Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Is the website hosed up for anyone else? I can't pull up the tournament page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Yup, in other news the site's dead and nobody can redeem their lottery bags. :(

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The Gate posted:

It's not really worse than before, just bad in a different way. Much like almost everything about the game, currently.

However, shedding IGP seems to have been the Immodium AD* that the game needed, so maybe the poo poo will clear up soon?

*I am bad at metaphors :(

it really is worse, but all the really terrible things look incredibly easy to fix. off the top of my head:

- cut out 75% of confirmation dialogs
- jump from the smurfy paper doll to the right part of your mech by clicking
- filters for 'only show if usable on this mech' and 'only show owned items' on all mechlab screens
- have a button in the gridview of robots for 'strip modules' and a global 'strip all modules' button.

that would do it.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Nov 1, 2014

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

I am not defending UI2.0 at all, but I'm finding that if you just set up a mech how you want it once and then never change it again, you can avoid a lot of the annoying bullshit.

Does mean you need an engine for every mech and you probably won't want to deal with modules though.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Also, going back after viewing mech details while on the 'Purchasable' tab should not default you back to the 'Owned' tab.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

WarLocke posted:

I am not defending UI2.0 at all, but I'm finding that if you just set up a mech how you want it once and then never change it again, you can avoid a lot of the annoying bullshit.

Does mean you need an engine for every mech and you probably won't want to deal with modules though.

Yes, you avoid most of its bad elements by never ever using it; this is true.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

PoptartsNinja posted:

You could sell things in the old UI without hunting down a shop.

You could sell ammunition with the old UI. You can't with the new.

It is worse than before, in minor but frustrating ways. And terrible in new and exciting ways that make me not want to touch the game until they hire someone (like maybe a 5 year old child) who knows how to make a UI that's actually functional.

It feels like they got a web designer who didn't play the game to do it - it looks like it should look, but the info you want is hard to find (though the detailed smurfy view is actually really good) and it constantly gets in your way for doing almost anything.

From my pov the UI should be a fun place for dicking round and coming up with dumb builds which (and this is important, pgi) I CAN THEN SPEND MONEY ON.

I highlighted the bit that was important for pgi.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

WarLocke posted:

Is the website hosed up for anyone else? I can't pull up the tournament page.

Yeah, there was a problem. It's back now. No match results were lost.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
This is a great event btw #19.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

sebmojo posted:

it really is worse, but all the really terrible things look incredibly easy to fix. off the top of my head:

- cut out 75% of confirmation dialogs
- jump from the smurfy paper doll to the right part of your mech by clicking
- filters for 'only show if usable on this mech' and 'only show owned items' on all mechlab screens
- have a button in the gridview of robots for 'strip modules' and a global 'strip all modules' button.

that would do it.

You've missed the biggest thing; every single click or keypress takes 1-2 seconds to register that anything actually happened, and then when something does happen it's a little spinning wheel that is sending a message to PGI to make sure it's okay that I clicked okay that I wanted to add a weapon to a mech. I have an 80ish ping and a pretty quick computer, there is no reason it should be taking multiple seconds for anything to happen after literally every single click. Changing which mech is selected? A couple seconds. Take a module off? A few seconds. Saving the mech now that modules are gone? 10-20 seconds.

It takes minutes to do tasks that should take seconds. This UI is so bad that after games that make me want to rage quit (artillery headshot, gausswhale kills kitfox in one shot, etc) I take a deep breath, go back to the mech lab to play another game, and then inevitably the UI being so lovely and slow is what makes me go gently caress it and alt-f4 (I alt f4 because there is no good way to quit the game that doesn't take another 30 seconds).

I mean what the gently caress is with PGI and making tiny actions that shouldn't be server authoritative require permission from their servers? The fact that zooming in is laggy because it requires the server's permission for you to do it epitomizes this perfectly.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/176692-ice-ferret-screenshots/

Mother fucker I'm hyped for this thing. I love how goddamn thin it is.

