Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

keykey posted:

drat, my Snapchat list exploded in the past 24 hours. On a side note CSB my wife says you look like my doppelganger, from the nose up anyway.

Everything below the nose is a trainwreck anyway :v:

500 dollar festiva? loving BUY IT.

then put a 300 dollar BP 1.8 in it.

...with a ching chong turbo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Sleeping off being drunk in a car is one of the most utterly absurd DUI's I've ever heard of. "Oh hey I'm drunk and I shouldn't be driving, I'll be responsible and sleep it off" really should be congratulated not punished.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

cursedshitbox posted:

500 dollar festiva? loving BUY IT.

then put a 300 dollar BP 1.8 in it.

...with a ching chong turbo.

I've sent an email and three texts. We'll see what happens.

Cat Terrist posted:

Sleeping off being drunk in a car is one of the most utterly absurd DUI's I've ever heard of. "Oh hey I'm drunk and I shouldn't be driving, I'll be responsible and sleep it off" really should be congratulated not punished.

Yeah no poo poo. But hey, the car might spontaneously start or something.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Elmnt80 posted:

They want you to get popped and go to jail while being forced to pay them lots of money or just not drink at all.

Pretty much. I stopped getting too drunk at bars when they started handing out dui's to people riding their bikes home from the bar because I always rode my bike. The only person you're gonna hurt on a bike is yourself so I don't see it as anything other than a cash grab.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 204 days!)

You know you have a problem when you are price shopping between Amazon, RockAuto, and eBay (only semi-local, known users)- and don't even consider the local bricklin motor (see what I did thair? :haw:) shops unless you absolutely positively NEEED the part within the next few hours, because it isn't worth the extra expense, travel, and time generally required to return this already malfunctioning part. #firstworldshadetreeproblems

Also, why won't RockAuto store spark plugs AND WIRES in the same drat warehouse?! They're always in A and B (except when they're in Europe).

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Cut off when you have the right of way? Pedestrian crossing on a green light when you're going straight and they put their arm out for you to stop? Swerving to avoid catastrophe? Did this all happen in 1 day? Congratulations you're in Merced, CA!

Elwood P. Dowd
Oct 13, 2005

Jimmy Stewart would approve

Rhyno posted:

My sciatic nerve is making driving (and standing, sitting) very difficult. I didn't even want to go out but they just showed up at my place and it was easier to give in and go than to sit around my living room with him.

One of my buddies from college did this pretty often for the first 3 years after we got outta school. Had a sleeping bag, pillow and toiletries in his car. I think he might have talked a few less reputable ladies into staying the night in his '09 Escape. We don't drink quite that much anymore.

Nodoze posted:

Mine is wearing out in the normal spots so I haven't been putting it down as much lately

Yeah mine's wore through at the driver's side latch and the passenger's side rear bar-thingy. Patched it with shoe-goo in both places, which works incredibly well and looks like rear end. Been meaning to budget to replace the top for a couple of years now, just haven't gotten around to it, and it doesn't leak.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 204 days!)

Rhyno posted:

My sciatic nerve is making driving (and standing, sitting) very difficult.

Go see a pain management doctor. First, they'll try to pill you up. Second, they'll try to take the pills away. Third, they'll try injections. Fourth, they'll burn the fuckers apart. It is quite uncomfortable for the first couple days (they said two weeks, but by the third day my pain was already less than that I was living with before) after an ablation, but it is well worth it.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Elwood P. Dowd posted:

One of my buddies from college did this pretty often for the first 3 years after we got outta school. Had a sleeping bag, pillow and toiletries in his car. I think he might have talked a few less reputable ladies into staying the night in his '09 Escape. We don't drink quite that much anymore.

Yeah mine's wore through at the driver's side latch and the passenger's side rear bar-thingy. Patched it with shoe-goo in both places, which works incredibly well and looks like rear end. Been meaning to budget to replace the top for a couple of years now, just haven't gotten around to it, and it doesn't leak.

