Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100 Years Ago

The Battle of Messines comes to an end; the Germans have once again failed to break through, and now pause to reorganise. There's another offensive coming, and this time it's going to be spearheaded by the Prussian Guards. In the meantime, lots of shelling, lots of digging, and probably a fair amount of praying.

The Russians go on the offensive into Armenia, opening the Caucasus campaign, about which there's annoyingly little English-language writing. A large and queasy force of 8,000 sepoys has just arrived off the coast of Tanzania. And there's a hilarious but far too short story in the Daily Telegraph, about a very surprised Dutch fisherman who put his trawler's nets out and caught a submarine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Magni posted:

In addition to all the other things brought up, there's a very small and humble thing that was revolutionary back in the day. And you're likely to have one in the trunk of your car.

I am talking, of course, about the Jerrycan. A robust, simple, cheap gas canister that can be filled or emptied without external tools or funnels was a loving revelation in ground-level logistics - it was such a good design that the British quickly came to prefer captured examples over their own cans and eventually the British, Americans and Soviets just up and copied it wholesale for their own production. And hence it came to be the worldwide standard, which it still is because in the last 70 years, nobody came up with a better design.

God, I loving wish this were true:

Betterer, and saferer.

:suicide:

Also complete loving trash. Give me a real jerrycan any day.

Trochanter
Sep 14, 2007

It ain't no sin
to take off your skin, And dance around in your bones!
Were there/are there any military operation plans or wargames detailing what war between nuclear powers would look like after they fired their nukes? I've looked up Wikipedia for various war plans like Operation Chrome Dome and Seven Days to the Rhine River, but obviously they don't go into much detail past the initial few days. In culture it's just assumed that the conflict would go: conventional warfare -> nuclear war -> civilization collapses, the world reverts to Fallout/Mad Max -style tribalism. Would that really be the case with the arsenals the nuclear powers had, and if it wasn't, would they simply make and deploy more nuclear weapons until they had removed their enemy's ability to fight?

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

MrYenko posted:

God, I loving wish this were true:

Betterer, and saferer.

:suicide:

Also complete loving trash. Give me a real jerrycan any day.

Well, exceptions prove the rule and all that. :v:
(Also, the original jerrycan was made out of steel while most modern ones are plastic.)

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
I looked at the pictures for jerrycan on Wikipedia and I can't tell what makes it so much better than its predecessor or anything else people have managed to come up with. What's its deal?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

HEY GAL posted:

I looked at the pictures for jerrycan on Wikipedia and I can't tell what makes it so much better than its predecessor or anything else people have managed to come up with. What's its deal?

It packs square, which is huge.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

HEY GAL posted:

I found an article, and it's definitely helpful to look at the contemporary cans that it replaced:

It's like a can from the future.

Basically:
- Easy to manufacture
- Easy to transport
- Holds a lot
- Doesn't leak

Glorgnole fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Nov 2, 2014

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

HEY GAL posted:

Compared to this, a jerrycan is simpler (two stamped parts fitted together vs. side, bottom, top, nozzle and handle), jerrycan holds its form better due to the intendations on its sides, and jerrycan is easier to stack because its handle and nozzle don't stick out from the square form. Considering how many canisters a motorized army needs, it's quite handy!

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Thanks, everyone. It seems like the perfect object.
...there's a website for things that carry other things?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

HEY GAL posted:

...there's a website for things that carry other things?

Carrying things is a considerably more mainstream activity than poking people with 16 foot poles.

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
Those fuckers can still be a bitch to open during a -35 C army exercise. But hey, I got to use my bayonet!

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

P-Mack posted:

Carrying things is a considerably more mainstream activity than poking people with 16 foot poles.
and as far as I know pikemen do not have a website

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Wars are won by working out better ways of carrying things.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Seriously the Germans made the engineering disaster that was the Tiger and then turn around and make the jerrycan, a piece of pure engineering elegance.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
If Aders had made the Jerry can, it would weigh 500 kilograms and take a month to make, but it would be accepted for service anyway because Posche's proposal would be just as bad, but also twice as expensive and prone to spontaneously catching fire.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

The other thing about the Jerry Can is that it's easy to get every last drop out due to the shape of the container and the angled corner that the spigot sits on. You don't end up with any awkward little corner holding ~1/4 cup of fluid that you can't get out without doing all sorts of odd acrobatics.

Across a few thousand containers that's hundreds of gallons saved, and if you're talking gas it also doesn't make a stack of near-empty cans a giant, fuming fire hazard.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Trochanter posted:

Were there/are there any military operation plans or wargames detailing what war between nuclear powers would look like after they fired their nukes? I've looked up Wikipedia for various war plans like Operation Chrome Dome and Seven Days to the Rhine River, but obviously they don't go into much detail past the initial few days. In culture it's just assumed that the conflict would go: conventional warfare -> nuclear war -> civilization collapses, the world reverts to Fallout/Mad Max -style tribalism. Would that really be the case with the arsenals the nuclear powers had, and if it wasn't, would they simply make and deploy more nuclear weapons until they had removed their enemy's ability to fight?

