Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Mailer posted:

Bee + Sand Hawk
Gunerang/Babymaker (Axton)
Interfacer as a lesser but still really good replacement for DPUH on Sal
Sham + Norfleet (and + Gaige if you want to be silly)
Lots of setups that required specific relics and class mods

It really depends on your definition of "trivialize". If the game was tuned so that any character using any build with any gear could beat it then most setups with the slightest amount of thought put in would destroy everything.

Edit: By "beat it", I mean do so without 30 minute fights where you slog through it.

Sham + Norfleet is a good contender for a DPUH but I'm not too sure about the other ones you listed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cams
Mar 28, 2003

What is the time difference between Borderlands, The Pre Sequel, and Borderlands 2?

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

AHungryRobot posted:

Sham + Norfleet is a good contender for a DPUH but I'm not too sure about the other ones you listed.

They're all good in their own way, but that's kind of beside the point. Any thought-out combination of gear and build will stomp all over Random Build Guy with a perfect DPUH. It's not some ridiculous overpowered gun; it's the thought behind using it that was required in UVHM/OP.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

To be clear, I would be fine with UVHM if it increased the amount of enemies, or introduced ultra-nasty new enemy types (like going from Stalkers to Rabid Stalkers), or even just made badasses ludicrous bullet sponges, but making every single enemy like that eliminates a whole lot of otherwise-viable play styles for no real reason other then laziness. If they actually put time and resources into BLOZ's UVHM, rather then just going :effort: and jacking up enemy HP, I'll be fine.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

UVHM is not that bad and I really hope we see an equivalent in the pre-sequel, just a bit more well thought out. Or have playthrough 3 just be a resettable, scaling playthrough and have OP levels increase the difficulty.

I'm also all for way more enemies though the amount of enemies that spawn with railguns should be kept down. :colbert:

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

To be clear, I would be fine with UVHM if it increased the amount of enemies, or introduced ultra-nasty new enemy types (like going from Stalkers to Rabid Stalkers), or even just made badasses ludicrous bullet sponges, but making every single enemy like that eliminates a whole lot of otherwise-viable play styles for no real reason other then laziness. If they actually put time and resources into BLOZ's UVHM, rather then just going :effort: and jacking up enemy HP, I'll be fine.

I think their goal was to make slag more of a thing? Otherwise you just pop the enemy's weak element and go to town vs everyone.

I do like how in BLTPS, you can't fire spam unless you set up the right conditions for it. Elemental damage was a bit too good in BL2.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

cams posted:

What is the time difference between Borderlands, The Pre Sequel, and Borderlands 2?

I think it's just a couple years at most. There's an official Borderlands timeline, but I don't know how specific it gets with dates.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

cams posted:

I think it's supposed to be roughly 5 years between Borderlands 1 & 2. I'm guessing Borderlands: PS is closer to 2 than 1.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

The Borderlands Presequel season pass is a bit weird. I think that for BL2, the campaign DLC was mostly ok with Tiny Tina being a cut above. I hope the one or two campaign DLC they do have is Tiny Tina quality since they don't seem to have quite as many in the pipeline.

The character DLC in BL2 were amazing, but I was never close to maxing out all of the classes and seeing their potential. Now that we're doubling the BL2 roster size, the problem is even worse. This isn't a huge complaint though - it just means that the BL games are insanely replayable.

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.
I hope that the level cap increase also brings ammo capacity increases with it. I'm tired of constantly running out of shotgun ammo.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Luckily you can get the season pack for the price of one dlc from g2a

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Tezzeract posted:

Now that we're doubling the BL2 roster size, the problem is even worse.

Huh? Did more characters get announced besides Jack's body double and the Baroness?

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Has the baronness even been announced yet? And, as a pleb who never got to TVHM, and doesn't really know a lot of the theory of this game, why's Sham+Norfleet op?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

cams posted:

There's a five year time skip between 1 and 2. It's kind of blurry where the presequel fits in there since IIRC it's never directly stated how long Jack has been CEO.

