Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Sjonkel posted:

A Swedish channel basically did that show, they went to some of the worst trolls in Sweden and asked them why they said what they did etc. All the trolls had both their face and voice distorted, so they were completely anonymous. But without a single exception, they where just as pathetic as you could imagine. And even though they say the vilest things, they sure didn't like being confronted by someone else. They journalist confronting them had a kind of Chris Hansen-esque way of talking, which made it so awesome to watch.

I watched that show. I don`t like it one bit, it`s very purpose is to undermine free speech. I for one enjoy living in a democracy which can only survive if people have a safe space to say whatever they want, i would hate to see well-meaning fuckheads enforce self-censorship because that will be the beginning of the end for western democracy.
The ability to say things anonumsly online is a great gift, it has made the world in to a better place. Do you really want to lose all of that just because some people say hurtful and somewhat evil things? Cause today the people who get to point fingers are people you agree with, tomorrow it migth be the other way around. It might be you will be painted as a stupid troll tomorrow, think about that for a moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Baudolino posted:

I watched that show. I don`t like it one bit, it`s very purpose is to undermine free speech. I for one enjoy living in a democracy which can only survive if people have a safe space to say whatever they want, i would hate to see well-meaning fuckheads enforce self-censorship because that will be the beginning of the end for western democracy.
The ability to say things anonumsly online is a great gift, it has made the world in to a better place. Do you really want to lose all of that just because some people say hurtful and somewhat evil things? Cause today the people who get to point fingers are people you agree with, tomorrow it migth be the other way around. It might be you will be painted as a stupid troll tomorrow, think about that for a moment.

Also we wouldn't have idiots on social media to laugh at anymore.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Baudolino posted:

The ability to say things anonumsly online is a great gift, it has made the world in to a better place.

But these people aren't saying things anonymously online, they're saying them while registered to an account bearing their full name and personal information, which is why they can be tracked down to begin with.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Baudolino posted:

This is the way democracy ends: not with a bang, but a goonrofls thread.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
If I were to post "kill all blacks" online under my real name, it would be the height of injustice for someone to go up to me and go "Really bro? That's kinda hosed up". The first amendment protects me from people asking me about things I said or saying that I'm an idiot for saying them. Thanks internet.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Baudolino posted:

uh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1DHfOuXilc

the whole basis of the brainstorm of a show that did that was to bring people's idols to them and ask them to repeat themselves when they said quote 'Well played, Brother Prez... well played. You, sir, are a class act ...among monkeys.'

I guess I don't love America enough to be all for free speech even when it's just 'friend of the family' for sixteen pages unironically though.

RareAcumen has a new favorite as of 00:34 on Nov 3, 2014

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Baudolino posted:

Freedom of speech doesn't mean you are free to say whatever you want with complete impunity and suffer no criticism or consequences, it just means the government can't restrict your speech or arrest you for saying something.

Also, self-censorship means thinking before you say something stupid. It's clear you don't believe in that.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

The consensus among leading political historians is that liberty was first invented in the early 1990's by America Online incorporated.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Lottery of Babylon posted:

The consensus among leading political historians is that liberty was first invented in the early 1990's by America Online incorporated.

Obviously, this is true. I remember how terrible it was in the before-times, when shitbags didn't have a safe space to say whatever they wanted entirely anonymously and without any form of consequence or repercussion. I don't want to live like that, again.

It's amazing how passionate people are about the imaginary versions of rights they've invented in their heads.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
It's fun watching people arguing online and one eventually drops the 1st amendment bomb. IRON CURTAIN, BITCH! CAN'T HURT ME NOW! That's a little red alert reference for you there

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Baudolino posted:

The show is just a safe space for people to express that they don't want to be called oval office niggers that should be raped in front of their children on the Internet. Why do you want to undermine its free speech? Are you some kind of Hitler?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

mng posted:

It's fun watching people arguing online and one eventually drops the 1st amendment bomb. IRON CURTAIN, BITCH! CAN'T HURT ME NOW! That's a little red alert reference for you there

Is there a Godwin's Law for the 1st Amendment?

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
Lion of the Blogosphere. I forget how I wandered into this but it's pretty run-of-the-mill believing in alpha and beta males, saying racist things "But who is the REAL racist?", IQ is tied to poverty, etc. garbage from somebody who thinks he's smart. I didn't post the address because it's not really worth seeing. But the name is amusing.

