Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Are there even 40 enemy types, anyway? I know there's quite a few but that seems like it's pushing it a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Fedule posted:

Are there even 40 enemy types, anyway? I know there's quite a few but that seems like it's pushing it a bit.

The flashback chapters have to have at least 10-15 on their own.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
I finally got around to doing Tag Climax with a live person. We had the same setup but swapped (I had whips on hands/chainsaws on feet, he had vice versa) and at the end I beat him 185k to 9k. What was he doing wrong to create such a disparity? :psyduck:

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

I tried Tag Climax for the first time the other day, in half the fights the other guy got in a mech halfway through and whenever he did that he beat me by quite a lot of points. How was he doing that? Is it an accessory, or does a mech just randomly appear and you have to beat the other person to it, or what?

Also I couldn't see any way to choose a second weapon set, do you only get to use one? That would kind of suck.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Suaimhneas posted:

I tried Tag Climax for the first time the other day, in half the fights the other guy got in a mech halfway through and whenever he did that he beat me by quite a lot of points. How was he doing that? Is it an accessory, or does a mech just randomly appear and you have to beat the other person to it, or what?

There's an accessory to drop down a mech. I think it's 500,000 halos.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Suspicious Cook posted:

I finally got around to doing Tag Climax with a live person. We had the same setup but swapped (I had whips on hands/chainsaws on feet, he had vice versa) and at the end I beat him 185k to 9k. What was he doing wrong to create such a disparity? :psyduck:

Probably unable to maintain a combo or not being as good at you at dodging. I'm okay at the game and I tend to run either into players that are really good so there's no point in me even betting (which makes me wish that we'd do bosses so I'd at least get 50k out of it) or people who are really bad in which case I walk away with about 200k. For me it comes down to needing to get better rhythm for the dodging, but there's a lot of people playing who have even less skill than that.

Suaimhneas posted:

Also I couldn't see any way to choose a second weapon set, do you only get to use one? That would kind of suck.

As mentioned the mech accessory costs 500k, is available after an appropriate point in story mode, and is totally worth it. It grants a huge multiplier for single hits and you can rack up an obscene score with it. The catch is that you're usually giving up area control for the sake of it and on some tag climaxes that's better to have (that one with the floaty guys that you can get 32k on in one fight is an example of that).

There's one tag battle that automatically gives you the mech and I always walk away from that fight with over 120k even if I don't win just from the bonus halos.

You only get one weapon set for tag climaxes. Makes the decision a bit tougher.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Pretty sure Witch Trial V was coded by the Devil and I have no desire to indulge it any further.

You don't even get a prize for beating it!

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Found a fun game to play with friends on Tag Climax.

All Random All 3☆ Tag Climax.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCxchHA4Rpw

The rules are obvious. Select a random verse card by hitting X on the verse card menu and set it to 3 stars. It's really fun and really drat hard. We still haven't won a full set.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Golden Goat posted:

I've been able to beat all the one combo Muspelheims at the moment but i'm pretty sure i'm not doing dodge offset properly.

Dodge offsets are great. My right hand just spasms and my screen fills with fire dragons and panther claws. I have no idea how you are supposed to cancel stuff with the gamepad, poo poo just seems beyond me.

Also putting this game down during the week and then coming back to Chapter 9 or 10 or whichever starts spamming you with fuckers that both parry and roll out of weaves is brutal. And then the ninja demons that loving bait your dodge? Oh my god. The instant-kill snakes can get hosed though, why would they do that.

I really hate the weapons you pick up by default by the way. The bow and the dual swords and the elemental pistons all loving suck. And I thought I've been thorough as gently caress exploring but I've got three different LPs uncompleted at like chapter 11 or 12. I ended up switching back to guns because of how much I hate those three weapons. I really wish I had the elemental claws from Bayo 1.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

kater posted:

I really hate the weapons you pick up by default by the way. The bow and the dual swords and the elemental pistons all loving suck. And I thought I've been thorough as gently caress exploring but I've got three different LPs uncompleted at like chapter 11 or 12. I ended up switching back to guns because of how much I hate those three weapons. I really wish I had the elemental claws from Bayo 1.

The LP from Chapter 10 and the weapon you get from Chapter 11 are Good Weapon Combination Central

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

kater posted:

Dodge offsets are great. My right hand just spasms and my screen fills with fire dragons and panther claws. I have no idea how you are supposed to cancel stuff with the gamepad, poo poo just seems beyond me.

