Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Doctor Who is a tumblr thing now apparently. My childhood weeps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Hremsfeld posted:

Good thing everyone's still alive, then! :shepface:

Snarkiness aside, for all the pacing issues they introduced, the Alpha kids did give us Roxy, so they're a net improvement.
Dirk is an unrelenting killjoy but I still love him. This conversation with AR was some of the heaviest, best writing the story's seen.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Suaimhneas posted:

Doctor Who is a tumblr thing now apparently. My childhood weeps.

More than that wouldn't he want to post it when the least amount of people could read it to save the sever from crashing? Hussie doesn't have a set timeframe to get X amount of views or something

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
If BBC TV ever wanted to end the internet, all they'd have to do is announce that the 14th Doctor will be Benedict Cumberbatch, and the first episode of his run would be a Supernatural crossover.

Tumblr'd do the rest.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Dolash posted:

One of the major reasons to even have the alpha kids is to deliver on the guardian plotline from the start of the comic - each of the kids has a distant, unknowable guardian figure they don't really understand, and part of growing up is coming to terms with your parents/parent figures. They all get killed by Bec Noir before any of the kids really get to connect with them, so this new session is a chance for them to learn a little about who their guardians were.

If anything the alpha kids have a stronger thematic stake in the comic's coming-of-age story than the trolls, who were just another side-character distraction like the exiles meant to provide some background on the game that then slowly metastasized over the whole comic.

We'll have to agree to disagree. One of the big reasons I liked the guardian figures was that they were so mysterious. I was perfectly okay with only knowing them as cool parent figures who helped the kids out, and maybe having their stories explained later. But we didn't get that. We got a reversal of roles, so now it's the original kids who are doing things for myseterious reasons in the alpha session.

Let me rephrase: we still don't know why or how the guardians knew so much about what the kids (of either timeline) were doing. We still don't know what caused them to act the way they did, or how they gained such knowledge of the setting. That's the mystery that I wanted solved, not a character sketch. I expected and desired an explanation for the actions of the side characters, not an introduction of new main characters.

My source of enjoyment for the comic isn't the bildungsroman aspect of it, it's the ridiculous storyline and cool superpowers aspect of it. I guess we wanted different things out of the guardians.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

GeneX posted:

Let me rephrase: we still don't know why or how the guardians knew so much about what the kids (of either timeline) were doing. We still don't know what caused them to act the way they did, or how they gained such knowledge of the setting. That's the mystery that I wanted solved, not a character sketch. I expected and desired an explanation for the actions of the side characters, not an introduction of new main characters.

It's not too hard to figure out. Grandpa Harley found the frog ruins on the island, went through the transportalisers and had adventures in the Medium, then reverse-engineered the Sburb stuff and founded SkaiaNet. Mom Lalonde was a SkaiaNet employee so she knew about the Sburb stuff that way. The only mystery is how Bro was involved. Assuming he was involved, and wasn't just winging it after getting dumped into this weird other reality.

Rooreelooo
Sep 29, 2007

"Ask not what Spiral Mountain can do for you; ask what you can do for Spiral Mountain."
Once i found out that there would be child versions of the guardians, all i ever wanted to do was read a conversation between nannasprite and jane

Seems like a great opportunity for some introspection between both pre and post versions of the same characters, and since all the other human guardians are dead this was the final shot

Shame that jane's dead now. Maybe nannasprite will step in and replace her in the narrative???

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Suaimhneas posted:

It's not too hard to figure out. Grandpa Harley found the frog ruins on the island, went through the transportalisers and had adventures in the Medium, then reverse-engineered the Sburb stuff and founded SkaiaNet. Mom Lalonde was a SkaiaNet employee so she knew about the Sburb stuff that way. The only mystery is how Bro was involved. Assuming he was involved, and wasn't just winging it after getting dumped into this weird other reality.

Yeah, okay, I admittedly forgot all of this.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Rooreelooo posted:

Once i found out that there would be child versions of the guardians, all i ever wanted to do was read a conversation between nannasprite and jane

Seems like a great opportunity for some introspection between both pre and post versions of the same characters, and since all the other human guardians are dead this was the final shot

Shame that jane's dead now. Maybe nannasprite will step in and replace her in the narrative???

Being dead doesn't mean too much in Homestuck, so I fully expect it to still happen.

Also the Alpha Kids are cool and good and I like them but they suffered from a Dramatic Romantic Subplot, which took up a lot of time and characterisation. And since Roxy was the most removed from that she was the best.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Hell, being dead didn't stop Jane from becoming Nannasprite. :v:

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

GeneX posted:

The way I always saw it was it was due to the same reason they seemed so mysterious, and why they lacked facial features: they're adults. In a coming-of-age story where everything is presented through the words and actions of a bunch of 13 year olds, the guardians seem inscrutable and unfathomable, when in reality they're just behaving like adults. Admittedly they're all pretty weird adults but you get the point. This all makes a lot more sense if you take the Alpha guardians into account, with Jade, Dave, and Rose's adult selves all resisting Condy's takeover, and Dave and Rose preparing for the arrival of Dirk and Roxy 400 years later. They knew what was going on, even if they didn't specifically know about Sburb and the Medium.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Lizard Wizard posted:

Hell, being dead didn't stop Jane from becoming Nannasprite. :v:

Prototype Nanna WITH Jane.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
MSPA Barker is going nuts, but there's no update yet. I expect it will be rather soon, though!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Bell_ posted:

MSPA Barker is going nuts, but there's no update yet. I expect it will be rather soon, though!

