Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
I finally got to play my first game of C&C Napoleonics the other night. We played the first scenario, Rolica (First Position), with me as the French and my wife controlling the Anglo-Portugese force. She eventually won, 5-3, which was a lot closer than I thought it was going to go at first. We both made a lot of mistakes and missed some rules here and there, but I enjoyed it a lot and am hoping to play again soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
What's your favourite game to play solitaire? And how satisfying are the COIN games as solo experiences?

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
We talked about that a couple pages back but basically The Barbarossa Campaign and Navajo Wars are the thread darlings.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Morholt posted:

We talked about that a couple pages back but basically The Barbarossa Campaign and Navajo Wars are the thread darlings.

I will again pimp the awesome Thunderbolt Apache Leader. It is one of my favorite games and I hope to break it out again this weekend.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Going to give Navajo Wars another go this week. I am so bad at it. The solitare system is really neat though. Being subjugated by New Mexico really sucks.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

CNN Sports Ticker posted:

What's your favourite game to play solitaire? And how satisfying are the COIN games as solo experiences?

I think the COINs are fairly fun as a solo experience. It does have AI flowcharts, but I honestly don't use those, I just play as all four factions and try to think out the best moves. It's interesting, but obviously multiplayer is where the real meat is. I'd give solo play a B.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Re: solo games, I've read up on the Silent War series a little bit, and they sound pretty cool if you're into chit flipping. I think the fact that it's solo only, but still has you leaping at shadows kind of adds to what I imagine submarine combat to be. I haven't played either of them, and I could imagine them being kind of heavy in rules, but it caught my eye.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

The problem with Silent War and especially Steel Wolves is that in the end it both tries to have too broad a scope and too narrow a scope. It tries to do the combat and at the same time the wider submarine war. It's an impossible game to play IRL because of its scope. The only realistic way to play it is on Vassal.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I feel like a single sub hunter game could be the ticket there. I have no idea if that's a real thing, but I want it to be.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Lord Frisk posted:

I feel like a single sub hunter game could be the ticket there. I have no idea if that's a real thing, but I want it to be.
It's called The Hunters, I'm running an LP of it although I'm having difficulty getting motivated to get the updates out now that I've done 50 patrols.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I'll check that out. Maybe I'll make enough noise in-thread to make you post. Thanks for the heads up.

BrainBot
Aug 18, 2012

Tekopo posted:

It's called The Hunters, I'm running an LP of it although I'm having difficulty getting motivated to get the updates out now that I've done 50 patrols.

It should also be getting a reprint from GMT in the next month.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

rchandra posted:

I was leaning towards [getting TAL], decided to go for it -- no longer in stock, curse my indecisive nature. Navajo Wars it is!

Now the store tells me Navajo Wars is no longer available, between the time I ordered and they went to fill it. But they can get me Thunderbolt-Apache Leader instead, if I can wait a few weeks. I think that's good news overall.

Speaking of solitaire games, did the LP of Fields of Fire ever happen? I remember hearing about somebody starting one but can't seem to find it.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

rchandra posted:

Now the store tells me Navajo Wars is no longer available, between the time I ordered and they went to fill it. But they can get me Thunderbolt-Apache Leader instead, if I can wait a few weeks. I think that's good news overall.

Speaking of solitaire games, did the LP of Fields of Fire ever happen? I remember hearing about somebody starting one but can't seem to find it.

I want to do a LP of TAL but ... commitment.

FOF - died due to commitments, work or family events I forget exactly. I was lost but it looked nice enough to buy if the reprint ever goes forward.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
So I noticed that my FLGS has a "family games!" category on their website. Most of them are variants of Monopoly, Clue etc.

And then there's this

edit: I told my wife, "you'll never believe what I found under family games". And she replied, "it's not the napoleon game is it?"

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Fading Glory is really good btw

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

This looks kind of funny

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
My regular Twilight Struggle friend asked me about playing another card driven wargame, Rome v Carthage, but he couldn't remember the name. Maybe that was the name. There could well be many buy any idea what game he is referring to.

Yas
Apr 7, 2009

Fat Turkey posted:

My regular Twilight Struggle friend asked me about playing another card driven wargame, Rome v Carthage, but he couldn't remember the name. Maybe that was the name. There could well be many buy any idea what game he is referring to.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/7480/sword-rome maybe?

edit: Yeah its probably Hannibal, I'm dumb.

Yas fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Oct 29, 2014

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Fat Turkey posted:

Probably Hannibal: Rome vs Carthage. One of the early CDG that helped popularize the genre, though it's very much a wargame, as opposed to Twilight Struggle. My favorite part is the card-based battle system, though there are some dice involved. The Power Struggle system in 1989 is very similar, if you've played that.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Yeah that's almost certainly it. Seems a bit tricky to get hold of although BGG had a Swiss seller for $60. Yeah I gathered it was a proper wargame and step up from TS but I've been wanting to expand into wargames so this may be good. Means I can YouTube it for more info. Thanks!

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

DVG just kickstarted their newest game tiger leader. I know it's stupid but I want the minis..

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Bah, I was hoping for a WW2 "Leader" series from them, but I was expecting airplanes!

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
I bought combat commander with the gmt 50% sale and I am really enjoying it a lot. Rules are simple and the card system is pretty great. I love that there are actually strategies now around the dice rolling/card drawing in addition to everything else.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

That's one of the reasons I like it so much. You can't deduce the optimal strategy and then hope the dice cooperated. It's got more texture.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

drat, $72 for the base game without minis? It sounded like a win, but I think I can grab any of the other "leader" games for substantially less.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

I was just looking at that myself and I will probably wait for retail pricing. Not to mention I really want one of the D-Day games next.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I've got Fire in the Lake coming to me tomorrow :woop:

I played through most of the walkthrough book for Andean Abyss on VASSAL to kind of get an idea of what I'd be getting into. FitL is basically the same, just with a different setting/characters/map, right? All the COIN games have the same basic playing style?

