Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Culka posted:

Next patch is going to hit soon (in a few days?), with 2 new nations: MA Nazca and EA/MA/LA Xibalba.

http://www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/dominions-update-414-coming-soon

Also some event modding stuff for those interested in it.

Finally some event-modding! I guess this means I'll don't have to make creepy super-units/starting sites to modify my mod-nations anymore. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

they've already been elaborated on. nazca is a MA nation specifically where caelians have run into mictlan people and a nation based on worship of them formed. also has some stuff about their dead being mummified.

xibalba spans every age and is focused on little bat people that live in the caves that the sun used to travel through at night. basic premise is that starting at EA the sun no longer goes through there and they want to find out why/want to take it back for their own and will have a nation-specific spell just for doing that.

Apparently MA has flooded caves because of drunk aliens crashing their city into the sea.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
New nations are always fun! I'm excited to see what we get!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That is... actually pretty reasonable for mythology. Replace alien with god and you could see that being a legit "lost civilization that sank into the sea" thing.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Nah it's aliens. It's R'lyeh, the "lifted straight from D&D" nation.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

scalded schlong posted:

Nah it's aliens. It's R'lyeh, the "lifted straight from D&D" nation.

Just the illithids and aboleths. The rest of the nation is Lovecraft inspired.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, but I mean in real life. Plenty of mythologies have "gods got drunk and bad poo poo happened" stories. This would just feature drunken foreign gods rather than local.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Just the illithids and aboleths. The rest of the nation is Lovecraft inspired.

And Illithids and Aboleths are themselves Lovecraft inspired so it's all really Lovecraft in the end.

That said if some other Illithids crashed into Xibalba as well I am beginning to wonder just how many goddamn spaceships they have. The 'Falling Star' they crashed into R'lyeh was the first, now they've crashed another one into Xibalba. Maybe the one that crashed into Xibalba was part of the Falling Star.
That said the Illithids are clearly terrible pilots and someone needs to take their spaceships away.

Nazca is based off the Incas and is apparently a nation of mans and caelians ruled by ancient blinged out mummy councils; the mummies are so blinged out that they even have upkeep, such decadence!

Grytorm
Jul 8, 2013
Are there any Minoan themed civilizations? I don't think so. It would be interesting if they created an underwater nation themed off of them or added some of that to EA Pelagia. And made MA Pelagia having absorbed the remnants of Bertyos. Mostly I think the Minoans would be awesome because they have cool pottery. They even had a period where they favored sea themed decoration on their pottery.

Also sometimes it annoys me that some pretenders are arbitrarily worse than others. Why does the Golden Idol have only one miscellaneous slot and cost 20 more than the statues? It provides similar magic and utility. I found this out while playing around with a potential build for Bertyos, a major Earth Bless with useful blood cross paths.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Earth + Blood is a fairly rare crosspath that gives access to some very powerful spells and items, so it usually goes for a bit of a premium.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
It's been almost a week now and Ill try cross posting in here. TarSwallot is still down.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Grytorm posted:

Are there any Minoan themed civilizations? I don't think so. It would be interesting if they created an underwater nation themed off of them or added some of that to EA Pelagia. And made MA Pelagia having absorbed the remnants of Bertyos. Mostly I think the Minoans would be awesome because they have cool pottery. They even had a period where they favored sea themed decoration on their pottery.

Also sometimes it annoys me that some pretenders are arbitrarily worse than others. Why does the Golden Idol have only one miscellaneous slot and cost 20 more than the statues? It provides similar magic and utility. I found this out while playing around with a potential build for Bertyos, a major Earth Bless with useful blood cross paths.

I'm hoping Illwinter does touch on some of those elements for the UW nations. They added considerably more Zoroastrian stuff to the Caelums, so it would be pretty neat if they get a Minoan or Polynesian influence.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Grytorm posted:

Also sometimes it annoys me that some pretenders are arbitrarily worse than others.

