Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

In a video game I play we'd call that sticking the landing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
We're having our first* snow of the season here in Calgary, and while I think that driving slower according to the conditions is prudent, it's possible for there to be too much of a good thing. Like driving 20 km/h down a 50 km/h-limit downtown street with no accumulation. If you're that scared about driving when it's snowing, or your car is not equipped to go faster than that safely, you should probably just stay off the roads.

* Well, the first snowfall since that bastard storm that hit at the beginning of September.

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

OH DEAR GOD THERE'S FROZEN WATER, THIS IS UNPRECEDENTED! :byodood:

Substitute snow for rain in the PNW, idk why the gently caress people drive like an elderly person steering with their knees at the first moderate rain. And everyone with a grey/silver car is determined to leave their lights off. :argh:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

PT6A posted:

We're having our first* snow of the season here in Calgary, and while I think that driving slower according to the conditions is prudent, it's possible for there to be too much of a good thing. Like driving 20 km/h down a 50 km/h-limit downtown street with no accumulation. If you're that scared about driving when it's snowing, or your car is not equipped to go faster than that safely, you should probably just stay off the roads.

* Well, the first snowfall since that bastard storm that hit at the beginning of September.

I think this is just a thing that happens annually in places that have winter weather. I know every year around mid to late November it's like almost every driver on the road is just visiting from Florida and has never seen accumulated snow outside of a picture.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Nailed it.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Bad weather is never a problem for drivers here in VT because everyone drives 10mph under the limit all year round anyway.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

PT6A posted:

It's a little different from our usual first-snows, this fat bastard is slushy (I had to do a powerslide on my own driveway to pull into the garage straight today on studded winters). That said, 30 under anywhere should probably be death penalty.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Bad weather is never a problem for drivers here in VT because everyone drives 10mph under the limit all year round anyway.

Don't they have a deer problem there?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Seat Safety Switch posted:

That said, 30 under anywhere should probably be death penalty.

I've definitely seen rain- and snow-storms where it would not be safe to go 80 in a 110-km/h zone, or 70 in a 100 zone, but 99% of the time you're correct.

Strabo4 posted:

And everyone with a grey/silver car is determined to leave their lights off. :argh:

Based on the number of people who do this, and also the number of people who fail to turn their lights on at night, I can only surmise that a decent portion of drivers believe an evil gremlin lives in their dashboard, and it might become disturbed and attack them if they move the headlight switch in any way.

GrantC
Nov 1, 2011

Read the friggin rulebook before you build your "racecar", stupid ricer.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I had to do a powerslide on my own driveway to pull into the garage straight today on studded winters

Hrm...

I think I figured out your tire wear problem...

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Not studded, but I wish I could use my altimax artics from last year. The problem is this is what they look like on my winter car:

I didn't even bother putting weight in the trunk of a rwd v8 when I used them, and I live in Buffalo. It was like I was on rails.

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date

Cage posted:

Not studded, but I wish I could use my altimax artics from last year. The problem is this is what they look like on my winter car:

I didn't even bother putting weight in the trunk of a rwd v8 when I used them, and I live in Buffalo. It was like I was on rails.

The fiancee just took a job in Buffalo! We're moving out there soon! I have Michelin X-Ice's for her Prius, non studded. Should be fine for city streets, no?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I never used the Michelins but just the fact that they're winter/snow tires means you'll be fine.

And, sorry. :( You picked a pretty terrible time to come to Buffalo but if you want to go eat some chicken wings sometime let me know.

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date

Cage posted:

I never used the Michelins but just the fact that they're winter/snow tires means you'll be fine.

And, sorry. :( You picked a pretty terrible time to come to Buffalo but if you want to go eat some chicken wings sometime let me know.

We're both vegetarians but i'll take you up on a falafel once i'm settled.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Last night on 76 through Philly, guy behind me had his high beams on, guy in front of me had no lights on.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

Last night on 76 through Philly, guy behind me had his high beams on, guy in front of me had no lights on.

So on average there is no problem!

Confessions:

On trips I drive with earbuds in to listen to music. Technically a no-no but the roads are soooo boooooooring. No hills, pretty much all straight lines, maybe a car every 1/2 hour or so. No ambulance is sneaking up on me out there.

Also when I'm driving the Niva I don't, or rather can't use the side mirrors. They are tiny, flop if someone looks at them funny and just generally useless. On the bright side there are no real blind spots. It's really quite great for visibility. It's the only reason I haven't been all "OHHH poo poo!!! I'M GONNA DIE" with them like I have with other cars if they got broken or whatever.

I also caused issues on a recent trip to a place which I'm sure had a traffic engineer who was a sadist or something. Sorry, people of Albury / Wodonga. But you have some really hosed up intersection designs which I'm sure I will see nowhere else, ever. At least I didn't actually run into any one... although I did come close a few times. And also buzzed blocks like a blowfly because which lane for what direction wasn't visible until it was time to go straight / turn.
A trip of angry yelling and swearing.

dpidz0r
Jul 29, 2012
Speaking of side mirrors, people who can't adjust their side mirrors properly piss me off. For example, this guy I noticed while stopped in traffic:

You can see most of his head in the drivers side mirror, and the camera angle is from the center of my car. Side mirrors are for looking at the sides, not backups for the center mirror :(

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

A Melted Tarp posted:

The fiancee just took a job in Buffalo! We're moving out there soon! I have Michelin X-Ice's for her Prius, non studded. Should be fine for city streets, no?

When I lived in Rochester, I got along fine with all-seasons on my Hyundai because they were always really loving prompt about plowing the streets. Only had a few really snowy trips home from the lab late at night, stuck to about 25 and did fine.