One thing I can't get over with bloggers like this is the certainty that they know how other people think and how the world works, when really it's just that they can't imagine anything other than whatever vaguely-understood theory they've gotten stuck in their heads. Awhile ago I was working in a fabric store and my boss told me about a woman who came in looking for upholstery fabric. Upholstery fabric is given a "rub count", it's literally the number of times a person can sit down on it and then stand up before the fabric wears out. This woman came in and all she could talk about was the rub count: "Well I like that but it's velvet so the rub count is probably really low. The important thing is it needs a high rub count. The rub count is very important." With people like that it's like their brains only have room for one idea, but my God, they're going to get their money's worth out of it!

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

trickybiscuits posted:

Lion of the Blogosphere. I forget how I wandered into this but it's pretty run-of-the-mill believing in alpha and beta males, saying racist things "But who is the REAL racist?", IQ is tied to poverty, etc. garbage from somebody who thinks he's smart. I didn't post the address because it's not really worth seeing. But the name is amusing.

One thing I can't get over with bloggers like this is the certainty that they know how other people think and how the world works, when really it's just that they can't imagine anything other than whatever vaguely-understood theory they've gotten stuck in their heads. Awhile ago I was working in a fabric store and my boss told me about a woman who came in looking for upholstery fabric. Upholstery fabric is given a "rub count", it's literally the number of times a person can sit down on it and then stand up before the fabric wears out. This woman came in and all she could talk about was the rub count: "Well I like that but it's velvet so the rub count is probably really low. The important thing is it needs a high rub count. The rub count is very important." With people like that it's like their brains only have room for one idea, but my God, they're going to get their money's worth out of it!

In high school, Freakanomics was on our summer reading list and it really struck a chord with me for some reason. For a while after that I started thinking everything could be expressed as a function of market balances and I became the most insufferable poo poo. It took me a while to snap out of it.

Every now and then, when I wade too deep into a discussion I'm not really prepared for, my brain slides back to that and it's always the most embarrassing loving thing.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

hypnotoad posted:

Yeah this terminally ill girl is such a pussy for deciding to live just a little bit longer! What an attention whore!

I saw some news articles just now that she did pass away today :( It's sad because now I can't help but feel like perhaps part of her decision to go through with it was being called out on backing out in the first place. Choosing to die and choosing to live are two lanes of the same road!

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Tracula posted:

Is there a Godwin's Law for the 1st Amendment?

The rule is that when someone brings up freedom of speech they never have any idea what it's actually about.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

I saw some news articles just now that she did pass away today :( It's sad because now I can't help but feel like perhaps part of her decision to go through with it was being called out on backing out in the first place. Choosing to die and choosing to live are two lanes of the same road!

She probably said it to get the media off her case for a little while so she could do it without being surrounded by reporters and poo poo.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

She probably said it to get the media off her case for a little while so she could do it without being surrounded by reporters and poo poo.

She maybe should have considered that before she made her death a huge loving media thing.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Flyinglemur posted:

She maybe should have considered that before she made her death a huge loving media thing.

I give her death a 6.2. Good premise, but sloppy execution. It really didn't do anything for me, and all I could think was that the dumb bitch deserved it.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I give her death a 6.2. Good premise, but sloppy execution. It really didn't do anything for me, and all I could think was that the dumb bitch deserved it.

I didn't say that, but she decided to make her condition and her decision a matter of media attention, and she got that. So to say that she wanted the attention and awareness for all of it except the end - which she was bringing attention to - seems, well a lot like the rest of the ordeal: useless.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
But I'm glad she got to die with dignity and that it's over now so everyone can get back to bitching about the results of tomorrow's elections.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Flyinglemur posted:

I didn't say that, but she decided to make her condition and her decision a matter of media attention, and she got that. So to say that she wanted the attention and awareness for all of it except the end - which she was bringing attention to - seems, well a lot like the rest of the ordeal: useless.
drat that's some idiotic poo poo what social network did you c/p this from?

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

drat that's some idiotic poo poo what social network did you c/p this from?

I'm sorry that I didn't give a poo poo about all of this. I'm not trying to be edgy - I really thought the whole media circus was ridiculous. And IF she threw the media off so she could die in peace after all of the media attention she was asking for, that just makes no sense to me. If that makes ME the idiot then I can live with that.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
How come all those pro-choice attention whores protesting in front of cameras suddenly don't want them in the room when it's time to have their abortions? HYPOCRISY MUCH?!

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

Flyinglemur posted:

I'm sorry that I didn't give a poo poo about all of this. I'm not trying to be edgy - I really thought the whole media circus was ridiculous. And IF she threw the media off so she could die in peace after all of the media attention she was asking for, that just makes no sense to me. If that makes ME the idiot then I can live with that.

