Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Skreemer posted:

Are you going to do them yourself or take them in? I've changed tires "by hand" before and can assist if needed (and I'm right down the street at the office).

I'm going to learn to do it by hand. Seems like a useful skill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
I hope your first home tire change experience was smoother than mine was. Is it too early to ask how it went and if anyone is going out tomorrow? I've had a ferociously lovely few days and I need some two wheel time in a bad way.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Alceste posted:

I hope your first home tire change experience was smoother than mine was. Is it too early to ask how it went and if anyone is going out tomorrow? I've had a ferociously lovely few days and I need some two wheel time in a bad way.

Everything done except seating the bead on the front tire, also my dyna bead balancing + 90 degree valve stem plan was a bad one so uh, I guess they won't be balanced immediately.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Tires swapped, I can't balance them but I don't anticipate that being any worse a problem than riding on the tires I had on there before. I'll work out a solution for that next week. I'd prefer to do the grab brunch/lunch and ride thing if we can. Maybe meet at The Pub around 12? If anyone else has other post it up otherwise I'll be there tomorrow at noon.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
What happened with the dyna beads? I used Airsoft pellets myself - - which are cheaper, and about as dense - - but I really have no idea if they work better or worse than traditional weights. All I know is that I haven't had any problems. I do wish I had thought of 90 degree valve stems though.

If you still need any help with anything, I know I'm a lot further away than Skreemer but I'd be happy to do or loan out whatever I can.

Anyway, the Pub at 12 works great for me, so I will be there too unless I hear of alternate plans.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Alceste posted:

What happened with the dyna beads? I used Airsoft pellets myself - - which are cheaper, and about as dense - - but I really have no idea if they work better or worse than traditional weights. All I know is that I haven't had any problems. I do wish I had thought of 90 degree valve stems though.

If you still need any help with anything, I know I'm a lot further away than Skreemer but I'd be happy to do or loan out whatever I can.

Anyway, the Pub at 12 works great for me, so I will be there too unless I hear of alternate plans.

The beads don't exactly fall into the right angle valve stem. I'm watching a guy on youtube shoot them in with compressed air so I guess I'll do that this week.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
Ah. I just dumped them directly into the tire before I seated the beads rather than trying to shoot through the valve stem.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
I just put the rear inner fender back on my bike (don't take it to the shop, they forget to put bolts back).

I'm up for a ride, what time and where?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Dyna beads are bullshit, don't bother.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Z3n posted:

Dyna beads are bullshit, don't bother.

Well, I already have them so I may as well shoot them in there now.

Skreemer posted:

I just put the rear inner fender back on my bike (don't take it to the shop, they forget to put bolts back).

I'm up for a ride, what time and where?

We're meeting at The Pub at noon and then go from there.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
I may be up to 10 min late to the pub but I'm definitely coming.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
I'm there and have a parking spot out front.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
I'm back!!

Anyone want to go riding this coming Saturday? Maybe go cruise around downtown and see where the action is?

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Skreemer posted:

I'm there and have a parking spot out front.

Good times riding around until the end there. That wind was brutal and that traffic. I guess that's one way to get a lot of practice going 2 miles an hour on my new to me bike.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
I loved the part where it cleared up on 75 and then we were stuck on the access road for another 5 miles or whatever.

Good ride though. Nice scenery, clear weather, good roads mostly. Just what I needed.

I'm tentative for next weekend--might have some family stuff on Saturday but that hasn't firmed up yet.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Onece i get the crazy low handlebars off my bike, and hopefully get it titled and registered, I look forward to embarassing myself in front of a bunch of local goons on a ride. :japan:

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Nitrogen:

The more the merrier...

Alceste:

That detour sucked terrible but at the same time I didn't want to be just sitting on the highway. At least the ride up to that point was good.

MKS:

At one part in the ride I thought a turkey vulture was going to grab you and your bike and take off. I couldn't believe how many were out there.

I'm go for a ride this coming weekend. Saturday works for me, I just get out of work at 10am...

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

Skreemer posted:

Nitrogen:

The more the merrier...

Alceste:

That detour sucked terrible but at the same time I didn't want to be just sitting on the highway. At least the ride up to that point was good.

MKS:

At one part in the ride I thought a turkey vulture was going to grab you and your bike and take off. I couldn't believe how many were out there.

I'm go for a ride this coming weekend. Saturday works for me, I just get out of work at 10am...

I'm up for a ride this Saturday! Vroom Vroom!

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
The thing with the birds was pretty funny. Maybe if MNS wasn't running that quiet factory exhaust he wouldn't have sneaked up so close. LPSYFB (loud pipes save you from birds)

Wife and I just finalized our Saturday plans last night. The good news is that I'll be brewing beer with a good friend and our kids will be hanging out together, but the bad news is there won't be any time for motorcycling. Y'all have a good ride.

Do you think we should start logging routes here in more detail--after riding them, so we can filter out anything that sucks--so we can refer back to them later? Just thinking of how much time we spent trying to figure that out on Sunday.

