Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
He is the son of Mr. Karate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
I they should just give Dan an SPD in Omega Mode and call it a day

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

The joke is KING OF FIGHTERS?! HAHAHA!!!

He might be able to take a punch, but the street fighter cast shits on him.

KOF blew that out of the water by making their akuma a little girl

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Omega Mode should give Dan an instakill Raging Demon. Make it cost four bars, that way he actually has a reason to taunt. Now when he's jumping and taunting at fullscreen you actually have an incentive to put a stop to that poo poo.

It would be broken as hell, but who cares! Omega Mode!

satsui no thankyou
Apr 23, 2011
give him ryo's parry

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Mr. Satan and Krillin are strong as gently caress compared to normal people, it's just that there's guys like Goku flying around. Dan is the same way.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Has anyone here watched DarkSydePhil play SF4? I accidentally stumbled upon one of his videos and he's hysterical.

Apparently he claims to be an ex-pro player or something but he constantly says poo poo like "Why the gently caress is this hitting me?! I'm blocking!" while "Counter-Hit" message constantly pops up on the screen. The amount of bullshit that comes out from his mouth is astonishing.

Is he for real or is he just trolling constantly?

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

You can punish fierce headbutt with st.HP, cr.HK, reversal EX walldive, or U2. I think you need U2 to punish medium headbutt and he can't punish jab headbutt at all.

Can gief do anything against any of honda's headbutts? I think gief can stand short into greenhand after blocking ex headbutt, but the other headbutts seem too far away. Also, can gief do anything to a blocked blanka ball?

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Jack Trades posted:

Has anyone here watched DarkSydePhil play SF4? I accidentally stumbled upon one of his videos and he's hysterical.

Apparently he claims to be an ex-pro player or something but he constantly says poo poo like "Why the gently caress is this hitting me?! I'm blocking!" while "Counter-Hit" message constantly pops up on the screen. The amount of bullshit that comes out from his mouth is astonishing.

He's for real and I'm pretty sure everyone in the FGC hates him, but I could be wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qbs2V0smvHE

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

The joke of Dan is that he loves to taunt, but is weaker than the other fighters

He's just happy to be here :(

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Jack Trades posted:

He is an ex-pro, and is really good at ST and MvC1.

That said, what you are watching is narcissism.

He is the most egregious example on youtube, but a great deal of regular people are just like that as well, they just don't youtube it. If you don't believe me, ask a dota player why they lost their last game.

Now that you know, it's best to not talk about that guy.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I think youtube is mainly a tool for narcissists to get attention.

That said, I've never met anyone who likes DSP. I don't think there's anyone on earth who likes DSP. Not even his own mother.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Gammatron 64 posted:

I think youtube is mainly a tool for narcissists to get attention.

That said, I've never met anyone who likes DSP. I don't think there's anyone on earth who likes DSP. Not even his own mother.

He's from CT and everyone from the area that knows him personally that I've talked to said he is a cool dude and the whole thing is just an act.

I've never met the dude though so w/e.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

He's for real and I'm pretty sure everyone in the FGC hates him, but I could be wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qbs2V0smvHE

lol

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Welcome back.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Gammatron 64 posted:

Mr. Satan and Krillin are strong as gently caress compared to normal people, it's just that there's guys like Goku flying around. Dan is the same way.

Mr.satan could easily beat up goku

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Ryuga Death posted:

Can gief do anything against any of honda's headbutts? I think gief can stand short into greenhand after blocking ex headbutt, but the other headbutts seem too far away. Also, can gief do anything to a blocked blanka ball?

Gief can punish HP or MP headbutt with LP or EX greenhand. If you block LP headbutt standing you can punish with LP greenhand. If you block LP headbutt crouching, you can kara LP greenhand with standing roundhouse to punish it but that's really hard.

He can punish HP blanka ball with EX greenhand. If you do it immediately it will knock Blanka out of the air, if you delay it a little you can catch him grounded and combo into red focus if you have the meter. You can also punish it by walking forward a little bit and doing LP greenhand. He can punish MP blanka ball if you stand block with EX greenhand. If you crouch block, you need to kara EX greenhand with standing roundhouse. You can't punish LP blanka ball, but instead you can do reversal kick lariat to build a bit of meter safely.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

He's from CT and everyone from the area that knows him personally that I've talked to said he is a cool dude and the whole thing is just an act.

I've never met the dude though so w/e.

I've always assumed this. Same thing goes for Internet personalities like KaceyTron and LOW ヘ(>_<ヘ) TIER o(´^`)o GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWHD ヽ(^Д^)ノ. They get people talking and paying attention to them.

I think DSP has a small army of people who make videos all about him because they can't into satire. I remember watching an hour-long video some guy made about a DSP walkthrough for Metal Gear Solid, all the parts where DSP pretends to be really mad and so on.

