Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sirr0bin
Aug 16, 2004
damn you! let the rabbits wear glasses!

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

I need 69 (haw haw) led cans. I'm looking at the utilitech 700 lumen 2700k which are about $22each. Any alternative I should consider?

The halo led cans are pretty nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

I need 69 (haw haw) led cans. I'm looking at the utilitech 700 lumen 2700k which are about $22each. Any alternative I should consider?

I put in several of the Lithonia cans and I like them a lot. They've got cree (or cree-like) engines so the light is 'correct' and they dim well, coming on at any brightness. One of them hummed a lot, so I got another and it didn't so I'm pretty sure it was a defect.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Another idea is to screw a wood plate (like 3/8" plywood cut to the size of the cabinet body, or a bit smaller) to the stud & then you can screw the cabinet mounts to it. There might be a li'l gap on each side, but that could be covered in some type of trim.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

No Gravitas posted:

The passive version is what was on sale. Intel went crazy. Instead of 1500-2000$, I got mine for 79.40$. Plus shipping. Exactly what I wanted for my work.

I need 18 CFM pumped into the Phi according to the documentation, this assuming a nice and toasty summer and the device running at full clip. A 44.5 CFM fan ducted into that should do, even assuming a huge loss due to the ducting.

Just... I know the 44.5 CFM is a very optimistic value, for a fan that won't blow into a tiny duct. What is the actual number I can expect to get?

Other question still stands, what do I make it from? What is cuttable, rigid, duct-tapable and not flammable when stuck at high temperatures for years on end?

Small and noisy fans that fit are unacceptable, obvious solution as it is.

Where did you get one for $80? I want one for $80!

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

insta posted:

Where did you get one for $80? I want one for $80!

Sorry, the best you can do now is 142$, and that is in three week backorder. The 79.60$ deal was also on Amazon, so if you want to get it at the absolute cheapest, you can keep on checking. It keeps coming and going. No shipping outside from the USA on either deal, but I'm using a forwarding service. Some places will sell it for 150$, not sure if they are sold out yet.

Here is the 142$: http://www.amazon.com/Intel-BC31S1P-Xeon-31S1P-Coprocessor/dp/B00OMCB4JI/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1414821184&sr=8-9&keywords=xeon+phi

Here is the 150$. Shipping works out of the USA... for 60$. Ouch. http://www.advancedclustering.com/products/phigpu-systems/special-promotion-save-90-intel-xeon-phi/

There is also an option for 125$ each, if you buy 10 or more, but... well...

Keep in mind: You need to cool it yourself, most computers won't even let it turn on, most motherboard won't recognize it, you likely need Linux to get anywhere far, you need Intel's compilers to make it run anywhere near "fast" and the thing weights a kilogram and a bit...

On topic: Going with 80mm fan strapped to the exhaust. It will pull air through the Xeon and out of the case, this in addition to a small push fan within the case. If that does not work well enough, I will let the big fan push the air into the case with the small fan pulling. The datasheet says I can do that and my case is very well ventilated. I may avoid most ducting that way. Otherwise I will get a bigger fan and duct down.

Thanks for help, everyone. I think I'm good from here.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

melon cat fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Mar 16, 2019

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The thing is meant to be hung, right? How do they expect you to do it.

I would do the lag bolts plus toggle bolts, and use big rear end washers on all of them.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

The thing is meant to be hung, right? How do they expect you to do it.

I would do the lag bolts plus toggle bolts, and use big rear end washers on all of them.
Yes, it is meant to be hung. The larger bolts they provided go into a fixture that's in each of the cabinet's corners. And the assembly instructions seem to assume that there are either usable studs in those areas, or that your drywall isn't crap quality.

