Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

vOv posted:

Calling it: the plot is about Sarkhan going back in time to help Ugin win the battle; the third set is Tarkir but with dragons everywhere. Ugin as a colorless planeswalker either in this set or the next.

Didn't we already know that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Huh. That's certainly bridging the gap between the wedge set and and something, but I don't know what the other thing is.

Actually, based on the modal spell: Since the first set is all non-dragons, the third set is 100% dragons. It's like poetry. It rhymes.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father

Ramos posted:

It was the leading theory for sure.

If anyone is interested in Ascendancy combo, they should be tuning into scg right about now. The announcers are floored after a turn four victory, and its now 7-0.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God

40 alternate DRAGONIFIED arts at the prerelease

The final set of Tarkir block is Dragons of Tarkir.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Chorocojo posted:

Duel Decks: Elspeth vs. Kiora

I was expecting Elspeth vs. Xenagos because that makes more sense to me but this is still cool.

I'm going to assume everyone will get the same 2 Alt-art cards, Token and Land ala the Dragon's Maze Prerelease.

E: OH MY! 40 POSSIBLE ALTS!?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Ramos posted:

We did about as much as we do now, yeah. People made that bet before.

I know I posted I hope they "reverse" the fetches to the enemy colors in the third set with living dragons, which would make for an awesome complete theme.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
:fap: Holy poo poo, I'm building that Jeskai Heroic Combo deck. It is the perfect mix of everything I love playing in Magic. Stupid synergies, weenies, and my three favorite colors.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Dr. Stab posted:

Huh. That's certainly bridging the gap between the wedge set and and something, but I don't know what the other thing is.

Actually, based on the modal spell: Since the first set is all non-dragons, the third set is 100% dragons. It's like poetry. It rhymes.

Obviously it's bridging to the third set having mana costs entirely in hybrid mana, causing players' brains to fuse as they try to determine exactly what they can cast from their hands at any given moment.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Cernunnos posted:

I was expecting Elspeth vs. Xenagos because that makes more sense to me but this is still cool.

I'm going to assume everyone will get the same 2 Alt-art cards, Token and Land ala the Dragon's Maze Prerelease.

You get two out of a possible FORTY.

EDIT: Question time says Tamiyo is still alive and Wizards wants her to come back. May replace Jace periodically.
IT'S HAPPENING. at some point. in the future maybe

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Chorocojo posted:

EDIT2:
Temur's past leader.

:swoon:

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Dragonshifted Ghostfire Blade alternate art

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Chorocojo posted:

The final set of Tarkir block is Dragons of Tarkir.

Nobody didn't see this coming.

I was hoping for something more creative but alas.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Cernunnos posted:

Well yeah, we had the copyright for it like a year ago so.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
/\/\/\: I did not know this.

Chorocojo posted:

EDIT: Question time says Tamiyo is still alive and Wizards wants her to come back. May replace Jace periodically.
IT'S HAPPENING. at some point. in the future maybe

Kamigawa lives on through her.

The world deserves more of her since apparently we can't have more Kamigawa. :smith:

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Cernunnos posted:

It's kind of the simplest and most straightforward name for the set given the plot, so frankly I think it's a fair choice.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Oh my. The alternate-timeline cards are a really neat idea.

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!
Predicting Dragon-Khans.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
I reaaaalllllly want to see that ascendancy heroic deck play a game without the ascendancy. If it really functions well enough without it, then goodbye 4 color hello heroes.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Zorak posted:

It's kind of the simplest and most straightforward name for the set given the plot, so frankly I think it's a fair choice.
I feel like he's complaining about the simplicity of the plot, actually.

But I don't know, I think there's some bad rear end potential here. The Khans in all honestly don't sound like good people, maybe Ugin's Dragons are the team we need to take down the Eldrazi.

Plus it'll be nice to Bolas lose, dude sucks.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Aaron Forsythe just "emergency banned" Treasure Cruise related questions at this panel.

Spiderdrake posted:

I feel like he's complaining about the simplicity of the plot, actually.

It's not really the crux of the plot so much as the general setting. Like all Magic setting details are pretty straight forward because they have to sell it on the basis of a very easy to understand pitch so that people who aren't the hugest nerds know what's going on.

"Warlords are fighting each other in a world of dead Dragons, dude goes back in time to save a particular dragon back when the clans were fighting against the dragons, now the dragons are loving everywhere and ???"

