Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, it's not as overt and artificial as if was with Redemption Island and Jeff asking the loved one to sacrifice themselves in front of everyone, but it's still having a really substantial affect on the game. Rocker is basically gone because the loved ones of the people he eliminated pushed revenge, Julie is really lost because of her toxic loved one, Dale first got his daughter eliminated, and Baylor has basically been bailed out by her mom (although I'm not sure the "riding coat tails" thing is fair since she did seem to be trying to make things work before, they just weren't).

Oddly my favorite Blood vs Water aspect is the Drew/Alec non interaction. Just something about the way the blue tribe voted out Drew and then withing five minutes of meeting Alec were all "whelp, he's just like Drew so just gotta deal" cracks me up. Especially coupled with Alec's over the top inferiority complex towards his brother.

And hey, it's still early so we can still get the serious drama we got in the first one. We didn't get Ciera selling out her mom until post merge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Hello TVIV friends, I'm going to a casting call later this month and would love some advice :love:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Tremendous Taste posted:

Hello TVIV friends, I'm going to a casting call later this month and would love some advice :love:

Bring a hat.

Non-jokey answer:
http://www.amazon.com/How-To-Get-On-Reality/dp/0615718272/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1414914277&sr=8-1&keywords=dan+gheesling

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.
The Baylor poo poo talk isn't grounded in reality. Bailed out by her mom? That pair definitely centers around advancing Baylor's game, but you've all thrown out the fact that Baylor did immense amount of early game work to survive. Coat-tail riding (if that's even what she's doing) isn't a bad move when you're a primary target and a stronger player wants you to go forward. She should be lauded for working with multiple people who have voted for her, one of which still accuses her of stuff that isn't true (Jaclyn putting the blame on her, when there were only 4 girls). Having her mom around is a huge benefit to her, but she uses it pretty well. But she was just as involved in courting Jon and Jac. She had actually been working with Jaclyn for a few weeks which made it pretty obvious who the pair would go with.

Baylor hasn't contributed as much to challenges as Wes, but she has had to play harder than him everywhere else. She has done more fighting to stay in the game than Alec, Julie, Jaclyn (who owes her continued survival to Josh and Baylor), Missy, Jon (who may have been on the block before the swap and then got set into a good position) and maybe others. She has been more level headed than Jeremy and less haughty. She isn't my favorite but she has received more votes than anyone else still in the game and is now in good standing which is commendable. To put that entirely on her mom is mind boggling and just not factual.

As for her attitude, has there really been anything to show her as a brat? There were some interactions with Alec and Dale, but they were also kinda antagonistic from the scenes we saw. I could be forgetting something, though!

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

:mrgw:

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Tremendous Taste posted:

Start a thread in GBS posting pictures of your nose complete with dangling sinew and gross poo poo like that. It worked for Cochran and it can work for you too.

Also, if you make it on the show you have to drop references to Eelbarf or Lamprey or "stairs" in your confessionals so we know it's you.

Between SA's Cochran winning Survivor and 4chan's Ian winning Big Brother the nerd sites are becoming a hip commodity on reality teevee. Haha, take that Fark and Slashdot! (As if any of these sites, including this one are even culturally relevant anymore)

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Robnoxious posted:

Watch Baylor's OFFICIAL country music video.
If that doesn't do it then I dunno what to tell you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGdMgJ-OREk

Baylor comes across to me as an entitled brat and ducking behind Mommy's skirt is her only form of strategy right now.
If Muffin bounces and Baylor is able to show that she has any head in this game without Mommy help, I'll change my tune.
I just don't see the latter happening.

"Muffin" is Stephen Fishbach's nickname for Missy from the Know-It-Alls podcast, in case anyone is wondering.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I really can't get into the headspace of someone who would dislike Baylor based on that video. It rules.

Tremendous Taste posted:

Definitely mention how you're an internet weirdo who played a forum version of Survivor. They love the young superfan mastermind/awkward nerd archetype.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
If Baylor being a country music youtube non-entity is making people think she's entitled then you guys must also hate the other 3/4 of this show's casting which consists of models, sports stars, and actors/actresses. There used to be a time when we could literally google any young woman cast on this show and find her Playboy spread on the first page.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Robnoxious posted:

Start a thread in GBS posting pictures of your nose complete with dangling sinew and gross poo poo like that. It worked for Cochran and it can work for you too.

I spent 20 mins looking for this thread only to discover none of the pictures still worked. I am disappointed.

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

The Lord Bude posted:

I spent 20 mins looking for this thread only to discover none of the pictures still worked. I am disappointed.

