Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Kly posted:

Does this include the base game as well? 'cause if so that's $13 Canadian and I can't say no to that. If it doesn't include the base game though that's pretty much the same price as the steam Europa Universalis IV Collection with the added bonus and being able to communicate in the same language as the seller. I can't tell for sure if it's included, the pack is called DLC collection though so I don't think so.

I don't think so. The base game is 17 reals, which I guess is about $7 or so.

Here's what's in the pack anyway: https://www.paradoxplaza.com/europa-universalis-iv-dlc-collection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

PittTheElder posted:

If anything I think it makes it easier to deal with rebels. It's certainly more convenient, since it's predictable rather than based on the whims of the RNG, and as you stated, it's pretty straightforward to contain yourself if you know there's trouble on the horizon. It also makes it much easier to reduce your military maintenance while at peace, since you don't have to worry about a stack getting wiped by surprise rebels.

It also leaves the door open for the hilarious strategy of - if there's only a few provinces with a particular rebel group - parking large armies on all the provinces for three months, driving Unrest below zero temporarily, and then watching their progress reset.

On the other hand, AoW seems to have made the Ottomans really passive, which is disappointing.

Yeah, I'm loving the new rebel system, mostly because I don't have to worry about moving smaller troop stacks across volatile territory.

Also, the Ottomans are trucking along as usual in my game, having taken most of the Balkans and almost eliminated the Mamluks by 1600.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Is there a way to spread out your army template to be built in different provinces?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Knuc U Kinte posted:

That's like 11 American money for everything but the latest DLC.

Um, I might be stupid but how do you actually buy things through there? The purchase page is asking for CPF information which appears to be some weird Brazilian thing.

e: Oh wait I clicked the non paypal one.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Mantis42 posted:

Um, I might be stupid but how do you actually buy things through there? The purchase page is asking for CPF information which appears to be some weird Brazilian thing.

I used paypal.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

There's a radio button in the shopping cart page where you choose between the brazilian thing and pay pal.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Yea I missed that somehow even though its really obvious.

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because fuck you.

Kly posted:

I've read the descriptions of the DLC but it's hard to tell how big a deal the added features are. Is it mostly stuff like the aztec invasion and muslim or india DLC of CK2 that's mostly contained to one aspect of the game that's easily ignored or is it more like the retinue or viceroy DLC that changes the entire game pretty significantly?

The game's wiki has descriptions: http://www.eu4wiki.com/Downloadable_content#Expansions

The focus of the expansions has been on Republics, Trade, Colonization, and War. So it's more of a mechanics thing than CK2's culture focused expansions. Still, the base game is good and will give you a sense if you want to pick up any more of the DLC.

edit:

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Is there a way to spread out your army template to be built in different provinces?

Below the buttons where you add units, there's a set of buttons to add provinces. It's at 0 by default. If you shift-click it, it'll go up to the number of units in the army so they each get their own province.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

My favorite thing about this expansion is the improvements to the rest of the world.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

DeeEmTee posted:

The craziest part about that is there is no reason for it. They can still pretty much just ignore all the brakes on expansion.

I know! They have all those cores in Anatolia that they could take with zero repurcussions, and they don't. A hundred years passed in my game, and they hadn't even attacked Byzantium, who had 3 provinces and was allied to only Serbia.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

If anything I think it makes it easier to deal with rebels. It's certainly more convenient, since it's predictable rather than based on the whims of the RNG, and as you stated, it's pretty straightforward to contain yourself if you know there's trouble on the horizon. It also makes it much easier to reduce your military maintenance while at peace, since you don't have to worry about a stack getting wiped by surprise rebels.

It also leaves the door open for the hilarious strategy of - if there's only a few provinces with a particular rebel group - parking large armies on all the provinces for three months, driving Unrest below zero temporarily, and then watching their progress reset.

On the other hand, AoW seems to have made the Ottomans really passive, which is disappointing.

The Ottomans seem to be doing well in my game. Then again, I'm on the other side of the world. Meanwhile the Commonwealth ate up most of eastern Europe and the reformation seems to have started in Northumberland.

Westernization is way less painful than it used to be, and even as a fairly large nation I was able to do it without too much trouble. I think they also reduced the frequency on those bad events, or maybe I just got lucky with them. Ended up taking me 17 years as Ayutthaya, but I got away with nothing but a tiny bit of unrest and also zero land/sea tradition.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

I learned to play CK2 reading Capn Andy's tutorial LP. Are the in-game tutorials in this pretty good or would I be better off with another LP or something? Any suggestions?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Kly posted:

I learned to play CK2 reading Capn Andy's tutorial LP. Are the in-game tutorials in this pretty good or would I be better off with another LP or something? Any suggestions?

