Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Astroman posted:

I've never heard of Michelle Gomez before, but looking at pictures of her, I'd say they cast her based on the fact that she pretty much always looks evil. Like if there was a female version of the archetype of haughty, aristocratic, evil Satanic Delgado/Ainley type, she'd be it. I don't see one picture where I can imagine her being a friendly soccer mom, or a sweet lead in a romcom. Perfect casting IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Niqsc7y_Ro4&t=2040s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCTPdf87DL4&t=1721s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_ehgvqGBJg (the only clip is decent quality)

You can see a lot of the same characteristics in her portrayal of Sue White, in Green Wing. She's utterly confident, despises all others and has a hint of insanity about her. Sounds familiar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Thanks for the recommendations, I know what I'm getting into, the reason I haven't watched an awful lot of old Who is because it's pretty slow paced compared to the TV I was raised on. That's why I'll watch it while doing something else, like working

Illuen
Feb 18, 2011

All comedy is derived from fear.

McDragon posted:

Ha, reading this, Missy is a downright subtle choice for an alias. http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Aliases_of_the_Master

Can I laugh at the mental Gymnastics that they're doing to avoid putting Missy on the Master's page?

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Illuen posted:

Can I laugh at the mental Gymnastics that they're doing to avoid putting Missy on the Master's page?

umm, it's right there at the bottom of the list.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Attitude Indicator posted:

umm, it's right there at the bottom of the list.

That isn't the page for The Master :ssh:

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Really enjoyed that episode, ranking it as my third favorite of the season. The Missy reveal as noted was brilliant.

Also I don't care about the wave of awful Cybermen episodes, when that music hits and I hear that distinctive walking sound I go :neckbeard:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I was on that street leading to St Paul's last weekend (with no idea it was going to feature in the show; I was more stoked about seeing a place called Knightrider Street), and took a couple of photos. Not a red phone box in sight...

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
If it has any weight, the MacQueen Master's TARDIS is exactly that kind of phone booth...

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

DoctorWhat posted:

If it has any weight, the MacQueen Master's TARDIS is exactly that kind of phone booth...

We'll find out! I hope she pulls a proper villain escape instead of dying/heroically sacrificing like the other two revival Masters.

I am 100% fine with her being the Master, I'm just rather disappointed by it turning out to be all for some Cybermen. Hopefully she's got a less-lame level of plan.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Sydney Bottocks posted:

People should watch "The Mark of the Rani" because it has the great line in it from the Rani about how the Master's anti-Doctor plans are so convoluted, he'd get dizzy if he tried to walk in a straight line. :v:

Which can often describe Moffat's scripts! :v:

Though I'll say this season things have been tighter so far. I particularly think this past episode was pretty straightforward compared to say, The Wedding of River Song.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Oh, so Timelords can't recognize one another across regeneration anymore? That's funny because the Master was able to, but not the Doctor.

Also where is a tiny nano-Cyberman from inside the dalek? Did anyone writing this stop to consider what they were writing? Missy courted the ghost of a cyborg robot with to become a Cyberman.

This was all really dumb.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
A dead boyfriend? A Cyberman London invasion in the first of a two parter? Looks like we are in for a reset button.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

A dead boyfriend? A Cyberman London invasion in the first of a two parter? Looks like we are in for a reset button.

It's The Power Of Love!!!

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The skeleton suits might just be the "luxury model" for people who want their loved ones to have control over their bodies. There's no reason there can't also be an empty version (still controlled externally).

Also The Doctor gets his face plastered all over history, it shouldn't be too hard to look up.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Also The Doctor gets his face plastered all over history, it shouldn't be too hard to look up.

Just ask that ELO cover band!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The Time Monster has issues that become horrifically apparent if you're watching it in one sitting.
That's solid advice for a lot of classic stories, including a bunch of the otherwise good ones.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

moths posted:

Oh, so Timelords can't recognize one another across regeneration anymore? That's funny because the Master was able to, but not the Doctor.

This has never been consistent. It has always been exactly what it was in this episode, which is that they can sometimes recognize each other if they writers want them to for the plot, and sometimes they cannot.

I watched it now, obviously.

Michelle Gomez will probably make a good Master but a lot of the writing for her has been downright weird. She called the Doctor her boyfriend and made out with him, for example. I'd feel a little more comfortable if they were calling her the Master instead of the Mistress, which just sounds awkward, but what can you do? She's definitely got that Ainley/Delgado charm. It's probably the least disappointing resolution for her arc that they could have done.