The link just showed up for me, but when I clicked it I just got a blank page. :v:

E: The link is gone again :iiam:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I refreshed the log and saw a bunch of updates, but when I clicked on one it was blank.

Links are gone :tinfoil:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ok now the website is actively loving with me, I just had the link appear and disappear again several times.

:spooky:

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Nov 2, 2014

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
You aren't the only one.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

It means hussie is going to post the pages, but the server is revolting against the content.

I can only imagine this means that we're getting nothing but anime drawings.

EDIT: Yeah I just got it too.

Jen X fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Nov 2, 2014

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

My notifier honked but the update page is blank. :(

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Apache 2 Test Page! Oh man this is some serious nostalgia

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Regy Rusty posted:

Apache 2 Test Page! Oh man this is some serious nostalgia

This is the best update.

EDIT: "Server having some caching problems or something. I will look into it."

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
I was curious enough about the update that I ran wget on gifs that were numbered after the last available gif, but only got 404s

(I was guessing that maybe panels would be on the server even if the pages weren't there yet)

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Really wish my notifier would stop going off while I'm trying to write. Focusing on a graphic novel script is hard enough damnit!

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Burkion posted:

Really wish my notifier would stop going off while I'm trying to write. Focusing on a graphic novel script is hard enough damnit!

So close it or reduce the rate it checks for updates?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

King of Solomon posted:

So close it or reduce the rate it checks for updates?
I refuse both options.

Mostly because it's not really that big a deal. Just a minor annoyance to point out how freaked out the notifier is

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Okay I'll admit this got me when I saw BANANA glad you pledged.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I dont know what this is but its not funny

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WAR FOOT posted:

Okay I'll admit this got me when I saw BANANA glad you pledged.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

net cafe scandal posted:

I dont know what this is but its not funny

What's it like? Being dead inside, I mean.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39146312/upd8.html

here's a mirror of the update for anyone who wants to read it.

It might take a while for it to be available on the servers.

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx
Gamzee spotted being not-dead. :negative:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

EmperorFritoBandito posted:

Gamzee spotted being not-dead. :negative:

In Caliborn's time. We still don't know the details of how Gamzee go there; technically this could still be before his bisection on his personal timeline.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

I'll be honest, I absolutely cracked up at "Cal Coins".

H.R. Hufflepuff
Aug 5, 2005
The worst of all worlds
I love how passively he describes his role in his "past tragedies"

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Is that the stage he's drawing? The one wherever Calliope is?

Also I very much wish some kind goon with the gif-making skills of a beautiful art poet would make an avatar-sized version of the PURE ART SKILLS panel...

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!
So uhhhh look what Caliborn's building: http://www.mspaintadventures.com/ACT6ACT6.php?s=6&p=008838 versus this http://mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=008615

Guess he learns how to draw after all... or raises money to get someone else to do it for him.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

So uhhhh look what Caliborn's building: http://www.mspaintadventures.com/ACT6ACT6.php?s=6&p=008838 versus this http://mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=008615

Guess he learns how to draw after all... or raises money to get someone else to do it for him.

Oh poo poo

http://mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=008617

This is not good.

Specifically:
JADE: by the way
JADE: what is with this stage?
JADE: is it from one of your memories?
CALLIOPE: no.
CALLIOPE: i thoUght it was yoUr memory?
JADE: i dont think so
JADE: it would seem to be some sort of imaginary figment that turned into a real object
JADE: i wonder why it looks like a drawing?
CALLIOPE: shrUg.
JADE: hey why dont you come up here and help me get these curtains open
JADE: since its the only thing weve got in this boring vortex we might as well try to have a little fun!
CALLIOPE: yeah!!

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
poo poo what if Lord English really is Hussie and it turns out that Homestuck all this time has been Caliborn's fanfic and Hussie has been Caliborn's humansona all this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!

Regy Rusty posted:

Oh poo poo

http://mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=008617

This is not good.

Specifically:
JADE: by the way
JADE: what is with this stage?
JADE: is it from one of your memories?
CALLIOPE: no.
CALLIOPE: i thoUght it was yoUr memory?
JADE: i dont think so
JADE: it would seem to be some sort of imaginary figment that turned into a real object
JADE: i wonder why it looks like a drawing?
CALLIOPE: shrUg.
JADE: hey why dont you come up here and help me get these curtains open
JADE: since its the only thing weve got in this boring vortex we might as well try to have a little fun!
CALLIOPE: yeah!!

Ahhh, and Roxy's wizard fanfiction of Rose's novels was about getting stuck in someone else's story, which of course John already did back in Act 2 of Homosuck. Now we have a little person-sized stage that Caliborn appears to have built, so I guess he isn't going to remain content to play with his weird little dolls.