You really sound like someone who doesn't give a poo poo about it.

(You've posted more about it than anyone else in this thread.)

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

How come all those pro-choice attention whores protesting in front of cameras suddenly don't want them in the room when it's time to have their abortions? HYPOCRISY MUCH?!

You mean promoting the idea that people should be allowed to die with dignity doesn't mean you want to be surrounded by cameras in your face on your deathbed? I just fail to see the difference.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Shelf Adventure posted:

You really sound like someone who doesn't give a poo poo about it.

(You've posted more about it than anyone else in this thread.)

I feel like my original statement got a bit twisted, was trying to clarify, somehow it turned into me wanting nationally televised abortions because yes, that's exactly what I was saying.

So to summarize, sometimes the idiots are coming from inside of this thread.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Flyinglemur posted:

I feel like my original statement got a bit twisted, was trying to clarify, somehow it turned into me wanting nationally televised abortions because yes, that's exactly what I was saying.

Welcome to PYF.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Baudolino posted:

Repercussions for your speech isn't the same thing as censoring it. Knowing something bad might happen if you say something doesn't violate the first amendment.

Also, has the ability to say something anonymously online actually made the world a better place? This isn't a rhetorical question, I honestly don't really know.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Ytlaya posted:

Repercussions for your speech isn't the same thing as censoring it. Knowing something bad might happen if you say something doesn't violate the first amendment.

Also, has the ability to say something anonymously online actually made the world a better place? This isn't a rhetorical question, I honestly don't really know.

Overall, probably, since it allows for people to call out bullshit without having to have much fear of being silenced or ignored as easily. But it's definitely not helped by providing the most awful and atrocious people out there to find places where they are "accepted" by others like them in their hate, idiocy, and abuse generally without repercussion.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Slickdrac posted:

Overall, probably, since it allows for people to call out bullshit without having to have much fear of being silenced or ignored as easily. But it's definitely not helped by providing the most awful and atrocious people out there to find places where they are "accepted" by others like them in their hate, idiocy, and abuse generally without repercussion.

It's kind of a wash overall. I mean, look at how Arab Spring turned out. Sure, it gave protesters a platform to make their voices heard to the world without the influence of foreign and internal media spinning it one way or the other. On the other hand, revolutions and mass protest don't usually turn out like people plan.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

It's kind of a wash overall. I mean, look at how Arab Spring turned out. Sure, it gave protesters a platform to make their voices heard to the world without the influence of foreign and internal media spinning it one way or the other. On the other hand, revolutions and mass protest don't usually turn out like people plan.

You could have said, "on other hand: #gamergate."

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Flyinglemur posted:

Yeah I never understand when I dig harder the hole just gets bigger faster, it's weird

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
Person's post on their own page:

quote:

The horror of social media is that it lets you see what vile, sadistic, hateful sacks of poo poo human beings are, and it makes you hope this wretched species goes extinct.

I've been trying to interact more via social media to escape from the loving terrors that live in my head, and that clearly is a huge loving mistake. I'm better off as an agoraphobic shut-in huddled in the corner and drenched in tears in than trying deal with these loving assholes for one more loving minute.

gently caress this species. We clearly don't deserve to exist.

Same person, in response to comments on his post:

quote:

It's in reference to this post by [Dave], who I stupidly thought was a loving friend but was really just a professional acquaintance who associates with sadistic assholes:

[link removed]

Here's the stupid part: I 100% agreed with the article and the posts other people were making, and I was trying to achieve clarity by delineating how something comes across as harassment.

An rear end in a top hat accused me of "mansplaining."

Me.

As if I'm a Men's Rights Activist or some poo poo.

As a feminist and someone who is incredibly sensitive to issues of privilege, this really loving hurt. It made me break down in tears, because it was the most hurtful thing anyone had said to me in years.

It hurt so much I spent 3 hours writing a reply, explaining how hurtful it was and trying to be crystal clear about what I was saying, because it was clearly misunderstood by those loving morons.

Those loving assholes couldn't even be bothered to read what I wrote. It's just tl;dr and then they pull out the GamerGate playbook -- sea lioning, gaslighting, harassment, strawman arguments.

loving worthless sacks of poo poo.

It's like they're TRYING to make people hate women or something. What the gently caress is WRONG with them?