I do think the Cybermen are being more properly used for their body horror/WE MUSSZZT SURVIVE in this plot, though. It'll be interesting to see what convoluted plot the Master has come up with this time.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
The more I think of it, the more I get the feeling that Moffat is attempting to do his own version of Doomsday. Down to using Cybermen in all the press stuff to hide the bigger twist. The Cybermen reveal in this episode is very much like it was in "Army of Ghosts", too.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Has this season mentioned the Gallifrey plot from Day of the Doctor? I was expecting this season to be at least partially about the search for Gallifrey, but I've missed a couple episodes this season and I don't recall any references about it so far.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
The general consensus is that the equations that Twelve is working on is towards finding Gallifrey, and that it'll primarily be a focus of next year's series.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

radlum posted:

Has this season mentioned the Gallifrey plot from Day of the Doctor? I was expecting this season to be at least partially about the search for Gallifrey, but I've missed a couple episodes this season and I don't recall any references about it so far.

Not once.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

I love that one of the spare TARDIS keys was in a copy of The Time Traveler's Wife. Because of course The Doctor would have a copy of that book.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Antti posted:

Since I've only watched a little bit of Classic Who, what are some of the best stories with The Master?

All these recommendations on the last page and not one person mentioned Frontier In Space?

Shame on you goons. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuTXoawOM3g

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Ludicro posted:

All these recommendations on the last page and not one person mentioned Frontier In Space?

Shame on you goons. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuTXoawOM3g

The non-Master bits were pretty godawfully paced with the audience figuring out the twist almost immediately but having to wait almost the full serial for people to catch onto it.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

thepokey posted:

Not criticising the show. The show is what it is, I'm more talking about people's speculation fitting the show as opposed to the show fitting people's speculation. Its more asking a question to people here - before this episode, I heard a lot of people think that whoever was trying to pair the Doctor and Clara up was Missy, ie "the woman in the shop". If so, do they still think that is the case now?

If they do, then how would they explain Missy being around before the crack opened to let her back in (which seems to be the general consensus of how she came back). If they think it is someone else now, what's another theory on who it could be?

So I'm talking about if people do still think it was Missy pairing them together, do they have another theory of how she was able to do so or would they just think it would be waved off as timey wimey stuff. If it is her, she couldn't have done it from in the time lock, so as soon as she came back through she went back in time to set it up? Would that logic work or is it waved away or is it something/someone else entirely? Just ... talking about the show, not having a go at it for not fitting fan expectations.

Time travel. Don't try to reason your way past Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey, because that way lies madness.

For example, Missy picked up the clockwork robot from Victorian London. Which means she and her army of cybermen ought to have been around on earth somewhere when Simms' Master was being elected prime minister a few years ago. Missy and her cybermen army should also have been there when the cybermen invaded London and for that matter for every other Christmas special of NuWho. She just . . . didn't get involved.

It's best to just think of it as things happening one after another.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

TinTower posted:

The general consensus is that the equations that Twelve is working on is towards finding Gallifrey, and that it'll primarily be a focus of next year's series.

I don't think it's really a general consensus, but more of a question recently brought up in this thread (repeatedly). We have literally 0 evidence that this is true. Not even "well he could have meant THIS!" spergy evidence.

Switching gears, this is one of the categories The Master is listed under. Thanks! I never could have found him otherwise!

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Individuals_who_pretended_to_be_the_Doctor_but_didn%27t_look_like_him

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

radlum posted:

They've not outright said it by name but they actually went to Gallifrey once already, though the Doctor doesn't know it. I imagine that's going to be relevant.

The incredibly strong theme this season of "soldiers from a long ago conflict who forgot their mission/meaning" obviously applies to the Doctor. "The promised land" theme may literally apply to Missy's afterlife, but striving for the promised land is what we expect the Doctor is doing, now that he knows Gallifrey is out there.

And yes, he's been working on calculations in chalk the whole season, which we're kind of assuming has something to do with Gallifrey.

It's all been subtle though. If probably been laying the groundwork for some sort of "Aha! We've been working to get there this whole time, but never told you!" reveal.

Angela Christine posted:

Time travel. Don't try to reason your way past Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey, because that way lies madness.

