Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Azhais posted:

Death, in fact, had a tank top. Just not a belly shirt. Hell, all that picture of Felicity is missing is the umbrella.

No, yeah Death was mostly drawn with her in a tanktop. Not with a vest over it. :colbert:

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

You clearly do, in fact, give a gently caress.
I care enough that it's fun to complain about it on a lazy saturday morning in between other things, I guess. I'd just have loved to see Rickards not necessarily more gothed out, but more creatively gothed up, if that makes any sense. The flame burns eternal either way, but it could certainly burn hotter, if you know what I mean. :heysexy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Maybe it was laundry day, she was a student after all.

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

HEY BAD GUYS, THIS IS THE VICE PRESIDENT, PLEASE DON'T KILL HIM!
I guess I'm the only one who got super stoked over the green lantern reference. Ferris Air :) it was like the Harley cameo all over again.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

LordNad posted:

I guess I'm the only one who got super stoked over the green lantern reference. Ferris Air :) it was like the Harley cameo all over again.

They already made the reference originally in S1 when Fyers tried to shoot the plane down in the first place.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Still made me grin, i love the little world building things they do.

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

HEY BAD GUYS, THIS IS THE VICE PRESIDENT, PLEASE DON'T KILL HIM!

greatn posted:

They already made the reference originally in S1 when Fyers tried to shoot the plane down in the first place.

True but I still squealed like a little girl.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Calling it now, in a flashback to goth college Felicity, Felicity's mom will say that she "looks like death"

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

LordNad posted:

True but I still squealed like a little girl.

The Flash's first test run was at a Ferris Air strip that's somewhere near Central City.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
How accurate are the TV portrayals of the Green Arrow and Flash's origin stories compared to what they are in the comics? I know nothing about them as I am a Marvel guy.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Windows 98 posted:

How accurate are the TV portrayals of the Green Arrow and Flash's origin stories compared to what they are in the comics? I know nothing about them as I am a Marvel guy.

They're pretty much the same, except that they decided to really expand their scope. Arrow's origin story is essentially an ongoing parallel show. Flash's origin is at first simple, but turns out to be part of a complex conspiracy. Oliver Queen learned to survive on an island, Barry Allen was struck by lightning, but the tv adaptations expand them massively.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Windows 98 posted:

Flash's is pretty identical AFAICT. Lightning bolt plus chemicals = super powers.

I was never a big Green Arrow kid, but I think all the island stuff is purely the show (or at least not the original origin). GA was originally almost a carbon copy of Batman from what I've picked up from BSS and such. Rich guy decides to be a hero, uses trick arrows as gadgets (like the infamous boxing glove arrow); he started drifing away from the Batman shadow when writers made him more of an activist hero, he palled around with Green Lantern for a while IIRC.

I'm sure someone will be along to correct me and/or expand on this.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Windows 98 posted:

Arrow's was pretty different originally. I think his parents were on a safari with him and died to a mauling because he didn't kill the animal in time or something. After Bruce Wayning it up playboy style for a few years he crashed into an island like in the tv show except he taught himself how to hunt and survive. He broke up a drug den by CHina White and felt he was pretty bomb-rear end diggity and decided to head back home and be awesome over there. He got the bow and arrow thing from being as huge a fan of Robin Hood as Wayne was of Zorro as a kid.

Oliver Queen of the show has yet to have a crisis of conscience, mainly because unlike his comic book past, he is absolutely removed from doing anything public and charitable to benefit his city. Right now Ray Palmer is taking that charge. Maybe Ollie'll one day get jealous of Ray trying to mind-bang Felicity and try to do some public good as himself and not as the Arrow.

The Flash was closer, but I think he just literally got hit with lightning and that was it.

Origin stories are literally a dime a dozen though, so you can pick and choose the accuracy depending upon what year you want to read from.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Nov 1, 2014

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Drifter posted:

Oliver Queen of the show has yet to have a crisis of conscience, mainly because unlike his comic book past, he is absolutely removed from doing anything public and charitable to benefit his city. Right now Ray Palmer is taking that charge. Maybe Ollie'll one day get jealous of Ray trying to mind-bang Felicity and try to do some public good as himself and not as the Arrow.

He was trying to do some public good in season 2. He just found out that he accidentally buddied up with one of the guys working to destabilize and destroy his city.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

He was trying to do some public good in season 2. He just found out that he accidentally buddied up with one of the guys working to destabilize and destroy his city.

Do you mean the public good where he said gently caress it and never bothered showing up to his multi-million dollar company? (I know, I know. I kid.)

Mr. Blood or whatever would STILL have done better for Starling if he were alive right now than Ollie ever has.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I think they might bring Blood back. It was a bit of a waste to kill him the way they did. It was a while back, but I seem to remember they didn't make his death too certain and never mentioned him again at all. And gently caress it, if Barrowman could come back...

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

VagueRant posted:

I think they might bring Blood back. It was a bit of a waste to kill him the way they did. It was a while back, but I seem to remember they didn't make his death too certain and never mentioned him again at all. And gently caress it, if Barrowman could come back...

Summer Glau shoved two swords through his chest and left him to bleed on his desk. He's dead.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Haha, IF he DID come back Ollie'd have to be all "hey man, it's cool; water under the bridge, i guess," or else he'd be a major fuckin' hypocrite rear end in a top hat...even more of one.

