Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Feenix posted:

It did have terrible performance though. Honestly if Far Cry 4 ends up being "Far Cry 3, new location edition" and runs at a stable 30 without tearing or any other "terrible performance" calling cards, I will rub my dick on it and smile in an oh-so-creepy way.

Did you play on console or something? It ran awesome on PC for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
It ran pretty bad on PC at first. But that was when I had a 6870. 660ti makes it run like butter. Hoping it looks good enough on PS4 not to really tempt me to get it on PC. Sure I can make it look better but not run as smooth. PC games running at 30fps feels stupid weird and is actually hard to do.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I played it on the PS3 and then the PC after, and while it was better on the PC, I thought it was totally decent on the PS3 as well. Much better than many of its contemporary FPSs.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Nov 2, 2014

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I couldn't get into FC3 on the 360 because of the awful graphics and performance. It just wasn't a very pleasant experience. FC4 should be much better at a good resolution a hopefully consistent frame rate. It's going to be 30, right?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I thought FC3 looked great on 360. Obviously nothing compared to a good pc, but I dunno I thought it looked pretty drat good.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

NESguerilla posted:

That is a pretty good sales pitch for Mordor. I've still been trying to figure out why I liked it when I don't like AC and that's probably it.

The makers weren't beholden to a particular formula, so they looked at their game and said "How can we make this fun? What's a game I want to play?" and went through everything with that lens. It's fun to stylishly kill a bunch of bad guys. It's fun to feel like a super-badass. It's fun to take revenge on NPC 1,271 that happened to kill you, and it's even better if that random rear end in a top hat actually has a name and remembers that time he killed you.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Oh, it looks like they finally fixed the frame rate problem on PS4 Warframe. They didn't fix the bad game problem though.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
What is this WW2 poo poo in Unity? I don't need to be interested in this game.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Is the current birthday mail from Sony/PSN really just a code for a birthday cake to use in PS Home? :v:
And what could they reliably switch it out for after PS Home bites it in May. Hard to allocate $5 per PSN user birthday for a rebate

acksplode
May 17, 2004

al-azad posted:

Great, now I want an underground wrestling game with the Nemesis system.

"New Guy! Your interference in my last match cost me the championship. Now it's just you and I, no holds barred!"

I don't even like wrestling but someone needs to make this happen.

I haven't touched a wrestling game since 2001 but holy poo poo I would play this. You wouldn't even need a WWE license, you could just go Fire Pro on the wrestlers and create all sorts of fake randomly generated nemesis wrestling personas. God drat that would be fun.

mrEkli
Feb 9, 2004
I was there.

MrLonghair posted:

Is the current birthday mail from Sony/PSN really just a code for a birthday cake to use in PS Home? :v:
And what could they reliably switch it out for after PS Home bites it in May. Hard to allocate $5 per PSN user birthday for a rebate

I didn't... get a birthday email. :(

navier-stoked
Aug 30, 2004
So it's November, where are the new PS+ games?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ReadingZucchini posted:

So it's November, where are the new PS+ games?

They always get posted on the next convenient Tuesday.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

http://www.gamersyde.com/thqstream_assassin_creed_unity_gameplay-WbwjiWqH4ArGSLvc_en.html

New gameplay video from AC Unity (not the one climbing Notre Dame). The graphics look better than the muddy screenshots and the size of the crowd is impressive, but there is some pretty obvious pop-in.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

shmee posted:

As of 2.0, it seems that yes it is. The best bit is how after it crashes and boots back up, it berates you for not turning it off properly.

It's like that damned mole from Animal Crossing all over again. Rizzo I think his name was?

Hated him like I hate this issue

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Smelly posted:

It's like that damned mole from Animal Crossing all over again. Rizzo I think his name was?

Hated him like I hate this issue

Resetti. And I'd forgotten about him but yes, exactly like that.

Just seeing a picture has made me slightly angry. I hate that mole.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

the truth posted:

http://www.gamersyde.com/thqstream_assassin_creed_unity_gameplay-WbwjiWqH4ArGSLvc_en.html

New gameplay video from AC Unity (not the one climbing Notre Dame). The graphics look better than the muddy screenshots and the size of the crowd is impressive, but there is some pretty obvious pop-in.

The pop-in's a little unfortunate, but jeezus gently caress, the movement looks awesome and the sheer size of that crowd is decidedly next-gen. I'm bummed this (nor Rogue) will have multiplayer, but I've always liked the single-player in the AC series (yep, even the out-of-Animus stuff), so I'm fully on board now.

One of the best things about the series has always been how well it embraced the various time periods and scattered enough flavor text/historical tidbits that I felt like I was at least learning (or in some cases remembering) stuff about that time period. The Renaissance was such an amazing setting (especially before they shifted to just having it as a backdrop instead of the focus of all the technology and characters), and I really liked reading about all the historical sites and secret meetings happening during the American Revolution. If I can glean even a bit of that about the French Revolution (which I know almost nothing about), it's going to make sprinting through a bunch of Parisian interiors filled with dumbfounded inhabitants that much better.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

the truth posted:

I am simultaneously impressed by the crowd size and sickened by how close they all flicker their low-asset LOD model.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Feenix posted:

I am simultaneously impressed by the crowd size and sickened by how close they all flicker their low-asset LOD model.

I'd be a bit upset about the model flicker, but holy poo poo that is a lot of people. I'll let it slide because I didn't think having that many on screen would have been possible.

Wow.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
SamBishop you mentioned that coming out of rest mode without a disc seemed to fix the boot up problems, and it did for me. I haven't done extensive testing or anything, but it's the first time the system booted up from rest mode without issues since 2.0 dropped.

