Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Toxxupation posted:

This was a really unfunny and uninteresting episode and continues the serialized episode trend of building to a reveal then at the last second showing that reveal as a red herring that doesn't resolve anything

Again this season has been a disappointment whenever the show deals with the larger metanarrative since it's not funny and the serialized storytelling is quite frankly just bad

But you have to remember, the mysteries work best as external metaphors for internal struggle for Mabel/dipper, and as pure episodic set pieces

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Suspicious Dish posted:

But you have to remember, the mysteries work best as external metaphors for internal struggle for Mabel/dipper, and as pure episodic set pieces

I know you're an idiot who doesn't understand what words mean but you don't have to keep reminding everyone of that fact, dudes

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Toxxupation posted:

This was a really unfunny and uninteresting episode and continues the serialized episode trend of building to a reveal then at the last second showing that reveal as a red herring that doesn't resolve anything

Again this season has been a disappointment whenever the show deals with the larger metanarrative since it's not funny and the serialized storytelling is quite frankly just bad

If you don't like Gravity Falls, why are you watching it?

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
This was actually a pretty good story episode, duder. It answered a relatively big question, organically fleshed out one of the recurring background characters, nicely tied into Mabel/Dipper's struggles, had plenty of good jokes, and wrapped it up in a single episode.

Gravity Falls has always been a relatively uneven show anyways, not every episodes is gonna be great funny and creepy all at once like The Inconveniencing or Soos And The Real Girl.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

This was actually a pretty good story episode, duder. It answered a relatively big question, organically fleshed out one of the recurring background characters, nicely tied into Mabel/Dipper's struggles, had plenty of good jokes, and wrapped it up in a single episode.

what big question was answered? because just like the laptop it promised to literally REVEAL ALL THE MYSTERIES OF GRAVITY FALLS and the mystery that was revealed was "someone else was responsible for everything, mcgucket was a chump, nothing was learned, oh and stan is doin more weird science poo poo"

nothing every gets answered in this show, we are no further in the grand overarcing mystery of gravity falls then we were before this episode started unless you wanna argue the society for the blind eye stuff revealed why all its residents don't just leave, which I never considered a "mystery"

it's just constant red herrings whenever the show goes back to the serialized stuff.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

How about who wrote the Journals? Because that was pretty much revealed.

Also, McGuckett's role in this whole thing. And also why this town is so oblivious to the creepy poo poo going on? Why do you want the show to play all of it's cards right away? Did you like what happened to Twin Peaks after they revealed who the killer was?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Toxxupation posted:

what big question was answered? because just like the laptop it promised to literally REVEAL ALL THE MYSTERIES OF GRAVITY FALLS and the mystery that was revealed was "someone else was responsible for everything, mcgucket was a chump, nothing was learned, oh and stan is doin more weird science poo poo"

nothing every gets answered in this show, we are no further in the grand overarcing mystery of gravity falls then we were before this episode started unless you wanna argue the society for the blind eye stuff revealed why all its residents don't just leave, which I never considered a "mystery"

it's just constant red herrings whenever the show goes back to the serialized stuff.

We learned a lot that deepened the mystery of the town though. I think it would've been moreso a red herring if we had learned a lot that was all proved false at the end.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I mean, we know that the author of the journals was a "visiting researcher". We didn't know that before this episode. Even if you don't count any of McGuckett's backstory as relevant, it was still a good story in itself, and it did lock in some details around the edges of the central mystery. Just because we don't learn the answer to The Big Question in an early episode of season 2, doesn't mean that "nothing really happened" or whatever.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

CelticPredator posted:

Also, McGuckett's role in this whole thing. And also why this town is so oblivious to the creepy poo poo going on? Why do you want the show to play all of it's cards right away? Did you like what happened to Twin Peaks after they revealed who the killer was?

the problem with twin peaks is that the show went BAD after it revealed who the killer was, not that watching it for the killer was the only reason anyone was watching the show

knowing who the killer was was barely a reason i watched twin peaks, it was more for the weird atmosphere, pacing, and characters on the show than the mystery, which is honestly resolved really stupidly so w/e

and yeah, if they went "here's who wrote all the books and what's going on" and moved past it to have dipper and mabel just fightin monsters who happen to symbolize the particular stress they're going through as children, aka when the show is at its best, yes i would much prefer that

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Toxxupation posted:

have dipper and mabel just fightin monsters who happen to symbolize the particular stress they're going through as children, aka when the show is at its best, yes i would much prefer that

How did this episode's whole "you want to forget about what troubles you, but maybe that isn't a good idea because Personal Growth" theme, as represented via an Evil Secret Society, not qualify as that?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Toxxupation posted:

Just like with Lost and its endlessly misleading previews, you probably shouldn't go with what the previews say about the show because I doubt the creators have very much say in what it says. There was no promise to reveal all the mysteries of gravity falls by anyone but Disney's misleading advertisement.

