Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

peter gabriel posted:

I haven't installed this yet and I am already burned out on it

That's been the plan all along. Burn out the land havers and keep new people from playing in order to free up some plots.

Edit: the dude that started this fishing NAP bs has been offline since it all started. I think that's the only true goonfuck.

Dr. Kayak Paddle fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Nov 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seemenaked
Nov 19, 2003

...but girls already have a vagina between their legs, so they don't gotta trick anyone...
Don't get me wrong as lovely as this game can be at times it has it's charm too. It's hard to describe what I like about the game cause at times I feel like it has absolutely no direction at all. It's not your typical grind the latest dungeon for the best gear mmo like every other game that people are used to.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Seemenaked posted:

Don't get me wrong as lovely as this game can be at times it has it's charm too. It's hard to describe what I like about the game cause at times I feel like it has absolutely no direction at all. It's not your typical grind the latest dungeon for the best gear mmo like every other game that people are used to.

It's be nice to hear more about this because unless you are in the middle of it then this whole drama angle is really confusing and poo poo.

What part of the game do you enjoy?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I can describe exactly what I like about this; the dungeons and open sea pvp.

Dungeons were pretty fun in this game, at least before you'd run then 50 times for gear. Pretty nice design variety between all the enemies and bosses. The fact that there's literally no penalty to dieing other than some wasted time turns dungeon crawling into a much more casual and enjoyable experience. So yeah, I had fun with the dungeons even though the rest of the PvE is super boring. Open sea PvP is pretty unique to this game and tons of fun. I actually think the pvp in this game is pretty garbage since it has so much cc in huge amounts, but being a pirate is so much god drat fun I was willing to overlook all that. I can't think of another MMO game that has good ship combat. Any game where you can airdrop from the sky onto a boat to murder its drivers and then steal their gear has something going for it.

The problem is there is a ton of bullshit you have to put up with to stay gear relevant. I was able to tolerate that because the guild was pretty cool before the drama bomb. Now that everyone is sick of the game's bullshit and other goons as well, I just can't bring myself to play anymore. Maybe if Goon Squad somehow gets back to its former status I'll come back but nobody is in a position to bring that change anytime soon.

VVV It really depends on what you're doing. Archeage is definitely a game where gear matters a ton in both PvE and PvP. There's gear in Archeage that straight up breaks the game and is only "balanced" by the fact that it is super rare. You're gonna be really displeased when you repeatedly run into the people that do have that stuff though since you can't do poo poo about it.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Nov 3, 2014

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
In some games it doesn't matter if you have the latest gear, in others it matters a lot, where is Archage on this?

Arcade
Sep 10, 2007

peter gabriel posted:

In some games it doesn't matter if you have the latest gear, in others it matters a lot, where is Archage on this?

It matters a lot. Gear is very important here. Fortunately there are a lot of ways to make money, and money gets you the best gear. So you're not exactly locked into a dungeon grind unless you really want to do that.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Arcade posted:

It matters a lot. Gear is very important here. Fortunately there are a lot of ways to make money, and money gets you the best gear. So you're not exactly locked into a dungeon grind unless you really want to do that.

OK cool, are dungeon runs easy to find? Can you survive in this game as a loner? I am picturing myself as a lone wolf (not a furry) sailing my boat in quiet waters without a care in the world, seeking new ways to decorate my house.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
You absolutely CAN NOT play this game alone. The game has a lot of design elements that encourage group work heavily. Trying to play alone will leave you labor starved since you have to do all your own processing. Once you run out of labor, you can't do anything related to trade production. Being a part of a group means you can get people to help you make stuff with their labor and skills.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Internet Kraken posted:

You absolutely CAN NOT play this game alone. The game has a lot of design elements that encourage group work heavily. Trying to play alone will leave you labor starved since you have to do all your own processing. Once you run out of labor, you can't do anything related to trade production. Being a part of a group means you can get people to help you make stuff with their labor and skills.

So you can't just dick around and see the sights?
You need to understand at this point that I have no personal ambitions to the point that I am a constant source of shame to my family

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I hope you guys are at least enjoying our attempts to let everyone know what is going on or what has gone on.

Arcade
Sep 10, 2007

Basically join Goon Squad (when you're able to roll on west) and take advantage of having people able to help you out with labor tasks, go with goons on big raids when you want, but otherwise play alone. No required attendance for anything.

Oh and should go without saying but if you play solo, take shadowplay. Also if you plan on playing with others.

Arcade fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Nov 3, 2014

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Third World Reggin posted:

I hope you guys are at least enjoying our attempts to let everyone know what is going on or what has gone on.

Yeah, it's a good read but it just keeps repeating now, same stuff over and over, I know this stuff means a lot to some of you guys and that's cool, it just makes it tough sometimes to get a vibe about the game.

