Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

jeebus bob posted:

More like the parent who decided to try out that toy (which I can't imagine the kid would be able to operate) in the middle of the road is an irresponsible moron.

Wasabi the J posted:

Or it's fake

These are both also plausible.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Jombo posted:

I was reminded of this by the flying barbie into fireplace gif so...

This is pre-everyone having a camera phone schadenfreude so imagination is required.

One year back in the 80's this was the tickle-me-elmo of toys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJa6eUpxNyM

and all us 6 year olds were cracking wood everytime the ad came on tv during tmnt or some poo poo.

Anyway one of my good friends has a birthday the day after mine, and at his party he gets a TYPHOON! the most kickingest raddest piece of awesome the 1980s has to offer. Being quite poor myself I'd received socks or some poo poo for my birthday the day before and I must admit I was more than a little jealous.

Being the cutting edge of technology in an amazing age where calculator watches were replacing C64s as the shining example of human technological prowess the TYPHOON! came with rechargeable batteries instead of those old disposable D cells used by stoneage remote controlled vehicles. So the TYPHOON! goes straight from box to the charger while everyone dances around giddy with excitement about the torrent of fun about to be unleashed. After everyone couldn't hold it in any longer (probably 10 mins) the birthday boy rips the TYPHOON! from the charger and we all run straight to the best and only place to test out a toy as amazing as the TYPHOON! - the closest dam (we were on a farm you see). The birthday boy starts up the amazing machine and it really works! just like on the commercial! So straight out onto the water it goes, tearing around like a jesus boat walking on water, straight to the furthest part from the shore... when we start to hear the little electric motors spluttering - no longer did that nice high pitched whirr emanate from the fans. The astounding impatience we had displayed made us unworthy of the machine, and great forces were about to punish us for our hubris. Befitting its name and reputation the TYPHOON! appeared to put up a valiant struggle against the murky brown water as everyone on the shore stared on in silence, but after around 15 seconds and the last of the air leaking from it's skirt the machine disappeared below the surface along with its dead flat battery, as if it was just too perfect and not meant for this world. 30 seconds to bathe in its glow from start to finish were all we were afforded.

Amazingly my jealousy was gone - completely replaced by the sadness the this beautiful machine was gone, probably the only one for hundreds of kilometres in any direction, and never to brighten up this forgotten and neglected part of the Australian outback ever again.

Of course immediate petition was made to the adults in the area - surely something could be done. But the metre thick, sticky mud all around the dam made it a veritable death trap. The remainder of the party was merely the slow realisation over several hours that the TYPHOON! was really gone... but had we ever really had it? Were we delusional and only hallucinated the events due to overwhelming marketing and sugary food? No, the empty box and charger remained - as a physical reminder of the disaster that had just happened.

5 months later it was the height of summer, and the dam in question dried enough for the machine to be recovered. It was a shell of it's former self, as if all the fun and 80's style kickin' rad had vanished - leaving behind only a mud crusted piece of plastic. :(

I had one of these and it did float when the battery died, dunno man.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

FogHelmut posted:

I had one of these and it did float when the battery died, dunno man.
I had it too. I was obsessed with getting it, but it didn't live up to the hype. Anyway, that story is bullshit. Of course it didn't sink when the battery was dead.

Jombo
Feb 20, 2009

Leon Einstein posted:

I had it too. I was obsessed with getting it, but it didn't live up to the hype. Anyway, that story is bullshit. Of course it didn't sink when the battery was dead.

I assure you with as much credibility of a random guy on the internet has. That incident has been a laughing point amongst my school friends for 25 years and the crucial plot point would be hard to mistake.

Maybe it only sinks in Australia - like the toilet flushing thing

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Jombo posted:

I assure you with as much credibility of a random guy on the internet has. That incident has been a laughing point amongst my school friends for 25 years and the crucial plot point would be hard to mistake.

Which isn't true either.

Jombo
Feb 20, 2009

:facepalm:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Jombo posted:

Maybe Tyco made special extra-heavy ones just to gently caress with Australian kids. They've been laughing about it at their corporate offices for 25 years.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Merijn posted:

Twice I owned RC vehicles in my childhood, and twice was I disappointed in the lack of cool factor. They only seemed to be cool if you were willing to rough them up to the point where they'd only last a week, tops.
That's perfectly fine though, because they're really only fun for about as long as it takes to damage them. You can get some extra fun out of them if you only have one set of batteries and have to wait to recharge between uses (especially if you only have a slow charger and have to wait till the next day like I did), but like any toy, they get boring once you've played with them too much.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I had one of those and it absolutely did float, albeit with most of the thing under water. It really wasn't made to get wet, the battery compartment wasn't very well insulated. I ended up playing with it mostly on a concrete slab, where it worked well. The street was too gravely for it to work too well and it would tear up the skirt. I stuck it in the bathtub once just to test the 'on water' thing but never went to a lake.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

The battery barely lasted anyway, and if you took it on an actual lake you could go out of range pretty quickly. And then what? Find a boat or hope for some good wind.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Say what you want, that thing was way better than the magazine ads for the go-cart sized hovercraft (plans only of course) that I also bought and sent away for because I was a sucker.

