Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alaan
May 24, 2005

I'll definitely be curious how it fares next weekend. Constellation being bigger mans it will also get hit with some splash hate from that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Chorocojo posted:

40 alternate DRAGONIFIED arts at the prerelease

if wizards doesn't reprint Savage Punch with Surrak punching a dragon I'm going to be outrageously disappointed in their creative department

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
So is the trick of the deck just being a heroic deck that gets heavily extra value from its heroic triggers via Ascendency, with the added potential bonus of going Retraction Helix, Springleaf for mana, bounce & recast springleaf, repeat until all your creatures are xyber huge, or am I missing another part?

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

if wizards doesn't reprint Savage Punch with Surrak punching a dragon I'm going to be outrageously disappointed in their creative department

We talked about this before...though it may have been in the last thread? The next version will have a bear punching out a dragon.

The final set will be a Dragon punching out a human (either honestly, or comically. Think more punting than punching?)

Alaan
May 24, 2005

It's much more redundant than the four color version because it can utterly fail to combo out and still can punch your face in off a slow start. And none of the combo pieces are loving awful on their own unlike the green version. They certainly aren't the best cards in standard if they don't mesh together, but you can snag wins vs. slow opponents while drawing towards your better win.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

Surrak isn't alive 1000 years in the past.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

In a format where Thoughtseize is A Thing That Exists a fragile combo deck will most likely not be able to dominate.

casting Thoughtseize against an aggro deck is not always the best thing you could do.

seriously, this deck's real strength is it's ability to play either beatdown or combo kill at a moment's notice. This style of deck is much more along the lines of tempo twin in modern than an all-in combo deck

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Mikujin posted:

I mean in the third set. But it looks like this has already been talked about so welp.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

:tinfoil: That's why bears have 4 power in this plane! They ran rampant after dragons went extinct, there are only a few humans that can punch them into submission.

If there aren't any bears in the third set, I will take this as confirmation of my hypothesis about the ecology of Tarkir.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Mikujin posted:

I thought the whole point of Dragonshifting Khans cards was to represent an alternate present.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I thought the whole point of Dragonshifting Khans cards was to represent an alternate present.

They are, yes. Notice they even have the Khans of Tarkir expansion symbol.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
The new Ascendancy deck actually seems quite difficult to play well if you're not comboing off. Just look at all the turns Ivan played a land and just passed or chose to/chose not to chump block because he was thinking a turn ahead. The loot decisions alone are going to really screw you over if you don't know what you need.

I feel like the people I see at FNM who are going to throw this deck together are going to fail horribly at playing it. Not to mention the approximately 9 billion triggers to keep track of.

All of this is to say that Ivan is impressive as gently caress, and I hope to watch him piloting the deck again at other major events.

qbert fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Nov 2, 2014

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

qbert posted:

The new Ascendancy deck actually seems quite difficult to play well if you're not comboing off. Just look at all the turns Ivan played a land and just passed or chose to/chose not to chump block because he was thinking a turn ahead.

I feel like the people I see at FNM who are going to throw this deck together are going to fail horribly at playing it. Not to mention the approximately 9 billion triggers to keep track of.

Not only that but it requires a lot check listing for what's in your deck, chances of grabbing it, what sequence of moves gets you maximum value with a variety of uncertainties. The deck is fun to play, I've already been testing it, but it's not something you get overnight.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Yeah I think the most impressive thing is he basically banged this together the night before the Open and was playing it this well. He was going super smooth for something with so many moving parts.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

qbert posted:

All of this is to say that Ivan is impressive as gently caress, and I hope to watch him piloting the deck again at other major events.
Watching the SCG deck tech made him seem incredibly intelligent. Dude's on the ball.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

BaronVonVaderham posted:

:tinfoil: That's why bears have 4 power in this plane! They ran rampant after dragons went extinct, there are only a few humans that can punch them into submission.

And yet philosophers still can fight a bear on even terms, and at least take the bear down with them.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Serperoth posted:

And yet philosophers still can fight a bear on even terms, and at least take the bear down with them.

Bears are more akin to a natural disaster on Tarkir; purely destructive, unconcerned by the survival of the individual so long as it widens the ecological niche for the species as a whole. Once bears have a true foothold on the plane, they will rapidly become the dominant life form. Innistrad is doomed once the bears work out how to consistently work in pairs (with a backup bear to sweep in once something's died).

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
This legacy deck from Gregory Hatch is insane, hahaha

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Pox on camera, and Cedric Phillips is his usual fun self. Only thing that would be better would be having Chapin instead of Sullivan on the spot, but nothing's ever perfect.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
That's an awesome wurm token...

Edit: http://i.imgur.com/CKJ9nvG.jpg
Here it is!

Thisuck fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Nov 2, 2014

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
What bait does a fisherworm use?

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Sleep of Bronze posted:

What bait does a fisherworm use?

Humans.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Gensuki posted:

The final set will be a Dragon punching out a human (either honestly, or comically. Think more punting than punching?)

