Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
Let's just combine Oregon and Washington already, then the folks north of the Columbia will share in our bounty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

mod sassinator posted:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/11/01/oregon-legal-weed_n_6084208.html

Oregonians, do your part Tuesday to legalize weed so I can occasionally drive down and pay lower prices than the CF of regulations and supply issues in Washington.

(I will however quickly drive back up to Seattle for fear I have to stop for gas and have someone pump it for me)

Ride a motorcycle and you can pump your own gas.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Hedera Helix posted:

Let's just combine Oregon and Washington already, then the folks north of the Columbia will share in our bounty.

Then you would be in the same state as Vancouver.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

If we combined Washington, Oregon, and B.C., both Vancouvers would be part of the same entity.

EDIT: In my experience, if someone from Washington refers to "Vancouver" without context, they're usually talking about the city in B.C., but if they're from Oregon they're talking about the city in Washington. You guys should just annex the place already. :getin:

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Nov 1, 2014

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Ditocoaf posted:

You guys should just annex the place already. :getin:

You can't make us, we will just turn off the lights and pretend Oregon never existed in the first place.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

My favorite political mailing so far this election has been the following bugnuts "No on 91" piece of histrionic flailing:

"OMG think of the children marijuana big business junk food over 9000 joints oh no oh no oh no!"

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Ardennes posted:

Then you would be in the same state as Vancouver.

Vancouver, WA will have no reason to exist once it has an income tax and is placed within the urban growth boundary.

it's not like it has much else going for it

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

CaptainSarcastic posted:

My favorite political mailing so far this election has been the following bugnuts "No on 91" piece of histrionic flailing:

"OMG think of the children marijuana big business junk food over 9000 joints oh no oh no oh no!"

Big Marijuana?

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

CaptainSarcastic posted:

This can't be real.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Did you read the opposition statements in the voter's pamphlet? Most of them ended up referring to POT CANDY. Measure 91 does not REQUIRE parents to secure their POT CANDY. This was an actual argument that will actually sway some dingbats in eastern Oregon and ruin it for the rest of us.

I feel this impending sense of doom that 91 isnt going to pass and Washington will get to keep laughing at how backward and stupid Oregon voters are :(

edit: Did they fill those bags with hops?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

ShutteredIn posted:

This can't be real.

That is the scan of the actual postcard I got in the mail. It is totally real, and totally desperate.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

That is the scan of the actual postcard I got in the mail. It is totally real, and totally desperate.

that mailer just makes me want legalization even more

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Move to Washington, it's as awesome as it sounds. Your friends will mock you for being paranoid about weed.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Move to Washington, it's as awesome as it sounds. Your friends will mock you for being paranoid about weed.

Yeah, no. I'm allergic to sales tax.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Oregon and Washington are probably doing themselves a lot of harm by being a "No Sales Tax, Ever" state adjacent to a "No Income Tax, Ever" state. It's like anti-symbiosis, letting local people pull a Vancouver and pay neither kind of tax.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

Ditocoaf posted:

Oregon and Washington are probably doing themselves a lot of harm by being a "No Sales Tax, Ever" state adjacent to a "No Income Tax, Ever" state. It's like anti-symbiosis, letting local people pull a Vancouver and pay neither kind of tax.

I agree, everyone that lives in Vancouver should jump off a bridge. Maybe they should agree to fund another one.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

If Oregon had a sales tax, how would it affect traffic on I-5 and I-205? There have to be a lot of people who live in Clark County, but come over to Portland whenever they need to make large purchases.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Hedera Helix posted:

If Oregon had a sales tax, how would it affect traffic on I-5 and I-205? There have to be a lot of people who live in Clark County, but come over to Portland whenever they need to make large purchases.

Well, Washington could always start enforcing its use tax against individuals... (Hahahahaha yeah. Ok. It would cost more to enforce then it would bring in as revenue).

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I suspect anybody who had to drive through would still do so, there'd just be less cross-border shopping.

I wouldn't mind people being charged their home state's sales tax rate since we have to pay theirs if we travel.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Javid posted:

I suspect anybody who had to drive through would still do so, there'd just be less cross-border shopping.

I wouldn't mind people being charged their home state's sales tax rate since we have to pay theirs if we travel.

Technically, in Washington, that's how it's supposed to work. Not because of sales tax, but due to use tax: http://dor.wa.gov/content/findtaxesandrates/usetax/

Now, the government doesn't really enforce it, though.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

I just got a banner ad for Andy Hill, the Republican incumbent state senator that represents the Redmond area. He's also shown up in person at my house. Oh god, I feel so targeted.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

seiferguy posted:

In other news, Mars Hill disbanded.

