Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
The first good episode of this run but it was a really good episode that almost made up for the rest. Shame that loving Robin Hood one makes that an impossible feat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'

Regarde Aduck posted:

The first good episode of this run but it was a really good episode that almost made up for the rest. Shame that loving Robin Hood one makes that an impossible feat.

Robin Hood ep literally had the Doctor ask the most obnoxious man alive if anyone ever punched him in the face for being such a human being. I refuse to dislike it on those grounds alone.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
He also gave Robin Hood the finger. That episode redeems itself

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Nevvy Z posted:

The founder's name is Dr. Skarosa. It's one of those little things the Master would do just so he could later gloat and say "How did you miss that?"

Something I love about Capaldi's Doctor is that he's still as smart as he was before, but now he's frequently struggling to grasp/keep up with/articulate what he's already figured out on a subconscious level.

The whole thing with his hand on her chest and him just standing there with his hand out was played entirely for laughs. But you know that he immediately picked up that there was something off about this whole thing and he needed to concentrate on that, but other things kept getting in the way and he couldn't stop himself and concentrate long enough until the Master prodded him again.

This is a Doctor that seems to be so focused on the bigger picture that he keeps overlooking/missing the finer details.... but his brain DOES pick them up and is screaming at his conscious mind,"TWO HEARTS! TIME LORD TECHNOLOGY! TIME LORDS CAN CHANGE GENDER ON REGENERATION! MISSY ENJOYS TAUNTING AND KILLING PEOPLE! YOU KNOW WHAT THIS MEANS YOU IDIOT!"

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
It was way to deep for modern BBC drama and I think i'm going to complain. Currently watching repeats of Strictly come dancing until I can focus again.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
I'm really not sure what to make of that. I can be a bit of a sucker for that kind of emotional stuff (BELIEVE IT OR NOT) at the start and I liked how mad Clara went. The rest of it, though, was just a huge infodump for stuff that probably isn't even true, what the hell kind of episode is that. The Master is supposed to troll the Doctor, not the audience.

MisterBibs posted:

With the Master reveal, what comes to mind for me is something one of the guys at Red Vs Blue discussed about some plot point fans guessed: sometimes, your audience will predict things, no matter how random they are.

It was pretty much the first thing people guessed. The choice was a) obvious and stupid or b) not obvious. And stupid.

Glenn_Beckett posted:

being such a human being

:stare:

I was going to quote the other guy for being weird but no more!

Nevvy Z posted:

The founder's name is Dr. Skarosa.

Skaro SA, the Master is posting in this thread :tinfoil:

Unit: Dominion spoilers, it's Doctor What.

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'

MrL_JaKiri posted:

:stare:

I was going to quote the other guy for being weird but no more!
Heh heh hehhhhh

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I don't know, so far they've managed to execute this stupid plotline in a surprisingly not stupid way.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Jsor posted:

I don't know, so far they've managed to execute this stupid plotline in a surprisingly not stupid way.

By explaining it to you rather than actually showing it. This felt like a Wikipedia page rather than a story.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Yeah, I enjoyed the episode, but the latter half mostly being exposition on the Cyber cover story before pulling the already-telegraphed "but 3W's entire business we just spent 20 minutes on is all bullshit because it was the Cybermen all along!" felt like treading, ahem, water.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's still setting up the dilemma that Danny and Clara are likely going to have to face next episode.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Yeah, and I'm ok with the Danny dilemma if deliberately choosing to have your emotions removed makes these Cybermen immune to their historical emotional induction weakness.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

I'm pretty sure Moffat's going to do the RTD thing of having enough vague ideas and inferences that you can maybe sort of puzzle poo poo together five minutes after the credits roll. Which is maddening. It's the narrative equivalent of making you bite your tongue.

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

PriorMarcus posted:

By explaining it to you rather than actually showing it. This felt like a Wikipedia page rather than a story.

It's so cute that you have spent hours battering your tiny fists against the posts. Well, it's a hobby I suppose.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

I hope Missy doesn't get 'killed' off, as Michelle Gomez is pretty cool and fits the role.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Eiba posted:

The Master has always been really flamboyant in his own way. There's really no contradiction in terms of her character for her to act the way she has been acting as the Mistress. Honestly, this kind of "bad girl" "he really likes me and I'm so sassy" works a lot better for Missy, with all their history, than it did for a random character like River Song. This is a totally natural evolution of Simm's manic Master.

Coming off of watching a bunch of Delgado stuff relatively I'll say that its a total failure in copying his flamboyancy. Missy comes off as being very stiff and obnoxious while he came off as powerful and mysterious. I don't know if that was down to bad acting, bad directing or, most likely, bad writing but thats how it felt.

Hated the first five minutes of the episode, hated the plot of Danny suddenly dieing, Doctor going to the afterlife, etc. Especially hated the Master reveal. I actually liked the plot and writing of the whole 3W idea, people feeling things after death, etc. But think it could have been done just as well (or even better, actually) without the personal connection. I also feel like the character of Danny was specifically created so that they could kill him here, which is just basically whatever to me at this point.