Plus the author is one of the biggest mysteries in the show. We still have over a seasons and a half left.

Toxxupation posted:

and yeah, if they went "here's who wrote all the books and what's going on" and moved past it to have dipper and mabel just fightin monsters who happen to symbolize the particular stress they're going through as children, aka when the show is at its best, yes i would much prefer that

the show is both things though so

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

With the amnesia cult gone, I expect there to be more continuity between episodes going forward.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
"Visiting researcher!?"

It's Carlos from Night Vale.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
I'm happy enough we get to cross a suspect off the list of possible journal authors. Makes a good plot episode to me.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Some Numbers posted:

If you don't like Gravity Falls, why are you watching it?

Doing poo poo that he hates in order to complain about it is kind of his thing.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

If we all agree that you are super edgy and are way, way too cool for us plebs, will you declare victory and go the gently caress away forever?

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

CelticPredator posted:

Not necessarily. Sure, Stan bandaged his hand at the end, but wasn't the main point that the author had six fingers to begin with? I always assumed the author had one of his fingers removed so he could blend in with the rest of the town, hence the bandaged hand.

Maybe the visiting researcher who wrote the books is Stan from a parallel dimension where humans evolved with six fingers, and not his "brother" at all. Gravity Falls being the nexus of parallel dimensions would certainly fit as the "secret" that the government is looking for and Stan is trying to protect.

I really don't think the episode quite lived up to the hype either. It wasn't bad, but as plot episodes go I vastly preferred Sock Opera.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I forgot about the hand thing entirely. So yeah, you're probably right.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
what's the bandaged hand have to do with it? I missed that bit

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I think it's just showing that Stan (like McGucket) is getting obsessed with his invention.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I just bought the first season of Gravity Falls and look forward to buying/watching the next few seasons.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I do like how the thread guessed it was McGucket before this episode came around.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

SlothfulCobra posted:

I do like how the thread guessed it was McGucket before this episode came around.
Before the entire season started actually.

People were talking about some Massive Production Leak before the season that had the creators really pissed off. Was that about McGucket or is that still unresolved?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's likely to have been a faked leak.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It totally was, considering that image looks nothing at all like what was in the show. Alex is a smart, sneaky bastard.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Especially given animation turnaround, if it were real, it'd have shown by now.

Pendergast
Nov 11, 2012
A picture of my nephew and me dressed up...

He had on pants because his mom didn't want him to be cold.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I really need to make a Journal. I have almost everything else.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

holy poo poo you look 10 years old

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010
Lil' Gideon - can read your mind, can't take a hint

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiV6DvYplvE

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

HelleSpud posted:

Lil' Gideon - can read your mind, can't take a hint

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiV6DvYplvE

How does this show get made by Disney? I think Alex Hirsch might be a wizard.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I wonder who Mabel's lawyer is

Leonard J Stan maybe

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Alan Smithee posted:

I wonder who Mabel's lawyer is
I imagine Stan let her borrow his; which means he's probably some shady character that specializes in getting other shady characters out of jail.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

paradoxGentleman posted:

I imagine Stan let her borrow his; which means he's probably some shady character that specializes in getting other shady characters out of jail.

must've been the same good lawyer who let Stan lose his deed to Gideon due to the 9/10ths law of possession

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Now I'm imagining Stan having Saul as his lawyer.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Alan Smithee posted:

must've been the same good lawyer who let Stan lose his deed to Gideon due to the 9/10ths law of possession

Actually, this was explained by Hirsh in some interview. Gravity Falls was founded by a crazy person and its municipal laws include all kinds of crazy stuff. Like legal marriage to woodpeckers and a "finders keepers" law.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Wittgen posted:

Actually, this was explained by Hirsh in some interview. Gravity Falls was founded by a crazy person and its municipal laws include all kinds of crazy stuff. Like legal marriage to woodpeckers and a "finders keepers" law.

The technical term is "gimmeocracy."

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

paradoxGentleman posted:

Better Call Saul.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

VaultAggie posted:

Now I'm imagining Stan having Saul as his lawyer.

Now I want that to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Stan's lawyer is just Stan in a different suit and a fake mustache or something, c'mon. Why would he PAY for representation when he can do it himself?

• Locked thread