Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Robert Denby posted:

Death Parade, a TV series based off the Death Billiards short, is coming in 2015. Preview below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0k5WPn64T0

Hi Ginko, change of careers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Uh. I really don't want Death Parade to exist. The good thing about Death Billiards was how damned vague it all war, together with the process of discovery. Basically that would be lost with an entire series.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I think a version of Death Parade can exist that doesn't ruin that. If it turns out to be an inside baseball explanation of how the Death Billiards Mythos works then that'll be unfortunate but I think the episodic format I mentioned could make for a pretty good show.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Fangz posted:

Uh. I really don't want Death Parade to exist. The good thing about Death Billiards was how damned vague it all war, together with the process of discovery. Basically that would be lost with an entire series.

I feel mostly the same, but I'll reserve judgement until we know what the premise of the show is. I'm willing to believe there's a way to stay true to the nature of Death Billiards and still make a good show.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Death Billiards was amazing and I'm happy they're making more, hopefully in a kinda Jigoku Shoujo way.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

The Black Stones posted:

Wait, are you saying it's bad?

Most subs of the era sucked,
But Golden Boy's is on the level of genius and Kintaro is amazing. If you don't laugh because of how he delivers his programming speech or his swimming scene YOU ARE DEAD INSIDE.

Not bad per se but it's aged badly and after 5 min I found myself cringing inwardly. I'd call it similar to a slow motion train wreck in anime form. I could watch it but at the same time I think I'd rather go and take a nap instead.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Namtab posted:

Death Billiards was amazing and I'm happy they're making more, hopefully in a kinda Jigoku Shoujo way.

Yeah, that's the vibe I got from that trailer.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Robert Denby posted:

Death Parade, a TV series based off the Death Billiards short, is coming in 2015. Preview below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0k5WPn64T0

Is translating Coldplay lyrics a normal exercise in Japanese high school?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Fangz posted:

Kind of. But I really thought, the vague, 'Hahahahaha. Maybe I was really the evil one!' thing that they did with the old man at the end just went over into vague for vague's sense. If they can make something like the first half and less like that, I'm in.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Serious Frolicking posted:

That is exactly why Argevollen is nothing like Valvrave aside from the whole 'piloting this mech hurts the pilot' thing, which is hardly a new idea. See, Argevollen is boring. The fights are boring, the story is boring, the characters are boring. If you don't count the trashy shows involving erection energy and incessant lesbian rape, I'd say that Argevollen is the worst mecha show of the year. If a show is flashy and dumb, it is a lot easier to disguise the fact that it is poorly written than if you try (and fail miserably) at a serious story.

Don't forget Dai Shogun (actually please forget Dai Shogun so that nobody ever tries to bring it up again)

My god but was Dai Shogun bad. Like. Daimidaler was bad but at least the penguins were pretty amazing villains. And Cross Ange...looks okay? Has schadenfreude value? Ange herself giving the middle finger to all the things through episode 4 was funny? not Dai Shogun. it was just a terrible, no-budget, wonky flash-looking sex comedy and barely any mechs to speak of. It's not even amusing bad, it's just frustratingly so. There's literally no redeeming features to that show. Maybe, MAYBE it could've been something. The concept seemed okay. Alt history Japan where the Meiji Restoration never happened because they smashed in Perry's face with a giant robot. Rad! I'd eat that poo poo up. but no. squandered.

Argevollen is a goddamned masterpiece by comparison. It's a little bit...stock in execution, and took like an entire cour of little happening to finally get to the juicier bits of intrigue and explanation and stuff of note happening, but IMO it's not bad really. I feel about it much the same way I did about Majestic Prince, it took half of the show for me to turn from it being meh to fairly pleasant and nice. The fight choreography was great (even if it suffered from this weird thing I notice recently in CG where scenes are just...much dimmer than they should be sometimes) but at the beginning it wasn't enough for me. Definitely kicked up nicely though.

I adored Gargantia though.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

I gave Captain Earth 13 episodes before figuring out it was never going to be Star Driver 2.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Gyra_Solune posted:

And Cross Ange...looks okay?

:raise:

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Gyra_Solune posted:

And Cross Ange...looks okay? Has schadenfreude value?
So, what did we learn today?
That to some people, rape is okay because it's happening to others! :v:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

You must have missed all of episode 4, where the writers throw away any pretense and just slam the "WE HATE WOMEN" button as hard as possible. Like it stops being subtext and becomes a look into the mind of a troubled individual who really hates women.

Especially the ending. Oh man is it bad. Like, you know my last post? It wasn't a joke.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

I wouldn't know as I'm not retarded enough to watch even episode of the rape show

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Gyra_Solune posted:

And Cross Ange...looks okay? Has schadenfreude value?

I think everyone up til now has been very nice regarding this subject. Obviously it's not getting through though, that poo poo is loving bad.
Stop trying to make it work you loving idiots. It's complete trash and if cartoon rape is your cup of tea THAT'S COOL, just stop posting about it.

The sooner we never talk about that show the better

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Perhaps someone should make a Cross Ange thread and confine all discussion of that show and its depictions in that thread.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Phobophilia posted:

Perhaps someone should make a Cross Ange thread and confine all discussion of that show and its depictions in that thread.

You dont see threads asking to be banned in ADTRW very often.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

You must have missed all of episode 4, where the writers throw away any pretense and just slam the "WE HATE WOMEN" button as hard as possible. Like it stops being subtext and becomes a look into the mind of a troubled individual who really hates women.

Especially the ending. Oh man is it bad. Like, you know my last post? It wasn't a joke.