The washers are a great idea, but I don't really feel comfortable using this particular unit. I've been doing a lot of work on the bathroom, and I can say with confidence that the drywall shouldn't be trusted to support that kind of weight. It'd be different story if the stud in the middle could be utilized, but I think I'm better off finding a cabinet that allows for that.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Nov 1, 2014

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Replace the backing material (which is probably MDF, medium-density fiberboard, and should not be trusted with basically anything) with some plywood. You can get a 2'x4' sheet of sanded plywood from Home Depot or the like and they can cut it down to size for you, if you don't have the appropriate tools.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'm trying to replace a piece of weather stripping on our exterior door, but I'm feeling like a moron because I can't get this loving poo poo to go into the kerf at all. It shouldn't be very difficult, right? I've thought about using a screwdriver to "persuade" the stripping, but I don't want to damage it, either. Any other suggestions?

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
I'm gonna hit you until candy comes out.
So someone in the house I bought took down some wallpaper and didn't clean the glue off before painting over it. Now I have awesome textured walls I want to paint. How do I get rid of that? Is there something easy that will take the paint off or cover it evenly? Or just sand the poo poo out of it?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

melon cat posted:

Yes, it is meant to be hung. The larger bolts they provided go into a fixture that's in each of the cabinet's corners. And the assembly instructions seem to assume that there are either usable studs in those areas, or that your drywall isn't crap quality.

The washers are a great idea, but I don't really feel comfortable using this particular unit. I've been doing a lot of work on the bathroom, and I can say with confidence that the drywall shouldn't be trusted to support that kind of weight. It'd be different story if the stud in the middle could be utilized, but I think I'm better off finding a cabinet that allows for that.

Make a French cleat. Top portion will be screwed to the frame. Bottom portion can be screwed to the stud in the center and fastened with appropriate toggles on the ends.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

hooah posted:

I'm trying to replace a piece of weather stripping on our exterior door, but I'm feeling like a moron because I can't get this loving poo poo to go into the kerf at all. It shouldn't be very difficult, right? I've thought about using a screwdriver to "persuade" the stripping, but I don't want to damage it, either. Any other suggestions?

You should be able to press weatherstripping into a kerf with just your hands. What's the problem? Too wide?

Panthrax posted:

So someone in the house I bought took down some wallpaper and didn't clean the glue off before painting over it. Now I have awesome textured walls I want to paint. How do I get rid of that? Is there something easy that will take the paint off or cover it evenly? Or just sand the poo poo out of it?

Sand it and use wallpaper paste remover would be my suggestion. You could also float over it with drywall mud.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
EDIT: Wrong thread. Disregard this dumb post.

polyfractal
Dec 20, 2004

Unwind my riddle.
Just moved to upstate NY and am living in a drafty, old farmhouse. For the last week I've been caulking seams, filling big gaps with foam, replacing door sweeps and weatherstripping, etc. But I'm not sure what to do about the backdoor. The weather strip is a vinyl "V" type and still in good condition, it doesn't need replacing. The problem is that the door doesn't really fit the frame. The frame is a bit too large, and being an old farmhouse, not quite level or square.

Which means the weatherstrip contacts the door towards the bottom, but as you move to the top, a gap forms. I have a piece of foam weatherstrip on the door itself for now, but it is already tearing.

Thoughts? The landlord suggested I screw a piece of wood to the outside and place a strip of weatherstrip on that, so it butts up flush to the front of the door. This seems...not optimal. It'll also be ugly as hell and get in the way of the handle.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Can you pull the trim and shim the door frame.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Two of the center legs on my bed have broken. I'm trying to find the best way to fix them.

Here's how it should look:

Here's how the two broken ones attach:

As you can see in the close-up, the metal dealie that screws into the wooden leg so that a screw can be...uhh...screwed into it has worn away the wood, so it just slides in and out freely:

Here's the metal dealie: (I know they havea name, I just ca't remember what it is right now)

Should I fill in the hole with wood putty, then after it dries, just drill a new pilot hole for the dealie and screw it back in? Maybe also use a glue of some sort?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

polyfractal posted:

Just moved to upstate NY and am living in a drafty, old farmhouse. For the last week I've been caulking seams, filling big gaps with foam, replacing door sweeps and weatherstripping, etc. But I'm not sure what to do about the backdoor. The weather strip is a vinyl "V" type and still in good condition, it doesn't need replacing. The problem is that the door doesn't really fit the frame. The frame is a bit too large, and being an old farmhouse, not quite level or square.