I would pay a lot for a foil Savage Punt.

Re: sideboard vs. Jeskai, I feel like Drown in Sorrow might do terrible things to it. It would kill the Crusaders and whatever tokens it manages to poop out, and if you're Abzan, everything you have lives.

Also I generally hate the SCG creature collection, but the wurm's jaunty little hat always gets me to smile.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Boxman posted:

Re: sideboard vs. Jeskai, I feel like Drown in Sorrow might do terrible things to it. It would kill the Crusaders and whatever tokens it manages to poop out, and if you're Abzan, everything you have lives.

I disagree. Jen clearly built his deck taking that card into account. It only takes a single instant to protect all his non-Crusader/token creatures against that card. Sure, you've killed his 1/1 and the tokens it made, but it's a situational board wipe at best.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

qbert posted:

I disagree. Jen clearly built his deck taking that card into account. It only takes a single instant to protect all his non-Crusader/token creatures against that card. Sure, you've killed his 1/1 and the tokens it made, but it's a situational board wipe at best.

Yeah. I think Cedric was overstating how useful Doomwake Giant was in the G/B match up. They saw him combo out with no board on turn 5 after dropping an ascendancy. The board wipes are just a hindrance since he can go off late game out of no where. I honestly think the sub sligh style decks would be best against it because they hit hard, fast, and can pressure him to chump block early game. It is obvious that durdly Courser decks have a bad match up against this thing due to how little their early walls matter.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Thisuck posted:

This legacy deck from Gregory Hatch is insane, hahaha

What was he playing?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Tinfins is so stupid, I love it.

MiddleEastBeast posted:

What was he playing?

If it is the one I'm thinking off, it was from a highlight from march and it was a very unconventional u/w tempo list.

deck list: http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/legacy-type-1-5/developing-legacy/549310-mono-blue-martyr?comment=3

match: http://www.twitch.tv/scglive/b/513336808?t=1572m30s

Bugsy fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Nov 3, 2014

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

Yeah. I think Cedric was overstating how useful Doomwake Giant was in the G/B match up. They saw him combo out with no board on turn 5 after dropping an ascendancy. The board wipes are just a hindrance since he can go off late game out of no where. I honestly think the sub sligh style decks would be best against it because they hit hard, fast, and can pressure him to chump block early game. It is obvious that durdly Courser decks have a bad match up against this thing due to how little their early walls matter.

Uhh, no, sub sligh is probably really favorable for the Jeskai deck, they have no interaction and he plays cards like the 0/4 heroic dude, the 1/2 heroic dude, seeker of the way (which is busted vs sligh strategies), and akroan crusader. His worst match up is abzan, without a doubt. Thoughtseize + removal is great, especially when you can also have cards like utter end to make the matchup even more lopsided. Ascendancy is a meta-meta deck; it's super good versus G/B constellation/devotion and sub sligh, and quite poor versus everything else.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Bugsy posted:

Tinfins is so stupid, I love it.

If it is the one I'm thinking off, it was from a highlight from march and it was a very unconventional u/w tempo list.

deck list: http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/legacy-type-1-5/developing-legacy/549310-mono-blue-martyr?comment=3

match: http://www.twitch.tv/scglive/b/513336808?t=1572m30s
I remember that blowing people's minds a few months back, but I thought it was just a rogue deck suited to the meta at the time.

It's always nice to see Ninja of the Deep Hours.

EDIT: Is that a loving Divert in the sideboard? That's gotta be a complete backbreaker if they don't see it coming. Which they won't.

Froghammer fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Nov 3, 2014

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
It's been said a million times, but holy poo poo are all these GP coverages littered w/ technical issues. Never mind the cell phone grade cameras.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Not any kind of stuff. Beside the cost isn't hybrid green, it's hybrid blue and red, both of which do control-changing.
Oh crap, I've completely misread the card - my bad. I thought the activation was {1}{U/G}{R/G}. That makes choosing the effects a lot easier.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Well this is a pretty wonky T8 in the SCG Legacy Open. Storm, Lands, miracles, two flavors of delver, dredge and motherfucking goblins.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Alaan posted:

Well this is a pretty wonky T8 in the SCG Legacy Open. Storm, Lands, miracles, two flavors of delver, dredge and motherfucking goblins.

Isn't it awesome! :getin:

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Alaan posted:

This is your weekly reminder that legacy owns.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Is it related to the shakeup from Cruise?

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
Goblin got bopped 2-0 by Jeskai Delver :(

Edit: it was off stream

Thisuck fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Nov 3, 2014

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Alaan posted:

Hopefully Storm or Lands wins.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

It seems that it has slowed down the format a bit. People are going for more long term power off Cruise than speed. That might reverse a bit as people decide where the balance of feeding Cruse vs. just killing your opponent is.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I guess goblins does look pretty good when people stop playing TNN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hmm yes
Dec 2, 2000
College Slice
Dredge is really boring :(

• Locked thread