For example, Missy picked up the clockwork robot from Victorian London. Which means she and her army of cybermen ought to have been around on earth somewhere when Simms' Master was being elected prime minister a few years ago. Missy and her cybermen army should also have been there when the cybermen invaded London and for that matter for every other Christmas special of NuWho. She just . . . didn't get involved.

It's best to just think of it as things happening one after another.
Nah, it's not that confusing. She's got a Tardis obviously. She doesn't have to do things in boring straight lines. She can pop back to Victorian London and snag a guy there, pop forward to the Dalek Wars, snag someone there... all while having her base of operations in "modern" London.

She's been specifically following the Doctor around. For some reason. From what little we've seen it's likely that she's been closely following the Doctor, and we've probably been seeing her in chronological order.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Eiba posted:

chronological order

These two words could not be less meaningful.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Cryohazard posted:

These two words could not be less meaningful.

Usually, in the context of Doctor Who, it refers to seeing a particular character's life in the same order they see it.

..So, how is it not meaningful?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I hope she has a TARDIS, and I hope that we get to see it's interior!

This could be a really great opportunity to see a new console room with the new series budget. Besides the 4 Doctor sets and kinda sorta the thing in Craig's house we haven't seen another TARDIS, and I can only imagine what the Master would do with the desktop settings.

I'm hoping for something cool like the Rani's set, and not just the old standby of "painting the Doctor's console room black" that they did in the 70s and 80s.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Since the Doctor's TARDIS has bookshelves, Missy just has arcade cabinets everywhere.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I don't know if anyone mentioned the best line in the episode.

I think it went something like this
Doctor - You have stairs, right?
Missy - Well, I'm not a Dalek. :haw:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Eiba posted:

She's been specifically following the Doctor around. For some reason. From what little we've seen it's likely that she's been closely following the Doctor, and we've probably been seeing her in chronological order.

Presumably the Master's plan is to break the Doctor by confronting him with the people he's failed, only Cybermenized.

Astroman posted:

I hope she has a TARDIS, and I hope that we get to see it's interior!

I suspect that we've already seen the interior.

Zion
Feb 25, 2005

It's a fez. I wear a fez now. Fezzes are cool.
Information for anyone else who laughed outright at the "don't cremate me" thing and didn't have a mortuary-sciences-educated spouse to set them straight:

Apparently in the UK, it isn't nearly as common for someone to be embalmed as it is in the US (where it's practically required). Apparently in France, it's somewhat commonplace for bodies to be buried just long enough for them to degrade to bone, then they get dug up and the grave's re-used.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

Presumably the Master's plan is to break the Doctor by confronting him with the people he's failed, only Cybermenized.

CyberAdric would make me a lot more optimistic about this season.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE

moths posted:

CyberAdric would make me a lot more optimistic about this season.

Cyber Adric would be AMAZING. And fitting, given how he died trying to fight the Cybermen in the first place.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

If there really isn't a red phone box in front of St Paul's in reality then I think it's pretty likely that it's the Master's TARDIS. There's no need to add one in to set the scene after a big crash zoom out of the church. And a red phone box would be a fantastic counterpart to the Doctor's TARDIS.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Jsor posted:

Since the Doctor's TARDIS has bookshelves, Missy just has arcade cabinets everywhere.

All of them Polybius.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
I thought the reason the Doctor was so calm after Clara threw all the TARDIS keys into the volcano was because he knew he had another spare one in the cubby-hole above the 'P' v:shobon:v

Dark Water was great, by the way! I really don't care if the Cybermen were spoiled by the trailer and pretty much everyone guessed Missy is probably the Master, both reveals worked for me anyway. I can't wait until this whole thing blows up in her face and she has to scutter away in her TARDIS (and she'd better have one) at the last minute :allears:

I wasn't completely sold on this series to begin with, but I feel it's really got into its groove in this latter half. I kind of loathed last week's, but other than that pretty much everything since The Caretaker and Kill the Moon (which I liked, too) has just been getting better and better, and I suspect I'm going to like the first few episodes a lot more on rewatch, as well, now that I know better where they're going with everything. Though not the first half of Deep Breath, gently caress that noise.

I don't know, I guess Doctor Who is pretty good these days!

EDIT:

It's too bad you never see CGI Snake in anything these days. I think he went back to doing panto and the odd supporting role on Casualty after his stint as the Master.

Forktoss fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Nov 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I felt like a moron at the cybermen reveal because I saw the trailer and then forgot. Showrunners must love people like me. I think there was someone else upthread who had the same happen.

• Locked thread