Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Literally Kermit posted:

Glorious Scandinavia (and Iceland and Finland)

The Nordics! :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

When I read that comic I keep thinking that im reading someones D&D homebrew campaign. And I am okay with that.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

Grantaire posted:

Speaking of webcomics and things that are gay as gently caress (also straight as gently caress depending on who you're asking), MANCALENDAR was featured on Comics Alliance!

Lots of goon creators are involved, including bigbigtruck, Skratte, Kismet, Tank!, myself, and moooore!

If you like calendars and webcomics and cute dudes, 9 out of 10 dentists recommend MANCALENDAR.

Preorders are open until October 31st!

MANCALENDAR is brought to you by Countershot Press and made possible by Viewers Like You.

I'm just going to quote Grantaire's effortpost again, since some of you might wanna know there are only 12 hours left to preorder calendars! Preorders are the only way to to be sure we print enough for everybody, and the only way to guarantee pre-christmas shipping, so get on it if you or your buddies are interested.

All profits are being split twelve ways between the artists -- and now that we've met our print costs, every extra calendar we sell goes straight to paying contributors. Plus, honestly, you're essentially getting 12 exclusive prints for $20 + shipping. If you're into any or all of the comics involved, do slope over and reserve yourself a Mancalendar. (deadline: 23:59 PST, TONIGHT)

In other news, happy halloween, thread. :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: Thanks for all the great recommendations lately.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Lackadaisy has a special Halloween Update for those as might be interested in such things:

http://lackadaisy.foxprints.com/exhibit.php?exhibitid=420

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
Those who remember Helvetica, the comic about skeletons drinking milkshakes and trying to figure out their previous lives, it is back after over a year of absence.

http://helvetica.jnwiedle.com/2014/10/31/im-out-of-here/

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.

Yak of Wrath posted:

Those who remember Helvetica, the comic about skeletons drinking milkshakes and trying to figure out their previous lives, it is back after over a year of absence.

http://helvetica.jnwiedle.com/2014/10/31/im-out-of-here/
Good for her for getting her tablet back and finishing all the work she offered to Hussie. She's come a long way.

Hey, is there anyway to make a live bookmark or whatever for comics that lack RSS feeds? Something for things like Candi.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

ElTipejoLoco posted:

Hey, is there anyway to make a live bookmark or whatever for comics that lack RSS feeds? Something for things like Candi.

Wait, Candi 1) still exists and 2) has people who follow it regularly? Like... why?

Not trying to start another shitstorm here, from what I remember it's pretty inoffensive so I don't think it's worth getting worked up over. I'm just genuinely curious.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Wow, there's like, DD levels of artistic stagnation going on there. :eyepop:

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

ElTipejoLoco posted:

Good for her for getting her tablet back and finishing all the work she offered to Hussie. She's come a long way.

This website lets you RSS almost anything:
http://page2rss.com/

It tends to pick up any changes to the website so it's not quite as nice as actual hosted RSS but it is an okay workaround if the site owner doesn't have one.

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.

Gabriel Pope posted:

Wait, Candi 1) still exists and 2) has people who follow it regularly? Like... why?
It's Questionable Content, but instead of rude robots and a cussing bird it's got evil squirrels and a magic telepathic ferret?
(What I'm saying is that there's no real good reason that would convince people either way.)

Thanks for the Page2RSS link Rexxed, looks like it sorta works on it.

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS

The Lord of Hats posted:

Kill Six Billion Pumpkins

Definitely not the best pumpkin I've done, but hey, I tried v:shobon:v

Awwwww yesss

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

ElTipejoLoco posted:

Comic Rocket has always been good to me, although there's the odd comic that confuses it, like Ava's Demon. Definitely worth using though.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Rexxed posted:

This website lets you RSS almost anything:
http://page2rss.com/

It tends to pick up any changes to the website so it's not quite as nice as actual hosted RSS but it is an okay workaround if the site owner doesn't have one.

I prefer Feed43. You can actually make a proper feed with pictures and poo poo.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

idonotlikepeas posted:

Lackadaisy has a special Halloween Update for those as might be interested in such things:

http://lackadaisy.foxprints.com/exhibit.php?exhibitid=420

Oh man, this is fantastic. Viktor is The Best Thing.

ElTipejoLoco posted:

Holy poo poo, I know comics have their own timelines and all, but I remember giving up on this comic in high school, and the main character is still a sophomore in college? God drat!

mooncity
Feb 15, 2014

You're so wet Cyntia. I cannot possibly describe how wet you are.

Captain Bravo posted:

Oh man, this is fantastic. Viktor is The Best Thing.

Holy poo poo, I know comics have their own timelines and all, but I remember giving up on this comic in high school, and the main character is still a sophomore in college? God drat!

Yup, just entered her sophomore year. This is one of the comics I still read. I don't know why, really. I keep meaning to rant about it in the other thread, but have not gotten around to it yet. Hate the magic ferrets, it's like they're from a whole different comic. I like the squirrels, but they too seem to belong in a completely different comic. The Sexy Police are pure anime constructs. She's been making Candi for a decade now, and I get the feeling that many of these things are just leftovers from a time before she fully grew up, like when she was 18 or something. Biggest complaint is just how lazy Starline can be sometimes. I know she can draw, and draw well, but if you look at the comic you'll see a lot of sloppy work she just cranked out. A minor quibble is her random misuse of the capital "i" in the text which also betrays a quick, slapdash, lazy approach. The comic must have something going for it because I still read it, but I couldn't tell you what that was.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

mooncity posted:

The comic must have something going for it because I still read it, but I couldn't tell you what that was.

