Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Numbers add up to nothing
Pillbug

GobiasIndustries posted:

My parents sent me a care package for my first apartment, and my dad tossed in a 3-pack of knives. What are these things used for (are they all paring knives), and are they quality?

They are all paring knives, and the shapes are largely gimmick. The first shape looks a little like a wharncliffe, the second a clip point, and the third a hawkbill. The first is usually used for working knives where you want to be careful not to stab yourself in the hand doing slippery jobs, the second is popular in hunting knives and leaves a sharp but somewhat fragile tip, and the third is usually for cutting swaths of fibrous material - like a sickle. Most paring knives use the more versatile spear point shape. They're all usuable, and you'll probably find the second most useful.

They're Wusthof, which is a big brand, but this is from a cheap stamped line. They should work as well as most other cheap paring knives. So, totally useable, but not a secret treasure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

GobiasIndustries posted:

My parents sent me a care package for my first apartment, and my dad tossed in a 3-pack of knives. What are these things used for (are they all paring knives), and are they quality?

For anyone who hasn't seen, the Wusthof "gourmet" line is the gift set staple you can find at Macy's or whatever. They're nothing like the "real" Wusthof knives you've heard about. They're not bad, but they're more Victorinox/Tojiro than Shun/Global.

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Carbon knives aren't tougher, they're generally more fragile. They hold a wicked edge, and are my go to protein knives. Not vulnerable to moisture or acid at all really, just wipe your knife often enough, and let that patina develop.

Overused but, Japanese fish knives are generally high-carbon.

If you can wipe your knife after every use like it's an OCD tick, high-carbon is better. If you get lazy once in a while, stainless steel may and will save your rear end.

e: Or do the professional thing and just keep a folded towel to one side of the board, and part of the motion of putting down the knife is wiping it.

revdrkevind fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Oct 26, 2014

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 39 minutes!
Soiled Meat

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Those are different styles of paring knife, yes. I particularly like the sheepshoof one, the curved one on the bottom. I don't know what use the topmost is, but it might excel for small cutting work on veggies, etc. It would certainly work well for cutting cheese.

Sheep's hoof/sheep's foot is actually the top one. The bottom one is a hawk's bill/bird's beak.

I personally love the sheep's foot the most, the forward tip makes it much more useful in "small" knifework, like cleaning shrimp, and I like the straighter edge when it comes to peeling vegetables. I'm not really sure why you'd want the chef's knife shape, since you're not rocking a paring knife for anything, right?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
It's a little weird, but I do for small stuff like garlic. My hands are small, but not like freakish baby hands.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 39 minutes!
Soiled Meat
Is there something special about the CCK cleaver or can I pick up any old cleaver from Chinatown?

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
It's special. Get one. I love mine.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I cook a lot, and have a 10” Victorinox Forshcner that I like. It’s fine, but I really want something nicer and a little more balanced in a Chef’s knife. I have a few chef shops that I can shop around in, so I'll go try a few out. I’m looking for probably a Japanese chef knife, so the Tojiro DP is one of the front runners. I want something that’s not exactly a budget knife, but I also don’t want something really expensive that I have to baby. Is the DP the one to get, or is there something in a slightly higher price point that I should consider?

The chef shop has the Wustof classic on sale for $90 till the end of the month, but I don't want to just jump into anything, it's gotta be right.

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine

Planet X posted:

I cook a lot, and have a 10” Victorinox Forshcner that I like. It’s fine, but I really want something nicer and a little more balanced in a Chef’s knife. I have a few chef shops that I can shop around in, so I'll go try a few out. I’m looking for probably a Japanese chef knife, so the Tojiro DP is one of the front runners. I want something that’s not exactly a budget knife, but I also don’t want something really expensive that I have to baby. Is the DP the one to get, or is there something in a slightly higher price point that I should consider?

The chef shop has the Wustof classic on sale for $90 till the end of the month, but I don't want to just jump into anything, it's gotta be right.

