Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Hencoe posted:

Vorax are up
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/New_Stuff/VORAX_BATTLE_AUTOMATA.html
Dunno if I would ever run them though.

Man Mechanicum gets all the cool poo poo. I'd actually want to run them as counts-as Centurions in normal 40K.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
sorry man beetleborgs will never be cool

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
I've been looking at the inquisition codex, and what's a good build from there? I kind of want an ordo xenos inquisitor to roll around with because I mostly play against xenos like tau

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

PeterWeller posted:

Dude, there are tons of people who are real fluff bunnies about this kinda poo poo. You and I and many others may find it silly, but ours is not a universal viewpoint.

Sorry, but that just doesn't matter in any kind of realistic sense. The kinds of people that won't purchase a character because they're dead in the fluff are insignificant in any sense, but especially compared to the kinds of people who will buy them because of cool rules, cool models, or cool fluff. All you accomplish by leaving character death out of the equation is leaving out interesting stories.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Frobbe posted:

I've been looking at the inquisition codex, and what's a good build from there? I kind of want an ordo xenos inquisitor to roll around with because I mostly play against xenos like tau

Make sure you take as many servo-skulls as you can. I'd also recommend making him a psyker and taking Psychic Communion. I'd also make sure to buy a box of the long out of production plastic IG Commandos for style points.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Make sure you take as many servo-skulls as you can. I'd also recommend making him a psyker and taking Psychic Communion. I'd also make sure to buy a box of the long out of production plastic IG Commandos for style points.

The twenty year old ones wearing stupid hats with a mono pose? Those were terrible.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yes, those ones. Because they are awesome.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

Anyone have any tutorials for painting large vehicles? I'm trying to practice some before the Solar Auxilia releases and it feels like I just don't 'get' painting anything bigger than a Land Raider.

If you don't have an airbrush, Montana Gold and Liquitex both make acrylic spray paints in a rainbow of colors. Tanks look good even with a two-tone camo scheme so you could prime, lay down tone 1, and then use masking tape/masking liquid to create your camo pattern and then hit it with tone 2.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Blood from every orifice AND death? Tyranids don't gently caress around.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

LordAba posted:

Don't worry, your flak armor protects you against it.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

S.J. posted:

Sorry, but that just doesn't matter in any kind of realistic sense. The kinds of people that won't purchase a character because they're dead in the fluff are insignificant in any sense, but especially compared to the kinds of people who will buy them because of cool rules, cool models, or cool fluff. All you accomplish by leaving character death out of the equation is leaving out interesting stories.

One less sale is one less sale, and the point of the stories is sales. Sorry, but the idea that you can't have interesting stories without killing important characters is just immature.

E: on a more important note, those vorax look great. The throwback robots get better and better.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007

LordAba posted:

I love the order of events here. I feel the horror of the airways closing would be lessened somewhat by the rupturing organs in the previous step rendered it moot. Basically an onlooker would only notice the guy collapse and die. A quiet pause whilst his airway closes and then blood spurting out of ears and bum.

This is a pretty weak bit of background creation.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

JackMack posted:

This is a pretty weak bit of background creation.

Dude, it's supposed to be completely absurd. Note the part where you check off how witnesses should be executed.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

PeterWeller posted:

One less sale is one less sale, and the point of the stories is sales. Sorry, but the idea that you can't have interesting stories without killing important characters is just immature.

E: on a more important note, those vorax look great. The throwback robots get better and better.

Not to mention the fact that the stories where these characters get killed are created by the players, over and over again.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

LingcodKilla posted:

The twenty year old ones wearing stupid hats with a mono pose? Those were terrible.
Nah, beret stormtroopers are awesome.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

SRM posted:

Nah, beret stormtroopers are awesome.

Concept good, execution bad.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

LingcodKilla posted:

Concept good, execution bad.

Even before I was so deeply invested in retro poo poo, I still dug these models:

I also really like that they brought the berets back with the new plastics. I was checking out my friend's the other day and that's a wonderful kit.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

SRM posted:

Even before I was so deeply invested in retro poo poo, I still dug these models:

I also really like that they brought the berets back with the new plastics. I was checking out my friend's the other day and that's a wonderful kit.

I have those, about 20 all told, with a smattering of special weapons and one HW team. I do lack the sergeant though

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007

PeterWeller posted:

Dude, it's supposed to be completely absurd. Note the part where you check off how witnesses should be executed.

I am not implying anything about the concept. What is weak is the execution, the rest of the document is a faux report and then the medical 'symptoms' are not symptoms for a start, and also could at least attempt to sound lile it is written using terminology'

The four observed stages of spore inhalation
1) airway constriction - the victim reports difficulty in breathing, wheeziness and excessive respiratory secretions in response to initial contact
2) the spore is quickly absorbed in the bloodstream leading to systemic organ dysfunction
3) the subject rapidly starts to haemorrhage from the mouth, nose and eyes and digestive tract
4) death quickly follows. Risk of transmission of aerosolised spores from corpse high up to eighteen hours post mortem

There we go.

