Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maleficent
May 26, 2014
Well, I guess I was asking for it. Everyone always told me "if you've only ever dabbed in it once put it on there" so there's a lot of bullshit padding happening. As for the design, I'm not a designer! I wanted something quick and easy, which that template was. I've been meaning to change it up but I haven't gotten around to it.

Ithaqua posted:

[edit] Also, I strongly recommend redacting your personal information.
Yeah oops okay done! I'm tired after work, just pasted the drive link directly without any thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Maleficent posted:

Well, I guess I was asking for it. Everyone always told me "if you've only ever dabbed in it once put it on there" so there's a lot of bullshit padding happening. As for the design, I'm not a designer! I wanted something quick and easy, which that template was. I've been meaning to change it up but I haven't gotten around to it.

Yeah oops okay done! I'm tired after work, just pasted the drive link directly without any thought.

If you put it on there as a language you know, someone's eventually going to ask you about it. If your response is stammering and "uh, I solved a Project Euler problem in it once", that makes you sound like you are full of poo poo and totally misrepresenting yourself. It's a bad thing to do.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
:yotj:

Get to a big city if you stay in Florida, not that I'd recommend you do so. I am getting out as fast as I possibly can. Get on stackoverflow careers and ycombinator's (Hacker News's?) job board, look, and send your resume and some cover letters out. My first volley to SF has progressed all the way past a final interview, and I'm waiting on a formal offer, and I'm far from the cream of the crop. I've only been looking for a month, and I'm up front with needing a relocation!

Look at "5 contacts a day" while making a full effort to get a new job. Not 5 resumes sent, five contacts with a person, a real conversation. Keep a spreadsheet of where you're subbed, and if you did it or a recruiter did it - and which recruiter, if you use any. Keep dates for when you first sent, heard back, nth interviews, and offers.

People will tell you recruiters are scum. Most of them are! But if they're working for you for free to make sure you're keeping busy with interviews and get better at them, you're going to do better with places you find on your own, and if they actually find you something with a decent salary and no mickey mouse poo poo, go for it. Just don't accept a lovely offer or get pressured like I was 18 months ago, and get ready to turn down lovely offers and ferret out bullshit in interviews. I recommend Tek Systems as far as minimal BS in my experience. Stay away from SNI (at least in Jacksonville) like the plague. PM me if you want the gory details. I've heard awful poo poo about Robert Half but can't say I've personally been screwed by them. Use any recruiter at your own risk, of course.

For god's sake don't post your public info like that here. Shrughes will put you in goons.txt. :smith:

You can do this. I went from a complete loser with dying parents to getting in a good career for the rest of my life and looking at paying taxes in the top bracket in less than two years. Just stay motivated, and don't tell yourself no. Finally, ask nice, and someone here might give you a skype or google hangout mock interview. I've had two kind posters here help me out, and it's paid off.

Fuck them fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Nov 2, 2014

Cryolite
Oct 2, 2006
sodium aluminum fluoride

3 of the 4 links under additional experience are broken for me. Do working links exist?

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

gently caress them posted:

For god's sake don't post your public info like that here. Shrughes will put you in goons.txt. :smith:

It's goons.org now :eng101:

SmutAnEggs
Jan 1, 2006
Looking for a Software Enineer <3yr exp for a Mega Corp....

Job# 1993336 Software Engineer <3yr exp:
Experience with SW development tools and processes, including, but not limited to: a) Java: Unit Testing, Maven, Ant, Eclipse, Coverity, Javadoc, etc. b) C++: Unit Testing, Visual Studio, STL, Doxygen, etc.

Languages: Java
Things you like to do: Web applications, Back-End Platforms
Availability: Full-Time

perfectfire
Jul 3, 2006

Bees!?

SmutAnEggs posted:

Looking for a Software Enineer <3yr exp for a Mega Corp....

Job# 1993336 Software Engineer <3yr exp:
Experience with SW development tools and processes, including, but not limited to: a) Java: Unit Testing, Maven, Ant, Eclipse, Coverity, Javadoc, etc. b) C++: Unit Testing, Visual Studio, STL, Doxygen, etc.

Languages: Java
Things you like to do: Web applications, Back-End Platforms
Availability: Full-Time

You guys dont have company email?

