Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
We've reached a point on the map where it seems much harder to get A ranks with two players, one of whom never plays anything but Darunia so she can hammer dudes all day every day, and occasionally Ghirahim so she can be fabulous all day every day. She still hasn't really progressed past "hammer Y and occasionally hammer B when dudes are hitting back." So on stages like Impa's or Sheik's or Midna's level 3s, too many things are going on for her to avoid damage, and on the rare occasion she can avoid damage, enemies just stop loading and it becomes hard to reach 1200 kills.

I don't want to tell her to stop playing with me because she never plays games as intense as this with me.

So although I despair of ever finishing Adventure at this rate, at least it hasn't harmed my relationship with my significant other!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

What's the best path for Lana's Level 3 summoning gate? I can B rank it just fine, I'm just a little too slow trying to get the kill requirement.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

So what's up with the Twilight Princess DLC? The official website says it's available now, but I see no sign of it on the eShop. This game owns, by the way. This is my first Warriors game and I think I'm a convert :catholic:

edit: I'm guessing it's a glitch with their website, since it just says "Available now" but still doesn't give any actual details about it.

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!

bobjr posted:

What's the best path for Lana's Level 3 summoning gate? I can B rank it just fine, I'm just a little too slow trying to get the kill requirement.

I just A-ranked it with exactly 1 second to spare. I had to look up how to screencap things on Miiverse just to make sure the accomplishment lives forever. While I don't think my route was particularly ideal, and I only won because of a clutch Agorok, here's what I did.

1. Take the outpost right by the start and fight the Dinolfos/Aerolfols that spawn next to it. One of them is one of the mission captains.
2. Head up and around to the left, taking the outpost there and the Arbiter's? Keep. The enemy one between you and the upper right corner.
3. Grab the next outpost and drop a summon or two in the horde up top, but don't actually stick around to fight Girahim/Dinolfols. Instead, head straight down to the keep where the Fire Fairy is imprisoned.
4. Take that keep to draw Impa's attention. Fight her until she's gone/Agitha needs help.
5. Go help Agitha in the Allied Base. Lots of kills happen here, along with the last captain you need to open the Enemy Base.
6. After all 3 captains are down, Rogue Troops appear near the allied base and a flood of dudes comes roaring towards the Allied Base. Tag up to the Rogue Troops to get them on your side - this will make it so you don't lose while fighting Link.
7. Go straight through the horde on your way to the Enemy Base, dropping your specials and some summons into the army as it marches towards the Allied Base.You'll want 800-900 kills at this point, which you should have if you've been dumping random Summons into every group of monsters you've found.
8. Fight Link. This takes forever, which is why it's safe to go fight him with only 800-900 kills - your Summons should get you hundreds of incidental kills because that base fills up fast.
9. Hope you finish in time, and that Link doesn't cut you up. It took me about 4:59 to beat him.

Hopefully this helps!

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

So what's up with the Twilight Princess DLC? The official website says it's available now, but I see no sign of it on the eShop. This game owns, by the way. This is my first Warriors game and I think I'm a convert :catholic:

edit: I'm guessing it's a glitch with their website, since it just says "Available now" but still doesn't give any actual details about it.

I'm guessing they have like a timer for them and when it realized it's now November it thought it was available. I'm sure it still has a couple weeks yet.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

Wild Knight posted:

We've reached a point on the map where it seems much harder to get A ranks with two players, one of whom never plays anything but Darunia so she can hammer dudes all day every day, and occasionally Ghirahim so she can be fabulous all day every day. She still hasn't really progressed past "hammer Y and occasionally hammer B when dudes are hitting back." So on stages like Impa's or Sheik's or Midna's level 3s, too many things are going on for her to avoid damage, and on the rare occasion she can avoid damage, enemies just stop loading and it becomes hard to reach 1200 kills.

I don't want to tell her to stop playing with me because she never plays games as intense as this with me.

So although I despair of ever finishing Adventure at this rate, at least it hasn't harmed my relationship with my significant other!

