Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
started watching Grimm. The concept seemed really dumb to me which is why I avoided it for so long but it's actually not bad. Think it's kind of hamstrung by adhering to the procedural crime drama crap but I guess it brings in the viewers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

muscles like this? posted:

With Boardwalk Empire ending I've run out of things to watch on Sundays, other than Bob's Burgers.

Brooklyn 99 is on Sundays!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

You're history's greatest monster.

Outsourced got good by the end.

Speaking of things not sucking, Agents of Shield is not the turd I had come to expect. Currently going through the last batches of episodes of season 1, and the comic booky multiple episode arcs really propel the show past its turgid opening. The hero characters are still as stiff and developed as the adults on a ABC Family show, but the turns its taking is keeping my interest. Gotta love blasting through multiple episodes.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I did not need to know that about Lena Dunham.

You should clearly watch every episode of You're the worst and be happy on sunday nights.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

sbaldrick posted:

I did not need to know that about Lena Dunham.

You should clearly watch every episode of You're the worst and be happy on sunday nights.

Be careful making it a Sunday Funday thing, though, because a random hipster could steal the idea from you.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
I've been watching Black-ish on Hulu, and I thought it was alright but not amazing. But in episode 3, they did something that no other show has addressed. The nod. It exists in every culture in America: Indians, Blacks, Hispanics, etc. But as American kids these days become more homogenized, the act of the nod is dying out. Proud to see it addressed in this show.

Edit: vvvv :lol:

Ravane fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Nov 2, 2014

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I know how you feel. In the Good Wife a character said 'morning' to another character and I was like, "these are my people."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rarity posted:

Brooklyn 99 is on Sundays!

There's just something about Andy Samberg that I can't stand.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
Then watch it for Terry Crews

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

My dad also hates jews.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Irish Joe posted:

My dad also hates jews.

gently caress you

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

gently caress you

eat poo poo

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

gently caress you

Well it's that or you hate funny things. I dunno.

B99 is amazing.

DapperDinosaur
May 27, 2012

This is what America's next drag super star does...

She works for a living.

I couldn't stand Andy Samberg either but after watching Brooklyn Nine Nine I somehow started liking him. It might be worth giving it a shot, if you haven't already.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
If for no other reason than Terry and Andre Braugher. They're what brought me to it originally, and they're knocking it out of the loving park this season.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
He's pretty toned down in B99, especially after the first few episodes. He's still wacky but he comes off as a somebody going out of their way to entertain their co-workers and make jokes rather than a full-on Kramer.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
B99 is amazing, haters can vacate. The whole cast is so on-point it's ridiculous.

Utopia's inevitable outcome has come to pass. I'm amazed it lasted as long as it did.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

IRQ posted:

Well it's that or you hate funny things. I dunno.

B99 is amazing.

I can understand not liking him if you haven't seen Brooklyn 99, and I can understand not wanting to watch Brooklyn 99 if you don't like him.

But yeah, watch Brooklyn 99. It makes him tolerable in the way that New Girl makes Zooey Deschanel tolerable, which is to say that the rest of the cast keeps them grounded.

I wonder how many people still remembered or knew that show was still even on this long.

raditts fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Nov 3, 2014

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
I'm grateful that Utopia (Fox) existed, because it helped me discover Utopia (from that island) which is amazing.

Thanks, Fox!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Brooklyn 99 is by far the funniest show FOX has put out in a really long time. It's absolutely crazy how good that show is, every single character is "the best character".

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Except Gina, who is objectively "the worst character."

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Irish Joe posted:

Except Gina, who is objectively "the worst character."

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

precision posted:

Brooklyn 99 is by far the funniest show FOX has put out in a really long time. It's absolutely crazy how good that show is, every single character is "the best character".

I've said it like a hundred times, but that show cheated and/or made some unholy Faustian deal to get as good as it did as quick as it did.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

PantsBandit posted:

started watching Grimm. The concept seemed really dumb to me which is why I avoided it for so long but it's actually not bad. Think it's kind of hamstrung by adhering to the procedural crime drama crap but I guess it brings in the viewers.

Season one in eh, season two is ok and season three is actually pretty decent. Silas Weir Mitchell helps a lot.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

raditts posted:

But yeah, watch Brooklyn 99. It makes him tolerable in the way that New Girl makes Zooey Deschanel tolerable, which is to say that the rest of the cast keeps them grounded.

This is the most perfect comparison. I avoided one of the funniest shows on television because I was sick of Zooey Deschanel's poo poo on a grand scale. Sometimes it's fun to be wrong!

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Rosa is definitely the best character on B99. :allears:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Right so I just randomly noticed this show on Hulu that I've never heard of called The Haunting Of... It's on LMN, that's why I've never heard of it. Also it is probably awful. I mention all this because the reason I even clicked on it is that the latest episode is The Haunting Of... Tom Green.

