Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Our server room air conditioning manages to fail hard every other summer or so, during the night before it's about to get really hot outside. Doesn't care if it's close to freezing that particular night, it's going to fail, and the next day we're going to have 42 degrees C in the shade, exacerbating the problem. It's also just how things work. We've changed the unit, changed the service/model, nothing helped. The room is cursed or something, it's getting really really weird. We've learned to deal with it if it happens by using a series of large fans to funnel in air from the unused underground parking lot next to the room (because of course it's always something that can't be fixed right away, it always takes several hours, sometimes more than a day to fix). It's always nice and cold in there. Not ideal, but we don't have to close shop at least, there's ~100 people working off these servers.

It's happened this summer, too, so it's probably not happening next year though. Yay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

That's weird because yeah, Friday morning our colo site had HVAC issues. Things shut down.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Treat SCCM like its a loaded gun.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Always keep SCCM aimed downrange.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Collateral Damage posted:

Always keep SCCM aimed downrange.
          /
         /

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

incoherent posted:

Treat SCCM like its a loaded gun.

I wish SCCM were treated like a loaded handgun under the law. Then again, I'm in the UK.

Ataraxia
Jun 15, 2001

Champion of nothing.

evol262 posted:

"We're not going to break kernel ABI by trying to backport enormous patches which change ioctl handling for edge cases, like leaving ethool running for so long that it blocks other processes" isn't "no interest". It's fixed upstream and fixed in RHEL7, but a fix is unlikely to land in RHEL6 unless someone presents a really compelling use case with common reproducers.

I realise this is old but "ethtool running for so long that it blocks other processes" was instantaneous at least in this case, opening a new ssh session failed while ethtool was running (services on some other ports continued to run). As mentioned, people are still on RHEL6 because it is in long term support, maybe I am biased because I got hit by it, but I think it really should be fixed or at least mitigated...

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Ataraxia posted:

I realise this is old but "ethtool running for so long that it blocks other processes" was instantaneous at least in this case, opening a new ssh session failed while ethtool was running (services on some other ports continued to run). As mentioned, people are still on RHEL6 because it is in long term support, maybe I am biased because I got hit by it, but I think it really should be fixed or at least mitigated...

No, I mean, ethtool blocks as soon as it's run. Just that most people don't leave it running long enough to cause significant problems or TCP timeouts for existing connections, which is what I meant.

RHEL 7.1 isn't even out. 99% of our customer base is still on 6. It's a bug, and invasive or not, should be fixed. Open cases.

I can't say a lot about it, other than that I agree it's a problem. But maybe there wasn't a lot of demand. And if more cases are opened about it, it may get rethought. Infer from that.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
A ticket came in... from home.

My wifes backup drive for her photography business failed. Of course the drive that had all of the original data on also failed 6 months ago and she never thought it might be a good idea to keep the backup data mirrored somewhere else since it was now the only surviving copy.

The is, of course, entirely my fault and now my problem.

Does anyone have any experience with Crashplan or any cloud backup solutions? any recommendations?

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

DigitalRaven posted:

I wish SCCM were treated like a loaded handgun under the law. Then again, I'm in the UK.

Kept in the trunks of special Police units? I wouldn't mind that.

(I used to use MDT, in my new(ish) job I'm learning SCCM)

dhn
May 28, 2004
Dog dick of anubis

Dravs posted:

My wifes backup drive for her photography business failed. Of course the drive that had all of the original data on also failed 6 months ago and she never thought it might be a good idea to keep the backup data mirrored somewhere else since it was now the only surviving copy.

Does anyone have any experience with Crashplan or any cloud backup solutions? any recommendations?

I am using Backblaze, $5/month for unlimited backup size. Highly recommend it. If you want something more interactive, PictureLife may also be interesting to your wife. A little more expensive but it allows direct access to all your pictures and videos, with a great web and smartphone apps.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

SCCM can gently caress everything up very fast, very easily. I once deployed antivirus/fw clients with very specific port rules for clients to about 5 servers with a wrong click. I never RDP'd that fast.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Dravs posted:

Carbonite is pretty alright (for consumer grade stuff) full click of death failure?