Also:

Neopie posted:

Has the baronness even been announced yet? And, as a pleb who never got to TVHM, and doesn't really know a lot of the theory of this game, why's Sham+Norfleet op?
This but with Gunerang Axton, since my comment was at the end of last page. I am fascinated by the idea of the gunerang being useful. And for your question not really, the PAX panel just referenced "a character after Jack".

mycot fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Nov 2, 2014

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Huh? Did more characters get announced besides Jack's body double and the Baroness?

Oh I was just thinking of TPS as an expansion to BL2, which adding together all the new characters would double the total. It might make more sense for me because I hadn't gotten super into BL2 before TPS and only really played the Mechromancer.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

The community day heads were fantastic for BL2. Salvadore and Zero always look classy.

Tezzeract fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 2, 2014

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

More importantly: why are there so few heads

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Neopie posted:

The Norfleet has absurdly high damage, even for a rocket launcher. Normally you can't just spam it because of limited ammo and also the AOEs it creates are liable to hit you, especially in enclosed areas. The Sham solves both of those problems. It's a legendary absorb shield, and if you get one with the right parts it will have a 94% chance to absorb incoming bullets. Thus you can spam Norfleet with relative impunity. If you start to run out you can use Logan's Gun to restore ammo; fire it downwards and the bullets it fires will explode on you, restoring rocket ammo.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

watho posted:

UVHM is not that bad and I really hope we see an equivalent in the pre-sequel, just a bit more well thought out. Or have playthrough 3 just be a resettable, scaling playthrough and have OP levels increase the difficulty.

I'm also all for way more enemies though the amount of enemies that spawn with railguns should be kept down. :colbert:

UVHM is terrible if you enjoy any sort of fast paced shooter. TVHM and normal are at least playable with that kind of style, all UVHM did was lock people into builds and make the game extremely stale.

Tezzeract posted:

I think their goal was to make slag more of a thing? Otherwise you just pop the enemy's weak element and go to town vs everyone.

I do like how in BLTPS, you can't fire spam unless you set up the right conditions for it. Elemental damage was a bit too good in BL2.

and in UVHM, you just pop slag, then pop whatever weakness the enemy has

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Father Wendigo posted:

It also drops from that named Stalker boss in R&D, which is more likely an oversight than anything else. It's also easier to get to once you open the back door, provided you don't mind seeing everyone's best friend Rabid Stalker.

I sometimes wonder why Hyperion is experimenting with rabies in their robotics lab, but I'm not a scientific mastermind so maybe they know more about these things than I do. I dunno.

Edit: There's all sorts of stuff that doesn't make sense about the timeline, though. The vault key that was used in the Vault of the Warrior was the same one that was used to awaken the Destroyer. Jack already has the Destroyer's eye, so did he already have the vault key too? The BL2 echo logs make it pretty clear that it was Jack that went in and stole the key from Tannis. If Jack already had the vault key, it's pretty obvious that he was an evil son of a bitch even before the events of TPS, but his demeanor through TPS just completely doesn't show that at all. Also, Jack didn't take control of Hyperion until the end of TPS, but the Destroyer's eye was already installed at Helios. So... a) how did some grunt-level programmer manage to get his hands on the eye of the freaking Destroyer in the first place, and b) how did he manage to get it installed into the Helios laser? (Although I guess now that I think about it Hyperion could have done everything with the laser on their own and Jack was just taking credit for it, because they were using slag to power it and Jack had no idea what slag was when you go into the laser room.)

Of course that completely ignores how the Vault of the Sentinel was opened. Are there multiple keys? Was the same key charged somehow? Eesh.

Was Tannis still working for Dahl during the events of TPS? Could she have somehow figured out how to charge the vault key and opened the Sentinel's vault with it, and then Zarpedon's crew was assigned to guard it and she got messed up by the Super Vault Powers(tm) and went rogue?

The Rokstar fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Nov 2, 2014

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

smashpro1 posted:

$10. The website says the current DLC plans are Jack, another character, level cap increase, and one new campaign.
Man, I saw this coming two weeks ago.