I really wish there was a version of :asoiaf: with the television spraying poo poo everywhere because that is how I felt about that reveal.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Those first fifteen minutes were phenomenal. End of. No dissent acknowledged. (Well, you know, unless someone dissents.)

The rest of the episode was also pretty good for one of Moffat's all-too-common-these-days DUMP THE ENTIRE YEAR'S WORTH OF PLOT INTO THE FINALE episodes. Fabricating an entire afterlife and an entire new variant of Cybermen just to gently caress with the Doctor is exactly the sort of bonkers plan the Master would and should come up with, so that worked fine for me. As for the rest, well, we'll see, won't we?

I'm just glad no one was the loving Valeyard.

(Still holding out fleeting hope that Omega will show up somewhere, sometime, someday. Aside from in Big Finish, I mean.)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I thought this was awesome! I was surpised by the Masters reveal, but was reallllly hoping that when she said "Your hearts" she'd be like " I'm the loving Valeyard".

Still this was super great episode.

Super.Jesus
Oct 20, 2011
So basically, these cybermen are hosted on THE CLOUD instead of having their brainy bits in their heads. This is made possible by a clever integration of Gallifreyan tech. They've just become Cylons.

(I am ok with this)

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

Hollismason posted:

I thought this was awesome! I was surpised by the Masters reveal, but was reallllly hoping that when she said "Your hearts" she'd be like " I'm the loving Valeyard".

Still this was super great episode.

I wish if they were going to mention the sexuality of the master doctor relationship that they mentioned how insanely good looking the doctor was the last time they'd met. Would've been a nice throwaway joke

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Anyone hoping for a Multi-Master story with Simm and Gomez? I'd be down for that. (Also Beevers can show up if they want to include him. That'd rule. Roberts would never do it.)

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Screw Simm - MacQueen, Beevers, and Gomez being obnoxious as a team would make my lifetime worthwhile.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Honestly, this was the most fun I had watching an Important Series Arc Plot Episode since "The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon" (other than the 50th Anniversary Extravaganza), and I think it's due pretty much entirely to it being the first part of a two-parter. Moffat's spent Series 6 and 7 cramming epic finale-sized stories into single 45-minute episodes, and it hasn't been working. "A Good Man Goes to War" felt rushed; "Let's Kill Hitler" was a really poor and quite frankly embarrassing follow-up; "The Wedding of River Song" is slapdash, forgettable, and practically incoherent (as was The Name of the Doctor, although it wasn't as bad); This episode had a lot of room for the plot setup and exposition to breathe, and it's amazing how much that helps give a finale weight. Of course, how good this episode is really depends on what happens next week partly because so much of it is exposition, but that's a risk you run with two-parters sometimes.

Mainly, I'm just happy to have a two-part series finale because it means we get a proper Doctor Who cliffhanger. And I loved the Doctor running in the street warning people about the Cybermen and Missy going all "Another ranting Scotsman, I didn't even know there was a game going on today", because that just felt like such a Master thing for her to do.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
Just a thought, when Doctor Chang looked at the psychic paper, and the doctor said he was from the goverment and the paper was full of swear words, was that a sly reference to The Thick Of It?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Super.Jesus posted:

So basically, these cybermen are hosted on THE CLOUD instead of having their brainy bits in their heads. This is made possible by a clever integration of Gallifreyan tech. They've just become Cylons.

(I am ok with this)

Also they're now walking skeletons, which is cool.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

DoctorWhat posted:

Screw Simm - MacQueen, Beevers, and Gomez being obnoxious as a team would make my lifetime worthwhile.

Yeah, I'd love that, but it'll never happen. It's about as likely as Charley showing up. Both would rule, but I think the shout out to Eight's audio companions is as close as we're going to get.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

FiftySeven posted:

Just a thought, when Doctor Chang looked at the psychic paper, and the doctor said he was from the goverment and the paper was full of swear words, was that a sly reference to The Thick Of It?

"Sly"?

Half the reason I want a MacQueen!Master episode is to have a revival of that fantastic rivalry from The Thick of It!

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

Yeah fair point...

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I liked that episode, and I think I'd have liked it more if I didn't know the Cybermen were in it (since I thought the eye logo was a really neat idea).

Well Manicured Man posted:

Personally, I don't think anything else in Doctor Who has topped the Jacobi reveal yet.

The only things that I think topped it for me were there Night of the Doctor and the reveal of the Curator at the end of the Day of the Doctor.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Teek posted:

I don't mind the reveal, I'm just not really sure what Missy being the Master is bringing to the series at this point. Though her killing of Doctor Chang at least sat better in hindsight, had that been an evil Romana, it would have been unfortunate.

It makes me wonder though, is this a Regenerated Simm Master or has he taken someone else's body? I ask because there are still some Missy lines from earlier in the season which have yet to be explained, like her "I think I'll keep it" regarding 12's accent. If the Master took over a Time Lady body, it leads me to wonder if "Missy" might have been someone noteworthy before the Master took over and now he wants to take over the Doctor's body yet again. Of course if this is the Simm Master regenerated, then it's just a strange line.

