Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

pengun101 posted:

How was the Revan expansion pack?

Hasn't come out yet. From the sounds of it, you disrupt Revan's plans at the Yavin 4 temple (which I'm pretty sure is featured in quite a few games like Mysteries of the Sith) and fight Revan as a raidboss who wants to resurrect the Sith Emperor for some reason.

If the reason is to have a sweet fight vs the Sith Emperor as a raidboss, I'm all in on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

oatgan posted:

The Old Republic wasn't the first place they just gave her a name, but this is getting even further off topic so:

Was there a different release date for The Last Court or does it just release when the Keep is officially out.

They said it's gonna be out pretty soon. If I had to guess I'd say sometime next week.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Cythereal posted:

There are parts of Act 2 when the Imperial Agent is under a form of mind control and you can pick whatever dialogue option you want but your character is forced to obey the mind control regardless of what you want to say.

If that counts as subverting the dialogue system, then Mass Effect did that long before SWTOR was even announced.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Keeshhound posted:

If that counts as subverting the dialogue system, then Mass Effect did that long before SWTOR was even announced.

I was thinking the same thing. Three different dialogue options that all say "I saw...visions. It didn't make any sense."

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The first Mass Effect was so egregious in that regard. There are several occasions where you have a dialogue choice and Shepard says the exact same thing regardless of what you pick.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Keeshhound posted:

Man, I remember Monkey Island doing this, I think it was in 2, where you're suddenly scared stiff of LeChuck and your witty retorts all just end up being you whimpering. Unless I'm misremembering something from Curse.

Edit: vvv That's a very subversive thing to say are you a communist/capitalist spy?

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Nov 1, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
No no guys, that's totally subversion.

etjester
Jul 14, 2008

[insert text here]
You're right. There is no difference between deceiving the player by railroading certain voiced responses as in ME1 vs using the mechanics to reinforce the narrative of the player being mind controlled in TOR. None whatsoever.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

etjester posted:

You're right. There is no difference between deceiving the player by railroading certain voiced responses as in ME1 vs using the mechanics to reinforce the narrative of the player being mind controlled in TOR. None whatsoever.

Shep was under Reaper Indoctrination from the start! :aaaaa:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

There's a choice in NWN2 where all the choices are cutoff because the character you're talking to isn't letting you get a word in edgewise.

It's something like

quote:

1. Wa-
2. Tha-
3. Why-
4. Fare-
5. I-

and he keeps talking and then runs off no matter what you pick.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
"Will you please save our town?"
No
No
No
Yes
"Oh, Thank you, Weedlord Bonerhitler!"

Orv
May 4, 2011
Be real, Weedlord Bonerhitler is an upstanding gentleman and would say yes the first time.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

KittyEmpress posted:

I have had this argument before, but SWTOR didn't poo poo on Kotor2 half as much as you guys still insist it did. It did three main points - it killed the Exile, it made Nihilus someone who learned to do what he did with someone else, and it ignored all of Kreia's bullshit.

The thing is, Kreia died, and the exile doesn't agree with her. Her whole the force is bad and good and evil are bad thing is something you get no option of really agreeing with. It is portrayed, within its own game, as a belief that will die out along with her.

Then again, you guys still really think KOTOR2 was some subversive masterpiece when the themes you guys all praise come up like, three times total. I feel like most people who praise the game haven't played it in years and forget what it was actually like.

I played it a month ago and it's still loving awesome. The themes are hammered out and reinforced all game in dialogue with the characters. What themes are you talking about that are mentioned 3 times?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
You know what really needs to stop? Crossing stories from games and books. Keep your story in either the game or the book. Don't start introducing characters from books/comic books into main games because it's dumb as gently caress. And stop having important world building storytelling events happening in the books.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
I'm ok with lore being developed outside of the game, like in a book, cause that's basically the same as the lore developed for the game. I'm not ok with the game basically giving you no information about that thing, essentially expecting you to have read the book. If it's important enough to effect the game's plot, put a synopsis in the game itself. Like, the Mass Effect book about Anderson trying to become a Spectre. That was fine, cause it really was just backstory for the game that was basically explained to you by talking to Anderson. I never read the book, and don't feel like I understood Mass Effect 1 any less for it.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

bobtheconqueror posted:

I'm ok with lore being developed outside of the game, like in a book, cause that's basically the same as the lore developed for the game. I'm not ok with the game basically giving you no information about that thing, essentially expecting you to have read the book. If it's important enough to effect the game's plot, put a synopsis in the game itself. Like, the Mass Effect book about Anderson trying to become a Spectre. That was fine, cause it really was just backstory for the game that was basically explained to you by talking to Anderson. I never read the book, and don't feel like I understood Mass Effect 1 any less for it.

A book about Anderson's attempt to become a spectre is fine because it has no bearing on the story of the games. A book that introduce a cereal eating cyborg ninja and then the game expecting you to be intimidated by him at without any context for who he is... is loving pants on wall loving retarded.

Bioware and Blizzard have been the loving worst about this stuff.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Mordiceius posted:

A book about Anderson's attempt to become a spectre is fine because it has no bearing on the story of the games. A book that introduce a cereal eating cyborg ninja and then the game expecting you to be intimidated by him at without any context for who he is... is loving pants on wall loving retarded.