Arcade posted:

Basically join Goon Squad (when you're able to roll on west) and take advantage of having people able to help you out with labor tasks, go with goons on big raids when you want, but otherwise play alone. No required attendance for anything.

Sounds good, I keep hearing people mention East and West, I take it these are servers? Why can't you roll on West now?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

I think you and Werkwerk are doing really good as far as leadership goes. The problems with the guild right now are just one you can't really solve; a bunch of people ran off with our poo poo and goons in general seem burnt out on this game's bullshit.

Arcade posted:

This is probably your best course of action. There are still plenty of nice people in Goon Squad that are willing to help out.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I believe both werkwerk and I understand how lovely this game is going to get with a gear grind and the burn out following it will be pretty large.

We do want people to have fun though so we are promoting that while we can.

Without drama involved, I didn't expect many goons to be around after the north continent opened up and they got to see what the future of this game will look like.

Arcade
Sep 10, 2007

peter gabriel posted:

Sounds good, I keep hearing people mention East and West, I take it these are servers? Why can't you roll on West now?

Same server, but at character creation you currently can't create west races due to population imbalance.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

JackDRipper posted:

At this point I had not posted about the plans for Tuesday because frankly I was running it like an EVE OP and not tipping my hand on what the plan was till the last minute.

I think a big difference is that after so many years most EVE goons are willing to trust that the leadership has a plan and has things under control.

The BFM drama bomb and aftershocks eroded the sense that the AAgoon leaders know what they are doing and have a plan. The constant trolling and meltdowns ITT for a few weeks there obviously didn't help. So there is a sense that nobody knows what is going on, or half the time even knows who is supposed to be in charge of things.

Maybe not getting a castle will give us time to gel and do stuff without constantly splintering. Or maybe a shiny new game will come along.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Arcade posted:

Same server, but at character creation you currently can't create west races due to population imbalance.

So continents in the same game world?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Yah. There is an east and west faction on an east and west continent. They level up on their own side until about 30 or so when they have to be in the same zone on the west or east continent. Those zones tend to be pvp zones that can go into war and peace periods.

There are two other land masses to note. One is a tiny island in the center of the three continents. The other is the northern continent where when that arrives the game changes. Like leveling to 50 takes 4 hours once a part of that opens up. This also has room for 4 castles up there where the guild leader that owns the castle gets taxes from nearby houses.

There should also be nations, which are player run factions where one guild owns it and other guilds can join it, but that may not be in.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Yah. There is an east and west faction on an east and west continent. They level up on their own side until about 30 or so when they have to be in the same zone on the west or east continent. Those zones tend to be pvp zones that can go into war and peace periods.

Reminds me of WoW back in the day, you start off safe and as you level up you begin to cross paths with the other faction

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

wtfmoses posted:

The things I do for love.

*pushes small Icelandic girl out the window*

That is one thread and now I have to go and get on an airplane ok bye.
that guy is like a VP at riot (league of legends) and was probably the main person stealing away the higher ups from CCP to riot

Simon Numbers
Sep 28, 2013

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

that guy is like a VP at riot (league of legends) and was probably the main person stealing away the higher ups from CCP to riot

He's doing gods work. Hopefully eve will be less poo poo without terrible devs.

wtfmoses
Dec 21, 2004

Get serias

Simon Numbers posted:

He's doing gods work. Hopefully eve will be less poo poo without terrible devs.

I hope this important video game guy isn't mad at me for exposing his lunacy.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

try logging into league

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010
Speaking of castle mats, wasn't a majority of the stone we had mined and donated by that GSA pubbie who managed to get into Goon Squad? He's still in the guild, so I think you should give him back all his stone.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Wait wasn't the whole point of GSA that people in it DON'T get into goon squad? How did you gently caress up this very simple concept?

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

30.5 Days posted:

How did you gently caress up this very simple concept?

Goons

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008

30.5 Days posted:

Wait wasn't the whole point of GSA that people in it DON'T get into goon squad? How did you gently caress up this very simple concept?

His dedication impressed someone enough to sponsor him into the guild.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

30.5 Days posted:

How did you gently caress up this very simple concept?

We asked this about not loving children but, well, here we are.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

30.5 Days posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > The MMO HMO > Archeage - How do you gently caress up this simple concept?