Zorak fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Nov 2, 2014

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

A baby pre-release pack with the alternate art gimmick is really neat and I hope things like that take the place of the lame seeded boosters in the future.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Ciprian Maricon posted:

A baby pre-release pack with the alternate art gimmick is really neat and I hope things like that take the place of the lame seeded boosters in the future.

BAD NEWS: seeded backs are still a thing ala Khans, the alternate art things are something on the side?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
A 5 mana sweeper in black could maybe almost make UB control a real thing.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Entropic posted:

A 5 mana sweeper in black could maybe almost make UB control a real thing.

I agree. Reprint Damnation. 4's better than 5.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Ciprian Maricon posted:

lmao seriously dude? It's not like you lost out on a pro tour win, you hosed up and got a game loss for it, just shrug it off.

A game loss that resulted in a match loss that knocked me out of the one big tournament I can play in a year when I was super far ahead in life and cards and my opponent was dead on board that turn.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Ooh, I just noticed Hybrid Mana is back.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Zorak posted:

BAD NEWS: seeded backs are still a thing ala Khans, the alternate art things are something on the side?

seeded based on clans still? or is it gonna be like dragons vs non-dragons, or ugin vs bolas?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Rabble Bots looks sweet, I may try it out.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

A game loss that resulted in a match loss that knocked me out of the one big tournament I can play in a year when I was super far ahead in life and cards and my opponent was dead on board that turn.

Yeah, that's real sad. We've all got a million bad beat stories dude. If you want people to commiserate that's one thing but "I'm gonna quit competitive magic" makes you look like a giant baby. Don't draw extra cards, or at the very least just shake your head and move on when you gently caress it up.

Zorak posted:

I figured, it's just a cool gimmick, and I hope that's the sort of gimmick they use in the future to pump pre-releases in the future. Instead of the clan/guild choice stuff.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Pyronic posted:

seeded based on clans still? or is it gonna be like dragons vs non-dragons, or ugin vs bolas?

Still five single-color ostensibly clan-based. I don't know if they went into more details than that.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Entropic posted:

Ooh, I just noticed Hybrid Mana is back.

Looks like they're just using it for effects, not mana costs. So, no new devotion shenanigans.

As for the new setting, it looks like we'll be seeing the predecessors of each of the 5 khans each being their clan's primary color with a hybrid effect that runs off the clan's ally color.

We were all bitching about color pie violations earlier. It's nice to see green get treason on a stick that is better than red's treason on a stick. :argh:

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Cernunnos posted:

I would assume because so many RG duel decks and never a UG.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Yeah, that's real sad. We've all got a million bad beat stories dude. If you want people to commiserate that's one thing but "I'm gonna quit competitive magic" makes you look like a giant baby. Don't draw extra cards, or at the very least just shake your head and move on when you gently caress it up.

Would you prefer "I'm not going to spend 2 weeks and 150 dollars for something that's ultimately not worth it by any metric"?

I don't find it worth doing anymore, plain and simple. It's not worth the hassle of building a deck.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Would you prefer "I'm not going to spend 2 weeks and 150 dollars for something that's ultimately not worth it by any metric"?

I don't find it worth doing anymore, plain and simple. It's not worth the hassle of building a deck.

But think how fun it would have been if you hadn't cheated misplayed and drawn an extra card

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Look dude, I'm not trying to dump on you or anything but there's a huge difference between "man that tournament was not as fun as i hoped and i don't think ill do that anymore" and "i lost and that ruins everything for me"

It's pretty sad if losing a game ruined the entire event for you. What did you expect to win your first ever GP or whatever?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Devor posted:

But think how fun it would have been if you hadn't cheated misplayed and drawn an extra card

Sorry I got caught up with Keranos ability man :shrug:

Like my own opponent appealed the judges ruling on it saying he could clearly identify the drawn card

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Nov 2, 2014

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

TheKingofSprings posted:

In the years I have played competitive Magic, I have accidentally drawn an extra card once, and that's because I wasn't focused and drew the cards I was looking at with Sensei's Top.

Stop being sloppy and stop blaming the game for your issues.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Everyone gotta work hard to live up to the workmanlike play skill of Pussy Snorkel

YourHumbleMessiah
Oct 11, 2005

Can I just say I love this Jeskai Heroic Combo insanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

loving Jeskai Ascendancy...

• Locked thread