Father Wendigo posted:

I feel I should elaborate: What I'm worried about is that Gearbox will only release 4 DLC packages for the Pre-Sequel; two of which are characters.

To everyone saying that UVHM could be good if they don't half-rear end it, I ask you to think about how much of the core game is rushed, half-assed, and/or bugged.

Speaking of bugged, I just completed TVHM today with Smashpro. We would have completed it last night, but we ran into the bug where the flying Eridians in the final boss weren't flagged to provide second winds or experience, which got to me hard enough to kill what enthusiasm I had left. And then this afternoon when I finished the credit scroll, the post-game TVHM didn't kick in and I got an under-leveled Rosie.

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.

Father Wendigo posted:

Speaking of bugged, I just completed TVHM today with Smashpro.

And I've been waiting for you to hop back on so we can go back to farming Deadlift.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Father Wendigo posted:

Speaking of bugged, I just completed TVHM today with Smashpro. We would have completed it last night, but we ran into the bug where the flying Eridians in the final boss weren't flagged to provide second winds or experience, which got to me hard enough to kill what enthusiasm I had left. And then this afternoon when I finished the credit scroll, the post-game TVHM didn't kick in and I got an under-leveled Rosie.

You can only get a lv48 Rosie.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

The Rokstar posted:

The vault key that was used in the Vault of the Warrior was the same one that was used to awaken the Destroyer. Jack already has the Destroyer's eye, so did he already have the vault key too? The BL2 echo logs make it pretty clear that it was Jack that went in and stole the key from Tannis. If Jack already had the vault key, it's pretty obvious that he was an evil son of a bitch even before the events of TPS, but his demeanor through TPS just completely doesn't show that at all.
I think I can explain this one. I'm pretty certain Jack stealing the Vault Key/torturing Tannis happened after the presequel, since Jack didn't know/care about the Warrior until the end of the presequel. Remember the Warrior is Jack's substitute for the Destroyer. So with that and the fact that Tannis was already on Pandora it's not out of there that she would still have the key with her.

Jack is outright surprised that Zarpedon opened the Vault of the Sentinel with the key's location still being unknown. Given that she was dealing with live eridians maybe something weird happened.

mycot fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Nov 2, 2014

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

mycot posted:

I think I can explain this one. I'm pretty certain Jack stealing the Vault Key/torturing Tannis happened after the presequel, since Jack didn't know/care about the Warrior until the end of the presequel. Remember the Warrior is Jack's substitute for the Destroyer. So with that and the fact that Tannis was already on Pandora it's not out of there that she would still have the key with her.

Jack is outright surprised that Zarpedon opened the Vault of the Sentinel with the key's location still being unknown. Given that she was dealing with live eridians maybe something weird happened.

Or it might have been something like the Badass Crater Vault.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

smashpro1 posted:

And I've been waiting for you to hop back on so we can go back to farming Deadlift.
Mea Culpa, smash. I had some family things that needed doing, but I'll be back on around 6:30 CST tonight.

Genocyber posted:

Ah. Well, at least that's some cold comfort.

smashpro1 posted:

I think the whole BACoB Vault wasn't an actual Vault, but an fake manufactured by the Torgue corporation to build heat for their expensive new advertising special - the Campaign of Carnage.

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Father Wendigo posted:

Mea Culpa, smash. I had some family things that needed doing, but I'll be back on around 6:30 CST tonight.

How about 7:00?

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

smashpro1 posted:

How about 7:00?

That works, see you on Live.

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Father Wendigo posted:

I think the whole BACoB Vault wasn't an actual Vault, but an fake manufactured by the Torgue corporation to build heat for their expensive new advertising special - the Campaign of Carnage.

Except that particular Vault was discovered, and its presence announced, by Tannis, who has never had any affiliation with Torgue. Mister Torgue just built the arena on top of it.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

The Rokstar posted:

I sometimes wonder why Hyperion is experimenting with rabies in their robotics lab, but I'm not a scientific mastermind so maybe they know more about these things than I do. I dunno.