E: in fairness that will never fit into the little box but my point is it is pretty half assed.

JackMack fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Nov 2, 2014

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

SRM posted:

Ha! I loved those guys but I sold all of the normal dudes to a buddy who turned them into vets. I only kept the sergeant and a Heavy Bolter guy.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

JackMack posted:

I am not implying anything about the concept. What is weak is the execution, the rest of the document is a faux report and then the medical 'symptoms' are not symptoms for a start, and also could at least attempt to sound lile it is written using terminology'

1) airway constriction - the victim reports difficulty in breathing, wheeziness and excessive respiratory secretions in response to initial contact
2) the spore is quickly absorbed in the bloodstream leading to systemic organ dysfunction
3) the subject rapidly starts to haemorrhage from the mouth, nose and eyes and digestive tract
4) death quickly follows. Risk of transmission of aerosolised spores from corpse high up to eighteen hours post mortem

There we go.

E: in fairness that will never fit into the little box but my point is it is pretty half assed.

Nah man, you are missing the point entirely. If it was logical and informative, it wouldn't be an Imperial report.

E: those beret dudes are classic, probably my favorite oldschool IG models.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Master Twig posted:

Don't worry, your flak armor protects you against it.

Hahahaha... haha... ha :smith: we all know this is going to be true.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

HiveCommander posted:

Hahahaha... haha... ha :smith: we all know this is going to be true.

Going to be? It is true. The Toxicrene's gun is Ap -.

If it were ap 2, or hell, even 3, they might just be worth running.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Master Twig posted:

Going to be? It is true. The Toxicrene's gun is Ap -.

If it were ap 2, or hell, even 3, they might just be worth running.
Well that just confirms my fears. What other rules does the thing have that might even make it slightly worth considering?

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

HiveCommander posted:

Well that just confirms my fears. What other rules does the thing have that might even make it slightly worth considering?

The shooting attack has armorbane against open topped vehicles and vehicles that have taken at least one hull point. But it's only strength 3. It has 6 close combat attacks that are 2+ poisoned and is equipped with lash whips? Of course it's only WS3. It's strength and toughness 6. 5 wounds. 4+ armor, but also has shrouded.

It's not completely terrible, but it's not good either. Just a bit bucket of meh.

The Maleceptor on the other hand? Hot garbage. Like, I would say it's the worst Tyranid MC. (except maybe Old One Eye)

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Master Twig posted:

The shooting attack has armorbane against open topped vehicles and vehicles that have taken at least one hull point. But it's only strength 3. It has 6 close combat attacks that are 2+ poisoned and is equipped with lash whips? Of course it's only WS3. It's strength and toughness 6. 5 wounds. 4+ armor, but also has shrouded.

It's not completely terrible, but it's not good either. Just a bit bucket of meh.

The Maleceptor on the other hand? Hot garbage. Like, I would say it's the worst Tyranid MC. (except maybe Old One Eye)
How bad are we talking for that thing? Does it have something dumb like a freight-train of rules that finally lead to an FNP save like the Dimachaeron? It's a shame really, the only thing they needed to do to make that thing useable was make leaping in the movement phase a 12" move, since ignoring terrain on an oval base with 6" movement is stupid and useless.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

HiveCommander posted:

How bad are we talking for that thing? Does it have something dumb like a freight-train of rules that finally lead to an FNP save like the Dimachaeron? It's a shame really, the only thing they needed to do to make that thing useable was make leaping in the movement phase a 12" move, since ignoring terrain on an oval base with 6" movement is stupid and useless.

I would take OOE and pyrovores over it. At least they dont eat all your dice pool to try and cast a mediocre ability that misses half the time, and then requires a LD test, (3d6). All this for the amazing price of 205 points for a 5W 4+ tmc

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Nov 2, 2014

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

HiveCommander posted:

It's main power is a mastry level 2 focused witchfire (so really needs 3 successes to be useful.) Needs to roll to hit, but the Maleceptor is BS3. Target model takes a lead check on 3d6. If it fails, the model takes d3 wounds with no cover or armor allowed. 4+ armor, 5+ invuln. S&T of 6, 3 attacks at WS3. Synapse, Shadow in the Warp, ML2. 205 points.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

That's... Yeah, I see your point. Why can't Tyranids ever catch a break? :smith:

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Master Twig posted:

I mean you can look at their "test" for the model, along with the instant death rule it's a pure MC killer, that's all it does. It's really good at it, too, but it doesn't do much else.