Also putting this game down during the week and then coming back to Chapter 9 or 10 or whichever starts spamming you with fuckers that both parry and roll out of weaves is brutal. And then the ninja demons that loving bait your dodge? Oh my god. The instant-kill snakes can get hosed though, why would they do that.

The bow and dual swords are extremely good. I haven't gotten used to undine yet though.

Fedule posted:

My friend counted 45 (including bosses) in the model viewer. This really is the best action game ever made.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

Evil Eagle posted:

Found a fun game to play with friends on Tag Climax.

All Random All 3☆ Tag Climax.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCxchHA4Rpw

The rules are obvious. Select a random verse card by hitting X on the verse card menu and set it to 3 stars. It's really fun and really drat hard. We still haven't won a full set.

I have to say this is a pretty awesome idea. Definitely looking forward to doing this when I get my copy.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Just ordered my refurbed Wii U and copy of Bayonetta 2. Should I get a pro controller too? I'm not sure how that gamepad is going to feel after a few hours. It seems heavy and awkwardly shaped.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I can't go back to the pad after using the Pro Controller. It's really nice for Bayo 2.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The Pro Controller is a good buy, not just for Bayonetta 2 but also for most of the best stuff in the Wii U library. It's a much comfier option for games that don't make significant use of the Gamepad functions, which is a lot of them.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Cool, guess I'll rationalize this with the $100 I just saved.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I think the gamepad's weight feels fine and I'm comfortable using it for a long-rear end time so ymmv

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, the gamepad's not only not as bad as you'd think it would be, it's actually a good, comfortable controller. I think the bumper buttons are a little awkward, but that's about it.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I like the Gamepad and the only reason I want to get a pro controller is to preserve the analog sticks (at least, the left one) on a nearly mandatory & unreplaceable piece of the console.

I can't comfortably reach the bumper buttons, either. I think Nintendo and most devs know this, though, because it seems like they're almost never used in default control schemes.

enojy fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Nov 2, 2014

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Pomp posted:

Yeah, the gamepad's not only not as bad as you'd think it would be, it's actually a good, comfortable controller. I think the bumper buttons are a little awkward, but that's about it.

It's too big, too heavy and the batteries are dead after 2 hours.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
disclaimer - I'm huge person and also I exercise regularly

edit:I'm actually DIO IRL

Pomp fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Nov 2, 2014

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I use the pro controller for most Wii U games (and I also use it on my PC). It's probably the best controller I have ever had.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The Gamepad is about as comfortable as a big rectangle with a screen in it can be made to be, but the Pro Controller doesn't have to make those compromises and so achieves maximum comfiness.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

I never use the pro controller because the button placement is bad, it's an awkward and uncomfortable stretch to reach the Y button. I don't have that problem with the gamepad, I guess its buttons must be closer to the edge.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Wait the dual swords are bad? I just picked them up last night after having started and they felt pretty good. Also the gamepad is fine, it feels nice and is designed well, but I tend to play on my pro controller because I always feel really nervous about breaking an analog stick or a button or something when I do the torture attacks and climaxes.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

The swords are good the gamepad is good the pro controller's probably good but I didn't buy one because I basically play every game on the gamepad screen

Has anyone figured out a good use for Undine? They lack the range of the guns and the strength of salamandra; they seem like they'd be decent for crowd control but alraune and chernabog are so good at that I don't see a reason not to use those, outside of spraying fire everywhere looking cool as poo poo.

VVV Guns rule. Use guns. Learn how to dodge offset and never stop shooting guns and hair fists

Ruggington fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Nov 2, 2014

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Well I finally got the drat 'chievement. Know who finally gave it to me? Fuckin' Grace & Glory. gently caress you. Now to never use Undine again except in a couple weird edge cases cause it's just kinda slow and cumbersome and frankly I'm kinda sick of 'em. Seriously, 40 enemy types was a bad idea.

Controllerchat: Pro Controller all day err' day. I played the demo only on the Gamepad but I borrowed a Pro 'Troller from a friend when I got the game and when he went home I immediately went out and bought one myself after ten minutes back on the gamepad. (One thing this game has taught me is that I seriously dislike the reversed stick/facebutton placement on the WiiU, so I guess if there was a third-party controller that combined the build quality and ludicrous battery life of the Pro Controller with the button placement of an Xbox controller then that would be my favourite.)

(Seriously the battery life of the Pro Controller is absurd. I'm at like 10-12 hours since I bought it and it is still showing four blue battery bar things out of four.)