Balance is a foreign concept to illwinter, see: all the human mage pretender chassis, every mictlan pretender

Torgon
Nov 1, 2014
Is there any way to change the user name on my goon game service account? My user name on there is Ecanus and I'd like to just standardize all of them to Torgon.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Another day in Turkish Delight, another massacre.

Skelespam < Elespam

This is what happens if you're too cheap to use gems. Don't fall into this trap! Stay smart, spam smart.

(But don't worry about what happens to Neruz here, he still has 2-3 similar armies in the field. And he only lost a small fraction of his mages. :shepface:)

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Libluini posted:

(But don't worry about what happens to Neruz here, he still has 2-3 similar armies in the field. And he only lost a small fraction of his mages. :shepface:)

That's about one turn's worth of mage recruitment.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Neruz posted:

That's about one turn's worth of mage recruitment.

If you make sure all your forts stay patrolled, yes.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Libluini posted:

If you make sure all your forts stay patrolled, yes.

I can only afford to build mages from about half of my forts. I think you are vastly underestimating just how unwieldy loving huge C'tis is.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

therewasareallygoodnamehere

Imma go AI, there's nothing I can do to stop Agartha's momentum at this point

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Neruz posted:

I can only afford to build mages from about half of my forts. I think you are vastly underestimating just how unwieldy loving huge C'tis is.

My global caster was walking all over your eastern half and my astral mages have been spying around in your western half. Together with all those half-dead scouts all over the place, I really do know how loving huge C'tis is. Which is why I hope someone takes over Vanheim at least, because then my southern ally can do more then just feeding you new provinces.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
It is a genuine pain in the rear end to manage, I have goddamn death scales and I'm pulling in over 6k gold per turn :wtc:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know any good (as in documented, not for linux autists, not a scam, usable in Windows 7) file converters to get .wav or .mp3 files to 22050Hz mono a-Law with an .al ending?

Trying to do some sound modding but it's a total loving wasteland out there.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

jBrereton posted:

Does anyone know any good (as in documented, not for linux autists, not a scam, usable in Windows 7) file converters to get .wav or .mp3 files to 22050Hz mono a-Law with an .al ending?

Trying to do some sound modding but it's a total loving wasteland out there.

Audacity won't do it? Try export, save as other uncompressed files, several of those formats can handle a-law. Try raw for the header. You're not going to find a neat converter for "some idiot threw barely encoded audio in a flat file".

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Nov 2, 2014

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

dis astranagant posted:

Audacity won't do it? Try export, save as other uncompressed files, several of those formats can handle a-law. Try raw for the header.
That worked!

But it mangled the sample, time to work out how to make this all better.

e: I think the more of a thing there are, the louder it repeats and the deeper it is, maybe? Complete loving nightmare in any case.

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Nov 2, 2014

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Flavahbeast posted:

therewasareallygoodnamehere

Imma go AI, there's nothing I can do to stop Agartha's momentum at this point

Hooray the coalition worked. Seeing as im tiny and have a stupid as gently caress build im going to tap out as well, Congrats Shachar!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Edirr (mod/tester) says

quote:

The flying raiders never being caught is an out and out bug and most definitely not working as designed. There is nothing to debate there.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Turin Turambar posted:

Edirr (mod/tester) says

Was this really ever in question? Even Illwinter knows literally untouchable raiders is some garbage retard poo poo.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I think the thing to question here would be that, judging by what he said, some people were trying to debate that it wasn't broken. Somehow. :psyduck:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

:stonk:

(Asphodel won)

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Neruz posted:

:stonk:

(Asphodel won)

foul vapors/doom/bone grinding?

Kitfox88 posted:

Was this really ever in question? Even Illwinter knows literally untouchable raiders is some garbage retard poo poo.

Well, the explicit confirmation makes a fix for the bug more probable, maybe with the next patch. I'm optimistic.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Turin Turambar posted:

Rigor Mortis and sheer weight of manikins. I'd actually call it a pyrric victory but manikin are free and thaumaturgs are not so now I can just bring up my mage balls and some more manikin and finish him off.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Neruz posted:

Rigor Mortis and sheer weight of manikins. I'd actually call it a pyrric victory but manikin are free and thaumaturgs are not so now I can just bring up my mage balls and some more manikin and finish him off.