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Crowley posted:

Kept in the trunks of special Police units? I wouldn't mind that.

(I used to use MDT, in my new(ish) job I'm learning SCCM)

And nowhere else.

Compared to other CM systems it's alternately a clownshoes attempt at how things should be done, or actively hostile to the principles of good configuration management.

(Disclaimer: I work for the place that invented LCFG, and thus a good chunk of the theory of configuration management as we know it).

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

DigitalRaven posted:

And nowhere else.

Compared to other CM systems it's alternately a clownshoes attempt at how things should be done, or actively hostile to the principles of good configuration management.

(Disclaimer: I work for the place that invented LCFG, and thus a good chunk of the theory of configuration management as we know it).

wait. you mean Microsoft doesn't understand its customer base? Hmmm. explains server 2012.

FUN TICKET OF THE MORNING:

Touchscreen computer attracts fingerprints.

Reply:

Yes.

.. almost has a haiku quality to it.

TehRedWheelbarrow fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Nov 3, 2014

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Dravs posted:

I've been using Crashplan for a couple years now and it's one of those things that Just Works. Highly recommended.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Yeah pretty much any of the constant sync backup programs Just Work. They all have their little quirks and they have slightly different features, but the core idea is simple.

Find the one with the features you need and roll with it. They all have free trials too.

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012

nthalp posted:

wait. you mean Microsoft doesn't understand its customer base? Hmmm. explains server 2012.

FUN TICKET OF THE MORNING:

Touchscreen computer attracts fingerprints.

Reply:

Yes.

.. almost has a haiku quality to it.

:) Workaround: Get a stylus. The place where I volunteer has a touchscreen tablet used for tracking volunteer hours, and the stylus is kept right next to it. I've never seen it with fingerprints.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

PurpleButterfly posted:

:) Workaround: Get a stylus. The place where I volunteer has a touchscreen tablet used for tracking volunteer hours, and the stylus is kept right next to it. I've never seen it with fingerprints.

Not a bad idea.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sirotan posted:

I've been using Crashplan for a couple years now and it's one of those things that Just Works. Highly recommended.

Yeah, I finally ponied up for Crashplan because I never had any backups of anything because I am terrible, but it is pretty great.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

A nice thing about Crashplan too (maybe the other cloud backup companies have similar/identical features) is for my family members who I know aren't as fastidious about backups as I am, I can set up Crashplan Free on their machines, point their backup locations to my hard disk, and then include that location as a part of my paid backup plan. Their poo poo gets backed up ~to the cloud~ and I've now CYAed them for 14th time they get a virus/delete things they shouldn't!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
The only thing I would change about Crashplan is being able to setup extra folders to be backed up locally but not to ~the cloud~.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes
This backup talk would motivate me to set up additional stuff for mine...if I didn't have an absolute poo poo internet connection that lags when my wife pulls up her Tumblr page. :sigh:

It'd be really nice if our internet connection speed in the US could get to a point where more people could get some serious use out if it. The idea of backing up my computer to the cloud at this speed is one of those "you won't finish the backup before the next one starts" kind of things.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
For private use Crashplan is an excellent piece of ware, that everyone should use.

The only drawback is that they don't have a referral program. I wouldn't have to pay for it ever again with all the customers I've sent their way.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Ursine Asylum posted:

This backup talk would motivate me to set up additional stuff for mine...if I didn't have an absolute poo poo internet connection that lags when my wife pulls up her Tumblr page. :sigh:

It'd be really nice if our internet connection speed in the US could get to a point where more people could get some serious use out if it. The idea of backing up my computer to the cloud at this speed is one of those "you won't finish the backup before the next one starts" kind of things.

