Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I spent hours flushing the old rusty coolant out of my car, and now that the insides aren't coated in rust the radiator leaks from where the plastic end tanks meet the aluminum middle section. gently caress
Bonus nasty coolant pics:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Got a second hand set of All Terrains fitted onto my steel rims and put them on today.

Means Im not going to destroy my $400 a corner Toyo Mud terrains on the 110km a day commute too and from work

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Viggen posted:

Does it explain what the hell Ric Ocasek Jr is doing with an intercooler?

Well, he was the lead singer for The Cars.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Viggen posted:

Does it explain what the hell Ric Ocasek Jr is doing with an intercooler?

Possibly, it's not like I ever read it.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

I bought my rides new accommodations. The under-house garage comfortably fits two cars end-to-end as well as having the workshop area and enough room to store lawn equipment, snow blowers, etc. on the side. The detached garage fits one large SUV comfortable with several feet on each side to walk around.

Accompanied by some more room to spread out. The only neighbor you can see is actually a tree farm.

Edit: Don't go full size on the panoramas unless you have 5 monitors side by side.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Nov 1, 2014

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Hey guys you remember those power steering recalls on Cobalts, G5s, HHRs, etc several years ago? The one that they just recently changed from a TSB to a recall on the Ion, despite it being the exact same part?

I'm going to have popeye arms by the end of the week. Even at 70 mph you need almost Herculean strength to even negotiate a curve, and I was actually lifting myself out of the seat turning into my neighborhood. I get the feeling I'm fighting both the rack and the motor.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Broke the Niva... I think. it's surprisingly hard to tell.
Had to do a mad dash all over town before closing trying to find a goddamn cake board. I wailed on it a little too hard I think and now various parts are making all sorts of groaning, tinkling, grinding and thunking. still drives about the same though. Tough little bastard it is.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Imperador do Brasil posted:

I bought my rides new accommodations. The under-house garage comfortably fits two cars end-to-end as well as having the workshop area and enough room to store lawn equipment, snow blowers, etc. on the side. The detached garage fits one large SUV comfortable with several feet on each side to walk around.

Accompanied by some more room to spread out. The only neighbor you can see is actually a tree farm.

Edit: Don't go full size on the panoramas unless you have 5 monitors side by side.

Your propane is at a rather jaunty angle!

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Ferremit posted:

Your propane is at a rather jaunty angle!

And the deck above it is all jagged. I blame the iPhone panorama stitching software.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Put it away. I'm still amazed it fits even though I've done it a few times now.

Fuelslt1
Jun 23, 2007
Maybe if I sell enough undercoating, I'll eventually stop being a gigantic prick.
I plastidipped my WRX today.

Before

During

After (Still need to do some touch up work)

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Replaced one of the rear wheel hubs on my ZX2.
Most of the time was spent fighting with these loving lugs:

Because of the shape they don't fit any of my lug wrenches, and the one that was close enough to turn them was too big to fit into the recess in the wheel so I had to hammer the loving thing in there to get the lugs loose.
The rest was pretty easy by comparison.
New hub in place:

Old hub:

Changing out that hub got rid of that loud whining/howling sound the car made at speed. I've got another new hub for the other side but didn't have time to swap it tonight.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

SperginMcBadposter posted:

Because of the shape they don't fit any of my lug wrenches, and the one that was close enough to turn them was too big to fit into the recess in the wheel so I had to hammer the loving thing in there to get the lugs loose.
The rest was pretty easy by comparison.
New hub in place:

Old hub:

Changing out that hub got rid of that loud whining/howling sound the car made at speed. I've got another new hub for the other side but didn't have time to swap it tonight.

That's a security nut, there should be a special socket for it somewhere. They're supposed to be left in the glove box or by the spare/jack, but previous owners are idiots. In the future, take it to a tire shop and ask the guy to take it off and replace it with a normal nut. They usually have a large collection of keys for that kind of thing.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Raluek posted:

That's a security nut, there should be a special socket for it somewhere. They're supposed to be left in the glove box or by the spare/jack, but previous owners are idiots. In the future, take it to a tire shop and ask the guy to take it off and replace it with a normal nut. They usually have a large collection of keys for that kind of thing.