I actually just finished reading THE DAY AFTER WORLD WAR III by Edward Zuckerman. It basically is a overview of US government plans for surviving a nuclear war from the 50s to the 1980s. It focuses more on civil defense but there's a few tidbits in there on military matters.

In this 1977 Pentagon report report it states (Bottom of page 4)

http://www2.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB173/SIOP-25.pdf

quote:

"To the extent that escalation cannot be controlled the US objective is to maximize the resultant political, economic, and military power of the United States relative to the enemy in the post war period.

This 1979 Office of Technology Assessment report , while mostly concerning the economic results of a nuclear war hints at some intresting post-war military thinking in its introduction.

http://ota-cdn.fas.org/reports/7906.pdf

quote:

Moreover, the analyses in this study all
assume that the war would end after the hypo-
thetical attack. This assumption simplifies
analysis, but it might not prove to be the case.
How much worse would the situation of the
survivors be if, just as they were attempting to
restore some kind of economy following a
massive attack, a few additional weapons destroyed the new centers of population and of government

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Cyrano4747 posted:

The other thing about the Jerry Can is that it's easy to get every last drop out due to the shape of the container and the angled corner that the spigot sits on. You don't end up with any awkward little corner holding ~1/4 cup of fluid that you can't get out without doing all sorts of odd acrobatics.

Across a few thousand containers that's hundreds of gallons saved, and if you're talking gas it also doesn't make a stack of near-empty cans a giant, fuming fire hazard.

Aren't fumes a bigger fire hazard? (although the jerry can has that issue covered, too)

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Well shaken and mostly emptied gasoline containers are a great source for fumes.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Hey Hegel, I was homebrewing today, and for whatever reason, started to think about all the drunk people you are studying. Is there anything of note about what kind of stuff they were shoving down their throats? I was wondering about the strength of the stuff in particular.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
To continue the "what general are goons like" discussion, I'd say Conrad von Hötzendorf. He was an enthusiastic but utterly incompetent loner, and was involved in an E/N story that was ridiculously close to that one goon who carried around a girl's printer and expected her to fall in love with him.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Nov 3, 2014

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Magni posted:

In addition to all the other things brought up, there's a very small and humble thing that was revolutionary back in the day. And you're likely to have one in the trunk of your car.

I am talking, of course, about the Jerrycan. A robust, simple, cheap gas canister that can be filled or emptied without external tools or funnels was a loving revelation in ground-level logistics - it was such a good design that the British quickly came to prefer captured examples over their own cans and eventually the British, Americans and Soviets just up and copied it wholesale for their own production. And hence it came to be the worldwide standard, which it still is because in the last 70 years, nobody came up with a better design.

I'm really glad you mentioned it, because I wouldn't have ever known it was a german design. I mean, the name in English kinda gives it away, but in Spanish there's absolutely no reference to its country of origin. :v:

Thanks to everyone who answered my dumb question by the way.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Hey Hegel, I was homebrewing today, and for whatever reason, started to think about all the drunk people you are studying. Is there anything of note about what kind of stuff they were shoving down their throats? I was wondering about the strength of the stuff in particular.
Wine usually, although there were those five guys who bought what they described to the interrogator as "a tiny little thing of beer." By the end of the night one of them ended up severely injured, one was too drunk to get back to quarters so a friend helped him into a back room of the tannery where they were, and one was dead.

(The tanner was also selling beer. Ew.)

simplefish posted:

The thing is, there's a view that wrongly puts historical people as prudish instead of crude (but not outwardly explicitly coarse).
i do not suffer under this misconception

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Nov 3, 2014

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

To continue the "what general are goons like" discussion, I'd say Conrad von Hötzendorf. He was an enthusiastic but utterly incompetent loner, and was involved in an E/N story that was ridiculously close to that one goon who carried around a girl's printer and expected her to fall in love with him.
Odoardo Farnese was not a general, but he was a fat petulant little rear end in a top hat who got his country into a bunch of conflicts with Spain for his own self-aggrandizement.

(Lovely buff coat though, in that picture. I loving covet one of those things, but they're really expensive. http://www.karlrobinson.co.uk/Gallery_buff_coats.html)

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Nov 3, 2014

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

HEY GAL posted:

Wine usually, although there were those five guys who bought what they described to the interrogator as "a tiny little thing of beer." By the end of the night one of them ended up severely injured, one was too drunk to get back to quarters so a friend helped him into a back room of the tannery where they were, and one was dead.