All of the continuous data protection (CDP) backups (Crashplan, Carbonite, BackBlaze, etc) work like this:

It backs up everything eligible for backup. This takes as long as it takes, and is mostly dependent on your upload speed. Most of the clients do allow you to back up only at certain times (like overnight) or allow you to throttle the speeds, or both. This allows you to use them without killing your other internet needs.

Once that's done, individual files are backed up as necessary, at the block level. This means that only the changed blocks are uploaded for existing files. New files, of course, have to be uploaded in their entirety.

Once your initial backup is done, even the shittiest connection can usually keep up with the changes. Big exception is if you do lots of multimedia work, like photography. Media files are usually quite large.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Ursine Asylum posted:

If you don't want to wait and are ok with shelling out the cash, Crashplan et al. will send you a hard drive to fill up and return through the mail, to get your backups started: http://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/Latest/Backup/Seeded_Backup

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003

orange sky posted:

SCCM can gently caress everything up very fast, very easily. I once deployed antivirus/fw clients with very specific port rules for clients to about 5 servers with a wrong click. I never RDP'd that fast.

I've never managed to forcefully reimage All Systems, but telling a still-very-green junior sysadmin that he's now responsible for SCCM and no training read a book was not the best idea my then boss ever had. one of my first orders of business was to accidentally deploy about 1.5 years worth of back Windows updates to all the computers in the company responsible for credit card processing, with no maintenance windows defined, in the middle of the day. A lot of tickets Came In.

I am currently training my replacement on that platform and I have him properly scared shitless of not double checking his settings before he deploys something. I hope.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So I was onsite last Friday.

The client had some questions about moving some vending machines from one side of the shop to the other. The machines need network connections so no problem, they need to add more runs. Then they start asking me about electrical load on the breakers. I tell them that im not an electrician and cannot answer their questions. They need to have someone certified come out and look at it.

This morning I get an email with the detailed electrical specs for the vending machines looking for an answer.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

ConfusedUs posted:

All of the continuous data protection (CDP) backups (Crashplan, Carbonite, BackBlaze, etc) work like this:

It backs up everything eligible for backup. This takes as long as it takes, and is mostly dependent on your upload speed. Most of the clients do allow you to back up only at certain times (like overnight) or allow you to throttle the speeds, or both. This allows you to use them without killing your other internet needs.

Once that's done, individual files are backed up as necessary, at the block level. This means that only the changed blocks are uploaded for existing files. New files, of course, have to be uploaded in their entirety.

Once your initial backup is done, even the shittiest connection can usually keep up with the changes. Big exception is if you do lots of multimedia work, like photography. Media files are usually quite large.

That's actually moderately tempting.

afflictionwisp posted:

I've never managed to forcefully reimage All Systems, but telling a still-very-green junior sysadmin that he's now responsible for SCCM and no training read a book was not the best idea my then boss ever had. one of my first orders of business was to accidentally deploy about 1.5 years worth of back Windows updates to all the computers in the company responsible for credit card processing, with no maintenance windows defined, in the middle of the day. A lot of tickets Came In.

I am currently training my replacement on that platform and I have him properly scared shitless of not double checking his settings before he deploys something. I hope.

Deploying anything at all ever is one of the most nerve-wracking parts of my job. It doesn't help that our (very nice, very streamlined) deploy process for production is almost identical to the process for staging and development, with the major difference being "the name of the dsh group". I've not yet managed to power-roll production with a dev image in the middle of the day via a typo, but I do have nightmares about it.

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

The only thing I would change about Crashplan is being able to setup extra folders to be backed up locally but not to ~the cloud~.

I believe you can have multiple backup sets with different targets. I think I have one that only goes to my NAS - will check that when I get home.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

You can do that. Enable the Backup Sets function, then you can configure several sets that each include different locations, and control for each set which destinations it can back up to, as well as frequency and retention policies.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

nielsm posted:

You can do that. Enable the Backup Sets function, then you can configure several sets that each include different locations, and control for each set which destinations it can back up to, as well as frequency and retention policies.

dorkanoid posted:

I believe you can have multiple backup sets with different targets. I think I have one that only goes to my NAS - will check that when I get home.

