Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Under the vegetable posted:

You know what I would do to change twin peaks? Spoilers it would be to have Lynch and Frost actually involved in every episode.

The new Twin Peaks is secretly all about Gordon Cole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Jsor posted:

AND THAT'S OKAY, COOP!

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Jsor posted:

YOU WEREN'T SUPPOSED TO SAY THAT OUT LOUD, IT'S ON THE DOWN LOW VERY HUSH HUSH.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
THREAD, TODAY YOU REMIND ME OF A SMALL CHIHUAHUA

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

YOU ARE WITNESSING A FRONT THREE-QUARTER VIEW OF TWO ADULTS SHARING A TENDER MOMENT.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

Wasn't "super nadine" her being controlled by bob?

The timing of her strength and coma, the weird chaotic poo poo she did, the fact she was in a point of weakness beforehand, how she went back to school which is an area bob is obviously interested in and the amnesia of what happened during the time lead me to believe that.

gucci bane fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Oct 30, 2014

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Harley C posted:

Not sure where you're getting that from

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Nadine was already pretty strong before her coma, she destroyed that rowing machine thing early in the first season.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Harley C posted:

The timing of her strength and coma, the weird chaotic poo poo she did, the fact she was in a point of weakness beforehand, how she went back to school which is an area bob is obviously interested in and the amnesia of what happened during the time lead me to believe that.

I don't think this quite pans out but it is an interesting idea.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I'm nearly finished, I'm on the second last episode and... Oh God it's killing me how much I don't give a poo poo.

Asking Billy Zane to deflower you in a jet while Pete cries outside was definitely a high point of this show for me.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Shoehead posted:

I'm nearly finished, I'm on the second last episode and... Oh God it's killing me how much I don't give a poo poo.

Asking Billy Zane to deflower you in a jet while Pete cries outside was definitely a high point of this show for me.

I mean, who wouldn't ask Billy Zane that?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I mean, who wouldn't ask Billy Zane that?

I'm a straight man and even I would consider losing my manginity to Billy Zane in a private plane.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Only if he takes me on a trip too.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
There's a half hour left in this entire show and I'm watching an old man walk back and forward across a bank.

Edit: AHAHA HOLY poo poo!

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Nov 3, 2014

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

Shoehead posted:

There's a half hour left in this entire show and I'm watching an old man walk back and forward across a bank.

Dude, that scene is awesome.

Of course, if it was directed by anyone other than Lynch it'd probably be awful.

Boss Man Bing
Sep 10, 2014

it's Gaelic for "thy turkey is done"
Wait for the tea! The fish aren't running.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Ok so I finished the show, and I just want to know ONE THING Why the gently caress did Josie turn into the knob of a dresser?!

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Shoehead posted:

Ok so I finished the show, and I just want to know ONE THING Why the gently caress did Josie turn into the knob of a dresser?!

Bad writing.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Shoehead posted:

WHAT HAPPENED TO JOSIE?!!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Gotta turn into something.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Remind me, did they portray BOB as having any involvement in the "Josie and the dueling businessmen" storyline before that scene, or was that a sudden insert?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
He just kinda showed up, and then Cooper said something about her dying from sheer fright later.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Shoehead posted:

Ok so I finished the show, and I just want to know ONE THING

She got trapped in the wood like the log lady's husband because penance/the mill or something

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Of course that's what happened, it's ghost wood.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

Surlaw posted:

Of course that's what happened, it's ghost wood.

holy poo poo

I watched Fire Walk With Me the other night. What the gently caress was the deal with Bowie waltzing in? I mean, he is the greatest man alive, but that made no sense.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Creature posted:

I watched Fire Walk With Me the other night. What the gently caress was the deal with Bowie waltzing in? I mean, he is the greatest man alive, but that made no sense.
From what I've read, there were planned sequels that never got made that would've made sense out of that scene.

I wonder if Lynch can get Bowie for a Season 3 appearance.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Nov 3, 2014

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
If you all have a chance to watch the 3.5 hour fan cut or at least Missing Pieces, take it: the fan cut is an extraordinary film that's not at all confusing like the original Fire Walks With Me and the guy who went to the trouble of cutting it to Lynch's script deserves some applauds for making it fit together so well; it's a professional job.

There's a lot of content in Missing Pieces/fan cut that fills in FWWM like the Bowie scene being elaborated on (I don't think there's an explantation necessarily, but the overall idea of him having some sort of power from the Lodge that allows him to teleport is at least conveyed properly), the green ring is threaded in more throughly, and there's an extended version of the Black Lodge Meeting scene that is one of several scenes that introduces an entire character arc to the Man From Another Place and why he split up with BOB.