(The tanner was also selling beer. Ew.)

Sounds like one hell of a party.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

HEY GAL posted:

Odoardo Farnese was not a general, but he was a fat petulant little rear end in a top hat who got his country into a bunch of conflicts with Spain for his own self-aggrandizement.

(Lovely buff coat though, in that picture. I loving covet one of those things, but they're really expensive. http://www.karlrobinson.co.uk/Gallery_buff_coats.html)

Starting wars for one's own self-aggrandizement was surely the entirely fashionable hobby of leaders for much of European history?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Fangz posted:

Starting wars for one's own self-aggrandizement was surely the entirely fashionable hobby of leaders for much of European history?
Yeah but there's a bunch of documents out there about how this guy was a douchebag 20 year old, it's great.

ArchangeI posted:

Sounds like one hell of a party.
Be All You Can Be

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Nov 3, 2014

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

HEY GAL posted:

Yeah but there's a bunch of documents out there about how this guy was a douchebag 20 year old, it's great.

Be All You Can Be

Have you managed to get any kind of grip on how the casualties in that unit balance out by cause? Obviously some die in battle or of battle related injuries, and others die of the usual mix of disease and camp pestilence that just goes along with large clumps of people before germ theory and proper sanitation. What are we looking at for the "other" category, though? What's the attrition rate like for a regiment at rest just due to drunken shenanigans and the general friction of having a bunch of heavily armed guys milling around without too much to do?

Also, any indications of PTSD in that crowd? You've already mentioned the one suicide. I can't imagine that these guys are in the best head-space half way through a campaign.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Odd question I came up with this morning but say I'm a soldier in a 1942-1943 regular soviet rifle division. How do I get to the front line from the assembly area?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cyrano4747 posted:

Have you managed to get any kind of grip on how the casualties in that unit balance out by cause? Obviously some die in battle or of battle related injuries, and others die of the usual mix of disease and camp pestilence that just goes along with large clumps of people before germ theory and proper sanitation. What are we looking at for the "other" category, though? What's the attrition rate like for a regiment at rest just due to drunken shenanigans and the general friction of having a bunch of heavily armed guys milling around without too much to do?
Those particular guys are not members of the regiment I have tons of documents from, the (ahem) Praiseworthy Mansfeldischer Regiment Of Horse And Foot--they're in Dresden in 1680 or something and I'm not sure what they're doing (besides drinking, fighting). And no I haven't. Führers are supposed to keep sick lists and lists of the dead, but I haven't found any yet.

However! I did find a list of the members of one company of the Mansfeldischer Regiment with "k" next to the names of the sick and "t" next to the names of the dead, so someone was comparing that company's state at some prior time to their present state. Off the top of my head (I'm posting from a library and my notebooks are back in the hostel), I thiiiink the casualty rate in that instance was about 12%. If you compare that to the figures for famous 30yw battles like Lützen or Wittstock on Wikipedia, that makes "hanging out" approximately as deadly as combat.

No breakdown by cause though.

quote:

Also, any indications of PTSD in that crowd? You've already mentioned the one suicide. I can't imagine that these guys are in the best head-space half way through a campaign.
It's really hard to tell, since these people don't talk about their feelings when they write. Unless it's a religious writing, I don't think they think ego-documents are for exploring your feelings. Unlike people will later, they also don't think combat is a source of revelation about themselves or the nature of the world that is different in kind from all other experiences. Peter Hagendorf, for instance, appears to think that the things he does and sees are interesting and sometimes he's obviously angry, sad, or happy, but he doesn't write about his life like a Romantic.

Anyway, there's erratic behavior, but their culture is also super different from our own. Even in "normal" times they respond to all perceived challenges with violence, for instance.

Edit: Incidentally, Corvisier says suicide is rarer for 17th century soldiers than 18th c. No idea why.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Nov 3, 2014

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Odd question I came up with this morning but say I'm a soldier in a 1942-1943 regular soviet rifle division. How do I get to the front line from the assembly area?

At that point it kind of depends; in 1941 no rifle divisions had organic motor transport so unless you got augmented from some other formation or took a train or boat you were walking. By 1945 the standard rifle division TOE included a transportation ("Auto-Transport") allocated at a platoon (~10 trucks) per battalion or around 100 trucks for a division.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
So I watched "Fury" for the second time over the weekend and I have a question. I got from the film that Sherman tanks were regularly ripped to shreds by the German Tiger tanks, so were swarming tactics common to compensate?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Somebody more knowledgeable than me can talk about the tactics themselves, but on a logistical level we cranked out what, ten, twenty Shermans for every Tiger produced? So hopefully you could either hit 'em in the side or rear from ambush or pin 'em and get behind 'em. Or they'd just break down and be abandoned. Just a few pages back some guy posted statistics and a large percentage of Tigers were lost to mechanical trouble and destroyed by their own crew.