Seriously does anybody still have those? I've been meaning to ask in here. poo poo was gross.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Sorry, a system error occurred.
Cochran is/was a goon? :psyduck:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
The Baylor dislike is getting intentionally blown out of proportion a lot in the last couple pages in some weird defence of her. She's mildly dislikeable on a season chock full of people who get no reaction whatsoever, not the second coming of Colton.

Muffin and Baylor are mildly annoying. Josh and Reed sorta maybe have potential if they don't go quickly after the merge. The only reason any of them are even worth talking about is because the entire rest of the cast is worthless cannon fodder. It's on track to be One World without a Kim Spradlin unless someone emerges from the pack real soon.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

BGrifter posted:

It's on track to be One World without a Kim Spradlin unless someone emerges from the pack real soon.

Ya, what he said. I hope Keith turns out to be the mastermind this season. And has to vote out Wes to get there. Sort of the yang to Ciera/Luara's yin.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

BGrifter posted:

It's on track to be One World without a Kim Spradlin

What in the world does this even mean

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO

Lone Goat posted:

Imagine a Russell Hantz without the douchiness, smarminess, arrogance, and self-unaware monologues, make him a hot female good at challenges, and, oh yeah, make her a winner (with a big assist from Colton being unable to tolerate an annoying guy and instigating the stupidest Survivor move ever).

Basically they're nothing alike except for the implications of what you quoted: they both dominated their seasons which were otherwise full of unmemorable characters.

eta: gently caress I just continued ressellchat

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Lone Goat posted:

Dull season without even one person playing the game intelligently is my guess.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

Boring without any clear non idiot to trample everyone else

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

paperchaseguy posted:

Imagine a Russell Hantz without the douchiness, smarminess, arrogance, and self-unaware monologues, make him a hot female good at challenges, and, oh yeah, make her a winner (with a big assist from Colton being unable to tolerate an annoying guy and instigating the stupidest Survivor move ever).

I know who Kim is, he just made a nonsense statement.

Professor Shark posted:

So, Nicaragua.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
http://www.sporcle.com/games/zimdelinvasor/people-who-won-survivor

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Bravo.

Lone Goat posted:

So, Nicaragua.

No, Nicaragua at least had Fabio's triumph against adversity. One World had nothing (after Colton's BS went out with a whimper). Have you seen One World?

Big Taint fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Nov 3, 2014

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

double post herp derp

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

Poque posted:

Anyone else feel like Natalie is getting a positive edit? They were very deliberate in showing her interaction with Baylor on Exile Island only from her perspective and I couldn't help but think it was meaningful for her game but not as much for Baylor or Missy's.

I was thinking the same thing. She has a bit of a Sandra vibe. Volunteering for Exile Island to chat with Baylor was actually a pretty decent move, as it laid the groundwork for what looks to be a natural post-merge alliance of Jeremy/Natalie/Julie + Missy/Baylor/Jon/Jaclyn. Keith knows he's on the outs after that vote, though he probably would have just gone with Wes and his Young Dude crew anyway. The Josh+Baylor connection could be a wildcard, but Josh and Reed are just too strong to keep around long-term. My guess is they go the way of Aras and Vytas in the original BvW.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Professor Shark posted:

Yeah, without Kim playing what in hindsight was an outstanding game, One World was probably worse than Nicaragua. It's like they cast a bunch of bowling pins for Boston Rob or somebody to knock down but forgot to bring back the player they were gifting the win to.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
I've mentioned it before, but 'One World' has one of the best* Survivor narratives I've seen on the show. Kim, a recently divorced owner of a wedding store, has to convince a bunch of women to constantly act against their own best interest in keeping her around. Outside the game, her literal real-world profession is to convince women to buy tons of unnecessary poo poo to in order to fulfil their "dreams", while she already is a hollow husk after her own marriage went to poo poo. People clamour over other 'mastermind' players of this game (many who had to return several times before they ever won), but Kim is seriously one of the most cold-blooded awesome masterminds the show has had.

*The best narrative was the back-to-back rise of Russell in Samoa followed by Sandra burning his iconic hat and then destroying him (and every other winner) at the end of HvV.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Anonymous Zebra posted:

I've mentioned it before, but 'One World' has one of the best* Survivor narratives I've seen on the show. Kim, a recently divorced owner of a wedding store, has to convince a bunch of women to constantly act against their own best interest in keeping her around. Outside the game, her literal real-world profession is to convince women to buy tons of unnecessary poo poo to in order to fulfil their "dreams", while she already is a hollow husk after her own marriage went to poo poo. People clamour over other 'mastermind' players of this game (many who had to return several times before they ever won), but Kim is seriously one of the most cold-blooded awesome masterminds the show has had.