It's an effective way to get attention.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
I never thought I'd read this much flattery towards DSP

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

LOW ヘ(>_<ヘ) TIER o(´^`)o GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWHD ヽ(^Д^)ノ.

Don't do this.

quote:

They get people talking and paying attention to them.

Or this.

quote:

I think DSP has a small army of people who make videos all about him because they can't into satire. I remember watching an hour-long video some guy made about a DSP walkthrough for Metal Gear Solid, all the parts where DSP pretends to be really mad and so on.

This is all awful and you are a gullible goon.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
If DSP is an act (which I doubt) then he's even more retarded than I thought he was.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
He actually is that retarded, good lord guys.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Left hand attack, thorough ball punch shoryuken.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Picking up Balrog, I've figured out I can reliably get lp > lk to link if I force myself to slow down by pianoing the jabs, and I've already got a callus built up from playing Chun. Thanks, Chun.

I probably look like an idiot doing it as Balrog.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Gief can punish HP or MP headbutt with LP or EX greenhand. If you block LP headbutt standing you can punish with LP greenhand. If you block LP headbutt crouching, you can kara LP greenhand with standing roundhouse to punish it but that's really hard.

He can punish HP blanka ball with EX greenhand. If you do it immediately it will knock Blanka out of the air, if you delay it a little you can catch him grounded and combo into red focus if you have the meter. You can also punish it by walking forward a little bit and doing LP greenhand. He can punish MP blanka ball if you stand block with EX greenhand. If you crouch block, you need to kara EX greenhand with standing roundhouse. You can't punish LP blanka ball, but instead you can do reversal kick lariat to build a bit of meter safely.

Having a tough time doing the kara greenhands (both ex and lp). How do you do it, especially from crouching?

Kind of sucks I can't do anything about lp blanka ball, but it seems like I can just jab the ball when it's in motion? Probably not the safest thing to do.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
You do the DP motion ending with forward then "plink" HK to LP or HK to LP+MP. It's hard because normals don't get the reversal window specials do. I wouldn't recommend doing it against Honda's LP headbutt because it's something like a 1 or 2 frame window to punish, but it's fairly easy to do against Blankas MP ball since the main problem is distance. Kara green hand is also required to punish Blankas non-ex upballs.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Just a quick comment on the F2P thing. I think an fighting game could easily do it, but probably not based off of a currently existing game. Take a look at Ken and Ryu. Do you really need a karate guy from America and Japan? You could just have one guy with some sort of system to choose the fireballs, dps, and tatsus of your preference. Some moves will come standard, some will have to be unlocked. Also it would probably help the genre become more accessible as at least some people will ask the question "Why should I spend my real/fake money to unlock a different version of the same move?"

The patch that dropped in October doesn't seem to be popular. The only thing I really saw here was the netcode is still bad. Did it have anything else besides a netcode "fix"? At one point Capcom said it would have balance changes for ultra in a patch, but the next one seems to be geared towards omega mode. Are the balance changes actually going to happen?

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Safety Scissors posted:

Just a quick comment on the F2P thing. I think an fighting game could easily do it, but probably not based off of a currently existing game. Take a look at Ken and Ryu. Do you really need a karate guy from America and Japan? You could just have one guy with some sort of system to choose the fireballs, dps, and tatsus of your preference. Some moves will come standard, some will have to be unlocked. Also it would probably help the genre become more accessible as at least some people will ask the question "Why should I spend my real/fake money to unlock a different version of the same move?"
lol this is a terrible idea

You just do what DOTA 2 did. Release full game for free, all characters unlocked, sell costumes/pieces of costumes for money/let them unlock them at a dreadfully slow rate to give some incentive for play.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
The patch was purely to fix the netcode and kill a few minor bugs, nothing more. And it didn't fix the netcode.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
They made an F2P tekken and it was bad.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Doesn't DOA5 have a F2P offshoot? How'd that work out.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
DOA is for chumps but what I recall from the F2P Tekken at least was that if you really tallied everything up you could just go buy Tekken Tag 2 which would have more characters, modes, and a stage where Snoop Dogg watches you fight for roughly the same price.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Tekken and Virtua Fighter both have a lot of different clothing you can put on your fighter. Just do that in Street Fighter rather than having to buy entire costumes.

The thing with SF5 is I dunno what you could do to change up the formula and still have it both be Street Fighter and also not terrible. (i.e. stuff like air blocking, chain combos and the like have no business being in a Street Fighter game.) With SF4 they were kind of stretching as Focus Attacks are kind of an odd mechanic.