Seconding "the more the merrier" for new guys. I have been really impressed by everyone I've ridden with from this thread. It's a friendly, responsible, very non-goony group and if I have managed not to embarrass myself--uh, right?--then I think it would be extremely difficult for anyone else to.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
I'm still open to riding this Saturday, or Sunday, or both. No rain and mid-60's Saturday, no rain and low-70's on Sunday.

Let me know.

Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

Moto Liberty in Dallas are having a big sale event on Saturday. 10:00-23:00 with free food and a live band apparently.

I still can't ride due to post surgery stuff and probably won't be able to for another two months or so. I'll come out again eventually, guys! :smith:

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Heal up and don't push things.

"On Any Sunday: The Next Chapter" was released yesterday and is in theaters around the area.

OK all I'm out and at "I heart Kolache" on midway, I'll hang out there for a bit and if no one calls or meets up, I'll take off.
my username at gmail dot com to get a message to me.

Skreemer fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Nov 8, 2014

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Anyone other than me still riding? Today's a bit wet but not too bad.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I want to, but my 'stitch suit is a little chilly for this weather. Aerostitch's electric liner is out of stock too :/

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
And it snowed yesterday. Then made up for it by being in the mid-50's today. I have a self imposed banishment to the truck for a few days (if I don't drive the truck for a day or two every month it gets a bit cranky.)

Anyone look at the weather? It's supposed to in the 70's on Sunday.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

My craigslist special is getting a new gas tank. (the old one leaked due to being RUSTED THROUGH.)

If the new one gets in and i can get it finished, i'd be in as long as its warmer than 40 degrees.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
We've got family visiting for Thanksgiving next week and a bunch of prep work to do, but if I get all my chores done and momma's in a good mood I might be free for a few hours on Sunday. It would be great to get out again before the next cold snap.

So, gas tank rusted through? That sounds like something I'd hear back where I grew up but not here in Texas. What kind of bike is that?

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

2001 GS500 that I got pretty cheap. Even with the replacement of the gastank, fuel line work, and painting (I even splurged to have the tank painted) I am STILL below the original max of 2500 budget I set for myself for my first motorcycle.

DFW Superbikes up in Wylie is taking good care of me. Came highly recommended by 2 longtime riding coworkers.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
Very cool. Squeezing the most out of a very tight budget has underscored my entire motorcycle experience. I scored my 99% bone-stock SV650 for $1200 and put less than $1000 more into making it nearly good as new again. Of course there have been some other enhancements since then but I'd be pretty surprised if it's got more than $3K in it. I'll never get that back out of it--in dollars--but it's hard to imagine wanting to sell it either.

Have not had experience with DFW Superbikes but will keep that in mind. I wouldn't be surprised if they were closer to me than the other shops.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
I got a ticket to ride that new Harley electric on Saturday the 6th! I'm not a Harley guy, but man oh man, I'm excited to ride an electric bike.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

PadreScout posted:

I got a ticket to ride that new Harley electric on Saturday the 6th! I'm not a Harley guy, but man oh man, I'm excited to ride an electric bike.

drat I still haven't gotten an email from them.

Anyone other than PadreScout get chosen?

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Yep! I'm booked for 11:30 on the 6th

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
poo poo. I got no email either so I guess I didn't make it.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
I just got the email today! Now I have to figure out when I can drive/ride way the hell out to Bedford for the test ride, but there's a 3-day window.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
I got my email today. I might have to step out of work early to get there.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
I got the 2:50 slot on Saturday if anyone's going to be around...hope the weather is dry

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
I have 11:55 Saturday, I'll probably see you all there. (I gotta get out of work a bit early to see if I can make it in time)

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

WTF Harley. I'm the one who told you all to sign up and they didn't give me a demo. :argh:

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Interesting ride, throttle was a lot smoother than some of the others I've ridden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Have a bike license and want to try the e Harley? They are begging folks to ride. For now anyway.

lovely cell phone pics ahoy:

Santa

Kuffs

Me

Yes I rode the new e-Harley on the road as well. I was dumbfounded by how good it was. Quality looking compnents, rebound/dampening adjustable usd shocks, remote reservoir fully adjustable rear shock, decent ergonomics, the electronics package was pretty sweet.

The ride was drat smooth and with a few seconds to get used to the twist and go throttle was also very responsive. The low end torque hold was good and slow speed maneuvering was pretty effortless. The regenerative braking when you let off the throttle on the bike I rode was pretty gritty, took me by surprise how much it slowed you down.

I rode a Brammo and Zero e-cycle before (though 3 years ago) and the electronics packages on them sucked. You could count to three between the throttle movement and when the motor would respond. This was smooth and direct power as you moved the throttle. You had to really twist it around to get it to go in powersave mode but the power delivery was smooth, linear and constant.

About the best I can say about it is that it feels like and electronics package you'd expect from a Japanese company, styling from an Italian one (if you squint it looks like the diavel), and weight from Harley (weighs in at 480 pounds.)

Skreemer fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Dec 6, 2014

• Locked thread