Yeah that sounds good in theory, but the show never gave us that side of Kim. All we saw of her was her being a one sided gamebot who would only give confessionals about "I hope that Play X does this because it aligns with my strategy blah blah blah." If we delved a bit deeper and saw her explanation as to how she manipulated all these other people that could have been great, but we never really saw it.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Kim's narrative wasn't lost on me.
What lost me was watching the parade of idiots she put into a barrell and blasted with a shotgun.

Kim's win was a well deserved win but she didn't have much in the form of adversity.
It's not her fault she was handed a cast full of noodleheads.

Unfortunately, that doesn't equate to interesting viewing.

KKKolton really killed any other momentum that season could have had and it was stretched pretty thin regardless.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Jeremy seemed upset about the trade, saying that they could have made do with what they had food-wise, but shish kebob reward or not, that doesn’t seem possible. They didn’t really have any choice but to make that trade, did they?
I think Jeremy was just frustrated in general. He ended up on a tribe of people, some of whom didn’t regard the game in the same way he did. Jeremy is very disciplined. He could have made do on much less and if he had been in charge of that rice from day one they probably wouldn’t be in that situation. But no, I do not see any way they could have survived without making a trade. Zero.

Yeah Jeff, zero chance they could have survived eating kabobs one night and merging the next day.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

Tremendous Taste posted:

Good luck dude! You'd make for great tv I think. :)

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Binary Logic posted:

"Muffin" is Stephen Fishbach's nickname for Missy from the Know-It-Alls podcast, in case anyone is wondering.
Well, originally it was that Stephen forgot her name and called her Muffin on the podcast accidentally, and that was a hilarious enough mistake to be picked up and continued.

Also, I think a lot of the Missy and Baylor dislike comes from Dale and Kelley, both of whom have been cool people post-boot and neither of whom were fans of those two. Otherwise there's not yet much to draw from concerning Missy and Baylor.

Oh, also, the reason that Dale and Kelley got booted it seems like wasn't really because Dale contradicted Missy on the rice portions, it was because Kelley had been lobbying to boot Jon instead of Drew back on the original tribe, and Missy had leaked that to Jon even before the tribe swap for whatever reason. So while Dale's relationships with Missy and Baylor weren't good, Kelley brought her own baggage in terms of the Jon and Jaclyn vote. I'm not sure why that didn't make the edit.

I'm not really a fan of Missy but in her way she seems to have become the #1 powerbroker in the game right now. She's got Baylor attached at the hip, she's feeding Jon big heaping portions of rice, she's close with Natalie and Jeremy, and Keith has so far been just following her around, we'll see if being the potential HII sacrifice changes that at all. Even if Keith did leave her orbit, Baylor still has a connection to Josh or just staying aligned with Jon and Jaclyn and pulling in the singles also works.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine
If you're not enjoying this season, you can always watch this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uZFrcptqZs

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Fast Luck posted:

I'm not really a fan of Missy but in her way she seems to have become the #1 powerbroker in the game right now. She's got Baylor attached at the hip,

I agree with your overall point but its funny to me that you're giving her credit for having a connection with Baylor.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Haha I don't know if I meant it like that but she definitely seems like she'll be calling the shots between those two. I don't think Baylor is going to go independent like Ciera under any circumstances.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Robnoxious posted:

Kim's narrative wasn't lost on me.
What lost me was watching the parade of idiots she put into a barrell and blasted with a shotgun.
It wasn't a barrel!

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Fast Luck posted:

Jeremy seemed upset about the trade, saying that they could have made do with what they had food-wise, but shish kebob reward or not, that doesn’t seem possible. They didn’t really have any choice but to make that trade, did they?
I think Jeremy was just frustrated in general. He ended up on a tribe of people, some of whom didn’t regard the game in the same way he did. Jeremy is very disciplined. He could have made do on much less and if he had been in charge of that rice from day one they probably wouldn’t be in that situation. But no, I do not see any way they could have survived without making a trade. Zero.

Yeah Jeff, zero chance they could have survived eating kabobs one night and merging the next day.

The alternate reality where they refused the trade and Jeff is reporting that they just had to let them die because they wouldn't give up their tarp is slightly amusing to imagine.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I thought One World had such promise and I wish they would do it again, but this time keep the gimmick the entire series. I thought the show got really bad when they went to seperate beaches (which defeated the idea of One World)

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

One World could have been great if not for Colton "Let's go to tribal to vote the black guy out" ______

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

bbf2 posted:

I agree with your overall point but its funny to me that you're giving her credit for having a connection with Baylor.

Well she does get all the credit for her connection with Baylor...

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
I just found out a casual acquaintance is an actual cousin to Parvati.
I'm filled equally with amazement and shame that you are the only people who will care. And even that's not a certainty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
First cousins?

• Locked thread