And in a thread about why harassment is wrong -- WHICH, TO BE CLEAR, I WAS 100% IN AGREEMENT WITH THE WHOLE TIME -- they apparently think it's OK to harass a mentally ill man to the point where he spends the last half-hour in the kitchen fondling the loving knives and dragging them across my skin.

These fuckers don't know what it's like when your own loving brain tries SO loving HARD TO KILL YOU EVERY DAY.

So, I won't be coming back here for a long time. No member of this species is worth one god damned second of my time anymore. No one loving DESERVES a second of my time anymore.

At least the demons in my head are loving up-front about being assholes who are trying to kill me. They don't hide behind a cowardly, hypocritical facade and try to harass someone into killing himself.

Worst part is that [Enid] posted the EXACT SAME POINT I made, and even AGREED with me when I pointed out the importance of acknowledging agency and how that helped to avoid objectification.

Do [Dave] or his other cowardly friends give HIM any poo poo? Nope! [Marc]'s a good source of income for freelance game designers!

But me? loving pile on, gently caress that Jedi Counseling rear end in a top hat, he's not important anymore.

gently caress them. gently caress all of them.

If I do end up killing myself (and no, I don't plan on it), I want all of you to look up every one of those shitbags and name them in a wrongful death suit.

They're every bit as bad as GamerGate. They're WORSE, because they're pretending to give a poo poo about other people and then they harass the mentally ill until they loving open a vein.

Just a head's up: one person told him to stop fishing for a pat on the head that he wasn't guilty of harassment.

From the thread, same person:

quote:

Echoing [Marc]'s sentiment, I hope the stories I posted don't come across as "mansplaining," either. I thought they were valid examples of compliments that wouldn't be harassing in any way (and judging from the pleasant conversations they started, I sincerely doubt they were troubling to the other person).

FWIW, I actually have received compliments from "big, bulky, scary guys" many, many times (usually for an amusing t-shirt I'm wearing), and some were even from patrons at a gay bar. Because it was just complimenting a style choice, though, it never came across as leering or made me uncomfortable, and I really hope that the few times I've done the same it was received in the same way. (That said, I completely understand that as a big, bulky guy myself, these men are inherently less scary to me.)

Now, if you just meant that people like me or Marc are as rare and awesome as unicorns, I'll take that as a compliment.

(One unrelated comment by someone else.)

Same poster:

quote:

I'm just wondering if I'm one of the "men" (plural) "trying to mansplain" or not, because it would genuinely hurt my feelings if I came across that way.

Responder:

quote:

[John], by insisting to validate whether or not you are the perpetrator of mansplaining, you are in effect attempting to mansplain.

Your initial comments were fine, but as they continue they are starting to get kind of weird and are redirecting the conversation away from the initial argument, "What qualifies as harassment" and are turning this into, "Well a genuine compliment shouldn't be harassment". And here in lies the rub, what you consider a genuine compliment is not always perceived that way. And the more you insist on how genuine it is, when the compliment is unwanted, the more it is perceived as harassment.

Let it go.

If you keep pushing, you stop being a nice guy and turn into that creepy guy who follows a woman for five blocks saying, "I like your boots".

There then followed forty-eight comments which had nothing to do with this guy or what he'd said.

Original poster:

quote:

[Jane]: "[John], by insisting to validate whether or not you are the perpetrator of mansplaining, you are in effect attempting to mansplain."

Personally, I think if you are accusing a lifelong feminist -- one who read books and wrote papers on white male priviledge 20 years ago when he was in college studying anthropology, one who has donated his time and money to organizations such as Planned Parenthood that do so much good for so many women -- of "mansplaining," maybe, just MAYBE, your definition is too broad.

The reason I wanted to know if the mansplaining comment was directed at me is because, if it was, it is literally THE MOST INSULTING THING anyone has said to me in years. (Considering that I've had pro-GG assholes come at me on Twitter recently, THAT'S REALLY SAYING SOMETHING.)

It seriously hurt my feelings and it triggered a major panic attack. Saying something so hurtful to someone that it causes a profoundly disturbing medical, psychological event in that person IS NOT OKAY. As such, it's important to try to be sensitive to other people's feelings by thinking of things from their point of view (which is PRECISELY what I was attempting to do in my posts).

"Your initial comments were fine, but as they continue they are starting to get kind of weird and are redirecting the conversation away from the initial argument, 'What qualifies as harassment' and are turning this into, 'Well a genuine compliment shouldn't be harassment'. And here in lies the rub, what you consider a genuine compliment is not always perceived that way. And the more you insist on how genuine it is, when the compliment is unwanted, the more it is perceived as harassment.
"Let it go."

