Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Hace posted:

Why not the R7 265?

I was asking how it compared to my previous, deceased card. I can find comparisons to its current competition easily enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robostac
Sep 23, 2009

r0ck0 posted:

Hmm, thats not very good. My 970 gets 11647, Graphics Score 13701 vs your 13892. Yours gets a little higher score but not what I would consider the difference between a 970 and a 980. I did overclock my card but I would be surprised if it matched a stock 980. Anyone else wanna chime in? Also if you alt-tab you can skip the beginning demo thing, it will say time error or something on the final score but still works.

My score:
http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/4436711

I've got the MSI 980 as well and that seems to match mine on stock settings (though I get a higher physics score due to CPU). The system info reports in 3d mark aren't correct for some reason - my cpu is running at 4.6ghz and I have 16GB of Ram, not 0. I've not really tried overclocking but quickly set similar overclock speeds to your 3d mark for comparison.

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/4568928 - Stock Speeds

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/4569101 - Close to your overclock.

robostac fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Nov 1, 2014

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

FuturePastNow posted:

My Radeon 5850 died. I'm on a tight budget so I was looking at a Geforce 750 Ti as it looks like about the best card in the price range I can justify spending. I couldn't find any direct comparisons between the two, apart from lists of stats that are obviously comparing very different things.

So at 1920x1200, just how much of a performance difference am I looking at here, for better or worse?

I have a GeForce 670 I'm not using anymore if you're interested. I'd let it go pretty cheap. It's nothing special these days but it would blow away a 750 Ti. You can PM me if interested, otherwise it just goes to Ebay :)

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The Gunslinger posted:

I have a GeForce 670 I'm not using anymore if you're interested. I'd let it go pretty cheap. It's nothing special these days but it would blow away a 750 Ti. You can PM me if interested, otherwise it just goes to Ebay :)

Already ordered, but thanks for the offer. I'll go with the new card, which I think should work out well.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

So I ordered this card last night:
http://www.ncix.com/detail/zotac-gtx750-1gb-ddr5-128bit-0c-97350-1765.htm
The only other decent LP nvidia card I could find was a Gigabyte 750 Ti and I was worried about noise/cooling with a Ti chip (it's going into an overpowered HTPC that I want to try gaming with to see if it makes a decent replacement for my 360), plus the Gigabyte was significantly more expensive.
I'm completely unfamiliar with Zotac stuff though, the fact that they're the brand stocked by Future Shop and Bestbuy and the fact that I hadn't heard of them until I started shopping for LP cards doesn't bode well. Did I make a horrible mistake or are they decent cards?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Tommychu posted:

The only other decent LP nvidia card I could find was a Gigabyte 750 Ti and I was worried about noise/cooling with a Ti chip (it's going into an overpowered HTPC that I want to try gaming with to see if it makes a decent replacement for my 360), plus the Gigabyte was significantly more expensive.
I'm completely unfamiliar with Zotac stuff though, the fact that they're the brand stocked by Future Shop and Bestbuy and the fact that I hadn't heard of them until I started shopping for LP cards doesn't bode well. Did I make a horrible mistake or are they decent cards?

Its fine. I just got a zotac gt630 fanless for my htpc.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

cisco privilege posted:

Yes. People panicked over minute differences between x800's and 6800's when Ultra settings weren't really that different visually from High and also weren't a common feature requirements-wise for other games. Slightly different from now since the console competitors weren't as relatively buff. Oblivion's maybe a better example since it was released at the opening of the last console generation. How many PC's could actually max that out at launch? Probably only a select few extreme high-end systems, although it didn't take long until running it was a relatively simple affair.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=3dmark

Also do 3DMark 2011 (DX11) and Vantage (DX10)

Edit: nice custom title :v:

I was more interested in trying to find some tests that will actually test at my full resolution. Vantage and 3dmark are old rear end tests.

As for my title, meh, it costs them 10 dollars to give me some stupid red text, its only 5 bucks to change it back. The MW:O tryhards are mad cause I can afford video cards made in this decade.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

Tommychu posted:

I bought this card a little while ago, it's pretty awesome for the price. My one gripe with it is that it's audible above 50% fan usage. It's not a leafblower or anything, but you can hear it.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Good to know they're not junk, thanks for the replies.

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

My one gripe with it is that it's audible above 50% fan usage. It's not a leafblower or anything, but you can hear it.
Ehh, I'm also swapping my delta-blown (PWM but it's still a loving delta) stock CPU cooler for a CNPS8900Q so I'll still probably be at a lower total dB than I'm at now. And really, if it's too noisy for my liking I've got a few Athlon XP era high-end copper CPU coolers around that I could probably cut down and fabricate to fit, and I have 2 slots' worth of room on the heatsink side of the card. :getin:

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

veedubfreak posted:

I was more interested in trying to find some tests that will actually test at my full resolution. Vantage and 3dmark are old rear end tests.
They're old tests, but 3DMark11 in particular will still hammer a PC. For desktop resolution, either Heaven or Valley benchmark would work. Shadow of Mordor also has a benchmark built-in.