Which means the weatherstrip contacts the door towards the bottom, but as you move to the top, a gap forms. I have a piece of foam weatherstrip on the door itself for now, but it is already tearing.

Thoughts? The landlord suggested I screw a piece of wood to the outside and place a strip of weatherstrip on that, so it butts up flush to the front of the door. This seems...not optimal. It'll also be ugly as hell and get in the way of the handle.

How bad a gap are we talking here? I don't think you will need to mount a second board. Remounting the frame is an option, but there exist small frame-mounted weather strips that should work as long as the frame still covers all the way around the door.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
DrBouvenstein- That metal thingy is called a threaded insert (I learned that many, many pages back in this very thread!). Is it at all possible for you to pick up some decent quality lumber of the same size/dimensions and just create some new legs? That way, you'd be able to just drill a hole, pop in the threaded insert, and it'd be a more long term, effective fix.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Nov 2, 2014

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

DrBouvenstein posted:

Here's the metal dealie: (I know they havea name, I just ca't remember what it is right now)

Should I fill in the hole with wood putty, then after it dries, just drill a new pilot hole for the dealie and screw it back in? Maybe also use a glue of some sort?

That's an "insert nut". You could try the toothpick trick with some wood glue instead of that wood putty. Clean up the hole, fill the hole with wood glue, keep inserting and breaking off toothpicks until it's full, then keep hammering in toothpicks until you can't fit in anymore. Let it dry overnight, then cut the toothpicks off flush, drill a new hole for that nut and use an Allen wrench to screw it in.

Edit: ^^^^^^^^ I used to work for a fastener company. A "threaded insert" is technically something slightly different. Those are the little brass nuts with ribs on the sides that are pressed into or cast in plastic. But there is definitely some overlap in which is called what.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Nov 2, 2014

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

melon cat posted:

DrBouvenstein- That metal thingy is called a threaded insert (I learned that many, many pages back in this very thread!). Is it at all possible for you to pick up some decent quality lumber of the same size/dimensions and just create some new legs? That way, you'd be able to just drill a hole, pop in the threaded insert, and it'd be a more long term, effective fix.

Technically possible, but I wouldn't want to do that.

I live in an apartment, and don't have any power tools other than a drill/driver. I suppose it's possible to get Home Depot or Lowes to cut me a couple 2x2's of the same length, but they not only have the insert nut at the top, they have one at the bottom for the adjustable feet:

I don't trust myself to drill hole THAT long and keep it perfectly straight. Though I suppose it might be possible to buy a new insert nut + adjustable foot screw combo that's shorter? I certainly don't need it to be ~3 inches.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
The furniture company did it that way so they could ship it flatter and not worry about it. Unless your plans for this bed include "tearing down the whole thing and shipping it in the flattest box possible" I would just screw normal wood screws into that (or a replacement) leg from the top.

And that's still totally un-doable if you want to, really.

\/\/ Most people don't have a little box of wooden dowels in their pantry!

Corla Plankun fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Nov 2, 2014

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Any particular reason to use toothpicks instead of a length of dowel? That's what I've used in the past when I need to re-drill holes.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Corla Plankun posted:

The furniture company did it that way so they could ship it flatter and not worry about it. Unless your plans for this bed include "tearing down the whole thing and shipping it in the flattest box possible" I would just screw normal wood screws into that (or a replacement) leg from the top.

And that's still totally un-doable if you want to, really.

\/\/ Most people don't have a little box of wooden dowels in their pantry!

My thoughts entirely. Reinforce with some 90 degree metal braces if you're concerned about screwing into endgrain (which you probably should be...)

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Yeah, I was thinking of what i could do relatively fast with what i have.

I have glue, putty, and toothpicks. I have a few woodscrews so i could just affix it more permanently, but no L brackets. Should least at least a night before i can get them, though.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Any particular reason to use toothpicks instead of a length of dowel? That's what I've used in the past when I need to re-drill holes.

Dowels would work too. I recommended toothpicks because everybody has them already in their house. I've also heard of variations of that trick done with golf tees and disposable chopsticks.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Can someone tell me what the gently caress this is?

