Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Super.Jesus posted:

Son, Gallifrey had a Matrix 20 years before the movie of the same name existed.

And so did the Transformers, starting in 1986.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JessKay
Oct 16, 2011

Super.Jesus posted:

Son, Gallifrey had a Matrix 20 years before the movie of the same name existed.

I think that's the point of what you quoted - it's convenient that they get to use an actual established Who concept by name, but still have that reference remain accessible to an audience who mostly aren't familiar with classic Who.

E (O/T): Okay, this avatar/brct (well, lrct) is finally irking me. Suggestions for a good change when I have the money to throw at that? I more or less only post here when I post at all, so something show-related seems appropriate.

JessKay fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Nov 2, 2014

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

RodShaft posted:

To be fair, objectively, Danny killed a lot of people.

Then I wonder where the Doctor will end up.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

I can't find any pictures of it, but I know that red phone booth has shown up multiple times this season. That's the Mistress's TARDIS, isn't it?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Cliff Racer posted:

Then I wonder where the Doctor will end up.

The Doctor in Deep Breath posted:

And unlike you, I do not expect to reach the Promised Land.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
I liked the story. I watched it and got absorbed in wanting to know what happened next.
I still have some qualms overall about Moffat, and I am looking forward to the show getting a new showrunner, but for now, I liked it.

I especially liked that this episode made things work that seemed like they shouldn't work. [spoiler]"Oh just kidding, that was all a dream" is something that shouldn't work after eighth grade English class, and yet it works in the volcano scene. And the entire skeleton in water thing was also familiar from The Wedding of River Song: of course skeletons suspended in water are going to do something spooky. And yet I felt real suspense at all of these happenings.

I also am wondering if there is going to be another curve thrown in Part 2: whether there is a story behind the story.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Mo0 posted:

I can't find any pictures of it, but I know that red phone booth has shown up multiple times this season. That's the Mistress's TARDIS, isn't it?
No, red phone booths are extremely common in Britain.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Random Stranger posted:

Oh hey, one more thing about this episode. Will Moffat ever stop remaking Troughton stories?

I hope not! Though he may have been hobbled slightly by losing Matt Smith from the series, what with him being a Frankenstein's creature inhabited by the spirit of Patrick Troughton and all.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
This episode makes the "Doctor Idiot" line from last week so much better. 12 really is a big ol' idiot.

2house2fly posted:

Which is why it would be hilarious if it were the Master's attempt at "you still use the phone box, you are an idiot"

grymwulf
Nov 29, 2013

What? Was it something I said?

docbeard posted:

"Put the wimmins in their place" is like priority #23 by comparison.

But really was it put the wimmins in their place - or put the non-Time Lords in their places? It could be explained in one context that he displayed such misogyny because it taking such pig-headed human behaviourisms up to 11. In many of the times we've seen him he's shown such contempt to anyone that wasn't a Time Lord, so if humans seem to act as if their women are inferior, how much more inferior must they be to someone who considers humans to be no more than a pet, or a insignificant pawn on a greater chess board?

Although they did miss one thing, they should have used the Master's shrink ray on Doctor Chang - a true call back to some of 4s encounters with The Master.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

2house2fly posted:

Actually no they are not, they got rid of most of them ages ago.
Although they are TV short hand for "we are in the UK".

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Mo0 posted:

You can get a good view of that area on Google Maps and there isn't a red phone box there :tinfoil:

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

DoctorWhat posted:

dril was right

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The red phone booths are probably just a London thing now, like big red buses.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Its a vain hope but part of me wishes that they would see sense and go back to using the Cyberman voice style of The Moonbase/The Tomb of the Cybermen.

Although if they were to modernise it a bit, do it in the fashion of the Central Committee/Cyberplanner from Spare Parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9rIrae6N84

Basically Cybermen voices have been crap after the sixties. I love the original concept of the Cybermen being a race of humans so desperate to survive at any cost that they replaced so much of their bodies they lost what made them human. They were reduced to skulking around the galaxy, desperately finding spare parts so their bodies didn't wear out, and converting suitable people to bulk their numbers up, and indeed every time there was an actual war it went badly for them.