Mine wore by the spot behind driver + passenger headrests. I patched it with some vinyl from Joanne Fabrics and goop from advance. Its working alright I guess but the glue is not nearly as hot weather friendly as it claims and I had to put more on a few times. I'm planning on using my tax money for a new top in the spring

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Viggen posted:

You know you have a problem when you are price shopping between Amazon, RockAuto, and eBay (only semi-local, known users)- and don't even consider the local bricklin motor (see what I did thair? :haw:) shops unless you absolutely positively NEEED the part within the next few hours, because it isn't worth the extra expense, travel, and time generally required to return this already malfunctioning part. #firstworldshadetreeproblems

Also, why won't RockAuto store spark plugs AND WIRES in the same drat warehouse?! They're always in A and B (except when they're in Europe).

I was sent on a wild goose chase yesterday for two loving cat flange gaskets, Advance Auto near me didn't have them and sent me across town, guess what that one didn't have them either because the jackass at the first store didn't know the difference between ON ORDER and IN STOCK. After an hour driving around checking an Oreily's, NAPA and carquest with no luck I said gently caress it and re used the old gaskets and a shitload of rtv. It worked and I should have just done that in the first place instead of wasting time I'll never get back.

I give up on these loving parts stores for anything other than dumping my used oil.

[edit] Oh yeah, I cleaned out the TB on my Miata to cure a idle drop issue and now the idle climbs to almost 2k wtf Mazda.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Nov 3, 2014

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

leica posted:

Pretty much. I stopped getting too drunk at bars when they started handing out dui's to people riding their bikes home from the bar because I always rode my bike. The only person you're gonna hurt on a bike is yourself so I don't see it as anything other than a cash grab.

Wellllllllllllllllllll........ not really. Pedestrians being hit by a drunk rider very much is a thing - plus there's the fact drunk people do tend to make bad decisions thence riding in front of a car and traumatizing a family for life is a thing.

That said, I def consider riding a bicycle a viable Plan B and I'm dubious about cycling DUI's. And TBH operating a bike while poo poo faced drunk seems* to be a lot harder than a car so there's the fact the likelihood of a "Hmmm sir you seem to have blood in your alcohol system" kind of reading is smaller due to the fact you are probably just going to fall off before a few pedal strokes.

*Not that I would know. I've only ever ridden / driven completely sober.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I remember when I did drivers' ed that they aggressively pushed the idea that even on a motorboat I could be popped for DUI. They repeated it over and over through that class session, and it was on the final test too.

I feel like the instructor had some kind of dark past causing that to be brought up many times.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
RECOMMEND ME A CAR GUYZ

I think I want a w123 300D for my next daily driver. I commute 74 miles a day, all highway. My Comanche sucks for this task. I like old German poo poo and I can turn a wrench but I don't want to be working on it all the time. Talk me out of it, or don't.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

User Error posted:

RECOMMEND ME A CAR GUYZ

I think I want a w123 300D for my next daily driver. I commute 74 miles a day, all highway. My Comanche sucks for this task. I like old German poo poo and I can turn a wrench but I don't want to be working on it all the time. Talk me out of it, or don't.

Sounds like you already talked yourself out of it. Most W123s are going to be long in tooth and going to need a lot of loving work to bring back to reliable DD status.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Viggen posted:

Same here, unless I need it this afternoon I don't even check prices locally. Sure they can get it in a day or two but then I have to drive over there (nothing on the way home from work) and hope they ordered the right thing. Instead I'll just order it on Amazon most of the time and get it shipped free or overnight for a couple bucks.

iwentdoodie posted:

Well, my day started off with wrapping chem wipes around a kids hand and holding it above his head while half his index finger was dangling off.
Look on the bright side...can't get much worse right?

November is off to a wonderful start. My bags are still not here and American Airlines has no clue where the hell they are, good thing nothing critical is in there...only fairly important stuff.

Is it bad the thing I'm most excited about being home for is my home gym in the freezing garage? I'm honestly really looking forward to waking up at 4:30 tomorrow morning to lift in my ~45 degree garage. Then I get to unload several semis in brisk 34 degree weather.