Also, there's a really creepy scene with a fan.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

timeandtide posted:

but the overall idea of him having some sort of power from the Lodge that allows him to teleport is at least conveyed properly),

Not only teleport through space, but through time as well. Note how in the missing pieces you get a shot of Phillip Jeffries repeating the date Gordon Cole says (I think it was Feb. 1989) in what looks to me like horror and disbelief. I took that as a hint that he time traveled there as well.

Regarding Josie's fate, Cooper also mentioned how Josies body weighed only like 65 pounds after death. Another clue to god knows where they were going with trapped in wood Josie.

An interesting thing to note wood but not necessarily Josie related, I heard in a interview with Catherine E. Coulson (The Log Lady, who confirmed she has been asked by Lynch to be in the new series) that the only thing Lynch has told her about the new series is about the importance of wood and our forests and taking care of them or some such thing, as a result she's been reading about the subject. Take that Lynchian comment for what you will, but the idea of wood is gonna play a part in the new series. Maybe we will revisit the idea of people's souls getting trapped in wood?

This whole idea of a new series of the show is just so awesome and insane. I can't think of another heavily serialized television show revived after 25 year to continue its story. This is an unprecedented situation and there are like no examples of how to do such a thing exactly and you really cannot guess what they are going to do, or who is going to come back from the original show. This is uncharted territory for a TV show revival and then throw loving David Lynch in the equation, who is someone known to do what HE want's to do, and drat his audiences expectations (not to mention his whole, you know, Lynchy style and nature) and just what the gently caress are we going to get in the new series?!

It's so exciting. This is my number one most anticipated upcoming TV/Movie/Whatever.

Damo fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Nov 3, 2014

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Now that I've slept on it I realise that the show left a lot of stuff unresolved, and strangely resolved some of the stuff I didn't care about, like Josie's marital situation. Like I know it's really soapy but I wanna know if Big Ed got to divorce Nadine or not, if Mike ever got have the crazy bodybuilder sex he so enjoyed again, if James was chopped up by a drug cartel in Mexico, the loving bank explosion, the left hand thingy, Ben's broken skull, the creamed corn lady, Philip Gerard just disappearing after Leland dies, Catherine's strange ability to make the Mr. Tojumura disguise work, oh oh and if loving Leo ever managed to get away from those tarantulas! I really wanted to see Pete gently caress over Catherine some how too, poor Pete.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

timeandtide posted:

If you all have a chance to watch the 3.5 hour fan cut or at least Missing Pieces, take it: the fan cut is an extraordinary film that's not at all confusing like the original Fire Walks With Me and the guy who went to the trouble of cutting it to Lynch's script deserves some applauds for making it fit together so well; it's a professional job.

There's a lot of content in Missing Pieces/fan cut that fills in FWWM like the Bowie scene being elaborated on (I don't think there's an explantation necessarily, but the overall idea of him having some sort of power from the Lodge that allows him to teleport is at least conveyed properly), the green ring is threaded in more throughly, and there's an extended version of the Black Lodge Meeting scene that is one of several scenes that introduces an entire character arc to the Man From Another Place and why he split up with BOB.

Also, there's a really creepy scene with a fan.

I still don't understand why people want fire walk with me to "make sense". That just isn't what Lynch movies do or how they communicate with their viewers. Lynch cut all of that content for a reason. Just because they eventually release every drat snip of film because fans demand bonus features doesn't mean Lynch didn't deliberately cut that stuff.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Shoehead posted:

Now that I've slept on it I realise that the show left a lot of stuff unresolved, and strangely resolved some of the stuff I didn't care about, like Josie's marital situation. Like I know it's really soapy but I wanna know if Big Ed got to divorce Nadine or not, if Mike ever got have the crazy bodybuilder sex he so enjoyed again, if James was chopped up by a drug cartel in Mexico, the loving bank explosion, the left hand thingy, Ben's broken skull, the creamed corn lady, Philip Gerard just disappearing after Leland dies, Catherine's strange ability to make the Mr. Tojumura disguise work, oh oh and if loving Leo ever managed to get away from those tarantulas! I really wanted to see Pete gently caress over Catherine some how too, poor Pete.

Personally, I just want to know if Heidi finally got her car fixed.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I still don't understand why people want fire walk with me to "make sense". That just isn't what Lynch movies do or how they communicate with their viewers. Lynch cut all of that content for a reason. Just because they eventually release every drat snip of film because fans demand bonus features doesn't mean Lynch didn't deliberately cut that stuff.

he cut all of that content because the studio didn't want to release a five hour movie. I'm pretty sure Lynch even said the film is better with all of the cut content back and he prefers it that way

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Where would I go to watch the fan cut of FWWM?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Just finished this show for the first time, and man, I loved it.