Haha really? Well they don't even work because I got them all out with the 17mm end of a lug wrench.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Haha really? Well they don't even work because I got them all out with the 17mm end of a lug wrench.

That's basically business as usual for security lugs. Other methods of removal involve hammering on a cheap-rear end socket and throwing out the whole thing after getting it off, but they're usually pretty bad at actually securing your wheels. Glad to see your noise is fixed :)

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum
Replaced the bulbs on my ranger with silvania silverstars. Took off the idle air control valve and hosed it hard with some cleaner to get all the carbon out.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Yeah as mentioned, security lug nuts are fairly easy to defeat. They're basically intended to make a would-be thief skip your car in search of lower hanging fruit. If someone wants your wheels badly enough you can't really stop them short of parking your car in a secure garage.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

These might be some of the best photographs of wrenching on poo poo I've ever seen posted, well done.

e; not sarcasm

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Terrible Robot posted:

These might be some of the best photographs of wrenching on poo poo I've ever seen posted, well done.

e; not sarcasm

They're very artistically lit.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Sort of fixed the power steering.

Went to pull the fuse out. Noticed it was kinda melted, and lifted right out with no resistance. New fuse dropped right in, didn't feel any resistance at all. Used a key to bend the prongs in the socket out a bit. Fuse is now tight.

PS still cuts out time to time, I need to get off my rear end and get it fixed.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

some texas redneck posted:

Sort of fixed the power steering.

Went to pull the fuse out. Noticed it was kinda melted, and lifted right out with no resistance. New fuse dropped right in, didn't feel any resistance at all. Used a key to bend the prongs in the socket out a bit. Fuse is now tight.

PS still cuts out time to time, I need to get off my rear end and get it fixed.

just stick an auto resetting breaker in there instead and enjoy gaining and losing power steering at random intervals. Safe.

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

Back when I was actively driving I drove Akina even in my dreams
I think circuit breakers are common for window motors. If they're frozen with ice or whatever it'll just trip that. Once the breaker cools and closes the circuit you'll have power windows again, assuming the mechanical resistance of frozen shut windows has gone.

Can someone tell me if this is my fault?

Pulling into the driveway after an autocross I heard my front sway bar snap. This is a hollow 22mm Strano bar. Did it snap because it's hollow, or did I gently caress something up?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

They don't usually snap unless them've been damaged. Was it crushed or hit by something?

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

Motronic posted:

They don't usually snap unless them've been damaged. Was it crushed or hit by something?

No.

It was on the car when I bought it, but I just installed coilovers. Those came with shortened endlinks and I rotated the bar up to meet them, maybe I should have disconnected and re-greased it, but it didn't seem to be binding at the event.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Motronic posted:

FOD is most likely, mostly because that doesn't look rusty.

Some of the early Cobb bars would snap because they had a dimple from the pipe bender that would catch a nice pool of salt water like a bowl during the winter. After that, any rock chip is basically an excuse to weaken the bar at a nearly-ninety-degree bend and snappo.

Source: This bar sitting in my garage waiting for Slung Blade to turn it into knives:

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I put it away.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

Chriskory posted:

I think circuit breakers are common for window motors. If they're frozen with ice or whatever it'll just trip that. Once the breaker cools and closes the circuit you'll have power windows again, assuming the mechanical resistance of frozen shut windows has gone.

Can someone tell me if this is my fault?

Pulling into the driveway after an autocross I heard my front sway bar snap. This is a hollow 22mm Strano bar. Did it snap because it's hollow, or did I gently caress something up?

Two things jump out at me:
- looking at the bottom edge of the bar in your second period the fractured surface looks rusty. This would point to a preexisting crack.
- the profile of the bar looks quite squished, which would mean that there could be stress risers introduced from forming that would contribute to my first point, and are in line with what SSS posted: I.e. a small imperfection leads to a bigger one etc

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

This is probably terrible car poo poo, but it's my own car. :v:

These are my winters, which I think look gnarly.