Unrelated rant...why the hell does lavasoft adaware need the last four of my social security number to activate. When did they start that policy because it's stupid as hell.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Nov 3, 2014

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Cat Terrist posted:

Wellllllllllllllllllll........ not really. Pedestrians being hit by a drunk rider very much is a thing - plus there's the fact drunk people do tend to make bad decisions thence riding in front of a car and traumatizing a family for life is a thing.

That said, I def consider riding a bicycle a viable Plan B and I'm dubious about cycling DUI's. And TBH operating a bike while poo poo faced drunk seems* to be a lot harder than a car so there's the fact the likelihood of a "Hmmm sir you seem to have blood in your alcohol system" kind of reading is smaller due to the fact you are probably just going to fall off before a few pedal strokes.

*Not that I would know. I've only ever ridden / driven completely sober.

It's pretty much impossible to ride once you're passed a certain point, but up until that point you're really not a danger to anyone, from my experience anyway. If you can still ride, you can balance and keep it in a straight line and make it home fine. For awhile the problem was cops waiting outside of bars and nabbing people a few blocks away, that's when I stopped. Buddy of mine went to court and argued his way out of one tho.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

cursedshitbox posted:

Sounds like you already talked yourself out of it. Most W123s are going to be long in tooth and going to need a lot of loving work to bring back to reliable DD status.

I was also thinking Crown Vic.. that would be more practical. But I still want a diesel Benz.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I remember when I did drivers' ed that they aggressively pushed the idea that even on a motorboat I could be popped for DUI. They repeated it over and over through that class session, and it was on the final test too.

I feel like the instructor had some kind of dark past causing that to be brought up many times.

On that one, I certainly can understand why they would be pushing it hard - DUI for a boat isn't something people think about as it isn't anywhere the danger level of drunk driving (But it can still get you killed pretty easily or others). TBH being drunk on a boat isn't the best of ideas anyway, esp if you fall overboard. I'm quite sure pretty much anyone else will disagree so feel free to :)

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
There's NASCAR that's on in the bar I am at.

I swear all these guys are related to boomhauer.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone
I have been woken up sleeping it off in the back of the car by cops before.

They just told me to make absolutely sure I was sober before driving.

although that said im a white law student so ymmv

Elwood P. Dowd
Oct 13, 2005

Sooooo AI since I'm having a baby soon should I get rid of my '06 s2000 and about $20k for a base '07 911? Gotta think practical you know. Baby seats n such.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Elwood P. Dowd posted:

Sooooo AI since I'm having a baby soon should I get rid of my '06 s2000 and about $20k for a base '07 911? Gotta think practical you know. Baby seats n such.

Do baby seats not fit in the Maro?

Elwood P. Dowd
Oct 13, 2005

Raluek posted:

Do baby seats not fit in the Maro?

...good point.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

User Error posted:

I was also thinking Crown Vic.. that would be more practical. But I still want a diesel Benz.

Crown Vics own, join us. I don't get incredible gas mileage on my 86 (about 16 around town) but gently caress I enjoy driving it.

(Ever tried researching a car's efficiency before test driving, only to find forum posts where people refuse to talk about mpg and instead keep saying "smiles per gallon"? Maybe not if you've never looked at old American cars, but yeah if you see "smiles per gallon" just read "single-digit mpg")

Thelonious
Jul 16, 2005

At my parents for Sunday dinner. Dad is watching Nascar. A giant rear end fight just broke out.

Most entertaining 2 minutes of Nascar coverage I've seen in years.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Florida fish and wildlife will give someone a breathalyzer if you just have bottles and cans rolling around in the footwell of your boat. Though the one time I might have gotten in trouble for it, I managed to escape getting given one (I'd had 3 beers in 5 hours or so. Not alot, but possibly still over legal limit). I pulled up to the docks where a pair of F&W officers are standing with 2 friends and 2 empty 18 packs full of empty cans at the front of my boat. The cops immediately want to know who was drinking. Me and the other dude point at the 3rd guy on the boat, who tries stepping from the boat onto the dock to shake the cops hand and falls flat on his face. He immediately yells "Oh holy poo poo who put the loving waves on dry land too".