Bognar
Aug 4, 2011

I am the queen of France
Hot Rope Guy
Judging by his use of "Mega Corp", I'm assuming he's not willing to say where exactly he works.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

If you google the req number it's pretty clear what mega corp they're referring to. But not directly naming it keeps this thread from coming up if you should google the name of the company.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS
http://jobs.gecareers.com/job/Milwaukee-Software-Engineer,-Life-Care-Solutions-Job-WI-53201/83738000/ for all those interested

hope it pays well

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Job descriptions like this make me laugh. There's like 30 bullet points exhaustively addressing what your responsibilities would be and what your qualifications have to be, and then a vague sentence or two on what you get out of the deal.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

Cicero posted:

Job descriptions like this make me laugh. There's like 30 bullet points exhaustively addressing what your responsibilities would be and what your qualifications have to be, and then a vague sentence or two on what you get out of the deal.

Best part is "Relocation assistance: None" dead giveaway that it's a poo poo job (not that having a recruiter just spam links in multiple threads doesn't demonstrate how bad the environment must be)

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
WRT Relocation:

Just what usually happens with this? Are you sent a check? Is it included with the offer letter or separate? What are some logistical pointers worth keeping in mind?

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

WRT Relocation:

Just what usually happens with this? Are you sent a check? Is it included with the offer letter or separate? What are some logistical pointers worth keeping in mind?

I got $5000 reimbursement (which was mentioned in my offer letter) included with my first paycheck. Which made it so that I actually got $3000 of it after taxes.

Really, your best bet is to ask them.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit

Drastic Actions posted:

I got $5000 reimbursement (which was mentioned in my offer letter) included with my first paycheck. Which made it so that I actually got $3000 of it after taxes.

Really, your best bet is to ask them.

Yeah I can't get reimbursed for savings I don't have to spend, I'd need it up front.

:yotj: Is this a deal breaker?

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Yeah I can't get reimbursed for savings I don't have to spend, I'd need it up front.

:yotj: Is this a deal breaker?

This was my specific situation, and something me and the company worked out.

Again, ask them. See what their procedure is.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit

Drastic Actions posted:

This was my specific situation, and something me and the company worked out.

Again, ask them. See what their procedure is.

Welp.

The last word on the matter was "Hey wanna take a few months and find a place first? We'd like you close to the office (which is literally in SF Proper)." Something tells me if they're willing to pay people enough to live there and not across the bay or down the peninsula, and wait a while at that, I'm probably okay.

perfectfire
Jul 3, 2006

Bees!?

kitten smoothie posted:

If you google the req number it's pretty clear what mega corp they're referring to. But not directly naming it keeps this thread from coming up if you should google the name of the company.

You think if someone googles "ge" the first page of results will have this thread?

Bognar
Aug 4, 2011

I am the queen of France
Hot Rope Guy

WRT Relocation:

A company I worked at right out of college hooked me up with a moving company and just covered the cost through them. Although, their relocation wasn't a set amount, it was just "we'll move you" so I didn't have to worry about money changing hands of any sort.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Welp.

The last word on the matter was "Hey wanna take a few months and find a place first? We'd like you close to the office (which is literally in SF Proper)." Something tells me if they're willing to pay people enough to live there and not across the bay or down the peninsula, and wait a while at that, I'm probably okay.

No they just want you available to be in the office outside of BART's operating hours

Also, take the money and live outside of SF imo

perfectfire
Jul 3, 2006

Bees!?
Think of it this way. As an intern ExxonMobil covered the cost of my move from Utah to Houston including sending as much as I wanted through FedEx or UPS; there was literally no real limit. We learned to take every advantage of FedEx so that the drive would be a lot easier. If a company won't cover relocation they don't give a crap about their employees (see: my last job).

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit

Progressive JPEG posted:

No they just want you available to be in the office outside of BART's operating hours

Also, take the money and live outside of SF imo

I asked the interviewer where he stayed and he started talking about the peninsula, East Bay, and that he lives in Berkeley.

Gonna do the same, seriously.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit

perfectfire posted:

Think of it this way. As an intern ExxonMobil covered the cost of my move from Utah to Houston including sending as much as I wanted through FedEx or UPS; there was literally no real limit. We learned to take every advantage of FedEx so that the drive would be a lot easier. If a company won't cover relocation they don't give a crap about their employees (see: my last job).

Seconding this.

That bullshit I almost pulled driving myself to Raleigh for a final when they can't even muster skype or a google hangout would have been really, really dumb.