Arumba's tutorial series on Youtube. The in game tutorial is very bad. Although I haven;t tried that new Jimena learning game.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Just finished my first post-AoW game (as Malaya, since I have a soft spot for playing as naval/trade powers). In the end I was rolling in cash and was second only to Portugal in pretty much everything. Portugal had an early PU and inheritance of England, so they were an unstoppable juggernaut for most of the game until I westernized and started challenging them.

I was also dumb and left Lucky Nations turned on.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
Wow, they really turned up the steppe horde negative events. I'm getting pretenders and slapped with -15 legitimacy every single month now. Is this really WAD?

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Oh comet event :allears:

There is one thing I am not liking with the war changes, and it is this

I am taking Adal, a country of one, and they are allied to some guy half way down Africa, Its a few sea tiles outside my ship attrition limit and they do have a larger navy than me....But really? I can't peace them out and they are counted to the total power strength of Adal.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
For gently caress's sake, Paradox, turn off fire values for generals in the early game. No one likes spending 600 military power before they roll a general with even a single pip in shock.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Dibujante posted:

For gently caress's sake, Paradox, turn off fire values for generals in the early game. No one likes spending 600 military power before they roll a general with even a single pip in shock.

aren't fire values just as useful early as late, since they're additive (to unit pips), not multiplicative?

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

PleasingFungus posted:

aren't fire values just as useful early as late, since they're additive (to unit pips), not multiplicative?

Not entirely. They add to the unit pips, but then (I believe) the whole thing gets multiplied by the fire modifier. You have 0.25 infantry fire modifier until tech 7 (and honestly, you don't get 1.00 infantry fire until tech 14), so what happens is that army A, with a 0 fire general, gets 0.25x0=0 fire. Army B, with a 6 fire general, gets 0.25x6=1.5. That's... something, but then along comes army C with 6 shock and then you're staring down the barrel of a lot more. By tech 2, that's +3 shock. By tech 6, infantry are at almost 1.00 shock. And that's not even counting cavalry, who don't get their first fire value until tech 11, but have 2 shock (therefore, 12 shock with that general) by tech 8.

So basically fire is laughably inferior to shock until around tech 14. Generals should not roll fire until that point. Especially monarch generals. There's nothing worse than a 6-fire king general in 1480. Like seriously, how is he even good at firearms? They're not standard-issue yet! That's like rolling 6 in helicopters.

Vequeth
Jul 12, 2008
In the process of updating the OP for the new DLC with LE. The Hundred Years War and Byzantium guides seem a bit dated, would anyone like to have a go at re-writing current strategies for those starts?

Or any other nation that has a really tough start for that matter!

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Dibujante posted:

That's like rolling 6 in helicopters.

Well, da Vinci had to get his funding from SOMEWHERE. :v:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Here with more details is Bob Hale with the Europa Universalis report.

Poil fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Nov 2, 2014

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Loving all the new events so far, this is by far the best EUIV expansion to date.

Rev. France also formed for some reason even though it's still a feudal monarchy, they also own Norway.

Edit:

:allears:

Vichan fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Nov 2, 2014

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
I'm loving the TO in AoW. They're like a Brandenburg light but with religious overtones. Bonuses to discipline and cavalry and infantry damage with increased missionary strength and lowered unrest. Once you make it out of your early precarious position you're in a good position to expand.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Vichan posted:

Rev. France also formed for some reason even though it's still a feudal monarchy, they also own Norway.

Edit:

:allears:

Is there no minimum tech requirement for revolutions to happen?

Also none happened in Europe during my Malaya game, I was sad.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Man the quality of life fixes in this patch are incredible. Haven't really got into the meat of the paid content just yet, but I have one semi minor gripe. The AI, is even dumber than it was before which is incredibly frustrating when you are relying on aI partners to pull their weight.

To cite 2 separate examples, in one game as Brandenburg I was at war with Pomerania for the mission claim and Bohemia sat in the target for months as the siege leader, and then I moved back to my capital to see if the AI will do the new thing where the transfer control. Instead they just gave up the siege and took their troops back to Bohemia.

An even more glaring example in my Novgorod game, I supported the independence of Sweden and committed my troops. I parked them in Swedish territory to see what the AI would do. Denmark moved their troops to attack me with numbers and the Swedish stack in their next province over did nothing to join me, and would have turned the tide of an extremely decisive battle had they bothered. No prob, I whipped up a merc army I was saving for Muscovy (I figured Sweden ally was more valuable) and brought them over and attached to Sweden. This time they left me sieging something and abandoned me to the Danish army while they kept trying to cross back into Finland for some reason. I assume that the AI leaving me to siege was giving me instruction or something because I couldn't move at all.