I'm going through and doing an inventory of the alarms in my apartment. So far I've found such stupidity as two fire alarms placed next to each other- one battery powered missing some kind of panasonic lithium battery and one hardwired with a battery backup. Nobody installed a CO alarm, apparently. At the end of the hallway where my bedroom is this thing is above it. Attempts to pry it off and investigate have been unfruitful and i'm afraid of using brute force to get it off in fear of damaging it.

jovial_cynic
Aug 19, 2005

I believe that's a motion sensor.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

jovial_cynic posted:

I believe that's a motion sensor.

Haha man, that's funny. Probably has to do with the dormant alarm system that looks like it hasn't been used since the 80s.

How do people feel about the nest smoke alarm? Looks like its not a total pain in the rear end unlike the beige puck models I've been messing with all night.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
It might be some kind of alarm but it sure as hell looks like a motion sensor.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!
I put some windows into a part of the house I'm renovating. I've got bituminous membrane flashing around the perimeter of the window (top, sides, bottom):

Do I need to put metal Z-flashing around the top of the window as well or will the membrane be sufficient?

If I don't need to, should I anyways?

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Which big-box retailer is best to buy a new kitch countertop + cabinets from? We're planning on re-doing our kitchen, and aren't sure if we should plan it through Lowe's, Home Depot, or IKEA. IKEA seems to have some decent deals, but the poor quality of the stuff we've previously bought from them has made me skeptical.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

melon cat posted:

Which big-box retailer is best to buy a new kitch countertop + cabinets from? We're planning on re-doing our kitchen, and aren't sure if we should plan it through Lowe's, Home Depot, or IKEA. IKEA seems to have some decent deals, but the poor quality of the stuff we've previously bought from them has made me skeptical.

Ikea's cabinets are higher quality than the rest of their stuff. I really don't know how they stack up against big box stores, but I have heard a couple success stories from IKEA and no complaints.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I have had the cheapest IKEA cabinets in my kitchen for the last ten years and they don't show any sign of fatigue. The worktop is another story. The cheapest particleboard one isn't watertight on the underside. If you regularly have water dripping over the edge, it will find its way inside and make the particleboard balloon locally. It's been through a few redisigns through the years, but the search for cheaper production methods is making this issue worse. So don't get the cheapest worktop, basically.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Before buying big box store cabinets check into other cabinet stores. Just be sure to get a detailed quote in writing and check their references.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Hello goons. I rent in an older lowrise apartment with single pane slider windows like so:

I would love to know how I can get screens for these windows so we can leave them open without getting bugs up in our poo poo. I have had lots of constructions jobs but have never seen any kind of retrofitted screen that would work on there. Thanks in advance.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I have a high efficiency gas furnace heating hot water for old school radiators. The furnace target temperature is set to 122 degrees F, which sounds kind of low to me. Is that a reasonable temperature? Or should I turn it up?

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

VelociBacon posted:

Hello goons. I rent in an older lowrise apartment with single pane slider windows like so:

I would love to know how I can get screens for these windows so we can leave them open without getting bugs up in our poo poo. I have had lots of constructions jobs but have never seen any kind of retrofitted screen that would work on there. Thanks in advance.

I'd just get a screen kit like so:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Phifer-5-16-in-x-60-in-x-60-in-White-Aluminum-Screen-Frame-Kit-3021678/202091967#product_description

then use something like command strips to attach it (unless there are already mounting holes or you don't mind making holes then just screw it in place)

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

armorer posted:

I have a high efficiency gas furnace heating hot water for old school radiators. The furnace target temperature is set to 122 degrees F, which sounds kind of low to me. Is that a reasonable temperature? Or should I turn it up?

If it's running 24/7 and can't keep your place warm, turn it up. Otherwise, leave it as is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Zhentar posted:

If it's running 24/7 and can't keep your place warm, turn it up. Otherwise, leave it as is.

This is almost too simple of a response, but it makes perfect sense. I grew up with radiators that would pump out tons of heat and burn you if you leaned on them. At 122 degrees I could take a nap against one of these, so I sort of assumed that I was losing out on some efficiency or something with it set so low.