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

perfectfire posted:

Yeah, Google gives ten grand for interns to relocate. Straight up, as a bonus on your first paycheck.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

down with slavery posted:

Best part is "Relocation assistance: None" dead giveaway that it's a poo poo job (not that having a recruiter just spam links in multiple threads doesn't demonstrate how bad the environment must be)

One thing to keep in mind with relocation assistance is that it may come with a contract that stipulates that you need to pay it back if you get fired/leave the company within a certain period of time, especially if it's a significant amount of money. One year is maybe reasonable, but you definitely don't want that period to be, say, two years, and there's always the risk that the job doesn't work out.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Cicero posted:

Potentially an H1B-requirement filing too?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
In my technical interview at Google I missed a couple of edge cases in an algorithm that I would have normally caught with unit tests. When he prompted me I was able to see the issue and resolve it quickly. How picky are they on this stuff? I was coding in a Google Doc so obviously my code is going to be a little less perfect than if I was working in an IDE. Everything else went pretty well I think, all of the customer/partner interaction stuff, personality questions, "tell me about a time you X", general Android stuff, etc. all seemed fine. So I'm hopeful that it'll turn into something but might have not quite hit the technical mark. It was a fun experience either way and pretty cool to get a (brief) look around their offices.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm halfway through my program, so it's time to start seriously thinking about how to get interviews and practicing them. By now, I'm a full fledged Web Developer (for whatever that's worth) and I've got mostly Rails and Javascript experience. What are some common questions that they'll ask you as a Rails developer? What about Javascript trivia and gotchas?

As for where I can find job openings, that's what my network is for... but I think I'll be okay!

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Tunga posted:

In my technical interview at Google I missed a couple of edge cases in an algorithm that I would have normally caught with unit tests. When he prompted me I was able to see the issue and resolve it quickly. How picky are they on this stuff? I was coding in a Google Doc so obviously my code is going to be a little less perfect than if I was working in an IDE. Everything else went pretty well I think, all of the customer/partner interaction stuff, personality questions, "tell me about a time you X", general Android stuff, etc. all seemed fine. So I'm hopeful that it'll turn into something but might have not quite hit the technical mark. It was a fun experience either way and pretty cool to get a (brief) look around their offices.

Phone screen? I'd wager you are fine.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
So on a "welp I need to practice my interviewing" whim a call from some random but intelligible recruiter led to interviews and now I'm waiting on a formal offer for a mid level job with a fat pay bump and a real team again, but the only catch is they're local. I figure if I have to stay here for a while longer I might as well get out of this hell hole, and honestly they're a good shop! GIT for source control, automated builds and pushing from a dev build to qa then to some final release test then to the actual main repo, they have dedicated QA people, they have automated code review stuff that won't even let you check your code in if it doesn't pass, let alone if it breaks the build, I like them, they like me, the office building isn't full of lawyers and judges and staggering people in ankle bracelets falling off the escalator, etc. Basically, the way a place should be run, as far as I can tell.

But I'm already mentally checked out of Florida and still waiting on a formal offer from the SF place. And Amazon found me again so that process is chugging along, too. I have no qualms about playing them off each other so much as it seems like the local place will potentially hire me and then while working my notice here I'll get the formal offer from the SF place - or worse, I'll be there for a few weeks then I get that e-mail, or a few months later amazon finally finishes consulting their oracle and it's time to move for that.

Is this shitbaggy or just par of the course? Since I'm going clear across the loving country this isn't exactly going to bite me in the rear end, but this is generally the kind of thing you never do in-market, right? I'm hedging my bets - if I'm going to be here awhile longer getting with a real team that doesn't do the mickey mouse poo poo of a government job is a lot better for my skills and wellbeing and happiness than staying in this bumblefuckey clusterfuck, but at the same time, I'd rather find that in a new city, and not jerk around some awesome people who actually know how to get work done and make their developers happy.

Meh.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

So on a "welp I need to practice my interviewing" whim a call from some random but intelligible recruiter led to interviews and now I'm waiting on a formal offer for a mid level job with a fat pay bump and a real team again, but the only catch is they're local. I figure if I have to stay here for a while longer I might as well get out of this hell hole, and honestly they're a good shop! GIT for source control, automated builds and pushing from a dev build to qa then to some final release test then to the actual main repo, they have dedicated QA people, they have automated code review stuff that won't even let you check your code in if it doesn't pass, let alone if it breaks the build, I like them, they like me, the office building isn't full of lawyers and judges and staggering people in ankle bracelets falling off the escalator, etc. Basically, the way a place should be run, as far as I can tell.