Not big stompy robots going around trying to conquer everything, shouting "Delete" at everything (which mercifully seems to have stopped now), and basically being Daleks with legs. The concept of a cyber suit that is less of a suit of armour and more of a life support system for whatever twisted parody of a human that remains inside is terrifying enough without having to throw a bunch of gimmicky abilities on top of it. I'm looking at you Nightmare in Silver.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I put 2+2 together about halfway through the episode, but the reveal was no less awesome than it turned out to be.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Nick Briggs does amazing Cybermen voices for Big Finish and I honestly can't understand why they don't get him to do the same thing for the tv show. Probably because they're not written in a way that suits that style of voice... but most of the stories about them on tv suck anyway so listen to Briggs!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Edit: Wrong thread

Gonz fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Nov 2, 2014

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
So, is the casting of Michelle Gomez a call back of sorts to Roger Delgado? I ask because they have somewhat similar features and Spanish last names.

Makes sense that she would call herself "Mistress" since she says she is an old fashioned Timelady.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Okay, Missy being the Master was to be expected given all the facts we had to work with. But that actress is having exactly as much fun as she should be having with that role, and it is great to watch. The typical Moffat Woman Traits are still a bit annoying, but for once they actually make a bit of sense here; it's just the Master loving with the Doctor this time, and it works.

The one thing I think is a bit unfortunate is that it's stealing the spotlight from the Cybermen. I'm an unashamed fan of the Cybermen, despite them having a checkered (at best) history with story quality, I'm still always happy when they show up. This is a perfect pitch for a modern Cyberman story; it combines what they were originally envisioned as in the 1960s with a present-day approach to the same issues. Given how the modern world sees technology the Cybermen are really well-suited for this sort of corporate, present-day setting; technology isn't a faceless fear anymore, it's something we willingly let become part of our lives, something we put so much of ourselves into, and something that can so easily betray us.

As much as I'm enjoying Missy, I really wish she wasn't there to split the spotlight, because I can't imagine a better story for the Cybermen. Not only do we have a perfect lead-in for them, but Missy's laying-out of how they're handling the brains inside them is a great sort of 'escalation to action', and we've got Danny Pink as a great way to feel out the concept's human side. But as it stands it's competing for air with Missy, and not getting the chance to really explore all the possibilities.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Nov 2, 2014

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

A bunch of pages ago people were speculating what "I like his accent, I think I'll keep it" meant from Missy in the context that she is the master. Isnt it just as simple as pointing out that both the Doctor and the Master/Missy are both currently played by scottish actors?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

MisterBibs posted:

EDIT: While I'm not comfortable with toxxing myself over it, I'm guessing that based on one of the last scenes, the Kid Danny Shot is going to tell him not to delete his memories, good or bad, in some form. Not sure if that's spoilerblock worthy...

Very high chance that he decides he deserves his pain/it makes him who he is.

Spatula City posted:

I like how Missy convinced the Doctor she was a robot just for shits and giggles. :haw:

I can't decide whether Missy going into full on "I AM A ROBOT, BEEP BOOP" after she kisses the Doctor is genius or nonsense.

Lipset and Rock On
Jan 18, 2009

Dabir posted:

The red phone booths are probably just a London thing now, like big red buses.

As an inhabitant of London, even then I've only seen them in a handful of tourist areas, though St. Pauls obviously counts under that.

I wish I hadn't known about the cyberman reveal, though I liked it anyway. I'm looking forwards to next week so we can say, definitively, if this is that rarest of things - a good cyberman story.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Lipset and Rock On posted:

As an inhabitant of London, even then I've only seen them in a handful of tourist areas, though St. Pauls obviously counts under that.

I wish I hadn't known about the cyberman reveal, though I liked it anyway. I'm looking forwards to next week so we can say, definitively, if this is that rarest of things - a good cyberman story.

Next week is more likely to be a Master story with occasional pew-pew appearances by the Cybermen.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

PriorMarcus posted:

Next week is more likely to be a Master story with occasional pew-pew appearances by the Cybermen.

We've still got Danny to resolve, so there'll be some resolution to that side of things, but the best we'll get is the same roughly 70-30 split of Doomsday, with Missy in place of the Daleks.

Which isn't enough by my book, because again, this is the best Cyberman setup I could have dreamed of, and it's being wasted by having to play supporting act to the Master.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Armyman25 posted:

So, is the casting of Michelle Gomez a call back of sorts to Roger Delgado? I ask because they have somewhat similar features and Spanish last names.