I would imagine it's just Simm regenerated, as the implication is they gave the Master a new set of lives and he cut and ran during the Time War; Jacobi would have been the first or second of a new cycle, Simm the 3rd. The biggest question is how did he get out of the Time Lock and does he know where Gallifrey is?

Jerusalem posted:

Jacobi reveal was superior, but that's no knock against this one because I mean goddamn, it was Derek Jacobi!

I think this reveal came in a superior episode though. I always thought Utopia was a pretty uninspired episode outside of a little of the interaction between the Doctor and Jack, but it's easy to forget how bland most of the episode is because it serves mostly as a delivery mechanism for Jacobi's performance and the amazing reveal/cliffhanger.

The Jacobi reveal was the best for me because it hit me like a ton of bricks. I'd been reading the spoiler thread and I knew:
1) Jacobi might be a Time Lord
2) The Master was coming back

It was implied the Master might kill Jacobi, and when we saw the kindly old Professor I was lulled into a false sense of complacency. Then...Y A N A :aaaaa:

DoctorWhat posted:

Well, the out-of-loving-nowhere one-two punch of John Hurt's first appearance, and the subsequent release of Night of the Doctor, are the only things that can even begin to compare.

Yeah, McGann topped Jacobi easily.

PriorMarcus posted:

Well yeah, as soon as the Master regenerates into a woman he starts calling the Doctor his boyfriend, having a massive crush on him and snogging him passionately. It's the perils of being a woman in Moffat's eyes.

:rolleyes:
Did you...ya know...miss the hypersexualized subtext between Simm and 10?

"Doctor, are you asking me...out on a date?"

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Yeah, I'd love that, but it'll never happen. It's about as likely as Charley showing up. Both would rule, but I think the shout out to Eight's audio companions is as close as we're going to get.

Why the gently caress are you guys throwing around so many bad Masters and leaving out Derek Jacobi?

You guys are the worst.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

MacQueen is not a "bad Master" and if you believe otherwise then you can :frogout: tbh.

The MacQueen reveal was, for me, what the Jacobi reveal was for so many of you.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Here's a speculation quote from the spoiler on thread august 25th, from yours truly.

Zaggitz posted:

Missy = Mistress = Female Master = Moffat getting people to shut up about female regeneration.

Lmao at anyone who thought it was gonna be anything other than that.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
^^Do you want a prize?

That was pretty awesome. Super excited for next week.

Illuen
Feb 18, 2011

All comedy is derived from fear.

Even knowing the Cybermen were going to be involved, this was a loving fantastic reveal and I loved it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DoctorWhat posted:

MacQueen is not a "bad Master" and if you believe otherwise then you can :frogout: tbh.

The MacQueen reveal was, for me, what the Jacobi reveal was for so many of you.

I know nothing of him, but I do know you utterly forgot Derek Jacobi, the best Master in recent decades.

Also, here is the big problem with your original thinking, as far as our quasi discussion of the Master Mistress thing that I hope isn't a thing.

I'm saying this as a writer so I may be up my own rear end on this, but where the Doctor has some core character elements that persist across all incarnations of the character, no matter how he may differ, so does the Master.

One of those is his rampant, full blown misogyny. He's straight up called that when he was still Roger Delgado and that never changed. The Master always viewed women as a lesser sex, be he Delgado, Corpse, Ainley, or Simms. Just take a long look at how he treated Lucy in that regard.

If this is the Master, and I have only the slightest of doubt that it is, then she shouldn't be embracing her new-found gender, instead she should be reviled by it. Throwing the odd put down of the failing of her own form, have some self loathing and amplify her inherent flaws when it comes to her opinions of the female sex.

A female Master wouldn't be A-OK with it and embrace it and take every chance to snog the Doctor- she'd be perpetually pissed at all times and generally disgusted with herself. She'd insist to STILL be a Time LORD, and more importantly, STILL THE MASTER.

The Master is who she IS, just as much as the Doctor is who he is.

It'd be like if the Doctor became a woman and started calling herself The Nurse or some other specifically feminized version of Doctor that I'm not thinking of right now.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
A nurse isn't a female doctor.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Illuen posted:

Even knowing the Cybermen were going to be involved, this was a loving fantastic reveal and I loved it.
It was.

I'd picked the eye logo being a thing well before that, but it was a really good way of showing it outright.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

2house2fly posted:

A nurse isn't a female doctor.

I said I wasn't able to think of a good replacement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I just watched it and I haven't gone through the thread yet so I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but after the last "production error" turning into a plot point (Matt Smith's coat) I noticed that Clara had a sleeping patch on her left hand in the volcano scene when she placed her right hand on The Doctor's neck. I'm too lazy to screenshot it, but it's there.

Slimy Hog fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Nov 2, 2014

• Locked thread