:psyduck:

How often does a thing like this come along that's so spectacularly horrifying in so many bad ways that even laughing at its incompetence makes you feel dirty? And from a prominent studio like Sunrise, no less. I have never heard of a show that has compelled me to completely ignore its existence any more than this. Even lovely anime is worth knowing about if for no other reason than to comment on and laugh at its shittyness, and this show seems to have found a chasm well below that.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Nov 3, 2014

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
No. We can ignore it entirely, like the responsible adults we are. The whole "cour" discussion was better than this, even if it reminded me of that pants talk we had on the Nintendo 3DS thread a while ago. Like, literally talking about the meaning of a word was a better topic of discussion than that show. Hell, let's say that you're a Nana Mizuki fanboy: Did you know that she put out an album this year and, if you're into J-Pop, it's pretty dang sweet?

Here's a better topíc, and I think that someone brought it up either here or in the JoJo Manga thread: When did the censorship laws get so goddamn ridiculous?

e: Hmm, that could make sense. With smoking, I take it you mean underage smoking?

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Nov 3, 2014

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

They can't be laws because Parasyte has loads of gore. I'm pretty sure companies do that to artificially boost the Blu-Ray/DVD values.

Except for smoking, they don't show that ever I think.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Davincie posted:

I wouldn't know as I'm not retarded enough to watch even episode of the rape show

So you've only seen episodes 1, 3 and 5? Owned

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Vanadis continues to be a really loving weird show that has no idea what it's trying to be, and it is for this reason that I enjoy it far more than I probably should. Also, the OP continues to own.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

Except for smoking, they don't show that ever I think.
There's tons of smoking in anime. Smoking doesn't have the stigma in Asian countries it does in the US; nicotine-stained teeth can be considered a mark of prosperity.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Underage smoking/drinking is strictly verboten, though.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

New character in Gugure is literally elementary school Asuka. Amazing.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

pandaK posted:

New character in Gugure is literally elementary school Asuka. Amazing.

Still not as good as popular earthling boy Yamamoto-kun.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Paracelsus posted:

There's tons of smoking in anime. Smoking doesn't have the stigma in Asian countries it does in the US; nicotine-stained teeth can be considered a mark of prosperity.

Yeah sorry I meant under aged smoking

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Wark Say posted:

Hell, let's say that you're a Nana Mizuki fanboy: Did you know that she put out an album this year and, if you're into J-Pop, it's pretty dang sweet?

What's your favorite song off it? I'm a big fan of Ladyspiker and GUILTY.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

ViggyNash posted:

:psyduck:

How often does a thing like this come along that's so spectacularly horrifying in so many bad ways that even laughing at its incompetence makes you feel dirty? And from a prominent studio like Sunrise, no less. I have never heard of a show that has compelled me to completely ignore its existence any more than this. Even lovely anime is worth knowing about if for no other reason than to comment on and laugh at its shittyness, and this show seems to have found a chasm well below that.

pretty much this, only like a fool I cannot look away because I've never seen anything so preposterously offensive. Even legendarily Worst Anime Mars of Destruction was just mediocre bad and it was over in five minutes. I really should not have even implied a defense of watching it by saying it could be worse and that the animation at least isn't teenage Newgrounds quality, as it is still a bad show and yes we should absolutely refrain from speaking of it further. Apologies for furthering that discussion, the internet has indeed made me stupid

In any case, Nana Mizuki is pretty great. Synchrogazer is probably one of my favorite OPs ever

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

HMS Boromir posted:

What's your favorite song off it? I'm a big fan of Ladyspiker and GUILTY.

Appassionato. It's like a JAM Project song, except with (slightly) less explosions going off in the imaginary background.

Now, what's the overall consensus of the season? I realized I've been watching a poo poo-load of shows this season. Here's what I haven't dropped:
  • Both Gundam shows.
  • Both noitaminA shows.
  • Amagi Brilliant Park
  • F/SN: Unlimited Blade Works
  • Rage of Bahamut
  • 2 Chaika 2 Furious
  • Mushishi 2 back to tha' hood.
  • YowaPeda season 2 because I need my shounen fix and this thing won me over due to having a dorky otaku and a manly man singing a song by Yukari Tamura on the first season.
  • The OL Wife and Otaku Husband thing because it's three minutes and harmless. Also, it led me to discover Muromi on the Shore, which is Yukari Tamura using her raspiest voice ever and that's 10 times better than... whatever was that she was going for in Project x Zone.
  • TWINTAILS because it's the right amount of trashy and :black101:. Click on the Grimm smilie to get in the right frame of mind.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Worst season ever as usual.

But seriously I'm watching way more shows than I expected to from the descriptions (again, as usual.)

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I am not sure where to put this question but since it came out about a month ago, I will say it counts as fall anime. Does anyone know if the last Ikamusume ova was ever subbed? I've looked around for a while now and have seen the raws but it looks like it was just kinda forgot about. I guess that's what happens when you don't have a regular season then suddenly an ova 2 years after the fact :(

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Good Listener posted:

I am not sure where to put this question but since it came out about a month ago, I will say it counts as fall anime. Does anyone know if the last Ikamusume ova was ever subbed? I've looked around for a while now and have seen the raws but it looks like it was just kinda forgot about. I guess that's what happens when you don't have a regular season then suddenly an ova 2 years after the fact :(

Yeah its still untranslated. Fansubbing is dead and we need to perform a necromantic ritual to summon a bored foreign STEM student.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

Yeah its still untranslated. Fansubbing is dead and we need to perform a necromantic ritual to summon a bored foreign STEM student.

thanks crunchyroll

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

kater
Nov 16, 2010

squid squid squid, there I translated it.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Or you could ask xythar nicely.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I want it done without squid puns though, does that cost extra or less

yes I am a soulless husk of a human being, why do you ask

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
it costs more to excise the squid puns because they come with the package

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Look, if we're cutting the squid puns then you're getting it without dialogue at all.

• Locked thread