Are you ready to chase lights at 142.5 km/h with 3 x Streak SRM-6 and 1 ER Medium?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Dramicus posted:

http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/176692-ice-ferret-screenshots/

Mother fucker I'm hyped for this thing. I love how goddamn thin it is.

Are you ready to chase lights at 142.5 km/h with 3 x Streak SRM-6 and 1 ER Medium?

Are you ready to lose side torsos in one hit because you're very large for your weight?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

aniviron posted:

Are you ready to lose side torsos in one hit because you're very large for your weight?

You must be talking about medium mechs in general, because the Fenris is shorter than a Centurion and has one of the thinnest torso's of all the medium mechs. It's also as fast as a light.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

The Gate posted:

However, shedding IGP seems to have been the Immodium AD* that the game needed, so maybe the poo poo will clear up soon?

This is a veedub/pubbie level belief; the hilarious failure of Trannyverse is far more likely to have been the kick in the nuts required to make PGI have to appease MWO players.

IGP's crime, as reported by Russ, was to insist that PGI deliver on what they promised in the time frame they promised it.

Those monsters. :colbert:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I played a few games with goons last night and I had fun. I still can't stand UI 2.0, and ghost heat can continue to gently caress off, but the actual game is in a much better state than last time I tried it. The Halloween event is nicely done as well.

I agree with Webdo that the recent turnaround in both listening and doing fun things probably owes more to the steaming dump that the world took on Transverse than it was due to the IGP split. It's getting better anyway though.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Fil5000 posted:

I played a few games

:eyepop:

More eurogoons getting back in this?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

sebmojo posted:

it looks like it should look

I disagree. Emphatically.

It looks like poo poo. UI 2.0 is slow, clunky, and cluttered. Every element is far too busy and the only thing that works well is the shop view.

But they made every view the shop view (why even bother having a shop? Oh yeah, because it's the only place you can sell things you already own. Nevermind that a number with +/- next to it would be simple and immediately tell you how many Streak SRM-2s you own). PGI is so in love with their shop view that they shoved it in places even when it probably shouldn't be (we get it PGI, you like money) which all contributes to how difficult it is to find the item or information you're looking for.

Seriously, it's not that difficult to break down what's needed and where you need to put it. You just need to spend 5-10 minutes thinking about what you're doing before you sit down and program, so you're not cramming things in as you think of them. "Oh, and we need this! Where can I put it? Eh, somewhere in the Mechbay's good enough."

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
Already made 95 MC (20, 40, 35) by just casually playing a few rounds, that's enough for a 'free' one-time paintjob for my next mech. :unsmith:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Ice Ferret in-game screenshots (Warning: Brown Sea link)

I think the concept art looked better. :smith:

But it has 135-degree torso twist and can go ~140kph with double cSSRM6 and a cERML. :black101:

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

WarLocke posted:

Ice Ferret in-game screenshots (Warning: Brown Sea link)

I think the concept art looked better. :smith:

But it has 135-degree torso twist and can go ~140kph with double cSSRM6 and a cERML. :black101:

You should roll a new account to buy clan wave 2 on so you can multibox a lance by yourself.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

I don't know, it looks just as ugly as the concept art. That said, it doesn't look worse than the official FASA material either, just a different kind of goofy/ugly... it's just never was a nice looking mech.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

WebDO posted:

This is a veedub/pubbie level belief; the hilarious failure of Trannyverse is far more likely to have been the kick in the nuts required to make PGI have to appease MWO players.

IGP's crime, as reported by Russ, was to insist that PGI deliver on what they promised in the time frame they promised it.