Brother Blood cared more about the actual people in the city than Ollie ever did. He just...you know, made kind of an iffy triage decision.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ollie will be Mayor within 2 seasons. Double down on that.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I dunno, this is Arrow. In two seasons Ollie could be president.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

Summer Glau shoved two swords through his chest and left him to bleed on his desk. He's dead.
Deadshot got an arrow in the BRAIN.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

VagueRant posted:

Deadshot got an arrow in the BRAIN.

Nah, it pierced his eye, but his eye piece slowed it down.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Yeah, arrows can't get all the way through eyeballs.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

boom boom boom posted:

Yeah, arrows can't get all the way through eyeballs.

Not mirakuru toughened eyeballs anyway.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I think I've gotten my people mixed up. Who was getting sworn in as mayor at the start of this season during Moira's funeral?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Moira's funeral was last season. That was Blood.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Aphrodite posted:

Moira's funeral was last season. That was Blood.

I think I saw a Youtube clip of it, which is why I remember seeing it more recently and assumed Blood had to be alive after Summer Glau died. I'm following something like six dramas at once right now, so I guess I slipped a brain cell or two.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Nov 2, 2014

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

You know, they mentioned that Starling City is almost abandoned but haven't really done a good job of demonstrating that.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
I like how Oliver seems to have no job what-so-ever and manages to sponge off of others.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

He probably takes illegally-gained money from criminals to fund his crimefighting. And anonymously donates a significant amount of it to charity too, of course.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

You know, they mentioned that Starling City is almost abandoned but haven't really done a good job of demonstrating that.

I feel like that and Ollie's personal fall from wealth are probably going to be really underplayed, which is kind of sad since those things feel like parts of that late-60s early-70s Green Arrow Social Justice stuff that make even some non-comic fans go "Ohhhhh, THAT Green Arrow!"

Basically a scene or two of Oliver hanging out in the waiting room of the welfare office filling out paperwork would be, IMO, very cool.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Ollie's just TV poor, where he doesn't have enough money to do some things that the plot might occasionally require, but still has enough money to live a totally comfortable life.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

The Shortest Path posted:

He probably takes illegally-gained money from criminals to fund his crimefighting. And anonymously donates a significant amount of it to charity too, of course.

Nah, insanely rich people need a sizable cocaine habit and a lot of *really* poor life decisions to end up actually poor. There's a reason the first season was "Ollie versus capitalism", there is no super power in the world greater than wealth. Through it all things are possible. Even earthquake machines.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Yeah I think its reasonable to assume that Oliver had some money squirreled away that survived last season. Although, as far as I'm aware he doesn't have a home or anything and he's sleeping in the night club? I might be mistaken on that though.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Boogaleeboo posted:

Nah, insanely rich people need a sizable cocaine habit and a lot of *really* poor life decisions to end up actually poor. There's a reason the first season was "Ollie versus capitalism", there is no super power in the world greater than wealth. Through it all things are possible. Even earthquake machines.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

I feel like that and Ollie's personal fall from wealth are probably going to be really underplayed, which is kind of sad since those things feel like parts of that late-60s early-70s Green Arrow Social Justice stuff that make even some non-comic fans go "Ohhhhh, THAT Green Arrow!"

Basically a scene or two of Oliver hanging out in the waiting room of the welfare office filling out paperwork would be, IMO, very cool.

Agreed. It's something I'd really appreciate to see happen but can't really expect from modern network television.

Even Arrow can't do everything perfectly, I guess. :sigh:

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

HaitianDivorce posted:

Agreed. It's something I'd really appreciate to see happen but can't really expect from modern network television.

Even Arrow can't do everything perfectly, I guess. :sigh:

I guess it's particularly weird since they paid more attention to how Ollie's fall affected Felicity than Ollie directly.

And from what I saw of the upcoming show spoilers, I'd rather see an "Oliver deals with poverty" episode than the backstory of Felicity. I've never needed her backstory to appreciate her.

This feels like the perfect time to re-introduce that bank-robbing family from season 1 :(

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Well the converse side of that is the dude lived on Murder Island for a few years, then he was drafted to be an assassin for a shady government agency. I doubt he gives a poo poo about money beyond the legacy of his family that Queen Consolidated is, and the potential good it could be used for. He could live feral on the streets and he'd just hunt rats or something, it'd still be a step up from what he's been through.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Boogaleeboo posted:

Well the converse side of that is the dude lived on Murder Island for a few years, then he was drafted to be an assassin for a shady government agency. I doubt he gives a poo poo about money beyond the legacy of his family that Queen Consolidated is, and the potential good it could be used for. He could live feral on the streets and he'd just hunt rats or something, it'd still be a step up from what he's been through.

True, although the flip-flip side is then Ollie discovering that poverty isn't so far off from that hell or a different kind of hell type thing such that it further motivates him into an even more complex 'what do I really need to do to help this city?' personal debate.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Ollie's not literally poor. He still owns the majority share of Queen Consolidated, even though "it's too diluted to be worth much" or whatever nonsense their lawyer gave them last season. But whatever, that value doesn't just disappear because the board voted him down as CEO. He is still getting enormous dividend payments I'm sure, and could potentially sell the company if he was that hard up.

I dunno, that's how it works in my head-canon--I can't really swallow "the board voted ME to be CEO, now you're penniless hahahaha!" because the world doesn't work like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Ray Palmer should be like "Mr. Queen, I was going through the books and saw the day your sister was kidnapped the board voted to seize your family's house and make it a company asset, and evicted your family? Uh, that seems pretty shifty, I'm going to reverse that and give you access again... Well, to the guest house at least."

• Locked thread