:hawksin:
This did not get nearly enough love.

So happy.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Javid posted:

You actually don't. And a lot of places won't charge you for it if you show them your ID (I know most of the stores in Seatac Airport don't).

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Thanatosian posted:

You actually don't. And a lot of places won't charge you for it if you show them your ID (I know most of the stores in Seatac Airport don't).

One of the revenue proposals that the legislature should pass is changing that. Right now you just flash an out of state ID and they take the tax off at the register, instead you would be charged the tax and you'd have to go to the Department of Revenue website and fill out a refund request form. Figuring that few people would go through the hassle, it'd raise more sales tax money. It's been brought up several times before but never passed.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Thanatosian posted:

This did not get nearly enough love.

So happy.

I'm kind of curious, why did they completely disband instead of just getting a new leader? Is shut so hosed up and lawsuit prone that the best option is to just shut it all down?

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

mod sassinator posted:

I'm kind of curious, why did they completely disband instead of just getting a new leader? Is shut so hosed up and lawsuit prone that the best option is to just shut it all down?

The article on it made it sound like it was partly a money issue. Mars Hill, as an organization, has to liquidate to pay bills and wages.

It also sounded like is was party because many of the sermons were broadcast from one location to all the other churches. Without Driscoll being broadcasted to projectors in 15 churches all at once, those other churches are going to have to get their own pastors and do their own sermons.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

gohuskies posted:

One of the revenue proposals that the legislature should pass is changing that. Right now you just flash an out of state ID and they take the tax off at the register, instead you would be charged the tax and you'd have to go to the Department of Revenue website and fill out a refund request form. Figuring that few people would go through the hassle, it'd raise more sales tax money. It's been brought up several times before but never passed.

Keep in mind that the exemption is limited to oregon, Alaska, New Hampshire, Delaware and Montana ID cards (the states without sales tax). It's also entirely the seller's discretion whether to take it off. The point is to try to get Oregon residents to do cross boarder shopping, it's not a massive loop-hole. If you required an application to the DOR then the entire point would be gone. As for the use tax, I can't imagine how difficult it would be to enforce on individuals. Businesses already keep records so it's as easy as auditing them every few years. How many individuals keep those kinds of records though?

Edit: weird, I just looked it up on their website and apparently Colorado IDs count too. Which is odd given that CO definitely has a tax. http://dor.wa.gov/Content/FindTaxesAndRates/RetailSalesTax/Nonresidents/default.aspx

HashtagGirlboss fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Nov 2, 2014

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

xrunner posted:

Keep in mind that the exemption is limited to oregon, Alaska, New Hampshire, Delaware and Montana ID cards (the states without sales tax).

Why would this even need to be said?

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

I don't want a nation just for me, I want a nation for everyone

Hedera Helix posted:

Vancouver, WA will have no reason to exist once it has an income tax and is placed within the urban growth boundary.

it's not like it has much else going for it

If the big one hits in the next few days our lack of bridges will make us safer from Oregonian ebola.

Hedera Helix posted:

Not much. Most of the traffic is from commuters not bargain hunters. It's not like we use all of our income tax savings to buy flat screen TVs.

I lied. I'm turning a room into a "holodeck" by covering every surface in flatscreens.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Bucket Joneses posted:

Why would this even need to be said?

Mainly because the post I quoted implied it was any out-of-state ID. Or at least I read that implication into.

And really, my point was that changing it to an exemption you apply for rather than get at point of sale defeats the entire point of the exemption anyway.

And I'm greedy and like to save a few cents on sales tax on the rare occasion I find myself buying something in the 'couv... :)

HashtagGirlboss fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Nov 2, 2014

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

size1one posted:

Not much. Most of the traffic is from commuters not bargain hunters.

That's why the only real solution is to have both states spread their tax revenue into their respective unused source.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Ditocoaf posted:

That's why the only real solution is to have both states spread their tax revenue into their respective unused source.

Nope - gently caress the idea of a sales tax. What we need to do is have corporations go back to paying a fair share of the tax burden, like they did in pre-1960s America.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Nope - gently caress the idea of a sales tax. What we need to do is have corporations go back to paying a fair share of the tax burden, like they did in pre-1960s America.