It's blaze plastidip, which does not peel off near as easy as the internet would have you believe. I tried to use note cards around the lip but they wouldn't stay in so I said screw it. Turns out this tire has a ton of little ridges (like a file or something) so it got stuck in those and wouldn't peel as one huge sheet. What a pain in the rear end.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Nov 3, 2014

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Timmy Cruise posted:

Two things jump out at me:
- looking at the bottom edge of the bar in your second period the fractured surface looks rusty. This would point to a preexisting crack.
- the profile of the bar looks quite squished, which would mean that there could be stress risers introduced from forming that would contribute to my first point, and are in line with what SSS posted: I.e. a small imperfection leads to a bigger one etc

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Between the rust (a rust pockmark in the surface of the bar is an excellent stress riser) and the fact that the breakage clearly radiated out from the rusty spot, there's the cause of your failure.

Keep your springs, torsion bars, and sway bars painted, especially at points of high stress. Rust and pitting are to be avoided.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!
Upgraded to an alloy radiator in my scrubber skyline with barely any swearing.

Old crap plastic tank:

Side by side safety shoes:

Alloy tank in:

Bonus 'Open ya Bastard' from the creators of 'Start ya Bastard':

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
What kind of bottles does that open?

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

Oh any type of beer I'd guess.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Australia is like America's cool cousin that everyone wants to hang out with (until the wildlife appears and everyone runs for the hills, that is.)

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 230 days!)

Fucknag posted:

Australia is like America's cool cousin that everyone wants to hang out with (until the wildlife appears and everyone runs for the hills, that is.)

..until they get liquored up and they start slurring about how dark the neighborhood is getting.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Viggen posted:

..until they get liquored up and they start slurring about how dark the neighborhood is getting.

I did say they're America's cousin.

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

kastein posted:

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Between the rust (a rust pockmark in the surface of the bar is an excellent stress riser) and the fact that the breakage clearly radiated out from the rusty spot, there's the cause of your failure.

Keep your springs, torsion bars, and sway bars painted, especially at points of high stress. Rust and pitting are to be avoided.

Sent Sam Strano an email and the photos, he wrote back "It seems a batch of bad tube is the cause."

I didn't buy it from him (it was on the car when I got it) but he seems like may take care of it. Not that it comes with some unlimited warranty or something.
The shortened endlinks for my coilovers might had added some strain too, but I'm assured it ain't my fault.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

tobu posted:

Oh any type of beer I'd guess.

A company I previously worked for gave out logoed versions of those years ago. Was my absolute favorite bottle opener. So easy to use after you'd had a couple. The problem was they were prone to breakage. We experienced about a 50% failure rate after <10 bottles opened. I had one that lasted 3 years. It was a sad, sad day when that finally gave up the ghost.

I picked up a Gropener during a kickstarter. While it's easy to use and always handy with that magnet, it's not the same.

MiNDRiVE
Nov 8, 2012
New gas cap. I got sick of my car throwing bullshit codes.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Laughed hysterically while a 12x6 inch chunk of clearcoat flapped wildly on my hood, then tore off and flew away on the highway. The guy behind me flipped me off, pretty sure he thought I threw a plastic bag out the window.

I'm not sure if it is a factory hood or a bad paintjob on a replacement panel sometime in the past, but either way, I need to get one with the same paint color off a junkyard car sooner rather than later. This one looks like rear end.

Also ran a new passenger front brake hardline on my dad's Ranger and removed the rest of the rusty bits from the front frame+crossmember area. Reconstruction begins tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

kastein posted:

Laughed hysterically while a 12x6 inch chunk of clearcoat flapped wildly on my hood, then tore off and flew away on the highway. The guy behind me flipped me off, pretty sure he thought I threw a plastic bag out the window.

I'm not sure if it is a factory hood or a bad paintjob on a replacement panel sometime in the past, but either way, I need to get one with the same paint color off a junkyard car sooner rather than later. This one looks like rear end.

Also ran a new passenger front brake hardline on my dad's Ranger and removed the rest of the rusty bits from the front frame+crossmember area. Reconstruction begins tonight.

We had that happen to my parents' Caravan in the 90s, although it was colour and clearcoat. Big sheet of it (like a 3x4 feet chunk) just came right off the roof at highway speeds.