Yeah, that's an example of a thing that's not ok, although that character would be woefully stupid even if he wasn't a mary sue-esque douchebag from a novel. Not really trying to excuse lovely inserts like that, just saying that EU book stuff being in a game isn't always bad. When done right, it just fleshes out the setting without expecting the player to know poo poo in advance, just like the content written for the actual game.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

Didn't Bungie also have a raging hardon for this kind of practice with the Halo series?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Yeah, but I think for all the bad things that Bioware has done they will never quite reach the level of "Original character do not steal" as that kid who was meant to be the child of an orc, draenai raised by the best sorcerer and had the powers of every single branch of magic. That only appeared in the comics and was "important" to the fate of the world.

I mean bioware hasn't done anything that bad yet.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Sylphosaurus posted:

Didn't Bungie also have a raging hardon for this kind of practice with the Halo series?

Never got that feeling from the Bungie games, but 4 introduces the Forerunners as more than just random nameless aliens that made poo poo, and apparently a lot of that comes from EU books.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Halo had like a twenty books written for it and it's like a dozen years old at this point and they kind of run the gamut of bullshit media tie-in problems.

The most hilarious being everyone just assumes the completely unexplained plot in the latest game is a result of all the books, when really it hinges on obtuse hidden messages in the previous game.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Josef bugman posted:

Yeah, but I think for all the bad things that Bioware has done they will never quite reach the level of "Original character do not steal" as that kid who was meant to be the child of an orc, draenai raised by the best sorcerer and had the powers of every single branch of magic. That only appeared in the comics and was "important" to the fate of the world.

Imoen.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

Josef bugman posted:

The only saving grace about that situation is that so far not even a trace of that stupid character is in their games. I hope that not even Metzen considers it a good character, but at the same time, he is contemplating to resurrect and redeem Illidan so who the gently caress knows.

Brumaldo
Jun 29, 2013

Orv posted:

Imoen.

We'll never gonna let that live that down, are we.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Mordiceius posted:

LucasArts did this a lot with The Clone Wars animation series. When I saw Episode 3 I had no idea who that General Grievous was and why he seemed so important, it bothered me. A lot of banter between characters also point to the TV show and it's annoying.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Furism posted:

LucasArts did this a lot with The Clone Wars animation series. When I saw Episode 3 I had no idea who that General Grievous was and why he seemed so important, it bothered me. A lot of banter between characters also point to the TV show and it's annoying.

Did you have a time machine?

Unless I'm forgetting something, I could have sworn the animated series came out waaaaay after Episode 3. Episode 3 was just a mess in terms of shoving everything they wanted in, so a lot of the Grevious stuff got cut. Guess they put it into the animated thing later? Never watched it. Either way, kind of a different sort of problem.

edit: Huh, its pilot was before the movie was out. Was even on cartoon network back when I was probably still watching it, so now I'm questioning how I'd missed that. Yeah, that's kind of lame then and a good example of what not to do with your derivative work.

Decus fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Nov 2, 2014

Orv
May 4, 2011

Brumaldo posted:

We'll never gonna let that live that down, are we.

Hell the gently caress no.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Orv posted:

Hell the gently caress no.

What happened with that lady?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Josef bugman posted:

What happened with that lady?

The world may never know.

That I will from 2001 to the end of time feed her to the spirits in the circus.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Okay, so she has an annoying voice, surely she cannot be as bad as this:

Orv
May 4, 2011
You'll just have to take my word that she is.

Alternatively why the gently caress are you reading WoW comics.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Orv posted:

The world may never know.

That I will from 2001 to the end of time feed her to the spirits in the circus.

Wow, and I thought anglophone Imoen sounded annoying. I wonder what the rest of the BG cast sounds like in French.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Something about Kai Leng's mask, helmet thing, and facial features always made his face look really, really chubby. That's the reason I couldn't take him seriously, not the books.

also if he's chinese why does his armor have a vague samurai thing going on

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

Something about Kai Leng's mask, helmet thing, and facial features always made his face look really, really chubby. That's the reason I couldn't take him seriously, not the books.

Lol white people?

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

Josef bugman posted:

Okay, so she has an annoying voice, surely she cannot be as bad as this:

I've also heard that Garona's background might be getting a rewrite for WoD (and not simply due to the events that happen in it), so if that's true it means this entire bullcrap is not considered cannon.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
So this DA Last Court thing, do you have to actually pre-order via Origin for it to show up or do you just have to have exported from the keep? I've no interest in buying Inquisition right now, but this seemed like it was supposed to be free for anyone who exported?

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

kater posted:

Halo had like a twenty books written for it

Twenty books, about several dozen comic books, several animated movies and a whole host of other poo poo. It's quickly approaching Star Wars levels at this rate.

evilmiera posted:

So this DA Last Court thing, do you have to actually pre-order via Origin for it to show up or do you just have to have exported from the keep? I've no interest in buying Inquisition right now, but this seemed like it was supposed to be free for anyone who exported?

It's apparently available once Keep goes out of beta. Which should be sometime over the next two weeks.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Endorph posted:

Probably because Samurai were from Japan.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Furism posted:

Probably because Samurai were from Japan.

I think that's specifically what he meant. Why would a Chinese guy wear armor based on Japanese tradition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

Deltasquid posted:

I think that's specifically what he meant. Why would a Chinese guy wear armor based on Japanese tradition.

jerichojx posted:

Lol white people?

• Locked thread