No, I'm not letting this go, because what you posted here is absolutely unacceptable in a civilized discussion.

First, I >>>NEVER<<< said anything even REMOTELY similar to "Well a genuine compliment shouldn't be harassment."

Nothing I said could POSSIBLY have been construed that way. It was ALWAYS framed in terms of what DOESN'T seem to make the other person uncomfortable and WHY that might be the case. I NEVER framed it in terms of intended effect trumping ACTUAL effect, EVEN THOUGH the author herself mentioned the distinction between compliments that are genuinely being nice vs. those that are leering. The only time I brought up "being nice" was in DIRECT REFERENCE to the author's argument because I found it to be unhelpful and I wanted to IMPROVE on it.

In other words, you decided to "strawman" me.

Doing so is insulting, disrespectful, and grossly intellectually dishonest.

You should know better.

Same person, immediately after that post:

quote:

TO BE 100% CLEAR: I was, and still am, merely trying to delineate the circumstances under which a complement is harassing and/or threatening to someone vs. circumstances in which they are welcomed and appreciated. The author says there are "nice" complements and she can tell when someone is being nice, but that's not very helpful to someone who might THINK they're being nice but coming across as threatening.

So, for the sake of helping men (including me) to understand the issue, I wanted to explore the topic intellectually. Consider these examples of compliments:

Example A: You visit an old friend you haven't seen in some time. After you greet one another, you say, "What a lovely home!"

Example B: A man, three feet from a woman who is a total stranger, at 3 AM on an otherwise abandoned street, says, "Nice boobs."

Example A is a compliment that is clearly not harassment. Example B is technically also a compliment, but it clearly IS harassing, threatening, and intensely creepy.

Therefore, I wanted to delineate the factors that distinguish A from B for the sake of clarity and understanding.

And, after thinking about it, I realize it has NOTHING to do with compliments at all, because it applies to ANY social interaction -- asking for directions, small talk, etc. It's the subject and context of the social interaction that is the real issue here.

Consider the factors that distinguish A from B:

(1) How well you know the person. As someone moves along the continuum from assailant to stranger to acquaintance to friend to loving life partner, any interaction is inherently less harassing, threatening, or creepy simply because you both know and feel safe with that person.

(2) The safety of the environment. In a well-populated, well-lit area with lots of other people, any social interaction is inherently less harassing, threatening, or creepy. Presumably, everyone would know that the 3 AM on an abandoned street scenario is incredibly threatening to ANYONE, and particularly to anyone who is more physically vulnerable for reasons of size, strength, etc.

(3) The integrity of your personal space. If the person speaking to you is a good distance away (e.g. someone on the far end of a train platform asking if you know what time it is), they are inherently much less threatening than if they are within an arm's reach (e.g. creep 3 feet away in Example B). Interrupting or inconveniencing someone falls into this category as well because you're imposing on that person's time. The longer the interaction takes, the more likely it is to be inappropriate. Finally, the greater the physical disparity between the two parties, the more personal space will feel violated; as such, the larger you are compared to the other person, the more personal space you should leave between you to keep the other person from feeling uncomfortable or threatened. (I hypothesize that personal space integrity is roughly proportional to the square root of the distance between the two people x the ratio of the subject's size to the initiator's size, but that's neither here nor there.)

(4) Whether the interaction objectifies you. (This is the main point I was trying to work through before someone accused me of "mansplaining.") To me, it seems that the more separate the object of discussion is from you, the less it will be perceived as objectification and therefore the less threatening, harassing, or creepy it will be:
(4a) Someone complimenting your house or car is fine, ceteris paribus (i.e. assuming you don't violate points 1 through 3).
(4b) Someone complementing on your phone, purse, or some other carried object is usually OK, but because they are small and easy to steal, the effects of points 1 through 3 will be more pronounced.
(4c) Someone complementing an item of clothing is where you start to run into potential trouble because it's actually ON your body as opposed to being carried or a large possession such as a house or car. To me -- and this is where I really wanted to hear others' opinions on the matter -- complimenting a notable article of clothing is fine so long as you are *actually* complimenting the person's sense of style (i.e. you are acknowledging their agency) and not the body underneath it (i.e. you are objectifying their body). For example, complimenting a short skirt, a low-cut top, or tight jeans is NOT OK because they would feel like a transparent comment on the subject's legs, boobs, or butt, respectively. EVEN IF YOU DON'T MEAN IT SEXUALLY, these comments would be highly inappropriate for a stranger because they would come across as objectifying her body. At the other end of the spectrum, things like outerwear, footwear, or even hairstyle (to cite some examples I brought up earlier) are usually fine because they aren't covering sensitive body parts and they are very clear expressions of personal style. The better you know the person, the more likely they would genuinely appreciate you noticing the change (e.g. right after getting a new haircut).
(4d) Someone complimenting the body itself is clearly objectifying that person. Anyone with even the slightest sense of social norms should recognize that this will be inherently creepy when directed at a stranger or even an acquaintance. It *might* be OK for someone who is at least a friend in the right circumstances; for example, if you are catching up with a friend who you know has been working out and/or dieting, they might genuinely appreciate something like, "You look great! Have you lost weight?" Clearly, this is something so personal and sensitive that it's OK only when you KNOW it's OK, so if you have any doubt whatsoever, keep it to yourself.