Also I'd like them to pull a SF3 and abandon most established characters and get some new people in.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
If SF4 wasn't already released and suddenly came out as F2P, "full" game as far as like, it had all the characters/moves and just paywalled some stages/modes and then also sold cosmetic poo poo (custom fireball colors, dress up dolly full costumes like they already do plus one off items you can combine like Tekken/VF) I think they would make way more money than they've made off selling SF4 discs/expansion DLC to date. I also would completely accept this particular F2P model. I'll probably pass on any F2P fighting game that locks the majority of characters unless you buy them with real money. I will poo poo my pants in rage at the first sign of a game that requires you to spend money to buy "tokens" or "energy" or whatever to keep playing matches.

edit: I don't think I can overstate how much money Capcom would make off custom projectile colors or other move effects. Imagine purple fire for Ken, red lighting for C.Viper, rainbow trails for Genei Jin or Seiei Enbu. poo poo they could implement this right now for minimal effort and just choke to death on the insane amount of money that would pour in.

Trykt fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Nov 3, 2014

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

They made an F2P tekken and it was bad.

quote:

DOA is for chumps but what I recall from the F2P Tekken at least was that if you really tallied everything up you could just go buy Tekken Tag 2 which would have more characters, modes, and a stage where Snoop Dogg watches you fight for roughly the same price.

Were we playing the same game? I don't remember buying any characters.

And I understand that TTT2 was a really great game and all, but nobody played it. People don't remember this, but there was a time when Tekken was as big as capcom games. Now Tekken is about half as popular of the latest hentai fighter.

Tekken needed some rebooting and they used the f2p to try out some new stuff that alot of people enjoyed. Stop being so mean.

Trykt posted:

I will poo poo my pants in rage at the first sign of a game that requires you to spend money to buy "tokens" or "energy" or whatever to keep playing matches.

Every game I play at the arcade is like this

40 OZ fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Nov 3, 2014

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

40 OZ posted:

Every game I play at the arcade is like this

The comparison is cell phone games, not arcade games.

Puzzle Thing
Dec 12, 2006
Your life is as steak!

Trykt posted:

If SF4 wasn't already released and suddenly came out as F2P, "full" game as far as like, it had all the characters/moves and just paywalled some stages/modes and then also sold cosmetic poo poo (custom fireball colors, dress up dolly full costumes like they already do plus one off items you can combine like Tekken/VF) I think they would make way more money than they've made off selling SF4 discs/expansion DLC to date. I also would completely accept this particular F2P model. I'll probably pass on any F2P fighting game that locks the majority of characters unless you buy them with real money. I will poo poo my pants in rage at the first sign of a game that requires you to spend money to buy "tokens" or "energy" or whatever to keep playing matches.

edit: I don't think I can overstate how much money Capcom would make off custom projectile colors or other move effects. Imagine purple fire for Ken, red lighting for C.Viper, rainbow trails for Genei Jin or Seiei Enbu. poo poo they could implement this right now for minimal effort and just choke to death on the insane amount of money that would pour in.

I think most companies totally underestimate how much everybody loves playing dress-up. If I can accrue a Clueless level closet in a vidja-game I'm p much ecstatic.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Gammatron 64 posted:

Tekken and Virtua Fighter both have a lot of different clothing you can put on your fighter. Just do that in Street Fighter rather than having to buy entire costumes.

The thing with SF5 is I dunno what you could do to change up the formula and still have it both be Street Fighter and also not terrible. (i.e. stuff like air blocking, chain combos and the like have no business being in a Street Fighter game.) With SF4 they were kind of stretching as Focus Attacks are kind of an odd mechanic.

Also I'd like them to pull a SF3 and abandon most established characters and get some new people in.

Air blocking was cool in alpha 2.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Puzzle Thing posted:

I think most companies totally underestimate how much everybody loves playing dress-up. If I can accrue a Clueless level closet in a vidja-game I'm p much ecstatic.

If they really wanted to bilk some extra funds, they could monetize the costumes in 2 ways.

1)A marketplace where they can buy the costume pieces they want for their character (generally after building it and getting a preview of what it would look like)

2)In addition to the market place where they can buy the pieces they want, customers can also buy random packs of costume pieces. These packs would be much cheaper per item then individually buying the pieces. In addition there would be certain "rare" costume pieces only obtainable in the random packs. Throw in a free "Bonus" pack of costume pieces after every x costume packs purchased.

People will get addicted to buying the costume packs VERY quickly.

edit-Oh and to really get people hooked, give out a few voucher for free "Packs" of costume pieces after some number of wins in online play or after completing the story mode. They would still have to go into the costume menu to use it.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Nov 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Air blocking was cool in alpha 2.

It was in Alpha 2? I know you could make a custom character in the home ports of Alpha 3 that could air block. Welp I look like a dumbass now.

• Locked thread