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

COOL CORN posted:

I've got Fire in the Lake coming to me tomorrow :woop:

I played through most of the walkthrough book for Andean Abyss on VASSAL to kind of get an idea of what I'd be getting into. FitL is basically the same, just with a different setting/characters/map, right? All the COIN games have the same basic playing style?

Ahahahahahaha oh god no.

Andean Abyss/Cuba Libre are COIN 101/102.
A Distant Plain is COIN 301.
Fire in the Lake is the COIN master thesis.

Fire in the Lake includes all kind of poo poo that AA never touches, including:
  • Two COIN factions, which can only hurt each other indirectly. One of which (the US) has absurdly powerful troops and can boss ARVN troops around, but no police of its own, no resource tracker of its own, and can only bring in forces during the Coup (Propaganda) phase, never through Training.
  • Additionally, the US does not just replenish dead forces, but has to track Casualties between campaigns.
  • The NVA has regular troops, making this the first time you can have traditional force versus traditional force engagements in the system.
  • The COIN factions feature irregular troops that can act like guerillas.

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Oct 30, 2014

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Welp! Sink or swim I guess.

Yas
Apr 7, 2009

COOL CORN posted:

Speaking of this... Empire of the Sun looks incredible but my only experience with wargames is Fading Glory and Twilight Struggle. I've looked over the rule book and it seems manageable, so my question I guess is it worth taking the time to learn? My opponent would have the same level of experience as me.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Yas posted:

Speaking of this... Empire of the Sun looks incredible but my only experience with wargames is Fading Glory and Twilight Struggle. I've looked over the rule book and it seems manageable, so my question I guess is it worth taking the time to learn? My opponent would have the same level of experience as me.

The tricky thing is learning everything about the operations. If you got in touch with Tekopo or myself we could teach you the game. It has a lot of moving parts, a lot of things to understand, but it's learn-able.

Malefic Marmite
Jan 10, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Does anyone know if there are any good video tutorials/resources to learning Virgin Queen? I've been trying to make my way through the rulebook, but it's honestly proving to be an uphill battle every step of the way.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

COOL CORN posted:

If it helps I started with A Distant Plain after being told it was most complicated one (Fire in the Lake wasn't out yet) and it was totally ok to learn. FitL should be fine, the tricky part is more working out what exactly you need to be doing to get yourself closer to victory and not accidentally hand victory to your 'ally'.

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Malefic Marmite posted:

Does anyone know if there are any good video tutorials/resources to learning Virgin Queen? I've been trying to make my way through the rulebook, but it's honestly proving to be an uphill battle every step of the way.

This is the video I watched when first learning Here I Stand, nearly all the mechanics here (except religion) are the same. Once you learn the basics you can move on to the VQ specific things like marriages, religion, patronage, espionage and world map piracy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pzV31ootI0

Learning the rules will probably take at least one game with lots of mistakes so make sure everyone knows that. Decide who will play what powers beforehand and tell each person to read the section specific to their power.

Virgin Queen is probably my favorite game so I definitely think it is worth it to power-through and figure it all out. I have consulted the rule book so many times that I can probably tell you what page every rule is on.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
So here's an odd request. I saw that there's a Hell Dorado figure called Ashoka from the Lost Faction. He's a badass looking gatorman.

I'm wondering if anyone actually had this guy, or has it in person and can give me details about the relative size of him? I was wanting to put him with some of my Hordes Gatormen, but I don't know if Ashoka is super tiny, or too big, or what. The Hell Dorado website has pretty much nothing as far as information.

Malefic Marmite
Jan 10, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Thanks for the link and advice. It's very much appreciated.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Swags posted:

So here's an odd request. I saw that there's a Hell Dorado figure called Ashoka from the Lost Faction. He's a badass looking gatorman.

I'm wondering if anyone actually had this guy, or has it in person and can give me details about the relative size of him? I was wanting to put him with some of my Hordes Gatormen, but I don't know if Ashoka is super tiny, or too big, or what. The Hell Dorado website has pretty much nothing as far as information.

This thread isn't really miniature based wargaming, probably better off asking this one here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3253037

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

COOL CORN posted:

My copy arrived earlier this week. It's easily the most complicated game I've ever bought, but I'm already finding that it's not nearly as bad as it appears. Everything kinda makes sense thematically which kinda helps, and there's a pretty decent tutorial walkthrough that I just got through this afternoon.

Really looking forward to getting a proper game in with some friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

CaptainApathyUK posted:

My copy arrived earlier this week. It's easily the most complicated game I've ever bought, but I'm already finding that it's not nearly as bad as it appears. Everything kinda makes sense thematically which kinda helps, and there's a pretty decent tutorial walkthrough that I just got through this afternoon.

Really looking forward to getting a proper game in with some friends.

Are you talking about the included Playbook walkthrough or something else? I'd like to see it if it's something else.

I just played through the first few rounds of the Playbook, and it's (understandably) a lot less in-depth than the Andean Abyss Playbook. I really enjoyed that one because it would say, "okay, now stop and read this section in the Rule Book and then come back." I guess with this game being volume 4, the Playbook wouldn't be as dumbed-down I suppose.

Either way, I have a good idea of what's going on and it's fun so far!