On the other hand, if you were in a Sherman and just kinda stumbled up on a Tiger in a bare flat field, head-on? Yeah, you're pretty well boned.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Shermans rarely came up against Tigers in battle, given the rarity of the tanks themselves. When they did, it would generally be with the British, who had the Firefly variant that could penetrate all the German heavies very reliably. Later in the war you also had the 76mm upgunned version with HVAP ammo to even the playing field. And even without all of that, given air and artillery superiority, there is very rarely the need for Shermans to just charge at a Tiger en masse, when the ability to wipe out a Tiger safely is just a radio call away.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Benny the Snake posted:

So I watched "Fury" for the second time over the weekend and I have a question. I got from the film that Sherman tanks were regularly ripped to shreds by the German Tiger tanks, so were swarming tactics common to compensate?

I wouldn't say they were "regularly ripped to shreds," if for no other reason than that US tanks (or British ones for that matter) didn't regularly encounter Tigers. At one point in the Normandy fighting, there were only about 35 Tigers in Normandy, most in the British sector. Lots of Allied tankers went the entire war without seeing a Tiger. And if they did see one, it was probably in a ditch with a blown transmission.

The sensible thing to do in that situation would have been to pop smoke (most Shermans had smoke dischargers, and as the movie showed, Shermans had WP smoke shells) and break contact. From there, the American armor platoon could bypass the Tiger entirely or attempt to outflank and destroy the Tiger.

The last part of that fight the tank ballet was totally unnecessary. With the right ammo, Wardaddy's 76mm could punch through the Tiger's about 140mm of armor at 500m. The Tiger's average frontal armor was roughly 100m thick...

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Benny the Snake posted:

There was a huge tankchat a couple of pages ago, you can look over there for more detailed/spergy explanation of wwii tanks.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100 Years Ago

A relatively quiet day at Ypres; there's only a shitload of German shelling while they reshuffle their hand. Winston Churchill has a classic Good Idea regarding Turkey, and we do have two major actions in Africa. Considering how much British forces get talked up and excused as "oh, they were designed as a colonial police force", they've managed to make a hilariously horrendous bollocks of these two battles.

(Of course, I do also own a gratifyingly thick book which is subheaded "British Military Blunders 1879-1900", and it fills some 400 rather readable pages with stories about the British Empire making a hilariously horrendous bollocks of colonial warfare. C'est la vie!)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

bewbies posted:

At that point it kind of depends; in 1941 no rifle divisions had organic motor transport so unless you got augmented from some other formation or took a train or boat you were walking. By 1945 the standard rifle division TOE included a transportation ("Auto-Transport") allocated at a platoon (~10 trucks) per battalion or around 100 trucks for a division.

Stupid question, but "Motorized Infantry" literally means "infantry but with enough trucks that the whole (?) unit can travel on trucks" as opposed to regular infantry that marches and/or uses horses, right?

Also, they don't fight on/with the trucks, but use the trucks while they're not fighting, which is still a large portion of the time and still speeds up the unit greatly on the operational/strategic scale.

And then, "Mechanized Infantry" is that, but with half-tracks/APCs that can do off-road infantry-transporting better than trucks can, and in the modern sense also has things like BMPs and Bradleys that can actually be used to fight with.

Finally, what is "Armored Infantry"?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

gradenko_2000 posted:

A U.S.-centric designation for mechanized or motorized infantry regiments (later, battalions only,) attached to an armored division.

Related; A loving GREAT resource for scenario creation:

http://www.bayonetstrength.150m.com/index.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

gradenko_2000 posted:

Stupid question, but "Motorized Infantry" literally means "infantry but with enough trucks that the whole (?) unit can travel on trucks" as opposed to regular infantry that marches and/or uses horses, right?

Also, they don't fight on/with the trucks, but use the trucks while they're not fighting, which is still a large portion of the time and still speeds up the unit greatly on the operational/strategic scale.

And then, "Mechanized Infantry" is that, but with half-tracks/APCs that can do off-road infantry-transporting better than trucks can, and in the modern sense also has things like BMPs and Bradleys that can actually be used to fight with.

Motorized typically means that the unit has an organic unarmored transportation capacity sufficient to move the entire unit simultaneously, in contrast to "light infantry" which has to be moved in lifts or by non-organic assets. Correct that the vehicles are not considered tactical platforms, they are intended to stay well behind any contact.

Mechanized means that said transpo capacity is armored and usually tracked. "Armored" isn't used much, at least to my knowledge, but it means specifically that the unit is all IFVs versus APCs.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Nov 3, 2014

• Locked thread