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread
I find the entire idea that GS would have been able to hold a castle laughable, regardless of gear levels or otherwise. Here is my predictive analysis of what would have happened if/when we had a castle, broken down into categories of what goons would be doing when it came time to defend said castle:

700 Goons offline or are alts
100 Goons not in mumble (because it was loving terrible), doing trade runs, playing farmville questing or other random poo poo that they enjoy
60 Goons spamming guild chat with:
- RIP
- RIP Castle
- RIP Home
- *fart
40 Goons out fishing
20 Goons are actually just spies
10 Goons having a dance party in Marianople
5 Goons are sperging and screaming at everyone in chat and on mumble to come defend the castle

After the loss of the castle, there'd be the same amount of drama there is now. So if anything, Kismensus just saved everyone a whole bunch of time by kicking this off early, so we can actually just play games for fun. Thanks Kis.

Malakesh
Nov 4, 2009
"Also it may be a bit easier to explain my background with audio. I am a musician. I play the drums. I also sell high end audio and home theater. I am used to the best."

there is aagoons and then some private aagoons officer area

normal people never got to see anything in the officer area and apparently that information didn't easily get out, to include any good or optimistic things

I find this hilarious considering Tdad, myself and nagamitsu as well as a few others were pretty much blasting it in gchat and irc and the offsite. I think there were even a few posts on here. We stated that we had multiple officer meetings on planning and implementation. The large pack moving that we did with preph for getting charcoal to gear up goons was a direct result of this. gently caress I even put it in all caps in gchat multiple times. We had qlso mentioned that turtledad was going to be the next glead. I guess it's easy to throw those sanctimonious blinders on.

Edit: once again we have an example of people spouting nonsense when they have no idea what they are talking about.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I like that you say that since I am going off what I've been told by goons who were in the guild at the time. No one has mentioned anything other than that.

So even if stuff was said, which I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, no one around says they ever saw it.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Malakesh posted:

I find this hilarious considering Tdad, myself and nagamitsu as well as a few others were pretty much blasting it in gchat and irc and the offsite. I think there were even a few posts on here. We stated that we had multiple officer meetings on planning and implementation. The large pack moving that we did with preph for getting charcoal to gear up goons was a direct result of this. gently caress I even put it in all caps in gchat multiple times. We had qlso mentioned that turtledad was going to be the next glead. I guess it's easy to throw those sanctimonious blinders on.

Edit: once again we have an example of people spouting nonsense when they have no idea what they are talking about.

Certainly didn't stop you guys from taking all this with you when you left, you know, for the good of the guild. :smugdog:

Kimsemus fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Nov 3, 2014

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

PrepH even said to me that he kept it secret. So maybe you two didn't communicate well.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Malakesh posted:

To be fair, I play on a vastly different timezone than you (and the rest of the Goons you mentioned) do. So much so that I've never seen you online, except on the weekends, maybe.

So if you were doing all of this stuff, I never saw it, and I'm guessing there's a bunch of other people who didn't see it either.

No castle? No big deal. I would probably not have been involved in the initial castle rush, so I wasn't very invested in it and having a castle isn't even going to affect my gameplay very much.

From my perspective, all I see are a bunch of white people getting angry over a video game.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Malakesh posted:

New thread title.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Zakmonster posted:

From my perspective, all I see are a bunch of white people getting angry over a video game.

lol

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Zakmonster posted:

himurak
Jun 13, 2003

Where was that save the world button again?

Anarkii posted:

His dedication impressed someone enough to sponsor him into the guild.

I ran the east guild and they couldn't do anything about it so I sponsored him for the west guild. Still have yet to even see the guy, let alone talk to him.

Arguments as to why east was a better choice:

1) Smaller numbers easier to deal with

2) 30% more free teleport

3) Biggest "threat" was goon squad

4) We didn't have to go anywhere near that mess

I'll never understand why everyone was too scared of virtual cats to roll east. Think of all the extra drama that could have been had :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malakesh
Nov 4, 2009
"Also it may be a bit easier to explain my background with audio. I am a musician. I play the drums. I also sell high end audio and home theater. I am used to the best."

Kimsemus posted:

Certainly didn't stop you guys from taking all this with you when you left, you know, for the good of the guild. :smugdog:

Ahahahahahahahah. Says the commander who went away for over a week only to come back because we called you out on it. That is rich. YOU are one of the leaders they are talking about lol.

Also the original plan was to have another meeting on Friday the 31st to see where we were and to see if dodgy had passed lead yet. Everything hinged on us getting guild lead back because we couldn't do much as far restructuring and reorganizing without it. The next course of action was to either reform or continue if we got glead from dodgy. Shortly after the officers meeting we were going to have a state of the goonion. Obviously that didn't happen because the guild imploded Thursday night. This is why a bunch of us were so upset with Kimsemus and his goonfucking because he made zero attempt to help with any of this or even ask about it in the first place. He simply was not around and didn't make it to either of the oficer meetings nor did he listen to what we asked. The fishing thing was just a big gently caress you to the rest of the officers.

• Locked thread