Also MWO is garbage so lol if you still play that.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Just got my lcd price fixing lawsuit check and tempted by a 980, but i already have a 780ti. Guess it would be better to wait for 20nm parts :(

edit:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1515264/gtx-980-vs-gtx-780-ti-benchmarked-1440p-performance

1440p benches, looks like my higher clocked than his 780ti would be on par with his overclocked 980. Guess ill hold out.

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 1, 2014

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Don Lapre posted:

Just got my lcd price fixing lawsuit check and tempted by a 980, but i already have a 780ti. Guess it would be better to wait for 20nm parts :(

Oh really, I'm expecting a check for that too. How much did you get? Did you submit receipts or anything?

r0ck0 fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Nov 1, 2014

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

r0ck0 posted:

Oh really, I'm expecting a check for that too. How much did you get? Did you submit receipts or anything?

No receipts. Was expecting 27c, got $217.47

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Don Lapre posted:

No receipts. Was expecting 27c, got $217.47

Holy Smokes! I hope I get that. We talking about the same class action lawsuit? https://lcdclass.com/

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

r0ck0 posted:

Holy Smokes! I hope I get that. We talking about the same class action lawsuit? https://lcdclass.com/

Yep.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

r0ck0 posted:

How do I make a claim? I've bought like a dozen of these from the defendant companies in the time period it covers.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Papercut posted:

How do I make a claim? I've bought like a dozen of these from the defendant companies in the time period it covers.

Submissions were closed in 2010.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Don Lapre posted:

Submissions were closed in 2010.

They were taking late submissions through June this year, weren't they?

Was in my former state, but I wasn't affected, so no money for me. Also no lovely overpriced TVs though thankfully.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I removed the fan on my EVGA 750Ti SC, leaving the stock heatsink. It doesn't break 80degrees C gaming passive cooled this way - only played SR IV so far on it and other games will probably heat it more, but so far quite impressed.

e- if it is throttling, I can't see it (in this game at least).

(airflow in the rest of the PC is low - There is a single 900RPM fan set as exhaust, no other fans in the whole thing.)

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Nov 2, 2014

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

r0ck0 posted:

This doesn't surprise me - I felt like LCD prices were ridiculously high for a few years considering how many were being produced. It seemed silly to me that they would be so close to CRT prices for so long when they are relatively simple compared to the mass of high voltage and vacuum tubes in a CRT.

I guess yields would have played some part too but it still seemed odd.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
Heya goons!

Out of curiosity, what overclocks can others get on their 970's? I had a quick look at Anand's results and to be frank, the GPU they had looks like a turd for overclocking, so I wanna compare mine against other goons and see if I'm in the same ballpark.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
What's a good benchmark/burn in program for GPU overclocking? I OC'ed my ref 980 and want to stress test it.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Anti-Hero posted:

What's a good benchmark/burn in program for GPU overclocking? I OC'ed my ref 980 and want to stress test it.

Playing games is as good as it gets, but looping any of the common loopable DX11 benchmarks can tell you if it'll run their features or not when things heat up. FluidMark with a ton of emitters has been useful for me in the past, as well. Eventually, though, you play games and figure out which ones are demanding enough to crash your settings or cause noticeable artifacts, and you either get clever with profiles or accept the lowest common denominator :)

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Agreed posted:

Playing games is as good as it gets, but looping any of the common loopable DX11 benchmarks can tell you if it'll run their features or not when things heat up. FluidMark with a ton of emitters has been useful for me in the past, as well. Eventually, though, you play games and figure out which ones are demanding enough to crash your settings or cause noticeable artifacts, and you either get clever with profiles or accept the lowest common denominator :)

Thanks, that sounds right. I pushed my 980 to +250 core/+400 mem and froze after about an hour of playing BF4 or Mordor. Bumped it down to 200 core/300 mem and holding steady thus far!

Shrinkage
Oct 23, 2010

Anti-Hero posted:

3dMark 13 is a good one for a quick stress testing. Watch carefully for artifacts in one run and if you can't see anything, you probably wouldn't get any artifacts when you game in the long run.

If you want a looping benchmark, I suggest Unigine Heaven/Valley. Put it in max settings and leave it for 3 hours, if it's still running at the end of 3 hours, congrats your gpu is (probably) stable.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Please forgive this insane sounding question, but I must know.

