall for that again, well....

"Fool me once, shame on me, fool me... fool can't get fooled again. Heh heh heh," as a wise man once said.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Raskolnikov38 posted:

PayPal got hacked around half a year ago(?), and they were still dumb enough to require people to reset their password instead of doing it themselves.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
i just cracked an ice cold beer and i'm gonna make some breakfast tacos in a bit. might meet up with some friends to smoke hookah and eat lebanese food. gonna be a fun saturday night :cheers:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Joementum posted:

I agree. Hopefully it's a mistake they won't make twice. But they at least fuse with the Democrats. If they do fall for that again, well....

"Fool me once, shame on me, fool me... fool can't get fooled again. Heh heh heh," as a wise man once said.

Here comes the new boss... same as the old boss... :smith:

Swan Oat posted:

i just cracked an ice cold beer and i'm gonna make some breakfast tacos in a bit. might meet up with some friends to smoke hookah and eat lebanese food. gonna be a fun saturday night :cheers:

I am insanely jealous.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Nintendo Kid posted:

agreeing w/ fishmech

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

R. Mute posted:

yeah i mean okay you can't put him in the main case because of the recusal and all that, but he could've gotten some behind the scenes time (aside from the ham-handed elevator scene and the scene where he gave a short reading of a wikipedia article before going 'i have to go my planet needs me' and being beamed up into the sky.) or could've done something in the veterans case or whatever. wasted.

don't even give a gently caress that he was recused we just need a thurgood marshall schools the gently caress out of scotus movie.

also the opening with Cohen v. California is so babby's first law exposure it's embarrassing.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
lol I forgot how over the top the wink-wink-nudge-nudge was about Harry Blackmun goddamn.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

visceril posted:

Highly recommend watching the Team4Star DBZ Abridged version. *in Dave chappelle's son's voice* its hil-are-ious
Already did, as well as all the rest of DBZ Abridged. It's kinda what's gotten me back into DBZ, and why I'm looking forward to watching DBZ Kai on Toonami.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
hahahaha r. mute Peter Gerety as Brennan is perfect whatever you think of lawyers.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

i only know gerety from the good wife and this is pretty much the same role but more important and yeah he nails it. what's the gossip on blackmun, btw?

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

R. Mute posted:

i only know gerety from the good wife and this is pretty much the same role but more important and yeah he nails it. what's the gossip on blackmun, btw?

Harry Blackmun was (as the movie points out) appointed by Nixon basically expected to be mini-Berger and he ended up a big ol' liberal on the Court. He also let his bisexual clerk (idk if she was out or not back then) Pam Karlan write the dissent in Bowers (which upheld sodomy laws).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Exclamation Marx posted:

agreeing w/ fishmech

not all greens

• Locked thread