I'm in the same boat, but I don't like the western style handle on the DP. I want a knife that is both quality steel and exotic looking. Going to get one of these soon, short of something interesting popping up on japanesechefsknife.com in the next little while.

http://www.amazon.com/Shun-DM0706-Classic-8-Inch-Chefs/dp/B0000Y7KNQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1414466519&sr=8-1&keywords=shun+chef+knife

http://www.amazon.com/ZHEN-Japanese-Layers-Damascus-Cutlery/dp/B00H2HDLQE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1414466543&sr=8-3&keywords=zhen+chef+knives

From what I read, the Zhen has the same VG 10 steel as the Shun and the DP, but is made in China. Definitely looks way prettier tho. If it only had an octagonal handle it would be perfect.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

In that price range I'd also be looking at a Gesshin Uraku.

Edit: It's actually a little more expensive than I remembered at $145 for a 210mm and $155 for 240mm, but still not a ton more.

BigBoots
Oct 11, 2013
so recently my girlfriend and I got a place together, and I've run into one hell of a major snag. She threw out my old dinged up victorinox (which to be fair, I'd used to the point where the blade turned at a nine degree angle from the rest of the knife due to overuse and my poor sharpening skills)

The problem is that her family gave us a couple knives to get us started. Global knives.

Now I'm all for a good debate every now and again on steel types and price points, but I cannot use these knives. Not because I don't like them, but because their handles are slippery and tiny in my hands, and I've already given my fingernails a good shave because the knife slipped halfway through a cut.

so my question is, where in Edmonton (or Canada for online retailers because shipping is horrendous from anywhere else) can I get a decent knife with a larger than usual handle that grips well? I'm not overly picky on brands or steel types, but I do need it to be under $70. I prefer six or eight inch chef's knives, but have no problem with japanese knives or cleavers

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Numbers add up to nothing
Pillbug
Sounds like you should just get another Victorinox, and you can get those anywhere.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BigBoots posted:

Now I'm all for a good debate every now and again on steel types and price points, but I cannot use these knives. Not because I don't like them, but because their handles are slippery and tiny in my hands, and I've already given my fingernails a good shave because the knife slipped halfway through a cut.

I don't really like the handles on those either, but in the meantime choke up on the knife? It shouldn't really be slipping at all if the blade itself is the focus of your grip as opposed to the handle - the thumb and forefinger should be pinching the blade and not on the handle really.

Also even if the knife slips in the middle of a cut you shouldn't be shaving your fingernails; try using the flat of the top of your fingers on the other hand as a guide and keeping the rest of your hand curled back

pic demonstrating:

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

Yeah, I hated Globals when I didn't know how to hold a knife. My mom has a few, and I still don't like them, but they're a lot more usable if you pinch the blade.

BigBoots
Oct 11, 2013

GigaFool posted:

Yeah, I hated Globals when I didn't know how to hold a knife. My mom has a few, and I still don't like them, but they're a lot more usable if you pinch the blade.

I have been, and it's helped a lot, but I'd still like something a bit more grippy for when I need to do a lot of cutting, mostly my proteins and thin potato slices.

ma i married a tuna posted:

Sounds like you should just get another Victorinox, and you can get those anywhere.

I was sort of hoping for some that looked a little less "industrial kitchen".

Moridin920 posted:

I don't really like the handles on those either, but in the meantime choke up on the knife? It shouldn't really be slipping at all if the blade itself is the focus of your grip as opposed to the handle - the thumb and forefinger should be pinching the blade and not on the handle really.

Also even if the knife slips in the middle of a cut you shouldn't be shaving your fingernails; try using the flat of the top of your fingers on the other hand as a guide and keeping the rest of your hand curled back

when I nicked my finger, I was in a hell of a hurry to cut some onions, and the blade slipped because I had it in a cleaver grip. I am an idiot of the highest order and acknowledge my own stupidity and impaitence

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I despise Global'd handles. I think they're also right handed, which makes the small and slippery aspect even worse.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

GigaFool posted:

I have mutant, giant, I-hate-how-thin-phones-are hands. A global feels so drat good it makes me sick.

If you don't know how to handle a knife, stick to the 'Nox. You're just going to ruin the Global, if you haven't already. I'd say stick it in a safe, practice with something you can beat up, and only pull it out to pretend you still use it. Someday, when your kung-fu doesn't shame famry, get the global a professional resharpening and give it a serious try.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You hear that everyone? If you don't like Globals you don't know how to use a knife and you might as well stick to eating soft foods with nothing but a spork.

Or maybe folks have different opinions and those who think there is one perfect knife should gently caress right off.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Please stop referring to Victorinox knives as "'Nox," it sounds very silly.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
I fond all this handle talk funny, because if you're holding the knife properly you won't really be holding much of the handle at all.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

I fond all this handle talk funny, because if you're holding the knife properly you won't really be holding much of the handle at all.

This is how I've always felt about it. I use a pinch grip so the handle shape and size really don't mean much as the handle part of it is just resting against my palm anyway. I've never used a global so I have no input there, but I'm sure it would be fine with a pinch grip.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

This is true; it's still possible to prefer a different handle though because your pinky and ring finger are still wrapped around it. It's just something about the texture on the Globals for me.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Handle firmly gripped, index finger to apply pressure on top of the blade, right? :haw:

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
The Shun 8" is on sale at Amazon. Thinking about it, as I'm under the impression that besides being overpriced, they're good knives.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is there a favorite bread knife and cutting board (something with slots to catch crumbs)?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Planet X posted:

The Shun 8" is on sale at Amazon. Thinking about it, as I'm under the impression that besides being overpriced, they're good knives.

If it's the one for $75 off I'm looking at I'd snap it up. I really like my 10" and it was ~$180. Afaik the goon consensus is yeah they're good but expensive but for almost half off it's a steal imo.

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine

Moridin920 posted:

If it's the one for $75 off I'm looking at I'd snap it up. I really like my 10" and it was ~$180. Afaik the goon consensus is yeah they're good but expensive but for almost half off it's a steal imo.

I can't find this online. Can I get a link please?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Present posted:

I can't find this online. Can I get a link please?

I believe this is it.

BTW, I'm debating between this and a Tojiro DP 210mm, is the Shun actually better and worth the $20 premium since it's so cheap right now?

AVeryLargeRadish fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Nov 4, 2014

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine
^

Thanks, I found that one, but there was a post about a $75 knife, now that would have been a really good deal.

Too bad the Shun Premier chef's knife isn't on sale. If it was on sale I'd totally get it because it looks cool and is shiny as poo poo and I want a cool knife to use for when there's a girl over and I'm chopping poo poo like a baws.

EDIT- Isnt the Tojiro the same steel? All that's different is handle style and the wavy pattern on the blade, no?

Present fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Nov 5, 2014

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Present posted:

^

Thanks, I found that one, but there was a post about a $75 knife, now that would have been a really good deal.

Too bad the Shun Premier chef's knife isn't on sale. If it was on sale I'd totally get it because it looks cool and is shiny as poo poo and I want a cool knife to use for when there's a girl over and I'm chopping poo poo like a baws.

EDIT- Isnt the Tojiro the same steel? All that's different is handle style and the wavy pattern on the blade, no?

There was a post about a knife for $75 off:

Moridin920 posted:

If it's the one for $75 off I'm looking at I'd snap it up.

And yeah, Tojiros use the same VG-10 steel, but there can be build quality and design differences and I don't know if the Tojiro comes with the lifetime warranty of the Shun.

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

There was a post about a knife for $75 off:

And yeah, Tojiros use the same VG-10 steel, but there can be build quality and design differences and I don't know if the Tojiro comes with the lifetime warranty of the Shun.

OOOh yeah its $75 off, my bad :)

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/tojiro says lifetime warranty on Tojiro knives, same with http://www.everten.com.au/tojiro-knives.html

blista compact
Mar 12, 2006
whats a fyad :(
210 or 240 Tojiro dp? I know, I know personal preference, but I'm moving from Target random crap knife to this.
I'm leaning toward the 240 and I'll just adjust to the new length. 57 or 70 are the prices on Amazon right now:
http://www.amazon.com/Tojiro-DP-Gyutou-8-2-21cm/dp/B000UAPQGS/ref=pd_sim_k_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=13AWRHZSFTYGD5H9K5M5

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

You hear that everyone? If you don't...