It was never built, obviously.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Bhodi posted:

I had one of those and it absolutely did float, albeit with most of the thing under water. It really wasn't made to get wet, the battery compartment wasn't very well insulated. I ended up playing with it mostly on a concrete slab, where it worked well. The street was too gravely for it to work too well and it would tear up the skirt. I stuck it in the bathtub once just to test the 'on water' thing but never went to a lake.

The story doesn't seem that implausible then, especially since he said it didn't go under immediately. Manufacturing or assembly defect lets excess water in, gets caught in an eddy and gets swamped, angry river god smites child of man for his hubris, etc.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Tiggum posted:

That's perfectly fine though, because they're really only fun for about as long as it takes to damage them. You can get some extra fun out of them if you only have one set of batteries and have to wait to recharge between uses (especially if you only have a slow charger and have to wait till the next day like I did), but like any toy, they get boring once you've played with them too much.

Man, half the fun of an RC car is figuring out how to zip tie and duct tape together all the battle damage you've taken from launching off sick ramps all day.

Naganted
Jul 22, 2007

Indistinct Gibberish.
Toilet Rascal

Triarii posted:

Man, half the fun of an RC car is figuring out how to zip tie and duct tape together all the battle damage you've taken from launching off sick ramps all day.

This man speaks the truth. I had a Fast Traxx or whatever the hell that they were called, and before it was 'retired' the thing looked like something Mad Max would of been proud of. Guess the schadenfreude would be that I had it ever since I was 11, did all sorts of weird stunts with it, and it only acquired mostly structural damage. After much begging when my 5 year old son at the time managed to dig it out from who knows where in my place, I let him play with it. 3 minutes later it's missing a wheel, the tracks are ripped off, he's pulled the body off, and the cat is now mortified to step into the house.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
I still have that hovercraft somewhere at my parents house. I'm going to dig it out next time I'm home and retro fit it with Li-ion batteries, then probably sink it on the pond nearby.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
FailArmy's on a roll; they've already got fails of the month up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8iDv5rALnk

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

ahahha those parts of the cat video, here it is in full:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjmaNSM3Sdw

"if you have kids, especially bad kids, you should let him play with them"

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

ol qwerty bastard posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Post Your Favorite (or Request) > Schadenfreude thread: Sorry about your cock, man

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

The guy continuously passing out from fear at the end is fantastic.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Palpek posted:

That cat owns.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I love the dude who pulled a Robert Baratheon.

Also, why wouldn't the woman with the bigass titties just slap the gently caress out of that cat that kept biting her? Shooing it away obviously wasn't doing anything.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yJqqdinF0M

No one spoil this for me, I don't care if it's fake or not. :allears:

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:

Handsome Ralph posted:

America's Team!

Doubt it's fake, looks/sounds like a Cowboys fan to me.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
If it's fake, that's a hell of a lot of property damage for something fake. Love the way the counter comes right off - very much a cheap McMansion, I'm guessing.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

VanSandman posted:

If it's fake, that's a hell of a lot of property damage for something fake. Love the way the counter comes right off - very much a cheap McMansion, I'm guessing.

looks exactly like housing built exactly for that type of student

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Handsome Ralph posted:

Where's the fish? Where's the fish? I'm gonna bite its loving head off! AHhHHH!!! :supaburn:

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Handsome Ralph posted:

What a loving manchild, Jesus. I have family who is serious sports fans but this is batshit.

I am willing to bet other than football there is absolutely nothing in this dude's life he is equally as passionate about. Like he would miss the birth of his own child (if he ever had sex) for a football game.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

13Pandora13 posted:

What a loving manchild, Jesus. I have family who is serious sports fans but this is batshit.

I am willing to bet other than football there is absolutely nothing in this dude's life he is equally as passionate about. Like he would miss the birth of his own child (if he ever had sex) for a football game.

he could have all his money on the game

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Hulebr00670065006e posted:

Then it's probably not wise to cause thousands of dollars worth of damages if he lost all his money :v:

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

The Door Frame posted:

Then it's probably not wise to cause thousands of dollars worth of damages if he lost all his money :v:

Judging by how easy it was to tear down probably more like tens of dollars :eng101:

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Those poor guitars :(

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Ragequit posted:

Not exactly scooden'n'froody, but it sure is something:

Guy has bike stolen and reacts oddly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUHrjyewJBQ

This is a common thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZR4RdCBlOw

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Palpek posted:

Jeez, just take your broken cat to the shelter if you don't want to kill it yourself.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

BigFatFlyingBloke posted:

Judging by how easy it was to tear down probably more like tens of dollars :eng101:

That counter did look like it was made out of load bearing dry wall....

Tiny
Oct 26, 2003
My leg hurts....

Jesus H Christ either call the cops or punch him in the face and take your property back. The schadenfreude here is that someone, somewhere, has this poor bastard's balls in a glass jar just when he needs them.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Hulebr00670065006e posted:

Compulsive gambling would make this worse, not better.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
It's back.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Flabnastics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU