Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill
Game is 20% off on GMG (I think for the rest of today). I went back a few pages and didn't see it posted so thought I'd share. This makes it $47.99 instead of $59.99

http://www.greenmangaming.com/vip/

Need to be logged in to see it. Debating if I want to be a masochist and preorder it so I can nerdpserg all over the place when it doesn't meet my expectations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Drifter posted:

I'm not sure there's much crossover between Baldur's Gate and WoW. Like, I know of imoen, but know nothing about Wow or that character, so to me Imoen is the worse of the two.

Well, let me put it this way. Imoen isn't the worst character in either of the games she appears in, whereas Med'an (I wish I didn't know that name) is far and away the stupidest character that has ever been associated with a Blizzard franchise. He's basically Kai Leng, but a good guy and a thousand percent more Mary Sue.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Shugojin posted:

It is expected to be not at all moddable. It is probable that people will go to a lot of effort and make some small tweaks in the future but it will take a while. Also those people will be very weird and so whatever they make will be 100% awful in every way.
This is probably the reason that for the first time ever I'll be getting a Bioware RPG on console instead of PC, since my old rig is starting to get a bit long in the tooth and with the (probable) lack of mods.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Sylphosaurus posted:

This is probably the reason that for the first time ever I'll be getting a Bioware RPG on console instead of PC, since my old rig is starting to get a bit long in the tooth and with the (probable) lack of mods.

I'd say the lack of mods is because most people didn't bother making them for DA:O, what with how complex they had gotten, not to mention how awful most of them were when they did come out. I mean not just awful in terms of "this is a terrible thing made by terrible humans" but "these people put little to no effort into this and it still runs and plays like crap" I sincerely doubt, at this point, that modding will have any kind of presence for most RPGs in the future, beyond possibly the Elder Scrolls series, at this rate.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Josef bugman posted:

Now I am very glad that I never had a good enough computer/was too young to play any of the Baldurs gates.

BG2 is the best game Bioware ever made and the writing is at worst equal to their recent output.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Batham posted:

There are no mod tools available for frostbite since it's deemed too professional for modders to deal with. I'm not making this up.
That Dice couldn't release a toolset because it would be too complex for modders was just something a corporate suit from EA said during the whole "Battlefield 3 will be unmoddable"-debacle and was blown way out of proportion by gaming news websites.
While that statement was obvious poorly worded, it probably is true that Frostbite's toolchain isn't designed to be used on your standard gaming rig.

More importantly though: Dice couldn't release a toolset of sorts due to the licenses of the various middleware Frostbite uses.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
The Elder Scrolls series gets so many mods for two reasons I believe. The first is that the open world design makes it easy to make changes where you want and add things to the world without requiring a lot of overhead in terms of integration. The second is that the modding tools make it so drat easy to make your changes and combine them with other people's into one experience.

More story-focused games like the Dragon Age or The Witcher don't lend themselves to such things. Also now, there is an active hostility towards modders from the people in EA who would much rather nickle and dime you for more content instead of letting your download mods made by other people.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Archimago posted:

Game is 20% off on GMG (I think for the rest of today). I went back a few pages and didn't see it posted so thought I'd share. This makes it $47.99 instead of $59.99

http://www.greenmangaming.com/vip/

Need to be logged in to see it. Debating if I want to be a masochist and preorder it so I can nerdpserg all over the place when it doesn't meet my expectations.

Also, it's 31% off on Gamesrocket, putting it at 44 euros instead of 64. Is that a good site? I'm tempted to preorder there.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

Inverness posted:

The Elder Scrolls series gets so many mods for two reasons I believe. The first is that the open world design makes it easy to make changes where you want and add things to the world without requiring a lot of overhead in terms of integration. The second is that the modding tools make it so drat easy to make your changes and combine them with other people's into one experience.

More story-focused games like the Dragon Age or The Witcher don't lend themselves to such things. Also now, there is an active hostility towards modders from the people in EA who would much rather nickle and dime you for more content instead of letting your download mods made by other people.

Also, while Bethesda does a good job of making interesting worlds to explore, the gameplay systems are usually either actively bad (Oblivion's level-scaling, Skyrim's magic system) or horribly shallow, so there's a lot of room for modders to expand and tweak. The Elder Scrolls is wide but not deep, and the talented, non perverted models can fill in a lot of that depth.

What I would really like would be an actual Neverwinter Nights 3; that is a game specifically designed for modding and for creating new stories. For all the creepiness typically associated with modding(and Bioware's fanbase) a lot of genuinely good work came out of the Neverwinter Nights community.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Walrus Pete posted:

If you think Imoen is anywhere near as bad as that piece of poo poo from the WoW comics then you either know nothing about him or you have a really weird hate-boner for Imoen. Nothing about her even approaches that kind of garbage (unless you include mods, but that'd be silly)

You just made me remember that there's an Imoen romance mod, ick...

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
I never thought Skyrim's magic system was bad, in fact I liked it more than the system in Morrowind and Oblivion. I don't like having tons of similar spells, I'd rather have a few that are distinct. The same goes for enchantments.

Origins had a huge number of similar spells. I was glad to see DA2 move towards a more focused system.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Creating your own spells and potions in Morrowind was some of the most fun I've had in a RPG. You can completely break the game if you knew what you were doing and it was fantastic. It really bummed me out when they kept simplifying things. I did enjoy Skyrim, though. But I am ready for them to embrace the next generation of hardware and give us cities that are actually the size of cities and as dense as what you'd expect.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

AnimeJune posted:

Well, I'm several hours into DA2 and ... I'm not hating it yet? The graphics are better, and the map in the corner is a million times more readable than ME1. The spells are less showy, though, which is a shame. What's the point of magical jazz hands if you don't get magical fireworks?

I'm playing my LadyHawke as a wiseass. I'm trying to romance Fenris. Yes, I KNOW, but I kinda love how the game more or less acknowledges what a blatant piece of angst-bait he is, most especially with Varric's quips about how the ladies love how Fenris broods.

But I suspect a romance with him will be an uphill battle since I'm an unapologetic apostate mage and he's all "Lock up *all* the magic users." I turned into a goodie-two-shoes once already to bang Alistair and I don't want to be a mage traitor just to get into Fenris' pants. But the only other hetero romance option is Anders right now and he's giving off serious douchevibes.

The friendship-rivalry system means every romance has two different paths; if you're a mage it makes sense to rivalry-romance Fenris because you can challenge his assumptions about magic and the people who use it (but not about slavery OBVIOUSLY).

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

evilmiera posted:

Wonderful. I just uninstalled Dragon Age on account of it suddenly crashing every ten seconds when I tried to run it. Thought I'd run into some massive error and tried verifying the files, changing settings, the works.

Run DA:O using only one core of your CPU. Get into task manager and set the running DAO program to your core 0. It has issue with win7, if you're running that.

Deltasquid posted:

Also, it's 31% off on Gamesrocket, putting it at 44 euros instead of 64. Is that a good site? I'm tempted to preorder there.
Gamesrocket is a legit site.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Nov 2, 2014

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Inverness posted:

I never thought Skyrim's magic system was bad, in fact I liked it more than the system in Morrowind and Oblivion. I don't like having tons of similar spells, I'd rather have a few that are distinct. The same goes for enchantments.

Origins had a huge number of similar spells. I was glad to see DA2 move towards a more focused system.

Well the magic in Skyrim doesn't scale as well as the weapons in terms of damage which isn't great.

Also it has the problem where lightning is inherently better because it's hitscan and thus the only drat thing that can actually hit a dragon :v:

e:

Drifter posted:

Run DA:O using only one core of your CPU. Get into task manager and set the running DAO program to your core 0. It has issue with win7, if you're running that.

If you had read the rest of the post you would know that it was because the computer fans had decided to not work and so the computer was overheating and quitting out of self-preservation.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'm playing through DA2 for... reasons, and I'm having an alright time. I played it when it came out and was so goddamn salty about everything surrounding its dumb existence that I got about halfway through and never touched it again.

Now, it's like a known quantity and my hate is not nearly as active and seething so it's real easy to pick up and play. I put it on casual and I'm just rolling through it - everything moves so goddamn fast, and the entire gameplay experience is just rapidly going through a checklist of quests without ever actually thinking about what you're doing outside of conversations.

I mean I'm not gonna defend it. It's a bad loving game with a ton of atrocious design decisions and shoddy writing, but the way it's structured and the low amount of effort required to do anything on casual just makes it feel like a pretty chill Dynasty Warriors game with some occasional conversations that are still mostly alright for what they are.

Goddamn stark reminder of how loving dumb the Darkspawn look in this game. It's just laughable.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neCGW_uxamo

New teaser trailer.

Is that Morrigan or Flemeth talking? I can't tell.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Shugojin posted:

If you had read the rest of the post you would know that it was because the computer fans had decided to not work and so the computer was overheating and quitting out of self-preservation.

read the...rest? The whole post?

You're off your rocker, mate.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Dunban posted:

New teaser trailer.

Who said there is still a difference? We all know Flemeth was aiming to body hop unless you killed her, and then she came back to life anyways.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Dunban posted:

New teaser trailer.

Sounds vaguely like Claudia Black but it might also be the HR Lady from a few pages back with a bad British accent.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
that teaser seems to really only exist to have that microsft XBOX bit at the end of it. What a terrible teaser.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

Drifter posted:

that teaser seems to really only exist to have that microsft XBOX bit at the end of it. What a terrible teaser.

It convinced me to preorder AND go buy an Xbone...right now.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Drifter posted:

Vivienne looking pretty cocksure about something.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Lotish posted:

Vivienne looking pretty cocksure about something.

She's the main bad guy, calling it now :colbert:

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

MadJackMcJack posted:

She's the main bad guy, calling it now :colbert:

If she doesn't at least betray you at some point, I will be honestly surprised, as will 90% of bioware fans. Everyone is expecting her to. Tumblr is, the official forums is, people here are.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Which is why she should have been a romance. The reaction when she cares more about her goals than your love would have been great.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Lotish posted:

Which is why she should have been a romance. The reaction when she cares more about her goals than your love would have been great.

Anders did it first

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

HIJK posted:

Sounds vaguely like Claudia Black but it might also be the HR Lady from a few pages back with a bad British accent.

That's definitely Claudia Black (i've been re-watching Farscape).

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Lotish posted:

That would have been great. Then all the closet racists would come out of the woodwork claiming it's a "wasted romance better used for another (white) character".

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

"We're dead. Bartowski's got a gun."

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

The friendship-rivalry system means every romance has two different paths; if you're a mage it makes sense to rivalry-romance Fenris because you can challenge his assumptions about magic and the people who use it (but not about slavery OBVIOUSLY).
Really? NICE. I thought you had to be a certain level of positive points in order to do that. But you can hate bang people in DA2? IMPROVEMENT.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I liked both DA:O and DA2. DA:O more for the roleplaying and story and stuff because the combat was poo poo, and DA2 because I didn't really notice how hilariously stupid everything was until I finished it (except Merrill, since I played DA:O as a dalish elf and I remembered her) and I thought the combat was nicely improved and it felt like I didn't need to babysit the AI as much. They both have their flaws but I thought both were pretty alright all in all.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I decided to bite the bullet and preorder it on GMG.

At least I didn't buy the "new" COD game.

Also, this is the first game I'll be playing through Origin--so much for my longstanding self-righteous refusal to use it.

Does Origin usually allow for preloading games?

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

"We're dead. Bartowski's got a gun."

RBA Starblade posted:

I liked both DA:O and DA2. DA:O more for the roleplaying and story and stuff because the combat was poo poo, and DA2 because I didn't really notice how hilariously stupid everything was until I finished it (except Merrill, since I played DA:O as a dalish elf and I remembered her) and I thought the combat was nicely improved and it felt like I didn't need to babysit the AI as much. They both have their flaws but I thought both were pretty alright all in all.
I remember bringing up DA2 to my NaNoWriMo buddies during a write-in and they were all like, "We love that game!" They all freely admitted the repetitive maps were crap but they liked the story and the characters.

Which makes me wonder, how would people feel about Dragon Age 2 if they'd played that first? Or never known about DA:O or had expectations from it? I'll be the first to admit DA:2 is shaping up to be a far different game than DA:O, so I can understand DAO fans expecting a similar style to the first game being shocked or disappointed about this one. People who play DAO go into it expecting a continuation of the original story - and why shouldn't they? Since the game makes a big deal out of importing the world state. So the fact that ti's not sucks.

...but. If DA2 was an independent game, how would it do? I'll be honest, I'm still enjoying it. It *does* have less of an overarching storyline, and more random quests that build up to a story, but I don't necessarily dislike it. I just like it for different reasons.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Archimago posted:

Technically yes. In reality it's a crapshoot.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Archimago posted:

I think so. Either way I get easily 1.5x the speed downloading things off Origin as I do off Steam - taking into account the way they both measure downloading.

Even if I can't preload it'll only take me about an hour or so to get the game.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Archimago posted:

I decided to bite the bullet and preorder it on GMG.

At least I didn't buy the "new" COD game.

Also, this is the first game I'll be playing through Origin--so much for my longstanding self-righteous refusal to use it.

They have some info about what preloading is on the Origin help docs but as to whether or not they'll do it, who knows.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
And GMG is kinda iffy as far as when we'll be getting keys.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

KittyEmpress posted:

If she doesn't at least betray you at some point, I will be honestly surprised, as will 90% of bioware fans. Everyone is expecting her to. Tumblr is, the official forums is, people here are.

Her weapon should inexplicably be a giant meat sword with an eyeball in it in like one early cutscene.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

AnimeJune posted:

I remember bringing up DA2 to my NaNoWriMo buddies during a write-in and they were all like, "We love that game!" They all freely admitted the repetitive maps were crap but they liked the story and the characters.

Which makes me wonder, how would people feel about Dragon Age 2 if they'd played that first? Or never known about DA:O or had expectations from it? I'll be the first to admit DA:2 is shaping up to be a far different game than DA:O, so I can understand DAO fans expecting a similar style to the first game being shocked or disappointed about this one. People who play DAO go into it expecting a continuation of the original story - and why shouldn't they? Since the game makes a big deal out of importing the world state. So the fact that ti's not sucks.

...but. If DA2 was an independent game, how would it do? I'll be honest, I'm still enjoying it. It *does* have less of an overarching storyline, and more random quests that build up to a story, but I don't necessarily dislike it. I just like it for different reasons.
It still wouldn't excuse the overall lack of agency on the player's part or the recycled areas. The whole thing could have used the unreliable narrator gimmick the first part (and certain parts) of the game used but it was widely unused and the city never really changed. It could have probably been pretty good had they more time to work on it but I'm not really convinced more time would have fixed the lovely encounter design since it's kind of a slave to the level design.

If the unreliable narrator angle was played out like Call of Juarez: Gunslinger then it would have been pretty awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Well actually since pre-loading is activated on the consoles I would expect them to do so soonish for PC.

I'm gonna have a couple days of downloading either way but :v:

• Locked thread