I'm a broken record at this point, but have you tried sticking together? It lets the game spawn as many enemies as one-player, so you can combine your damage and crowd-clearing to be like a Super One Player. Just ask her to follow you on those kinds of missions. The only downside is knocking enemies out of each other's specials, but just announce beforehand or just deal with it I guess.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Speaking of unlocking weapons, you people weren't kidding about Volga's level 3 weapon unlock being super easy to get, especially considering how easy it is to get to that square on the map. I guess I'll be putting off getting the level 2 weapon as long as possible now.

Is there a guide for how to get there? I haven't bothered with the Master Quest map all that much since it seemed way more difficult and I'm still missing loads on the Adventure map. But you say it's a piece of cake?

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010
gently caress, how do you play Fi? Sure she's super agile and moves around a lot and can do decent AOE.... but it seems the game just slams to a halt as soon as I fight any boss or decently guarding captain. I try to keep her light meter up the whole time... but she just seems so slow to deal damage and build up the weakness meter (except I was able to do it really fast on The Imprisoned in that quiz map... but all other enemies seem to take so long).

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

Wild Knight posted:

Try getting her the defense badges if you're on an elemental recommended stage - they really do help. Also what Locke said:

Locke Dunnegan posted:

I'm a broken record at this point, but have you tried sticking together? It lets the game spawn as many enemies as one-player, so you can combine your damage and crowd-clearing to be like a Super One Player. Just ask her to follow you on those kinds of missions. The only downside is knocking enemies out of each other's specials, but just announce beforehand or just deal with it I guess.

By the way, I think it's really neat to hear these kind of co-op stories! I am definitely surprised at how awesome Hyrule Warriors turned out, and it's great to hear other people enjoying it as well.

MaxDuo posted:

gently caress, how do you play Fi? Sure she's super agile and moves around a lot and can do decent AOE.... but it seems the game just slams to a halt as soon as I fight any boss or decently guarding captain. I try to keep her light meter up the whole time... but she just seems so slow to deal damage and build up the weakness meter (except I was able to do it really fast on The Imprisoned in that quiz map... but all other enemies seem to take so long).

Fi is definitely better at crowd clearing than single targets. Make sure you're not underleveled, and try to get the weakpoint and guard damage badges if you haven't. For giant bosses I think her best combo for draining the weakness meter is the colorful sword-spin (her C6). For captains, if a normal attack does decent damage you might just try dancing around them - do two or three normal attacks, dodge behind them, repeat. That will clear out any surrounding mooks and can take captains down decently quickly as long as your normal attack does decent damage. Also, if you knock a captain in the air with her C5 (I think that's it - the one where she spirals into the air and dives down), you dodge out of it and start juggling as long as you can catch them.

I got better use out of Fi after I got all the Din's Fire badges to charge her special quickly. Because she's good at crowd clearing you should be able to charge specials easily and can use them against captains for a decent chunk of damage.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

All I want for DLC Christmas is a VS Cucco weapon type.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Fix posted:

All I want for DLC Christmas is a Cucco weapon type.

There we go

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Is there a guide for how to get there? I haven't bothered with the Master Quest map all that much since it seemed way more difficult and I'm still missing loads on the Adventure map. But you say it's a piece of cake?

You can move the cursor over any space and see what the rewards are, although for pieces of heart or heart containers they'll just be question marks. Volga's level 3 is in the second row from the bottom and over toward the right, something like the 10th column from the left. If I'm remembering right, you'll need a harp to reveal enemies and a candle to burn a particular bush.

As for people asking about Fi, when it comes to captains and playable characters, the best way to reduce weak point might be her C2. You want to whiff the weak attack before the launcher, though, because a lot of PCs can recover out of it and punish her as she floats down. After the launch, you can time another strong attack dive to hit them for a bit more damage. If you have special meter built up, you can instead just wait for the weak point to appear and pop a special, then chase them down to get the weak point smash. There are very few captains and PCs where this kind of approach doesn't work. Stalmasters, for instance, recover from being weak point smashable almost immediately after getting up from a special like that.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

e: nevermind, I'm just angry. Sorry.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Nov 1, 2014

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

You did buy Zelda's Magic Armor badges right?

You can do it. It's probably the hardest (non-bullshit) level in the game.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Locke Dunnegan posted:

Does anyone know if this is the only way to realistically play two player? This is the only time my decision to purchase something has hinged on information. I would need to do some significant convincing to get my fiance involved in this and almost certainly purchase a pro controller, but what I would really like to be able to do is split up to complete objectives. Like yes, it's nice to have someone else with you in missions where you're stuck with a horde of officers to beat, but there are a lot of maps in which I'd like to, say, have one of us take keeps while the other rescues allied troops or have one person defend the allied base while the other defeats enemy officers.

Forming strategies together could be cool and could get her invested, but "Follow me and mash combos to distract the baddies so that I don't take too much damage" is more Little Brother material and neither of my brothers live with me anymore.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

The only problem with splitting up is that not as many enemies spawn on each screen. In one player or with both players near each other, Ganondorf's C6 well clear the base, but when split up it will only take out like half.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

You did buy Zelda's Magic Armor badges right?

You can do it. It's probably the hardest (non-bullshit) level in the game.

Yeah, that was the problem; I only had the bronze lightning armor. Turns out I just needed two ReDead bandages and a Midna's Hair to max it out, and I did it on the second try.

Now I never have to do that again!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Okay, what the hell happens if you manage to get someone's level 3 before their level 2? I have both of the Summoning Gate ones available.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

Okay, what the hell happens if you manage to get someone's level 3 before their level 2? I have both of the Summoning Gate ones available.

it is unlocked but you won't get Level 2 item drops. Same goes for if you unlock Level 2 or 3 before unlocking level 1.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
^^^ You definitely also unlock the level 2. I did Link's level 2 gauntlets mission before level 1 and I definitely got both silver and gold gauntlets, and I definitely got level 2 Volga spears after doing Volga's level 3.

Bear in mind that the summoning gate level 3 is going to be really difficult using a level 1 gate.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

ImpAtom posted:

it is unlocked but you won't get Level 2 item drops. Same goes for if you unlock Level 2 or 3 before unlocking level 1.

Actually I got a level 2 Volga Spear despite not unlocking that tier a short while after unlocking his level 3.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

Volga's spear is probably the only level where this is reasonably possible anyway just from how difficult the level 3's are. You're welcome to try to do Lana's level 3 with a level 1 gate but considering it's among the ones people complain about the most in this thread, I don't think you'll be able to do it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Actually I got a level 2 Volga Spear despite not unlocking that tier a short while after unlocking his level 3.

That's really weird. I unlocked a few Level 3/Level 2 weapons first and literally never saw Tier 2 or 1 weapons until I unlocked them. IT was most obvious with Link's Great Fairy where I never saw the Level 1 despite getting a bunch of higher tiers regularly until it was unlocked.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

ImpAtom posted:

That's really weird. I unlocked a few Level 3/Level 2 weapons first and literally never saw Tier 2 or 1 weapons until I unlocked them. IT was most obvious with Link's Great Fairy where I never saw the Level 1 despite getting a bunch of higher tiers regularly until it was unlocked.

I unlocked the L2 fairy first, and the first I got as a random drop was a L1.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Regy Rusty posted:

Volga's spear is probably the only level where this is reasonably possible anyway just from how difficult the level 3's are. You're welcome to try to do Lana's level 3 with a level 1 gate but considering it's among the ones people complain about the most in this thread, I don't think you'll be able to do it.

Her level 2 is beating my rear end almost as badly as the Link's fairy one, so I don't anticipate beating the level 3 before it, but my curiosity had to be satiated.

9 weapons left to get: both of the summoning gate upgrades, both fairy upgrades, the level 3 for Lana's book, Darunia's hammer, Zelda's baton, Zant's whatever and Agitha's parasol.