Lesson learned, really with relying on the AI for anything more than meat-shields to sap enemy manpower and nothing else.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Man the quality of life fixes in this patch are incredible. Haven't really got into the meat of the paid content just yet, but I have one semi minor gripe. The AI, is even dumber than it was before which is incredibly frustrating when you are relying on aI partners to pull their weight.

To cite 2 separate examples, in one game as Brandenburg I was at war with Pomerania for the mission claim and Bohemia sat in the target for months as the siege leader, and then I moved back to my capital to see if the AI will do the new thing where the transfer control. Instead they just gave up the siege and took their troops back to Bohemia.

An even more glaring example in my Novgorod game, I supported the independence of Sweden and committed my troops. I parked them in Swedish territory to see what the AI would do. Denmark moved their troops to attack me with numbers and the Swedish stack in their next province over did nothing to join me, and would have turned the tide of an extremely decisive battle had they bothered. No prob, I whipped up a merc army I was saving for Muscovy (I figured Sweden ally was more valuable) and brought them over and attached to Sweden. This time they left me sieging something and abandoned me to the Danish army while they kept trying to cross back into Finland for some reason. I assume that the AI leaving me to siege was giving me instruction or something because I couldn't move at all.

Lesson learned, really with relying on the AI for anything more than meat-shields to sap enemy manpower and nothing else.

Telling the AI to prioritize a province seems to help, sometimes.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
How do I tell my allies / vassals what to do? That was a feature right? Can't find it..

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I'm in love with the ability to upgrade fleets.

How does the army template thing work? I can't find it anywhere.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Drone posted:

I'm in love with the ability to upgrade fleets.

How does the army template thing work? I can't find it anywhere.

It's in the build menu below mercs .Be warned, it's loving worthless as the army gets built in a single province. That means that an army of about 10k will take 3 years to build...not really super useful in a pinch.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Knuc U Kinte posted:

It's in the build menu below mercs .Be warned, it's loving worthless as the army gets built in a single province. That means that an army of about 10k will take 3 years to build...not really super useful in a pinch.

You can tell it how it how many provinces it is allowed to use and it will then build in multiple provinces and move them all to one province when they're done.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

MrBling posted:

You can tell it how it how many provinces it is allowed to use and it will then build in multiple provinces and move them all to one province when they're done.

Oh my God. I asked in this thread today if you could do that and noone said anything.

edit: someone did, but I must have missed it.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
My problem with the army template is that it doesn't seem to favour provinces with army cost discount. I've built up three neighbouring provinces with army buildings and the last production building, but if I set the army builder to three provinces and click the middle province it will only use two of them and another without any relevant buildings. If I click one of the outer provinces it will only use that province and not the other two.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Oh my God. I asked in this thread today if you could do that and noone said anything.

edit: someone did, but I must have missed it.

Actually...

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3606000&pagenumber=249&perpage=40#post437120336

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Ethiopia new events are great, I used the Aid from the west tech bonus to boost myself to musket Africans and went on the offensive while the morale + discipline bonus was still going. I conquered lands I lost to the mamluks and more, that small chain event Ethiopia and manluks trade between each other is some nice flaour text, and the castle full of pretender heirs

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
The Ethiopia-Portugal events are not new, but still funny.

We are alone :smith:

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

The cycle is broken!

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Dibujante posted:

So basically fire is laughably inferior to shock until around tech 14. Generals should not roll fire until that point. Especially monarch generals. There's nothing worse than a 6-fire king general in 1480. Like seriously, how is he even good at firearms? They're not standard-issue yet! That's like rolling 6 in helicopters.

Which is why archer units should be represented with fire imo.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

sauer kraut posted:

The Ethiopia-Portugal events are not new, but still funny.

We are alone :smith:

Well I guess before art of war they never last long enough for the event to fire, them having the muslim tech group really changed them up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Huh. I'm not sure if this was always in, but I just had a pretender rise up in, like, Borneo and I was in a war so no way was I dealing with him. So he sieged down whatever crappy province he was in, and then a little ticking bar started. When it finished, he teleported to the capitol, where I immediately destroyed his stack. That's handy!

On the other hand, I've had a lot of experiences where rebels will be somehow friendly with the country they're in. Two stacks of Bornean Patriots coexisted happily with Brunei, until I annexed Brunei and they immediately started sieging. Who knows.

• Locked thread