Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.
I'm looking to buy babbies first plane, looking on marktplaats has generally been frustrating, as people seem to think that their grandpa's rusty warped #4 is still worth €100, even if it obviously has bits missing.

ToolsXL has brand new Stanley Bailey and Stanley Handyman planes. The Bailey ones being €20 more than the Handyman ones. But there seems to be no apparent difference bar the handgrip.
Is it worth spending the extra 20 on a Bailey?

Also since this is my first plane, I'm looking at a #4, but perhaps a #5 is more of an all-round unit?
I'd like to get a #4 and a #7 but my budget doesn't stretch that far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Deedle posted:

I'm looking to buy babbies first plane, looking on marktplaats has generally been frustrating, as people seem to think that their grandpa's rusty warped #4 is still worth €100, even if it obviously has bits missing.

ToolsXL has brand new Stanley Bailey and Stanley Handyman planes. The Bailey ones being €20 more than the Handyman ones. But there seems to be no apparent difference bar the handgrip.
Is it worth spending the extra 20 on a Bailey?

Also since this is my first plane, I'm looking at a #4, but perhaps a #5 is more of an all-round unit?
I'd like to get a #4 and a #7 but my budget doesn't stretch that far.

Handyman is the budget line for sure. I think I found the planes you're looking at and the handyman has a plastic adjuster wheel while the bailey is brass.

This is a tool that will last you a lifetime, so I think the extra cost is worth it and trivial in the long run. A brand-new Stanley will probably work fine once tuned up but likely not be as high-quality as the older versions. Personally I would keep looking for an older one to restore but if you really need something to get started then don't feel too bad about buying the new one. I went a similar route when starting out and got a set of Groz bench planes that I now regret buying. I was still able to get them tuned up to perform reasonably well but they lack fit and finish that make them nice to use.

#4 is a good starter and can do nearly everything you need, just take a look at some of Paul Sellers' video. After that you might want a 4 1/2, then 5, 5 1/2, and a 6 or 7.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
I'm replacing baseboard trim, and am looking for a cheap, but not terrible nailer. I'm new to the world of nailers- any suggested ones that won't break the bank? Is this the sort of thing that I should just pick up from Harbor Freight/Princess Auto?

melon cat fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Oct 23, 2014

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008

melon cat posted:

I'm replacing baseboard trim, and am looking for a cheap, but not terrible nailer. I'm new to the world of nailers- any suggested ones that won't break the bank? Is this the sort of thing that I should just pick up from Harbor Freight/Princess Auto?

If it has to be "cheap" then you probably don't have a lot of option outside of HF. Whatever you get, make sure it has a anti-marring tip.

If you can swing one of their kits that includes a brad nailer and a finish nailer i'd go with that.

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...

melon cat posted:

I got the WEN one from Amazon, it rocks

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

melon cat posted:

I'm going to start looking like a shill for these guys but:

I bought one of these: http://www.grizzly.com/products/18-Gauge-Brad-Nailer-Kit/H5527

Which was cheap, but definitely not terrible. I've put a few hundred nails through it and I would recommend it. I had one jam, but it comes with a handy tool for clearing those. If I needed a different size I'd probably check their site first.

MrPete
May 17, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

Has anyone here used a Talmeter? It's a swedish thing and people in swedish forums have been saying good things about it, looks like an interesting take on the tape measure
http://www.hultafors.com/products/about-our-products/tape-measures-with-precision/talmeter/

No but I'd like to try one out. Hope it doesn't suck cos I just spent 37 bucks on a 3 metre tape!

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe

MrPete posted:

No but I'd like to try one out. Hope it doesn't suck cos I just spent 37 bucks on a 3 metre tape!

I demand a review when you get it. That thing looks awesome for woodworking.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

captainblastum posted:

I bought one of these: http://www.grizzly.com/products/18-Gauge-Brad-Nailer-Kit/H5527

Which was cheap, but definitely not terrible. I've put a few hundred nails through it and I would recommend it. I had one jam, but it comes with a handy tool for clearing those. If I needed a different size I'd probably check their site first.