I don't even want to try Agitha's. I really need to convince somebody to be my second player.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It is a pity that the online capabilities aren't robust enough to have handled online co-op. It would be fun to be able to help out some of you guys.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Yeah, that was the problem; I only had the bronze lightning armor. Turns out I just needed two ReDead bandages and a Midna's Hair to max it out, and I did it on the second try.

Now I never have to do that again!

That's great! Yeah that's what it took for me too, they make a huge difference. Unfortunately almost none of the Level 3 weapons have recommended elements, but at least very few of them have the same incredibly low damage requirements.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Nov 2, 2014

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

It is a pity that the online capabilities aren't robust enough to have handled online co-op. It would be fun to be able to help out some of you guys.
I'd just settle for someone helping my Network Link. I haven't gotten anything off that yet.

quote:

That's great! Yeah that's what it took for me too, they make a huge difference. Unfortunately almost none of the Level 3 weapons have recommended elements, but at least very few of them have the same incredibly low damage requirements.
Well, I just got Link's level 3 sword; I finally got around to using Epona and holy poo poo you can juggle people for days.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

ImpAtom posted:

Aren't the levels of weapon drops affected by the difficulty of the level? Maybe you just didn't see level 1 drops for a while because you were only doing harder levels.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
Is there some sort of trick to Zelda's tier 3 baton mission? it just seems like there are so many monsters and things going on it's impossible to manage.
I take out the 3 bombchus, try to hold the 3 keeps, get swarmed at my base with the 4th bombchu, and while I'm destroying the hordes of enemies there, it goes down

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Is there some sort of trick to Zelda's tier 3 baton mission? it just seems like there are so many monsters and things going on it's impossible to manage.
I take out the 3 bombchus, try to hold the 3 keeps, get swarmed at my base with the 4th bombchu, and while I'm destroying the hordes of enemies there, it goes down

There is! There are a couple of missions like this (Zant's level 2, this one, Defeat The Demon King) where you start off with a bunch of severely underpowered allies, and have enemies who can be powered up. They're challenging if you don't know what you're doing, but there are some specific things you can do to completely turn the tides.

First you need to understand the two morale mechanics in play. The most important one is your side's morale - as you kill enemies, your people are going to get steadily powered up. It happens in increments of 200 kills, until you've killed 1000 enemies. Once you've killed 1000 enemies your entire army gets a massive boost of morale, and some groups of them will become glowing blue high morale units at which point, as long as your base is relatively intact, you're pretty much guaranteed a win because they're going to push back hard and start taking keeps on their own. So you need to keep your base safe and get to 1000 as soon as possible.

The other morale mechanic is enemy morale. If they capture keeps that you're protecting specific set groups of enemies will get red glowing high morale and become extremely dangerous as they march on your base. You may think you want to stop this from happening at all, but in fact, the high morale can be easily neutralized if you know how it works. Morale is actually linked to the slightly larger trash enemy types - the ones who can act as Raid Captains or Outpost captains. In every group of glowing enemies there are several of these guys who are unlabled and untargetable. But if you kill them, the morale boost for their group of enemies goes away. So if you have red glowing enemies, you want to hunt these guys down and kill them immediately, and then take out any powered up captains. That way your base is being attacked only by mostly harmless, non glowing mooks.

The second thing, and this is the real trick to making these missions a joke, is that you can prolong the first phase of the battle as long as you want or need, by just abandoning one of your keeps and letting the bombchu take it. The mission won't progress to the final phase with the fourth bombchu and the advancing of the whole enemy until you recapture that keep. This lets you take as long as you need to clear out the stationary bombchu, and kill as many enemies as you want before recapturing the keep and triggering the final phase. You'll have to contend with one set of powered up enemies, but once you know how to deal with them they aren't a threat.