As someone in the same position, I suspect it's just another one of those comics that is never offensive or boring enough to make you consider dropping it.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I used to check in occasionally to see what was up, mostly to see if these infuriating assholes/impossible children had gotten over themselves/each other yet. They never did.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Renaissance Robot posted:

I used to check in occasionally to see what was up, mostly to see if these infuriating assholes/impossible children had gotten over themselves/each other yet. They never did.

You'll have to be more specific, that statement could apply to any number of long-running webcomics. :v:

Starline is a nice person, but I haven't caught up with Candi in ages.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
Candi is in my "read out of sheer momentum" bucket, when it comes to webcomics. I rather like character-driven interactions and such (I was a fan of Avalon while it was going on, for instance), and that's what attracted me at first to Candi. Though at this point, it doesn't feel like any of the characters have actually changed, and the ferrets/squirrels make no sense, and the plot's gotten pretty dumb...

Yep, sheer momentum. It's on the chopping block the next time I cull my list.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
hah, that reminded me of the chopping block, and looks like it is still updating

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Son of a bitch. Kiwi Blitz isn't going to get any less messy any time soon, huh.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
I know it's a terrible meme, but I can't not see Nigel Thornberry teeth in the IWYTFTP this week.

"MY GIRLFRIEND. HNYAH."

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Welp, everyone who was worried John Allison was going to quit Bad Machinery was right.

quote:

Goodbye, Bad Machinery

After a couple of months of thinking about it, I’ve decided to conclude Bad Machinery with the Case Of The Modern Men. It feels like the right time to do it. The characters have outgrown the setting, the premise and the format. I’ve tinkered with the comic for three cases, with mixed results - a whole story of giant pages, then lots of little strips, but I’ve felt like I was in a holding pattern for the last couple of years. I don’t want to stop telling stories with these characters, but I’m not sure I can do much more with them without returning to the drawing board. There’s definitely more to come from Charlotte, Shauna and the rest of them, but you might not see much of them for a little while. With the third book released in December and five more stories to go, Oni’s beautiful print editions of Bad Machinery should continue unabated. I’m really proud of what they’ve done with my work.

Needless to say, comics won’t stop in the meantime. When Expecting To Fly ends this Friday, Bobbins will return for a run of a few months (6 or 7 days a week) while I work on the 4th Bad Machinery book and a (currently secret) print project. I came up with so many ideas creating the idiotic, fictitious “Scary Go Round universe” over the last couple of months, that I see no reason for anyone to panic any time soon. The website will probably revert back to being called “Scary Go Round” as an umbrella for all the different things I’ve been doing over the last five years.

Thanks to everyone who has supported Bad Machinery. Think of this as a Doctor Who-style regeneration in progress. Your friends will be back.

Hopefully his plans involve something besides Bobbins because those comics really haven't gripped me as much. I can find jokes about twenty/thirtysomething life in around 30 other webcomics as it is.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014
Boyfriend?!

Chumppell
Nov 9, 2007

Aaaaaah poo poo, finished his motherfuckin' bowl.

Beggar gonna rip'em a new one.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
it is ridiculous that K6BD keeps getting better at the rate it does.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

snucks posted:

it is ridiculous that K6BD keeps getting better at the rate it does.

Alt text owns.

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??

Anyone know who did this?

Edit: wait I'm an idiot, google can search by images. It's by Emma Weakley. More effective than "spooky horse short comic" was

Ruptured Yakety Sax fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Nov 7, 2014

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
God help me but I am actually reading the CAD reboot comic. It's not terrible.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Demonchat: why the gently caress are there this many actual lethal firearms in this scenario? Giving a handgun to a single guard stationed in a room with several prisoners would be terrible security protocol when dealing with human prisoners, let alone superpowered entities that become exponentially more dangerous when they have access to a method of committing suicide.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

MrFlibble posted:

God help me but I am actually reading the CAD reboot comic. It's not terrible.

CAD is actually a good comic now and it really warms my heart.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

I don't know that I would say good, but it's certainly readable. Amusing, even. Still a long ways to go.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

Words I never thought I would see in this thread.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
I'm pretty okay seeing Ethan and Lucas again, with the caveat that it better be a legit reboot and not be the same characters from before.

Seeing how they have actual for-real super powers and not flailing man-children, I'm encouraged!

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
We... we can still enjoy loss parodies right? That's all I really want.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Eldercain posted:

We... we can still enjoy loss parodies right? That's all I really want.

Only those the at the intersection of other amazing things.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I can see Loss parodies outliving CAD, not because they're always funny, but because it's become a standard unjoke format like "why did the X cross the Y" or "imagine four loss edits on the edge of a cliff..."

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Renaissance Robot posted:

I can see Loss parodies outliving CAD, not because they're always funny, but because it's become a standard unjoke format like "why did the X cross the Y" or "imagine four loss edits on the edge of a cliff..."

They're a kind of cultural currency. Someday we'll try to explain them to our children, and they won't understand at all, and the wheel keeps on turning etc.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
its stockholm syndrome pandabear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Gabriel Pope posted:

Demonchat: why the gently caress are there this many actual lethal firearms in this scenario? Giving a handgun to a single guard stationed in a room with several prisoners would be terrible security protocol when dealing with human prisoners, let alone superpowered entities that become exponentially more dangerous when they have access to a method of committing suicide.

Yeah, Hunter has hosed up here. My guess would be that the firearm dudes are the guards proper, who have been only lightly briefed on what is going on and who have insisted on being involved, while the tranq guys are OSS people. Of course the original plan is to have the advantage of surprise...

A lot of this current situation can probably be resolved if Hunter would simply just talk to Jimmy.

• Locked thread