Oh well then, thanks dudes.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

blackswordca posted:

So I was onsite last Friday.

The client had some questions about moving some vending machines from one side of the shop to the other. The machines need network connections so no problem, they need to add more runs. Then they start asking me about electrical load on the breakers. I tell them that im not an electrician and cannot answer their questions. They need to have someone certified come out and look at it.

This morning I get an email with the detailed electrical specs for the vending machines looking for an answer.

"Thank you for following up with me about this. Once again, as I am not a licensed electrician, it would be illegal for me to help you further in attempting to determine this answer for you. I'm afraid that you will need to upgrade to our "Too Big to Fail" plan to continue this conversation, or failing that, contact a licensed electrician as first proposed. "

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Dravs posted:

Sup photog-wife buddy :hfive:

Thanks for posing the question. My wife's office is full of blinking USB hard drives that she doesn't want to get rid of. I just explained CryptoRansom to her and explained that if something gets clicked wrong, all of those are paperweights unless we fork over the cash. Going to start pushing CrashPlan on her.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Volmarias posted:

"Thank you for following up with me about this. Once again, as I am not a licensed electrician, it would be illegal for me to help you further in attempting to determine this answer for you. I'm afraid that you will need to upgrade to our "Too Big to Fail" plan to continue this conversation, or failing that, contact a licensed electrician as first proposed. "

The only answer. Please don't "compromise" just to get them off your back.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

Che Delilas posted:

The only answer. Please don't "compromise" just to get them off your back.

I wont be making any compromises with that.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

orange sky posted:

SCCM can gently caress everything up very fast, very easily.

Well, there was that case over at Emory university when someone accidentally wiped everything.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I love that story. It's so good.

Fox_Spy
Mar 19, 2006
Lifeguard of the Apocalypse
After 2 months, I'm finally caught up in this thread, starting from my last post in the previous thread in early 2012. Since that time I've gotten two new jobs and landed in a pod for my day job. Of course, I still have my side business doing residential tech support. Recent calls I've gotten include the ever popular WiFi switch on a laptop as well as a wireless keyboard that started malfunctioning the day after a soda was spilled into it.

But this might be the best I've gotten lately. I get a call that a guy has the FBI ransom virus on his computer, again. I cleaned it off his computer two years ago. Now he remembers that last time I created a separate user account to clean this thing and he goes into it and run Malwarebytes to clean it up this time. Malwarebytes finds nothing at all on the machine. I have him do a full scan, still nothing. Despite having a busy evening, I agree to squeeze him in after dinner. I go check it out and he briefly shows me the account that's gotten hit before he switches to the cleaner account and shows me Malware not finding anything. I notice that the ransom message this time says Interpol, which is weird being in NJ. This should have been a bigger red flag to me than it was. I then spend 20 minutes poking around online trying to find something I can do from the clean account to clean up the infected account and I can't find any trace of the virus at all in the system. Finally I go back to the original account to take another look at this thing. That's when I notice that his start bar is still visible, the thing hasn't gone completely full screen and I can click around. Then I notice that it's because he doesn't have the virus, he has an incognito Chrome tab that has a message on it that contains the ransom demand. Then I look at what was the previous tab that spawned this one, porn. So I get to tell the guy that the good news is he doesn't have a virus, it's just a pop-up window spawned from this other tab here about Asian girls. Then I just killed Chrome entirely and rebooted the computer, made sure it really was as clean as it could be. Then I gave him the bad news that I'm still charging a full hour for this.

Overall, my customers don't bother me too much. But I've got to expand my business in NJ as much as I can, because while I landed in a pod for my day job, my marriage fell apart and I'm getting divorced. Now I need all the extra money for groceries I can get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I've had at least two Macs come in because they had "a virus" where it turned out just to be that Safari was stuck on a page with a scary-looking pop up and the "re-open programs in the state they were in when you last closed them" default was set.

• Locked thread