I've got an 18-gauge bostich just like that last year because I was putting in a ton of molding. Since that, I find that the number of things I stick a nail into has gone up exponentially. What was just a clamp&glue before now gets a couple brads into it.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Any opinions on this plane? It's a Stanley No.10, seller wants 15 euros for it

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan2.htm

Good source for info on Stanley planes.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Any suggestions for a miter box? I need one for doing some angled cuts on some baseboard trim (less than 4"). I saw some fancy miter boxes at Lowes (like this one, but the reviews online for them seemed mixed. I was thinking of getting this Stanley 20-800 Contractor Grade Clamping Mitre Box.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

melon cat posted:

Any suggestions for a miter box? I need one for doing some angled cuts on some baseboard trim (less than 4"). I saw some fancy miter boxes at Lowes (like this one, but the reviews online for them seemed mixed. I was thinking of getting this Stanley 20-800 Contractor Grade Clamping Mitre Box.

I got this one at home depot for cheap and it works perfectly for the needs of being straight: http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-12-in-Plastic-Miter-Box-122PMB12/204748777

Only does 45˚ and 90˚ though...

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
I've decided that I'm in the market for an air compressor. I saw a 100 PSI Campbell Hausfeld one at a local Cash Converter for $70, but I don't know anything about these machines. What features should I be looking for in an air compressor if I'm just going to be using it for inflating tires and brad nails? And is there anything wrong with buying this type of tool used?

Trabisnikof posted:

I got this one at home depot for cheap and it works perfectly for the needs of being straight: http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-12-in-Plastic-Miter-Box-122PMB12/204748777

Only does 45˚ and 90˚ though...
I guess I can go with the more simple approach. Thanks.

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...

melon cat posted:

I've decided that I'm in the market for an air compressor. I saw a 100 PSI Campbell Hausfeld one at a local Cash Converter for $70, but I don't know anything about these machines. What features should I be looking for in an air compressor if I'm just going to be using it for inflating tires and brad nails? And is there anything wrong with buying this type of tool used?

I guess I can go with the more simple approach. Thanks.

You can use 100psi for tires and brads but man its still pretty small... about 10 brads will make it kick back on, in my experience

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

dhrusis posted:

You can use 100psi for tires and brads but man its still pretty small... about 10 brads will make it kick back on, in my experience

Thanks for chiming in on that. It'd be nice to have a bit more flexibility than ~10 brads. It'd be nice to hook up an impact wrench for when I work on my car, so how much PSI/gallons should I be on the lookout for? And are there any particular brands that are known for their quality compressors?

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe

melon cat posted:

Used compressors, especially if they have been stored improperly, will have a lot of rust on the inside of the tank. In theory this could cause the tank to rupture under pressure. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVP_A7eGYxw (No deaths here but someone did get badly injured...) Long story short, don't buy an old air compressor if you don't know how it was maintained, how old it is, if it looks at all banged up or if you don't know how to judge if a tank is rusted out from the inside. It's really rare that something like that would happen but it's not one of those tools worth saving $70 to buy a 15 year old version.

As far as the size goes, me and my buddy use a 20 gallon tank because it's a pretty solid compromise between portability and usability. The big thing is the CFM though, not the actual tank size. With a good enough engine a 2 gallon tank could keep up better than a 20 gallon under powered tank. Bigger tanks just allow you to "cheat" on the engine size more. Noise is another thing I'd strongly consider if I was buying a new one because if you are running this thing indoors or inside a garage a compressor can be REALLY noisy. Like my wood planer isn't even that noisy.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

:stare:
Uhhhh my dad uses a grandpa inherited really scary looking rusted like crazy compressor. I should probably try to convince him to get a new one.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Is it possible to get replacement tanks for older compressors?

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
Yes, but it'll probably cost more than a new cheap compressor. You can also get them inspected for relatively cheap($150-200) by an air compressor maintenance place.

Or make a fixed mounting plate for your pump and motor and use several of those $40 portable tanks from HF.

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008

oxbrain posted:

Yes, but it'll probably cost more than a new cheap compressor. You can also get them inspected for relatively cheap($150-200) by an air compressor maintenance place.

That depends... The old cast iron pumps kick the poo poo out of the newer oil-less stuff IMO. Cast iron pumps aren't cheap either, so it would definitely be worth it to replace the tank as long as you have a good pump and motor.

Also, i'm fan of having at least 2 compressors in the garage. You need one 20-30 work hose for air tools and spraying applications and it's nice to have a small 2-3 gallon setup for nailers and working inside the house.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
I mean buy the cheapest compressor you can find and put your old motor and pump on it.

e: This is the one and only reason to buy an oil-less compressor. If Harbor freight tanks have an ASME cert then that works too.

oxbrain fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Oct 30, 2014

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Tools - Just Buy A Cheap Milk Truck

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
I suppose I'll stop being a cheapskate and just buy a new compressor, then. I'd like to save money, but I'd also like to avoid getting compressor shrapnel in my face. Thanks for info.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
In regards to tool storage.