Weaponchat: My first run though the game I came to harbour a healthy appreciation for the scythe. It's not quite as slow as the hammer and it actually has both functional weaves and ranged ability. However, I keep coming back to Guns 'n' Whips. They're just too useful. The guns are good - maybe too good - as a default weapon because they're just so utilitarian, and adding some whips gives you excellent crowd control and awesome visual effects (oh and grab-stuns too, those are nice). My current non Guns 'n' Whips set is Katana 'n' Chainsaws for maximal close-range spammage but honestly I'm not sure it's outdamaging Guns 'n' Whips in any situation. I will continue to experiment.

Advice for new players: Always keep Guns 'n' Guns as one of your sets and experiment with the other.

Further Advice for new players: Guns 'n' Guns are also awesome because if you have them equipped to both hands and feet you'll get visual confirmation when you Dodge Offset correctly, making them great for practice when you're starting out.

Fedule fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Nov 2, 2014

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Suaimhneas posted:

I never use the pro controller because the button placement is bad, it's an awkward and uncomfortable stretch to reach the Y button. I don't have that problem with the gamepad, I guess its buttons must be closer to the edge.

It sounds like you have your hands hiked up a bit too far up the controller. At rest, your thumb should fall across A/X and swing comfortably to B/Y or to the right stick.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Ruggington posted:

Has anyone figured out a good use for Undine? They lack the range of the guns and the strength of salamandra; they seem like they'd be decent for crowd control but alraune and chernabog are so good at that I don't see a reason not to use those, outside of spraying fire everywhere looking cool as poo poo.

Undine is ostensibly quite good at crowd control, yes. The theory is that you can freeze people or set them on fire to remove them from the equation for a while, but that's really only practical for small enemies that better weapons could eviscerate en masse anyway. You can get some good stuff out of them when facing two or three big enemies (say, Pains) and you have the Bracelet of Time, you can effectively keep one of them frozen at all times while wailing on the other. Buuuuut that's still kinda an edge case and I'unno.

Maybe on the harder difficulties, if you can freeze people with the same amount of spray, they'll come into their own and be better at handling big bunches of small enemies than spamming weaves and sycthes and whips.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mr. Neutron posted:

It's too big

On the contrary. All other controllers are too small. Well, except Duke.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

I'm playing now if anyone wants to do baby level tag climax. Deviant749 on Nintendo but pm me too so I know to look at it.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Fedule posted:

Undine is ostensibly quite good at crowd control, yes. The theory is that you can freeze people or set them on fire to remove them from the equation for a while, but that's really only practical for small enemies that better weapons could eviscerate en masse anyway. You can get some good stuff out of them when facing two or three big enemies (say, Pains) and you have the Bracelet of Time, you can effectively keep one of them frozen at all times while wailing on the other. Buuuuut that's still kinda an edge case and I'unno.

Maybe on the harder difficulties, if you can freeze people with the same amount of spray, they'll come into their own and be better at handling big bunches of small enemies than spamming weaves and sycthes and whips.

The problem I run into with Undine is that the delay before the fire or ice starts up is so long that you're going to get bonked unless you've got a healthy amount of witch time.

Also they don't have an associated costume, so that's an even bigger hurdle to overcome.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Are fire and ice good against angels/demons respectively? I'm not sure if any elemental weakness comes into play.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I see one of the combos in the combo list for chainsaws on feet is "Butterfly">Kick. What does the Butterfly symbol mean in this?

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

notZaar posted:

Are fire and ice good against angels/demons respectively? I'm not sure if any elemental weakness comes into play.

As far as I know, no.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I see one of the combos in the combo list for chainsaws on feet is "Butterfly">Kick. What does the Butterfly symbol mean in this?

Jump, specifically do the next button right as you jump.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Fedule posted:

Well I finally got the drat 'chievement. Know who finally gave it to me? Fuckin' Grace & Glory. gently caress you. Now to never use Undine again except in a couple weird edge cases cause it's just kinda slow and cumbersome and frankly I'm kinda sick of 'em. Seriously, 40 enemy types was a bad idea.

So I just got Ice Queen as well, but it didn't take me an entire 'nother run-through of the game. I mostly stuck to levels that house the widest variety of enemy types like chapters 10 and 13 while also freezing the actual bosses which I believe counted. I think the various sub-types of each enemy count as one enemy type as well.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Oh its 40 enemy types? lol

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Holy poo poo Witch Trial 5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Here's another all random all 3 stars where we actually win this time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZGwEvFdAmI

The video fucks up during the verse select for some reason, not sure why.

Evil Eagle fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Nov 3, 2014

• Locked thread