You still need to move fast to get an A-Rank so try to take out the biggest threats quickly and then coincide getting 1000 kills with retaking the other keep so that anyone who is left advancing on your base will be easily kept off while you go fight the boss and get your last 200 kills for the A-Rank.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
Has anyone put up any numerical data for how much of a bonus the various weapon skills add? I'd love to know exactly what percentage things like 'Vs Legend' or 'Strength II' or 'Compatriot' add so that I can properly weigh them against more powerful weapons that lack high quality abilities. I can't count the number of times I've had a 420 attack weapon filled with stuff like +Hearts and +Boomerang, and a ~380 or so weapon with damage boosting stuff like +Strong Attack and +Twilight.

I know that none of it really matters in the end since you hit a point where your level is high enough that you can roll over almost anything, but the statistics geek inside me desperately wants to be able to make accurate comparisons.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
No one knows-no one's bothered to get the numbers. It's an odd thing: The Warriors games don't get hacked up for data much. Even DW8XLComplete doesn't have proper data, as far as I'm aware, and that's on the PC, so in an easy position to hack up for data.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Some of these Adventure Mode battles are a little ridiculous. Beat Ganon, Ghoma and King Dodongo as Ganondorf? Lol ok bro

What combo is good for Ganondorf to do weak point smashes on bosses? I assume BY is good for generals/whatever because it launches them, even if it's super weak and kinda lovely.

Also I tried to get the hard mode Skulltula as Ganondorf fighting Zelda and Link and ugh I dealt with one of them so long to other reached my base and then they both did and ugh it's tough to stall long enough to beat them enough times for the Skulltula to appear

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Some of these Adventure Mode battles are a little ridiculous. Beat Ganon, Ghoma and King Dodongo as Ganondorf? Lol ok bro

What combo is good for Ganondorf to do weak point smashes on bosses? I assume BY is good for generals/whatever because it launches them, even if it's super weak and kinda lovely.

I thought the same about the level 14 boss fighting stage at first, but later on it became my go to spot to relax with a nice easy stage. Level 3 weapons make a huge difference. Ganondorf's BBBBY is what you want for giant bosses, it'll do more than half damage in a single blow to the guys in that stage.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

Naerasa posted:

Has anyone put up any numerical data for how much of a bonus the various weapon skills add? I'd love to know exactly what percentage things like 'Vs Legend' or 'Strength II' or 'Compatriot' add so that I can properly weigh them against more powerful weapons that lack high quality abilities. I can't count the number of times I've had a 420 attack weapon filled with stuff like +Hearts and +Boomerang, and a ~380 or so weapon with damage boosting stuff like +Strong Attack and +Twilight.

I know that none of it really matters in the end since you hit a point where your level is high enough that you can roll over almost anything, but the statistics geek inside me desperately wants to be able to make accurate comparisons.

Similar to this, is there truth to the idea that harder difficulties / harder Adventure Mode stages give better drops? And if so, has there been any look into numerically what extent or is it all just testimonial?

Trying to get Link's Scarfs to complete Midna's badges. Thought I'd do the Legend/Free Mode stage where you fight all the Dark Links. Now I have 30+ Link Boots. :argh:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

CatsPajamas posted:

Similar to this, is there truth to the idea that harder difficulties / harder Adventure Mode stages give better drops? And if so, has there been any look into numerically what extent or is it all just testimonial?

Trying to get Link's Scarfs to complete Midna's badges. Thought I'd do the Legend/Free Mode stage where you fight all the Dark Links. Now I have 30+ Link Boots. :argh:

It's all testemonial, but I only started rolling in gold drops (not 100% but noticably more frequent) when I started working on the top 2 rows of the map so I think there's substance to it. Each run giving me a scarf or Fi's gem or whatever really made those tough weapon unlocks worth the attempts.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I have a feeling that if you did that Dark Link map on Hero, you'd get a lot more scarves.

(Don't do this.)

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

CatsPajamas posted:

I'm pretty sure a loading screen tip specifically says to play harder maps for better drops.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Yes, that's always been a Warriors mechanic. You want the better stuff to drop? Play harder difficulties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Illustration number 4 complete! Just 5 Skulltulas to go to complete the final one.

Unfortunately, among those are the Skulltulas in Zelda's rank 3 baton and Zant's rank 3 scimitars missions. Ugh.

• Locked thread