I have a sortof ok Miter saw (Dewalt), that I'm currently storing in a storage room inside.
This thing is somewhat big though, and it would be much nicer to have it stored in a unheated shed I have outside.

I live in central Sweden, and winters here can get down to around -20C (-5F) or so (sometimes colder).
Is it a really dumb idea to store tools like that in a shed?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Dry would be the most important thing, you don't want dampness or condensation.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
I would guess that the air in there would be quite damp, considering it's just a shed with no insulation.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
At below-freezing temps the air will be bone-dry, air can hold basically zero moisture at those temps. As long as you keep the water off it the temperatures shouldn't bother it at all.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
A follow-up question about air compressors.

I'm considering buying this Makita MAC700. Is this one a good choice for a DIYer like me who'll be using it for inflating tires, hooking it up an impact wrench, and brad nailing? I want something that isn't too loud, somewhat-portable (ie. easy to bring around the house without wrecking my back) and can be operated indoors without issue.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I stored things in a shed with no insulation, it wasn't good because we had a very lovely winter, lots of above freezing temps and moisture, and also condensation forming on stuff when it goes from below zero to above zero. The place I stored this in was truly bad, there was wide open space in the walls that was just covered by the roof, so it blew right through it, moist air and all. If your space is at least shielded from the outside, if not insulated then you're in a better position.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Uncle Enzo posted:

At below-freezing temps the air will be bone-dry, air can hold basically zero moisture at those temps. As long as you keep the water off it the temperatures shouldn't bother it at all.

This is true but I'd worry about it being warm in the days then quickly cooling off at night leading to condensation then ice forming on stuff. How humid are days in Sweden? How big is the temp change?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

melon cat posted:

A follow-up question about air compressors.

I'm considering buying this Makita MAC700. Is this one a good choice for a DIYer like me who'll be using it for inflating tires, hooking it up an impact wrench, and brad nailing? I want something that isn't too loud, somewhat-portable (ie. easy to bring around the house without wrecking my back) and can be operated indoors without issue.

Impact wrenches need big compressors. If you want decent portability you may want to give up on that part of it.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
I've kept up a little on this thread about tools from Harbor Freight, but I was wondering if anyone has experience with their air compressors, and their pneumatic tools in general? I'm thinking of picking up a small compressor, stapler, and orbital sander to start. Should I look elsewhere even though I'm a new hobbyist? I don't need the tools to last for a lifetime or anything, but I also would like them to last a couple years at least with light-medium use.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

powderific posted:

Impact wrenches need big compressors. If you want decent portability you may want to give up on that part of it.
I understand. But how big of a compressor are we talking? Would that MAC700 I mentioned earlier be sufficient? The only mobility I'd ever need is to occasionally haul the unit into our house to use the brad nailer during renovations, and that wouldn't be too often.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

CarForumPoster posted:

This is true but I'd worry about it being warm in the days then quickly cooling off at night leading to condensation then ice forming on stuff. How humid are days in Sweden? How big is the temp change?

Also, if this is seasonal storage and the tool won't be needed often, could it be wrapped in a plastic bag and sealed tight to limit humidity movement?

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
Meh, I'll just keep the miter saw inside for now.
Better safe than sorry I guess.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Knyteguy posted:

I've kept up a little on this thread about tools from Harbor Freight, but I was wondering if anyone has experience with their air compressors, and their pneumatic tools in general? I'm thinking of picking up a small compressor, stapler, and orbital sander to start. Should I look elsewhere even though I'm a new hobbyist? I don't need the tools to last for a lifetime or anything, but I also would like them to last a couple years at least with light-medium use.

The compressors are poo poo. I've had TWO of the 30 gal 240v ones go to poo poo on me. I have a few of their air tools and they seem to be mostly alright. Just larger and less powerful than better makes.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Also, if this is seasonal storage and the tool won't be needed often, could it be wrapped in a plastic bag and sealed tight to limit humidity movement?

It would need to be vacuum sealed otherwise you'd get condensation.

dinozaur
Aug 26, 2003
STUPID
DICK

melon cat posted:

I understand. But how big of a compressor are we talking? Would that MAC700 I mentioned earlier be sufficient? The only mobility I'd ever need is to occasionally haul the unit into our house to use the brad nailer during renovations, and that wouldn't be too often.

No. A standard impact wrench uses 5cfm @ 90psi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

wormil posted:

It would need to be vacuum sealed otherwise you'd get condensation.

Could throw some desiccant in there.