I think the cops may have just been amused enough to not care at that point, though they did get a good laugh at me failing 5 times in a row to put the boat on the trailer straight due to a broken runner and a strong current.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Cat Terrist posted:

On that one, I certainly can understand why they would be pushing it hard - DUI for a boat isn't something people think about as it isn't anywhere the danger level of drunk driving (But it can still get you killed pretty easily or others). TBH being drunk on a boat isn't the best of ideas anyway, esp if you fall overboard. I'm quite sure pretty much anyone else will disagree so feel free to :)

Not gonna disagree with you there, here in the Gulf coast of FL it's a huge problem and people are getting killed all the time because of it.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Elwood P. Dowd posted:

Is the back of the 911 really big enough for baby seats? Aren't they pretty big now-a-days, especially with the rear facing ones?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

CharlesM posted:

Is the back of the 911 really big enough for baby seats? Aren't they pretty big now-a-days, especially with the rear facing ones?

Yeah I had a hard enough time getting a baby seat in and out of the '99 Corolla, I couldn't imagine trying it with a 2 door car with a smaller interior.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I have this weird craving to watch old episodes of Love Connection.

That was tinder back in the day, goatse guy ;D

Elwood P. Dowd
Oct 13, 2005

Terrible Robot posted:

Yeah I had a hard enough time getting a baby seat in and out of the '99 Corolla, I couldn't imagine trying it with a 2 door car with a smaller interior.

Let's keep in mind I've lived for more than 5 years with an s2000. I can do impractical.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Elwood P. Dowd posted:

Let's keep in mind I've lived for more than 5 years with an s2000. I can do impractical.

Sure, but there's a difference between impractical and "literally physically impossible". Once the kid is big enough for a front facing seat, things are a billion times easier, but those rear facing seats are gigantic.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Viggen posted:

Go see a pain management doctor. First, they'll try to pill you up. Second, they'll try to take the pills away. Third, they'll try injections. Fourth, they'll burn the fuckers apart. It is quite uncomfortable for the first couple days (they said two weeks, but by the third day my pain was already less than that I was living with before) after an ablation, but it is well worth it.

My partner got a facet joint RF nerve block last week. She says she can still tell something's wrong but she can do more than kind of shuffle along wanting to die now. Still other problems incl. pain elsewhere but it's been a big quality of life improvement for her.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Thelonious posted:

At my parents for Sunday dinner. Dad is watching Nascar. A giant rear end fight just broke out.

Most entertaining 2 minutes of Nascar coverage I've seen in years.

I was about 50 laps back in the race when you posted this... I quickly made my way through to the end. The next couple races are going to be interesting, because Keselowski is making people who don't normally fight, fight. Mostly because he's a dick.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Cat Terrist posted:

Easy solution, though. Don't get shitfaced in public. Have a few beers, whatever, just save your hard drinking for home.

Saved me thousands of dollars so far over my buddy who can't learn and is on his third DUI.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
JSTARS had to remind me of how wasteful DoD spending is....

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

CharlesM posted:

Yes. There is a factory accessory seat offered which is basically a recognized commercial brand seat (forget which one) with a different base that fits properly in the rear seats of the car. It fit just fine in my 944 as well when I had kids small enough to need one.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Motronic posted:

Yes. There is a factory accessory seat offered which is basically a recognized commercial brand seat (forget which one) with a different base that fits properly in the rear seats of the car. It fit just fine in my 944 as well when I had kids small enough to need one.

Then, we know what must be done.

I hate it when I realize mid-elevator ride to the garage that I need my car keys. Oops.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Motronic posted:

I stand corrected, full steam ahead with a 911 baby-hauler!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
drat it, left my dome light on. Anybody in Seattle wanna give me a jump? :P

• Locked thread