Edit: just some mathhammer, with WS 3 it's only hitting a Riptide on 3+ so you can assume 4+ against most MCs, 5+ against greater demons/demon princes/avatar. Most MCs won't have better than a 5+ invul.

6 attacks * 1/2 * 4/6 * 2/3 = 4/3 wounds + 6 * 1/2 * 1/6 * 2/3 = 1/3 instant kill wounds per round, so it'll kill a MC in 3 turns on average with a chance to kill them instantly, and if the MC doesn't have an invul it's pretty much toast.

Actually redoing the mathhammer, it can almost kill the Avatar in combat, the only MC in the game that it won't wreck is the Bloodthirster, mainly because the Bloodthirster also has an instant kill option, and it still has a decent shot there. Huh.

It's not super fast, is the only issue, so if you have an MC or two it'll be relatively easy to avoid, but with the blast it's still good against massed troops. So it's like an anti-MC Carnifex that comes with a built in troop option.

Direwolf fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Nov 2, 2014

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The Maleceptor would've been bad even if its unique power had cost 1 charge. The fact they made it 2 for no reason really sealed the deal.

Master Twig posted:

This is anecdotal and an obviously insane outlier, but I once saw some random kid get like 12 attacks with Old One Eye. He charged and everything hit. That was one dead squad and one happy kid. :unsmith: I'd probably try running the guy if he could be part of a carnifex unit, but as-is? Nah.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Good thing this loving pain has great rules because I am not looking forward to painting the entire thing white.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

Good thing this loving pain has great rules because I am not looking forward to painting the entire thing white.

It's easy to paint things white when you prime them white

a cat youtube
Jun 25, 2013

PeterWeller posted:

Nah man, it's ultimately the same issue. The purpose of the rules and the fluff is to give you reasons to collect and play with your toys.

Look at it another way: if that story caused someone to not buy or use Eldrad, it's of no practical difference to if concerns about balance caused someone to not buy or use, I dunno, a contemptor. In both cases, the model wasn't bought or put on the table, and the fluff and rules failed at their primary purpose.

vampire counts, before all this end time stuff, had more than a handful of characters that were currently dead in the main storyline. beastmen too. their character entries were basically " these guys really hosed stuff up here's their rules". there's absolutely no reason they couldn't do that in 40k (and i'm pretty sure they have too but i'm not going through my old codexes to check).

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I believe there was a canon story with an orc going back in time and killing his past self so he could dual-wield his gun, so I don't see why you can't have a dude popping in when he's supposed to be dead.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

Safety Factor posted:

The Maleceptor would've been bad even if its unique power had cost 1 charge. The fact they made it 2 for no reason really sealed the deal.

This is anecdotal and an obviously insane outlier, but I once saw some random kid get like 12 attacks with Old One Eye. He charged and everything hit. That was one dead squad and one happy kid. :unsmith: I'd probably try running the guy if he could be part of a carnifex unit, but as-is? Nah.

I really wish he was a carnifex upgrade. He's an HQ that's not a flying hive tyrant, which is oddly enough the biggest weakness of every other HQ in that book.

I also pointed out a carnifex with the same upgrades as old one eye has. Your basically paying 25 points to give units near him lead 8.

I love his fluff and all that. He's just not good. Another tragedy of the codex.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

a cat youtube posted:

vampire counts, before all this end time stuff, had more than a handful of characters that were currently dead in the main storyline. beastmen too. their character entries were basically " these guys really hosed stuff up here's their rules". there's absolutely no reason they couldn't do that in 40k (and i'm pretty sure they have too but i'm not going through my old codexes to check).

And now they've all come back to life to make sure that everyone knows you can use them with the cool new stuff.

Beyond that, if the argument is killing these dudes leads to compelling stories, it's not a good idea to rest your case on WHFB, whose stories are best known for anticlimaxes and inconsequence. I will be very surprised if all that cool End Times stuff doesn't end with a whimper and return to status quo.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

JackMack posted:

There we go.

I actually fully agree with you - it was done really poorly.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Pyrolocutus posted:

I believe there was a canon story with an orc going back in time and killing his past self so he could dual-wield his gun, so I don't see why you can't have a dude popping in when he's supposed to be dead.
Yeah, and it led to a strange time paradox where all the now-leaderless Orks he took with him had no idea what they were doing in the first place.
I liked the old, silly fluff like that. Is there still stuff like it in the new Ork codex?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Just played a fun game with orks. Hero of the day was a killer kan. His two brethren got waxed early on but the lone grotmanz managed to catch a cullexis assassin in close combat and stomp the poo poo out of it before moving on to a wave serpent and destroying that too making it explode and kill a marine biker, wraith guard and three boyz. A twenty man unit of slugga boyz also caught a unit of warp spiders and and eversor assassin and curb stomped them too,

Fun stuff glad I finally got around to playing them.

• Locked thread