But I'm already mentally checked out of Florida and still waiting on a formal offer from the SF place. And Amazon found me again so that process is chugging along, too. I have no qualms about playing them off each other so much as it seems like the local place will potentially hire me and then while working my notice here I'll get the formal offer from the SF place - or worse, I'll be there for a few weeks then I get that e-mail, or a few months later amazon finally finishes consulting their oracle and it's time to move for that.

Is this shitbaggy or just par of the course? Since I'm going clear across the loving country this isn't exactly going to bite me in the rear end, but this is generally the kind of thing you never do in-market, right? I'm hedging my bets - if I'm going to be here awhile longer getting with a real team that doesn't do the mickey mouse poo poo of a government job is a lot better for my skills and wellbeing and happiness than staying in this bumblefuckey clusterfuck, but at the same time, I'd rather find that in a new city, and not jerk around some awesome people who actually know how to get work done and make their developers happy.

Meh.

Well, I'm in a similar situation to you (in that i want to change cities) and I'm not even entertaining the idea of taking another job in my current city because that would make me look like a hopper. So in my opinion I would suggest you do the same.

And as an aside - I've also learned that just because a company has dedicated QA and a build system, it doesn't mean its a good place to work.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

shodanjr_gr posted:

Phone screen? I'd wager you are fine.
No, this was part of the on-site (4 * 45min interviews). It's not a dev role, it's partner/client support/consulting but it still seems to be pretty technical and they expect me to be able to code and know my way around Android. One of them said everyone on the team has "come from an engineering background". It involves debugging code and proposing changes and writing the odd patch but a lot of it is client-facing. I would guess they probably have a lower standard on the technical side of things compared to a full engineering role.

Ah well, I have no idea really, I just hope they don't keep me waiting for weeks. I've heard those stories.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Nov 4, 2014

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit

Careful Drums posted:

Well, I'm in a similar situation to you (in that i want to change cities) and I'm not even entertaining the idea of taking another job in my current city because that would make me look like a hopper. So in my opinion I would suggest you do the same.

And as an aside - I've also learned that just because a company has dedicated QA and a build system, it doesn't mean its a good place to work.

What I'm thinking is the timing would make it so if I even end up getting the offer there instead of working a notice where I'm at now, it would be so brief I could just forget that from the resume. A bit shitbaggy but not something that would follow me.

But if that doesn't happen, yeah, I'm in J-ville for a few more years.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

What I'm thinking is the timing would make it so if I even end up getting the offer there instead of working a notice where I'm at now, it would be so brief I could just forget that from the resume. A bit shitbaggy but not something that would follow me.

But if that doesn't happen, yeah, I'm in J-ville for a few more years.

Google's the probably pickiest of all the top-tier companies in terms of interview criteria (at least the ones that I or my close circle have been exposed to). Still, it seems like you had everything under control. Being "nudged along" by the interviewer is part of the process, at least in entry-level engineering interviews.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
Should I demand some kind of "formal" offer letter before acting like I've got the job? I haven't put in notice yet, but still.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Should I demand some kind of "formal" offer letter before acting like I've got the job? I haven't put in notice yet, but still.

You should not give notice until after you have signed the paperwork at the new place.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

You should not give notice until after you have signed the paperwork at the new place.

I asked if I could sign it on the day I was to give notice here and they had no issues arranging it, but were surprised. The last few people just sorta went off of an email itself.

To this I ask: what does happen, whether or not you have an offer letter, if your offer for a job is pulled and you either are still working a notice, or just finished? Are you totally hosed?

supercrooky
Sep 12, 2006

I asked if I could sign it on the day I was to give notice here and they had no issues arranging it, but were surprised. The last few people just sorta went off of an email itself.

To this I ask: what does happen, whether or not you have an offer letter, if your offer for a job is pulled and you either are still working a notice, or just finished? Are you totally hosed?

Some places will walk you out the second you give notice. Some places you'll finish your notice period, but once you've given your notice you are officially gone, change of heart or not. Some places will let you rescind your resignation, but will put you on the chopping block once they have a replacement, or the next time layoffs come up.

No good can come of anyone at your current job knowing you are thinking of leaving before you are out the door.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
And yet again Amazon pokes in and says hi when I've all but started at another job.

They're moving /fast/.

:q: WELP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I also got asked "how much electrical wiring is there on a 747" which resulted in much :rolleyes: in my head.