Those monsters. :colbert:

Well, for one, that's not the only thing they've pointed the finger at IGP for, and two, the turnaround started well before Transverse became a huge failure, and even before we knew Transverse was a thing. I mean, they genuinely seemed to expect it to do well, so I doubt they started to play nice with MWO in the off chance Transverse failed. I'm not trying to claim IGP is/was the sole source of the issues MWO has had, because Paul, Russ, Niko, etc are all also to blame. I think Transverse has accelerated the process for sure though, since they now have only MWO as a source of income and have been made extremely aware that their community was generally not happy with their efforts so far.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Best game last night for me was us doing an oldschool tunnel rush to basecap on frozen city night. Did we get points? No. Did we get bags? No. Did I sit in their base typing all about your base about your base into chat as the timer ticked down. Hell yes.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
It was pretty hilarious too since they just straight didn't expect it. I felt my dramatic death while distracting them all from returning to defend was totally worth it, too.

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
i emailed them when i got banned (72 hours ago) and was told it was for 48 hours. except i'm still banned. guess i could send them another email, cause this is backwards land and it's my responsibility to manage their support system

here's what i was banned for:

014-10-29 20:59:15
ALL-Hitler
TEAM-anime narced
ALL-i vote libertarian

2014-10-29 21:59:40
SYS-disconnected
TEAM-NOOB TEAM
ALL-NOOB TEAM
ALL-wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

2014-10-29 19:19:37
ALL-Noobs
ALL-Smelly Dick

2014-10-29 04:01:46
ALL-i'd rather be a gay virgin with a small dick

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Banano you should threaten to litigate over their impinging on your right to worship freely. Sue them for ownership then fire Paul and hire Gwaihir to balance the game.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

PoptartsNinja posted:

I disagree. Emphatically.

It looks like poo poo. UI 2.0 is slow, clunky, and cluttered. Every element is far too busy and the only thing that works well is the shop view.

But they made every view the shop view (why even bother having a shop? Oh yeah, because it's the only place you can sell things you already own. Nevermind that a number with +/- next to it would be simple and immediately tell you how many Streak SRM-2s you own). PGI is so in love with their shop view that they shoved it in places even when it probably shouldn't be (we get it PGI, you like money) which all contributes to how difficult it is to find the item or information you're looking for.

Seriously, it's not that difficult to break down what's needed and where you need to put it. You just need to spend 5-10 minutes thinking about what you're doing before you sit down and program, so you're not cramming things in as you think of them. "Oh, and we need this! Where can I put it? Eh, somewhere in the Mechbay's good enough."

I agree; I just meant I like all the steam and pipes and the big robit picture. Everything about how it presents info is terrrrible. It is a cargo cult UI.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
I paid $$ for a Mad Cat, but then again I pay $$ for someone's recording of drum sounds. I paid $$ for George LeDoux to talk about mechwarriors for twenty seconds.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Two Beans we are rushing the top.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

rage-saq posted:

Two Beans we are rushing the top.

The top?

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

The tip.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Yes, the top. Rushing. All of us. To the top.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Stroke em if ya got em

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

rage-saq posted:

Yes, the top. Rushing. All of us. To the top.

Rushing, right? Us?

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Two Beans posted:

Rushing, right? Us?

Yes, also the top. So top right I guess?

Trip report: goon loving is the best, especially a 12-0 wipe

e2: in particular when you kill two goons during the game.

e3: fyi Phorashi I've gotten the halloween lights, twice.

Baudin fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Nov 2, 2014

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Baudin posted:

e3: fyi Phorashi I've gotten the halloween lights, twice.

I too, have gotten the halloween lights twice.

I believe Phorashi has gotten the halloween lights zero times.

Stunlock
Jun 12, 2013

Dramicus posted:

I too, have gotten the halloween lights twice.
I've only gotten them once. Are they bugged?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Stunlock posted:

I've only gotten them once. Are they bugged?

Well, Phorashi has zero lights, so I guess it might be bugged for some people.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

I didn't get any lights, but I just grabbed a free Mech Bay. (and 125 MC total atm)

Feindfeuer fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Nov 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
I'm five MC short of a mechbay (and of course I haven't got a free one, couple of flamers and a single heatsink though!) and now I'm getting disconnected every single game. Joy.

• Locked thread