There were definitely subplots that dragged, but I didn't hate as many of them as most people did. The only ones that had no redeeming qualities for me whatsoever were the James and Nadine arcs in Season 2. The baby subplot was kind of meh, too, but there were a few good scenes nested in there (especially the wine tasting).

There was also that completely pointless detour with the hyper-seductress whose name I can't remember for the life of me, but I can't hate on that too hard because it meant seeing more of the mayor, who had some of the funniest lines in the entire show, for my money.

The season 2 did such a great job of ratcheting up the tension, and the last 20 or so minutes are still some of the most genuinely creepy bits of television that I've ever seen.

I'm already excited about the rumblings of a new season of this show, I have no idea how it must be for people that watched this show while it was airing.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I'm already excited about the rumblings of a new season of this show, I have no idea how it must be for people that watched this show while it was airing.

There's also a shitload of people like me who were too young to watch it when it aired, but still watched it a looooong time ago at this point so the idea of resolving some of the cliffhangers is mind-blowing.

I saw it for the first time in the late 90's, but that still means I've been waiting more than 15 years for this. I'm not sure if its going to be really aggravating or refreshing to hear all the people talk about how they are watching it on Netflix for the first time to get ready for the new series. It will be weird, that's for sure.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Rabbit Hill posted:

Where would I go to watch the fan cut of FWWM?

I too wish to know this.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

There were definitely subplots that dragged, but I didn't hate as many of them as most people did. The only ones that had no redeeming qualities for me whatsoever were the James and Nadine arcs in Season 2. The baby subplot was kind of meh, too, but there were a few good scenes nested in there (especially the wine tasting).

A big problem with season 2 is that a lot of subplots—while entertaining!—relate to nothing whatsoever. In season 1, almost every single plotline links into "Who Killed Laura Palmer" in some way. Once it's revealed that Ben owns One Eyed Jack's and that Laura worked there, most of the plotlines link at least tangentially to the murder because Ben has connections with everyone.

I just finished watching through the show again and lots of little things struck me that I didn't think about the first time. One thing is James's character. With his wardrobe and bike, he's billed as a rebellious biker kid, but there's very little about his actual character that reinforces that. If he wore a green hoodie and drove a Toyota Camry his character would be that of a moody, very emotional, easily attached, kind of nerdy dude. He has more picnics than he throws punches!!

Shoehead posted:

Now that I've slept on it I realise that the show left a lot of stuff unresolved, and strangely resolved some of the stuff I didn't care about, like Josie's marital situation. ...

They didn't really intend for that to be the end of Twin Peaks - it was just cancelled due to bad ratings. A lot of that stuff would have probably been resolved in a third season. It could be worse... imagine if it ended with season 1! That finale has even more cliffhangers.

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Nov 3, 2014

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Data Graham posted:

Gotta turn into something.

This actually answers, in part, lots of Twin Peaks questions. One of the primary themes is of transformation. Bob is an agent of transformation into evil. The lodges are gateways to transformation. Josie transformed. Nadine transformed into a different version of herself.

Of course almost all narrative fiction by default has a transformative element for the characters. In Twin Peaks though, the transformation itself is often the whole point (*) and is often literal, sometimes in the weirdest way possible (ex: Josie -- although I also agree that in particular was bad writing).

(*) this is also why when people ask "why did X happen?" you can often just explain that it happened because it was somebody changing and that's all Lynch and Frost needed and any other explanation should just be considered a bonus

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Basebf555 posted:

There's also a shitload of people like me who were too young to watch it when it aired, but still watched it a looooong time ago at this point so the idea of resolving some of the cliffhangers is mind-blowing.

I saw it for the first time in the late 90's, but that still means I've been waiting more than 15 years for this. I'm not sure if its going to be really aggravating or refreshing to hear all the people talk about how they are watching it on Netflix for the first time to get ready for the new series. It will be weird, that's for sure.

Just the idea that people have been waiting for this longer than I've been alive is crazy to me.

Now I just have to track down FWWM since it's not on Netflix for some reason :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
I watched this show sporadically when it aired (I was in middle school and would watch it with my dad, who watched it only because he liked the music, but my mom wouldn't let me when she was around)' and then watched it in its entirety a couple of years later when I became friends with someone who had taped the whole series. After FWWM refused to answer any of our burning questions, there was no waiting for anything more. I made do with little crumbs like Lynch admitting that Lost Highway was set in the same universe as Twin Peaks, but since he had said many times that he was done with the story, there was no hope of ever seeing anything more. UNTIL NOW.

• Locked thread