Hah, I was asking what Sceleria casted with that many mages (in communion I suppose), not what Asphodel casted :P. Spamming more skellis? I know the Asphodel freespawn is that, free and weak, so I suppose the amount isn't a good indicator of strength, but Sceleria protective wall was also cheap (200 low level undeads), so it doesn't surprise me in the end the bigger numbers won. Maybe with Fire storm/earthquake it would have been the other way around, but those aren't thaumaturg spells.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Oh, he casted Solar Brilliance, Storm and Wrathful Skies with his Oracle, I don't think the Thaumaturgs casted anything other than Nether Darts and Horde of Skeletons.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
So, it looks like I'm gone from the draft game, soon. Welp, it was fun, but planning errors and lovely income did me in.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Libluini posted:

So, it looks like I'm gone from the draft game, soon. Welp, it was fun, but planning errors and lovely income did me in.

Also you were stuck next to a lake while fighting a sailing nation. Your cap was only 2 turns from mine via boat.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Also you were stuck next to a lake while fighting a sailing nation. Your cap was only 2 turns from mine via boat.

Oh my, I never noticed that! I just assumed Jags were not only super-strong, but also super-fast. :v:

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
While Scleria and Asphodel duke it out, plucky little C'tis is chugging along with a cap population of less than 8000 now.

The Gentleman
Jun 21, 2012
Whatever happens in MidLife crisis I gotta give Hatwer some recognition for being the hardest person to kill ever. Ceaseless grinding down of undead armies expended the resources of my entire Ulmish nation, even when I had more or less won I had lost too much in the war.

Scelaria, the graveyard of Empires :smithcloud:

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

The Gentleman posted:

Scelaria, the graveyard of Empires

C'tis, garbage disposal of High Seraphs

Edit:

GenericOverusedName posted:

While Scleria and Asphodel duke it out, plucky little C'tis is chugging along with a cap population of less than 8000 now.

Flame112 fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Nov 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...

Turin Turambar posted:

You wouldn't want to foul vapors Asphodel using a bunch of regular human mages. If he had used Foul Vapors, it probably would have helped him quite a bit, though.

I used the following spells in that fight:
  • Solar Brilliance (kill some undead, hopefully blind some carrion bows/mages)
  • Storm (prep for Wrathful skies, make carrion bows less accurate again)
  • Wrathful Skies (kill lots of undead)
  • Quagmire (slow down the tide)
  • Antimagic (protect my undead and mages)
  • Unraveling (Aspho freespawn are magic, Skeletons are not. All my mages had like 20+ MR so I wasn't worried)
  • Life After Death (my only answers to Foul Vapors/passive mage kills. Unfortunately it's not a total solution: when the mages come back as undead mages, they have terrible MR and would then die to my own Solar Brilliance. But 2-3 more turns of mages is better than none)
  • Horde of Skeletons (chaff!)
  • Nether Darts (Nether darts Feeblemind's huge areas, which even against mindless freespawn still reduces their MR by 5. This makes stuff like Unraveling, Solar Brilliance and Banishment more successful)
Unfortunately my chaff ran out before the last guys died and they reached my communion. Losing sucks, but it was (almost) my last stand after being pushed back to being a 6 province nation for a long time after getting dogpiled.

I think this probably cost Neruz the game, however. When it's just him and a giant lategame blood power left, he just threw away a lot of momentum by engaging a tiny stubborn dying player. I probably could have been killed by a domkill or remote attacks (since all my mages were in one spot). Several big nations just AI'd, and that Aspho stack could have gobbled up a lot of territory or broken open some forted thrones. Now Neruz has to waste a lot of time bringing a second army to my cap to finish this up since I have enough Thaums to probably recall my god in time for another costly defense.

The moral of the story is: Don't AI! Maybe you can cause your attackers some grief, and at the worst, you get to play around with some battle magic on your research stack.

• Locked thread