In my opinion, these four factors interact with one another in a multiplicative manner; the closer any of them are to the uncomfortable end of the spectrum (a stranger, an insecure location, in very close quarters, or the closer the object of discussion is to the subject's physical body), the more likely the social interaction is to be uncomfortable for the other person.

So, to refer to one of my earlier examples, complimenting (1) a stranger (2) in a well-lit, well-populated area (3) from a safe and respectful distance without imposing on her time (4) on a choice of personal style that isn't in any way suggestive of sensitive body parts seems -- in my experience -- to have been on the "acceptable" side of the spectrum, with absolutely no hint that the other person was even the slightest bit put off by the compliment and/or question, and who in fact seemed to genuinely brighten at the compliment. If any of those factors were less favorable, however, it could very well have fallen into the uncomfortable range.

THAT'S what I was doing: Attempting to delineate what makes a compliment or any other social interaction appreciated vs. acceptable vs. awkward vs. outright harassment. I want to understand what factors go into it specifically to avoid situations where you might THINK you're doing something completely normal and non-threatening, but in fact you're making the other person uncomfortable.

The purpose was -- and always has been -- to educate and clarify to avoid misunderstandings, NOT to minimize or ignore concerns. I'd wanted to hear what others think about it so I could try to "fine tune" my understanding of the situation and be a better, more respectful person.

And for that, this lifelong feminist was accused of "mansplaining" and got to enjoy a lovely panic attack last night.

Thanks.

Same person, responding to responses to his post:

quote:

When you seriously hurt the feelings of someone with OCD with Bipolar I disorder, learn to expect a painfully detailed and possibly manic reply.

A relatively sane person:

quote:

I've been thinking about you, [John], and I feel for you. You seem like you mean well. You're getting a little wordy because you feel it's important to set the record straight. I feel like it's some of the most well meaning people who are hardest to explain this concept to, because they truly don't see what they're doing wrong. They just want to be nice, and then, when their niceness is taken the wrong way, they just want to clear the air. [John], you just have to let things go. The super wordy defensive essays are in fact what consitutes "mansplaining"... which you may want to google. It's ok to compliment a woman. It's a sliding scale depending on how well you know a person. Think of it this way, if you wouldnt say it to a man, dont say it to a woman. Done. Simple. And if you do say something and it's not well recieved, let it go.

I love the internet.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

:stare:

Yeah...that uh...Internet is full of highly reactionary assholes. He's good to point that out.

To be clear on this post, I was simply delineating the po-oh gently caress I can't do this

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

trickybiscuits posted:

I love the internet.

I think we've found it. It's no longer confined to the fever dreams of MRA assholes and raging misogynists. Long have we scoured Tumblr for traces of its existence but lo and behold, it was on Facebook all along.

We've found the fabled "mangina," and he's also a mansplaining douchebag.

e: It's been a while since the last time I've wanted to smack a stranger on the internet.

Gimnbo has a new favorite as of 00:44 on Nov 4, 2014

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Gimnbo posted:

I think we've found it. It's no longer confined to the fever dreams of MRA assholes and raging misogynists. Long have we scoured Tumblr for traces of its existence but lo and behold, it was on Facebook all along.

We've found the fabled "mangina," and he's also a mansplaining douchebag.

e: It's been a while since the last time I've wanted to smack a stranger on the internet.

Here's an idiot on regular media. A guy mansplaining about how you uppity broads should lighten up, it's just a compliment!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HI4DC18wCg

This captured reaction from the other panelists covers it pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I watched that video, it was the most cringeworthy bullshit coming out of that man's mouth.

• Locked thread