It'll be interesting to see if it works the same way with a bluray in the drive.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Ok I'm usually cynical about games but how the gently caress are people down on that one? That looks insane. I've never seen so many people in one scene before. You fussy bunch of cunts. Go outside.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
Let's Play Assassin's Creed Unity by David Attenborough: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xO9ehNWDZ8

(To add to graphics-chat: the details in the building above are pretty nice; all the ornate gold and red really pops and looks very defined compared to the interiors of AC1-4.)

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

How can you see it? I just get this error:

quote:

This video is for a game under an embargo and won't be visible until 2014-11-13 00:00:00 CEST

Secondary link maybe? Edit: Not the youtube video from the post above, the earlier video.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

timeandtide posted:

Let's Play Assassin's Creed Unity by David Attenborough: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xO9ehNWDZ8

(To add to graphics-chat: the details in the building above are pretty nice; all the ornate gold and red really pops and looks very defined compared to the interiors of AC1-4.)

I haven't been paying attention to Unity. I had no clue there was coop and that looks pretty damned fun. I think I might just have to get this now.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
GAH I'M GONNA THROW THA STUN GRENADE!!! AAHHHH!!!

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

EC posted:

SamBishop you mentioned that coming out of rest mode without a disc seemed to fix the boot up problems, and it did for me. I haven't done extensive testing or anything, but it's the first time the system booted up from rest mode without issues since 2.0 dropped.

It'll be interesting to see if it works the same way with a bluray in the drive.

Thanks for confirming. I did a bit more testing and that seems to be what's hanging things up. Instead of fully shutting down, I can hear the disc spin up after everything else should be stopped. The orange light just never stops pulsing otherwise. I'll have to get into the habit of hitting Options>Remove Disc before going into standby.

Hopefully it works for everyone else -- at least until 2.01 properly un-fucks things. Not being able to use some important features like Remote Play or pushing downloads to the system would suck. Almost as much as, y'know, not actually being able to put a system to sleep. I'm floored nobody in QA had a disc in their PS4s, but at least it's a fairly easy work-around.

[edit] As an added bonus, when you boot the system back up, it grabs the disc again, so it's all hands-off. I know that's a small consolation, but the inconvenience now is down to remembering to hit an extra button and select a menu option before shutting down. It never should have come to that in the first place, but hopefully it's a fix that works for everyone.

SamBishop fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Nov 2, 2014

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Smelly posted:

I'd be a bit upset about the model flicker, but holy poo poo that is a lot of people. I'll let it slide because I didn't think having that many on screen would have been possible.

Wow.

I'm impressed, technically-speaking. But it's just so distracting it ruins the goodwill.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Ok I'm usually cynical about games but how the gently caress are people down on that one? That looks insane. I've never seen so many people in one scene before. You fussy bunch of cunts. Go outside.

Every single actual gameplay video of Unity looks phenomenal. At this point I barely pay attention to other people's opinions because I simply don't understand them. As long as I'm enjoying the games I like then whatever.

Also hating on Resetti, what the sweet smoldering burning gently caress.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

timeandtide posted:

The combat looks exactly the same despite them claiming they revamped it. They really need to do a totally retool and make it more like Arkham, or at least something interesting.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

shmee posted:

Resetti. And I'd forgotten about him but yes, exactly like that.

Just seeing a picture has made me slightly angry. I hate that mole.

Nintendo understood your frustration and fired him in Wild World. You have to actually pay to bring him back.

But it's worth seeing him at least once because he rags on the 3DS' crappy battery life if you select "my battery died."

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Megasabin posted:

The combat looks exactly the same despite them claiming they revamped it. They really need to do a totally retool and make it more like Arkham, or at least something interesting.

That's more or less my gripe. It certainly looks prettier. They're dressing it up better and making it look better but I'm not really seeing a lot that's different mechanically. Yeah, coop has a lot of potential to be superb but that video isn't really convincing me that the gameplay is any better.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Megasabin posted:

I was thinking the same thing. They just can't make good combat. The co-op looks reasonably fun though

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What does a power shield do in resogun survival mode? I wish it just gave you an extra hit but as far as I can tell it does nothing.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

al-azad posted:

Nintendo understood your frustration and fired him in Wild World. You have to actually pay to bring him back.

But it's worth seeing him at least once because he rags on the 3DS' crappy battery life if you select "my battery died."

Wasn't he fired in new leaf ?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

"Look at that death."
"Death... is all around us."

Dirt Taco Scuba posted:

Wasn't he fired in new leaf ?

Whoops, yes. New Leaf is the 3DS game.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

combat in ac should be like bouncing off guys one shotting them with wrist blades until you meet a templar and then having a cool sword fight where you need to block attacks and press for an opening to strike or something. the less like arkham it gets the better. i hate when every series looks identical.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

al-azad posted:

"Look at that death."
"Death... is all around us."

It wouldn't be an AC game without insanely bizarre bugs. And anyone who doesn't think there'll be some INSANE poo poo with those crowds is living under a rock. ;)

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
AC fighting really doesn't work indoors because even compared to other games, walls and stuff really screw with the animations.

They didn't yet have revolvers at the time of the French revolution, right? If so, the game can keep my favorite (or maybe the only thing I like) part of AC combat: guns as fight-ending weapons, which can pretty much only be reloaded outside of melee combat, but almost guaranteed to kill with the first shot.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Nov 2, 2014

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Mmm, British French people, or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

OK, Shadow of Mordor turned out pretty cool in the end. I take back what I said about it being repetitive. Sticking with the janky controls criticism though... I got stuck hanging from a building for a good 30 seconds while being pelted by spears and arrows and just barely survived to escape and brand my nearly-immortal fifth warchief many minutes later. Very stressful game.

Now I can play NBA until November 11th. yay

• Locked thread