Edit: There's all sorts of stuff that doesn't make sense about the timeline, though. The vault key that was used in the Vault of the Warrior was the same one that was used to awaken the Destroyer. Jack already has the Destroyer's eye, so did he already have the vault key too? The BL2 echo logs make it pretty clear that it was Jack that went in and stole the key from Tannis. If Jack already had the vault key, it's pretty obvious that he was an evil son of a bitch even before the events of TPS, but his demeanor through TPS just completely doesn't show that at all. Also, Jack didn't take control of Hyperion until the end of TPS, but the Destroyer's eye was already installed at Helios. So... a) how did some grunt-level programmer manage to get his hands on the eye of the freaking Destroyer in the first place, and b) how did he manage to get it installed into the Helios laser? (Although I guess now that I think about it Hyperion could have done everything with the laser on their own and Jack was just taking credit for it, because they were using slag to power it and Jack had no idea what slag was when you go into the laser room.)

Of course that completely ignores how the Vault of the Sentinel was opened. Are there multiple keys? Was the same key charged somehow? Eesh.

Was Tannis still working for Dahl during the events of TPS? Could she have somehow figured out how to charge the vault key and opened the Sentinel's vault with it, and then Zarpedon's crew was assigned to guard it and she got messed up by the Super Vault Powers(tm) and went rogue?

It's likely the Eplis vault is not connected to the Pandora vaults and was opened in some other manner.

As to how the Destroyer's Eye got installed in Helios, I'm sure Hyperion was well aware of it. Jack was not a low level programmer at the start of the PS, he meets with and is familiar with the Board of Directors of Hyperion. He is the one that convinced them to build the station to take control and exploit Pandora, and he somehow knew the Eye, or SOMETHING from the Destroyer could be useful, which is at least one of the reasons he tricked the BL1 crew into opening the vault. I imagine he was able to figure this out somehow via Angel. I hope some of the planned DLC will fill out the Jack/Angel relationship, and are not simply joke throwaways like the first 3 DLCs for BL2.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

smashpro1 posted:

Except that particular Vault was discovered, and its presence announced, by Tannis, who has never had any affiliation with Torgue.

And is completely batshit.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

smashpro1 posted:

That too, there's the "it just didn't need a key" possibility, but I was sorta leaving that out because Jack's reaction implies he was expecting something more complicated than that. But of course Jack doesn't know everything; the only thing he really seems to have known before anyone else is the stuff around the Vault of the Destroyer and Eridium.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

mycot posted:

That too, there's the "it just didn't need a key" possibility, but I was sorta leaving that out because Jack's reaction implies he was expecting something more complicated than that. But of course Jack doesn't know everything; the only thing he really seems to have known before anyone else is the stuff around the Vault of the Destroyer and Eridium.

It could have been really complicated, and required a different key, or whatever, but Zarpadon did all the work. Keep in mind, opening the vault on Elpis is what caused the Crackening to happen.

s1ppycup
Jul 31, 2010

Genocyber posted:

Apparently you can get a 50 Rosie, you just need to be 50 before you accept "The Beginning of the End". So grind a lot basically, and do every side-quest.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.
That is a loving ton of grinding to do before that point.

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Thanks, Wendigo. Enjoy all the stuff I duped for you, and I'll enjoy all the stuff you duped for me.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Get the level 48 Rosie and edit it in Gibbed to be level 50 :q:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

s1ppycup posted:

Apparently you can get a 50 Rosie, you just need to be 50 before you accept "The Beginning of the End". So grind a lot basically, and do every side-quest.

IIRC you still get a lv48 Rosie. That's what I heard, at least.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
There seems to be a puzzle on the Veins of Helios, but I can't figure it out. Hm.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I just beat TVHM for the first time today and I'm bummed out that there's no Tina and Brick ending cinematic to match the second go-through. Feels like a lost opportunity to me.

Was poking around Concordia after that and finally noticed these books:

Bottom left to make it easier to read:

The bullet one makes me think of Nisha's line when she's getting put into the moonshot cannon. It's the second biggest bullet she's ever been in :clint:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Is it wrong to want to edit the Boganella to stay viable as I finish the game? I can't stop laughing at it.

• Locked thread