Limited sales taxes can be a good thing. A 1 or 2% meal and beverage tax on prepared food and alcohol for on premises consumption would bring a ton of money into the Portland city coffers. It's not like people come to Portland because it's cheaper than Vancouver or Beaverton. It's just a more desirable destination. Oregon law gives county governments the power to set them up, I believe, although currently I think only Ashland has one. I agree that a general sales tax would be crappy.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

xrunner posted:

Limited sales taxes can be a good thing. A 1 or 2% meal and beverage tax on prepared food and alcohol for on premises consumption would bring a ton of money into the Portland city coffers. It's not like people come to Portland because it's cheaper than Vancouver or Beaverton. It's just a more desirable destination. Oregon law gives county governments the power to set them up, I believe, although currently I think only Ashland has one. I agree that a general sales tax would be crappy.

There are hotel taxes and such in Oregon, and some other "luxury taxes," including some restaurant taxes, but they aren't really "sales taxes" per se.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

CaptainSarcastic posted:

There are hotel taxes and such in Oregon, and some other "luxury taxes," including some restaurant taxes, but they aren't really "sales taxes" per se.

Explain to me how Ashland doesn't have a sales tax "per se"? http://www.ashland.or.us/Page.asp?NavID=9180 that's a sales tax. It's a limited tax and not a general tax, but that doesn't make it any less of a sales tax.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

xrunner posted:

Explain to me how Ashland doesn't have a sales tax "per se"? http://www.ashland.or.us/Page.asp?NavID=9180 that's a sales tax. It's a limited tax and not a general tax, but that doesn't make it any less of a sales tax.

The narrowness of the focus and ability to avoid it make it more in the nature of a luxury tax, although it is, in barest terms, a sales tax. Basically, if you camp and don't eat at restaurants or go to bars then it doesn't exist. Local gas taxes are more of a classic sales tax, but you're right, the aforementioned restaurant tax is technically a sales tax.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

CaptainSarcastic posted:

The narrowness of the focus and ability to avoid it make it more in the nature of a luxury tax, although it is, in barest terms, a sales tax. Basically, if you camp and don't eat at restaurants or go to bars then it doesn't exist. Local gas taxes are more of a classic sales tax, but you're right, the aforementioned restaurant tax is technically a sales tax.

This is veering off topic, but no, it's not a sales tax in the barest sense. It's a sales tax. It's a tax on transactions where the seller collects the tax from the buyer as an agent of the government. Now, most sales taxes are broad, but they can be more limited. That doesn't make them not a sales tax. The motor fuel tax is not a classic sales tax. It's imposed on the dealer, generally when they remove the fuel from the terminal, and there is no visible pass through. It's more properly classified as an excise tax. You appear to be equating sales tax with a tax on necessities. It's not necessarily that. It's a tax on sales.

HashtagGirlboss fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Nov 3, 2014

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

xrunner posted:

This is veering off topic, but no, it's not a sales tax in the barest sense. It's a sales tax. It's a tax on transactions where the seller collects the tax from the buyer as an agent of the government. Now, most sales taxes are broad, but they can be more limited. That doesn't make them not a sales tax. The motor fuel tax is not a classic sales tax. It's imposed on the dealer, generally when they remove the fuel from the terminal, and there is no visible pass through. It's more properly classified as an excise tax. You appear to be equating sales tax with a tax on necessities. It's not necessarily that. It's a tax on sales.

I might be biased from the time I have lived in states WITH a sales tax, and thinking of it as an ubiquitous annoyance. And I already agreed that, by definition, the restaurant tax is a sales tax. The distinction I'm making is more of a subjective "spirit of the law" rather than a "letter of the law" statement.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

And to be real specific, its a tax on the consumer value of the sales rather than an arbitrary value measurement such as a gallon tax on gasoline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I might be biased from the time I have lived in states WITH a sales tax, and thinking of it as an ubiquitous annoyance. And I already agreed that, by definition, the restaurant tax is a sales tax. The distinction I'm making is more of a subjective "spirit of the law" rather than a "letter of the law" statement.

I get that. I'm just trying to reinforce that a sales tax isn't necessarily a tax on everything. That way, we can talk about maybe expanding revenue through limited taxes instead of the knee-jerk response of...

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Nope - gently caress the idea of a sales tax.

Personally, I think a meals and beverage tax would be an amazing source of revenue for Portland with almost no negative consequences. Way better than things like the street fee that was getting talked about earlier this year.

Gerund posted:

And to be real specific, its a tax on the consumer value of the sales rather than an arbitrary value measurement such as a gallon tax on gasoline.

That's also a good point, although I can think of plenty of excise taxes that are value based. Federal medical device excise tax come to mind. The big difference is that an excise tax tends to be imposed on an importer/manufacturer and baked into the final price while a sales tax is imposed on the retail sale. Although, in my experience the terms get used pretty inconsistently by different state legislatures.

HashtagGirlboss fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Nov 3, 2014

• Locked thread