What is the weight of a GTX 970?

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

No Gravitas posted:

3.7 pounds, though I'd assume that includes a box, manual, etc.
(google "-item- shipping weight", most online stores have this info on a page somewhere)

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Tommychu posted:

3.7 pounds, though I'd assume that includes a box, manual, etc.
(google "-item- shipping weight", most online stores have this info on a page somewhere)

I know about the shipping weight trick.

I'd like to know the card itself...

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

No Gravitas posted:

How exact do you need to be? this would vary based on which 970 you were looking at, but if you went to the Asus/MSI/Gigabyte/whatever OEM site and looked at the specs for the card it would likely tell you.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

The Lord Bude posted:

How exact do you need to be? this would vary based on which 970 you were looking at, but if you went to the Asus/MSI/Gigabyte/whatever OEM site and looked at the specs for the card it would likely tell you.

It is just a curiosity question, so any weight I can get will do. Ideally within 100 grams of actual.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

No Gravitas posted:

It is just a curiosity question, so any weight I can get will do. Ideally within 100 grams of actual.

This is beginning to sound like a "I need to know so I can put a shaved-down brick in a box and return it" question.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

This is beginning to sound like a "I need to know so I can put a shaved-down brick in a box and return it" question.

Nah he's buying a weird intel xeon phi unit and probably looking at aftermarket cooling solutions and mounting them.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

BIG HEADLINE posted:

My antique card is light and still manages to be sagging. My new card may be heavy. The motherboard is old, abused and flimsy, I don't want to put it through more than it will already can barely take.

And I just realized that my old light card is sagging because there is a broken part where I'm supposed to screw it to the case. Rough previous owner I guess.

EDIT: Nope. The Phi weights 1200 grams. I know that from the datasheets.

Different computer, different insanity.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

MSI has the weight of their card at 814g. I'd assume the Gigabyte Gaming G1 weighs a bit more than that.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Nov 3, 2014

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

BIG HEADLINE posted:

MSI has the weight of their card at 814g.

Yup. Won't be trying to install that in my broken machine. Not even close to my passively cooled bus-power wonder.

Thanks!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

No Gravitas posted:

Yup. Won't be trying to install that in my broken machine. Not even close to my passively cooled bus-power wonder.

Thanks!

Gigabyte is coming out with one geared towards SFF PCs. That one's probably going to be much lighter.

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/gigabyte-mini-itx-gtx-970-graphics-card.html

http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-GeForce-Overclocked-Graphics-GV-N970IXOC-4GD/dp/B00OQUMGM0 (does not show the full card, simply claims to be the reduced-size SKU)

I also don't think the shipping weight of it is 21lbs.

Also, though I don't think they're sold solo by HIS, this might be an option or something you could cobble together from a trip to Home Depot:

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Nov 3, 2014

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

No Gravitas posted:

I have the ZT-90101-10P and I can go toss it on my food scale when I get home but I'm almost certain it's under a pound. It is the smallest card except for that Gigabyte card which might not exist yet in retail.

Edit: If you want I'll even sell you the card for break-even, I used it for a few days to play Borderlands and that's it.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-GeForce-Overclocked-Graphics-GV-N970IXOC-4GD/dp/B00OQUMGM0 (does not show the full card, simply claims to be the reduced-size SKU)

It says it ships in 2-3 weeks so I'd believe it's the correct item; that's about when they said it would be released.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Nov 3, 2014

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

No Gravitas posted:

My antique card is light and still manages to be sagging. My new card may be heavy. The motherboard is old, abused and flimsy, I don't want to put it through more than it will already can barely take.

And I just realized that my old light card is sagging because there is a broken part where I'm supposed to screw it to the case. Rough previous owner I guess.

EDIT: Nope. The Phi weights 1200 grams. I know that from the datasheets.

Different computer, different insanity.

If you have an old flimsy abused motherboard and a broken mount on your case, I would strongly suggest replacing those over buying a $300+ video card. If your board is that bad off I'd be surprised if you wouldn't be CPU bottlenecked anyway.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

BIG HEADLINE posted:

MSI has the weight of their card at 814g. I'd assume the Gigabyte Gaming G1 weighs a bit more than that.

Shoot, the G1 gaming is a downsizing card for me :v:

Old GTX680 DirectCUII triple slot v the G1 gaming:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Guni posted:

Heya goons!

Out of curiosity, what overclocks can others get on their 970's? I had a quick look at Anand's results and to be frank, the GPU they had looks like a turd for overclocking, so I wanna compare mine against other goons and see if I'm in the same ballpark.

Ticking along just over 1500 without issue. I'm sure they can do higher, I just haven't bothered yet to really push it.