Makes sense that she would call herself "Mistress" since she says she is an old fashioned Timelady.

You think they cast actors based on their names?

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Mr Beens posted:

You think they cast actors based on their names?

No, it just seemed like an odd coincidence.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
This is going to be one of those things where they don't explain how the Master got out of Gallifrey, isn't it?

Glenn_Beckett posted:

A rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrange of visitors

Echoing McCoy is, if nothing else, a really subtle but fantastic hint as to who Missy really was (Death and The Master during 7ths run, Skaro and his ashes, etc.)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Slimnoid posted:

This is going to be one of those things where they don't explain how the Master got out of Gallifrey, isn't it?

Probably turned into a liquid snake or something.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Slimnoid posted:

I'm legitimately expecting it to end with her regenerating into a child and being flung into the far future with a watch on him.

Lipset and Rock On
Jan 18, 2009
I wonder if Moffat's whole 'LOL of course there won't be a woman Doctor, the Doctor's a man and stuff' crap from around the time of Capaldi's casting was because he already had this planned out.

Seems a really Moffat thing to do.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Slimnoid posted:

I think they will and it will be a plot point. Remember that finding Gallifrey was established as the Doctor's new dream, and then when he found one possible link to it he had to spend hundreds of years at Trenzalore keeping it at bay. And all the mysterious calculations he's always doing. I think he's been actively trying to find it all this time, and find a way to bring the Time Lords back without restarting the Time War, and having the Master pop out of the Time Lock will definitely be relevant.

Armyman25 posted:

You mean Roger Caesar Marius Bernard de Delgado Torres Castillo Roberto? :allears: That's almost as good as Siddig El Tahir El Fadil El Siddig Abderrahman Mohammed Ahmed Abdel Karim El Mahdi.

I've never heard of Michelle Gomez before, but looking at pictures of her, I'd say they cast her based on the fact that she pretty much always looks evil. Like if there was a female version of the archetype of haughty, aristocratic, evil Satanic Delgado/Ainley type, she'd be it. I don't see one picture where I can imagine her being a friendly soccer mom, or a sweet lead in a romcom. Perfect casting IMO.

Lipset and Rock On posted:

I was a bit spoiled on it, but I like to think I would have caught it with the eye-doors and the very Tomb-like multilevel crypts.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I can't decide whether Missy going into full on "I AM A ROBOT, BEEP BOOP" after she kisses the Doctor is genius or nonsense.

The answer to that question is "yes".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My brother has just explained to me his theory that Missy was the one who actually plucked the ring from the Master's pyre back in season three, because she waited to regenerate until after the Doctor left. Discuss.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Metal Loaf posted:

My brother has just explained to me his theory that Missy was the one who actually plucked the ring from the Master's pyre back in season three, because she waited to regenerate until after the Doctor left. Discuss.

The ring is used in The End of Time to ressurect him.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
There one thing I actually noticed this season. Every time Missy 'saved' someone, it was a death caused by a robot. She appeared for one of the Clockwork Men, the miltary girl killed by the Dalek defense system, and the cop killed by the war machine in the house. And the Sherwood Forest robots were wanting to see her as well. So it fitting every robot theme episode has a connection to the Master's grand plan.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Also we saw whose hand it was, unless two women have long red fingernails of that specific type.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Burkion posted:

Also we saw whose hand it was, unless two women have long red fingernails of that specific type.

That sounds completely implausible, no two women could have long red fingernails

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MrL_JaKiri posted:

That sounds completely implausible, no two women could have long red fingernails

Bah you know what I mean. They point out who it is in the End of Time.

Rirse posted:

There one thing I actually noticed this season. Every time Missy 'saved' someone, it was a death caused by a robot. She appeared for one of the Clockwork Men, the miltary girl killed by the Dalek defense system, and the cop killed by the war machine in the house. And the Sherwood Forest robots were wanting to see her as well. So it fitting every robot theme episode has a connection to the Master's grand plan.

WHY is what I'm curious about. The gently caress do robots want with Cybermen? What do cybermen want with robits?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I still don't know what to make of that episode. Not a whole lot actually happened outside of the first minute and last minute.

Burkion posted:

What do cybermen want with robits?

:zoid:

• Locked thread