Back home in Washington... When we got heavy snow, it'd be a week before the plows got everywhere. Total nightmare.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Cage posted:

My XJ on winterforces with a 25" rolling diameter (factory was 28.5" tires, and they look better with 30-31" rubber) looked comical but I can't argue with the results.

It towed like a beast with those too. :haw:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Winter tires are the best, and anyone who drives in winter without having them is quite probably "one of those people you share the road with." I was one of those people for a time. I feel like a moron now, knowing I feel way safer and more in control in a RWD on winters than in a 4WD on good all-seasons.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

PT6A posted:

Winter tires are the best, and anyone who drives in winter without having them is quite probably "one of those people you share the road with." I was one of those people for a time. I feel like a moron now, knowing I feel way safer and more in control in a RWD on winters than in a 4WD on good all-seasons.

I wish there was a workable way to get everyone to use winter tires in the northeast US. In 2008, Quebec passed a law that drivers are required to use winter tires. Probably would never fly in the US.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I've seen a car with the license plate "0000PS" a few times now. They drive fine, but I keep imagining the accident report if they ever got into a wreck.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

waffle iron posted:

I wish there was a workable way to get everyone to use winter tires in the northeast US. In 2008, Quebec passed a law that drivers are required to use winter tires. Probably would never fly in the US.

Its so good to. We dropped the money on winters for the Venza, and I'm going to drop the money for them on my Tundra. About $2k with rims, but gently caress not having them. I was amazed how much of a difference it made in the wife's old Highlander. Its a law that 100% saves lives, and also really lowers accident rates.

In Manitoba, MPI (public insurance board) is offering financing added onto your regular insurance to pay for them, at prime plus 2, which ain't bad. Makes me miss Manitoba :/

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Winters are for black steelies. Anything else and you're just showing off. :colbert:

I wish I had winter rims

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

a primate posted:

Winters are for black steelies. Anything else and you're just showing off. :colbert:

I wish I had winter rims

US Wheel white was the standard winter rim back when I lived in Alaska, those totally generic ones with 8 spokes and the red and blue pin stripe on the rim.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

waffle iron posted:

Not sure that everyone has the space to store another set of tires.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

FogHelmut posted:

Sure you do, just shove em under your bed. I have my winter wheels in my closet and another set of tires I'm trying to get rid of under my bed.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

FogHelmut posted:

Not sure that every single mom driving a 19 year old corolla to a couple minimum wage part-time jobs can afford those used snowtires with about 40% tread left on 'em.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

dee eight posted:

Not sure that every single mom driving a 19 year old corolla to a couple minimum wage part-time jobs can afford those used snowtires with about 40% tread left on 'em.

We've got Obamaphones, why not Obamawintertires?? It's a public health issue.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
Parking is hard.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
gently caress you, little old lady in a PT Cruiser pulling a u-turn in front of a ton of traffic (and a FedEx semi) doing 45 mph, causing a dozen cars to slam on their brakes.

FedEx guy rode her rear end HARD after that.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Uthor posted:

gently caress you, little anyone in a PT Cruiser

I used to think of minivan and prius drivers as being dicks, but I literally cannot remember any interaction with a PT cruiser that was positive.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
The only exception to that is the laugh I had at the PT Cruiser with the plate "PTLOSER"

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Geirskogul posted:

I used to think of minivan and prius drivers as being dicks, but I literally cannot remember any interaction with a PT cruiser that was positive.

At least there's a passable reason for owning a Prius or a minivan. Not so with the PT Cruiser. They look like rear end, they drive like rear end, and they have horrid fuel economy. Is it, then, any wonder that they're all driven by complete morons?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

PT6A posted:

At least there's a passable reason for owning a Prius or a minivan. Not so with the PT Cruiser. They look like rear end, they drive like rear end, and they have horrid fuel economy. Is it, then, any wonder that they're all driven by complete morons?

Is it bad that I have for a long time really wanted to do a PT Cruiser convertible with the wood panel crap and all the standard Autozone stick-on bits, but with a built SRT-4 drivetrain underneath? They're basically Neons underneath so in theory that should be practically bolt in.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

The Midniter posted:

We've got Obamaphones, why not Obamawintertires?? It's a public health issue.

Adding this plank to my platform.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

wolrah posted:

Is it bad that I have for a long time really wanted to do a PT Cruiser convertible with the wood panel crap and all the standard Autozone stick-on bits, but with a built SRT-4 drivetrain underneath? They're basically Neons underneath so in theory that should be practically bolt in.

Yes. That is bad, and you should feel bad.

You'd be the automotive version of a hipster, and that's not something anyone should aspire to.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

wolrah posted:

Only if you recreate this scene with it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

PT6A posted:

You'd be the automotive version of a hipster, and that's not something anyone should aspire to.

What the gently caress am I then?

Bad at cars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

PT6A posted:

Wouldn't the hipster drive the PT Cruiser as-is "ironically" or whatever? I see it as more of a sleeper, basically the small FWD equivalent of a Roadmaster Wagon with an LS swap. I used to want to do a first-gen Caravan with the Shelby Daytona motor, but the time where those shells were cheap and plentiful has long since passed in road salt country so the PT+SRT4 combo is basically the more readily available equivalent.

I'd still do it with the van too, but given the chassis similarity I assume the PT would be a lot easier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78InPT4iqlw

xergm posted:

Only if you recreate this scene with it.

Is there anything else a stupidly powerful PT Cruiser would be good for? I'm pretty sure they've got a beam axle out back so that + convertible has to = hilarious handling so it's probably best kept in a roughly straight line.