"Comedian Tom Green returns to his hometown in Ottawa, Canada to confront the ghost that once chased him through the hallways of the legendary Canadian Museum of Nature."

Right, let's do this. :munch:

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Shageletic posted:

Outsourced got good by the end.

Speaking of things not sucking, Agents of Shield is not the turd I had come to expect. Currently going through the last batches of episodes of season 1, and the comic booky multiple episode arcs really propel the show past its turgid opening. The hero characters are still as stiff and developed as the adults on a ABC Family show, but the turns its taking is keeping my interest. Gotta love blasting through multiple episodes.

Season 2 of Agents of Shield has been surprisingly good. I was kind of expecting it to go back to being kind of bland. Not so bad that it's good, just so boring that it's boring. Instead, it looks like the show wasn't allowed to stretch it's wings until after Captain America 2 came out.

Both Skye and Ward have been developed a bit, and have actually become pretty interesting characters, instead of the pretty white people with problems they started out as. Even the Fitzsimmons characters, who just kind of started off as the cute friends who finished each others sentences in the pilot has gotten a dark and kind of sad edge to it. Simmons still finishes Fitz's sentences for him, but not in a good way.

And most of the new members to the Shield team have been pretty enjoyable.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Nov 3, 2014

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Wonder Woman is a bloody awful addition to the cast. She's not the greatest actress in the world to begin with, and the nauseating twist of her being the mercenary's ex has all the hallmarks of being a bottomless crevasse of lovely cliché relationship drama. I liked him quite a lot before they plopped that malformed story onto the floor.

But yeah, Shield started to get better from episode thirteen or fourteen onward, and by the last four or five episodes of season one was genuinely good. Quite the turn around from the meandering anodyne poo poo it started as.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
The thing to understand about Agents of SHIELD is that its written with the sophistication of a comic book. Everything is cliche, all the characters are super badasses ("If I see you again I'm going to kill you" -girl who's never harmed a fly), and it cribs heavily from more popular and more competent media (see: this week's interrogation scene being an inept remake of Loki's interrogation scene from Avengers). As long as you don't go into it as a rational, intelligent adult, but as a child with a child's view of the world, you'll be fine. If you put even a single minute of intelligent thought into the show, though, it'll drive you loving bananas with how stupid everything is.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Caught up on Agents. Top tier network TV. I can smell Angel on this all over, no surprise Jeffrey Bell is EP, and people like Drew Greenburg are scripting. I wonder what the behind the scenes were like over the season break, because this is pound for pound a completely different TV show that shares a title with whatever premiered last year. There's at least three different concurrent plot lines and one unexpected fakeout every episode, the characters are competent and intriguing, the dialogue is fun and easy to listen to, and the pathos is everywhere. My intelligence isn't insulted at any time, and I can freely recommend this show to people. Psyched to see where they go with this.

A good weekly spy show? Who knew?

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Nov 3, 2014

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Shageletic posted:

Caught up on Agents. Top tier network TV. I can smell Angel on this all over, no surprise Jeffrey Bell is EP, and people like Drew Greenburg are scripting. I wonder what the behind the scenes were like over the season break, because this is pound for pound a completely different TV show that shares a title with whatever premiered last year. There's at least three different concurrent plot lines and one unexpected fakeout every episode, the characters are competent and intriguing, the dialogue is fun and easy to listen to, and the pathos is everywhere. My intelligence isn't insulted at any time, and I can freely recommend this show to people. Psyched to see where they go with this.

A good weekly spy show? Who knew?

Are we watching the same show?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well if there's one thing that internet dorks can't agree on it's literally anything.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Are we watching the same show?

Yup! Mockingbird, Hunter, May (come on, son), et al. Coulson has had some badass ice cold moves. Even Skye is acting believably paramilitary.

The first season didn't know what it was. I think the aim was to mimic the gang from Buffy, but of course those are teenagers, and these are supposed to be secret agents. The second season has more than corrected this, with the right amount of collateral fatalities as a result.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine

Irish Joe posted:

As long as you don't go into it as a rational, intelligent adult, but as a child with a child's view of the world, you'll be fine.

Well, it is for people who read comics.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

So we're doing the adolescent cynical I'm too cool for this thing now? On a forum? About TV?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Shageletic posted:

So we're doing the adolescent cynical I'm too cool for this thing now? On a forum? About TV?

TVIV doing that predates TVIV itself.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ugh but you'd think people would outgrow that poo poo eventually.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

:smug: Like some people should outgrow comic books televisions? :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Shageletic posted:

Ugh but you'd think people would outgrow that poo poo eventually.

In this echo chamber? Are you kidding?

• Locked thread