Does anyone know when this became a Thing To Do? Format of post: Lead in with a nudge, such as "you hear that guys". Then extend a person's words far beyond their intent, with the goal of showing that if those statements were made a universal imperative, then the statement would be ridiculous. Follow up with a universal declaration of hatred for a class of people.

Example: "See this guy over here saying it's okay to use plastic cutting boards? Yeah let's just tell every professional kitchen in the world to throw out wood cutting boards because apparently we all missed something. I wish everyone like him would die in a hole and take their fedoras with them."

It's that easy!

Point being, if someone doesn't know enough to take care of a set of knives, they really shouldn't be handling Globals (or high-end Wusthof or whatever). Car metaphor: someone who admits they couldn't pass a driving test is maybe not qualified to evaluate a Ferrari. My first advice would be getting more lessons, not turning down the Ferrari.

blista compact posted:

210 or 240 Tojiro dp? I know, I know personal preference, but I'm moving from Target random crap knife to this.
I'm leaning toward the 240 and I'll just adjust to the new length. 57 or 70 are the prices on Amazon right now:
http://www.amazon.com/Tojiro-DP-Gyutou-8-2-21cm/dp/B000UAPQGS/ref=pd_sim_k_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=13AWRHZSFTYGD5H9K5M5

Knife length advice never changes.

The usual debate is 8"/10"/12", this is closer to 8" vs 9". If you care about cost I don't see why the 8"/210 would be disabling, if cost isn't an issue I don't see why 9"/240 would be that much harder to use.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

I think it's more that you were talking about Globals like they're a really high-end knife which, overall, they're not. They're not crap by any means, assuming you don't hate their ergonomics like some do, but they're not really close to the high-end Japanese knives, both in terms of performance or skill needed to use one effectively.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
And not holding a knife the right way to use it won't ruin or somehow make it not cut. It's a tool. If you gently caress up the edge, put a new edge on it.

And yeah, they are fashionable overpriced knives. There's nothing wrong with that, if that's your thing. I have a few Shun Ken Onions which are also fashionable overpriced knives. But at the end of the day, there's nothing magical about a sharp edge, nor is there one knife that is the best. Find one that feels good in your hand, then cut poo poo with it.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

How brittle is VG-10 steel? I came across a video comparing various chef knives, one of the ones he talked about was a Tojiro DP and he claimed that the edge got chipped on a stray grain of salt on his cutting board. Now I'm not planning on trying to chop through bone or hack up frozen meat but I don't want something so finicky that it chips on a stray grain of salt, so is that BS or does that sort of thing happen?

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

So I have a new tojiro DP which is very sharp. I haven't done anything to it beyond use it, but I'm aware I probably need a honing rod to keep things from going totally awry. Are there any recommended honing rods? I recall seeing somewhere that if your honing rod is too soft it can gently caress up your knife something fierce, so with the harder steel on the tojiro stuff I'm wary of just going to the mall to get a rod.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Olothreutes posted:

So I have a new tojiro DP which is very sharp. I haven't done anything to it beyond use it, but I'm aware I probably need a honing rod to keep things from going totally awry. Are there any recommended honing rods? I recall seeing somewhere that if your honing rod is too soft it can gently caress up your knife something fierce, so with the harder steel on the tojiro stuff I'm wary of just going to the mall to get a rod.

I looked into this for a while when I bought my Tojiro DP, and from what I can tell the steel of the Tojiro isn't SO sharp that you need a ceramic rod or anything to work. That said, a quality ceramic like Idahone on chefknivestogo will be fine, it just acts as a 1200 grit stone in that you are removing some metal with each use.

I bought a Shun steel that is half grooved and half smooth steel, so I use the smooth every day and the grooved every week or so. It definitely makes my knife much sharper than it was when I got it.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
My CCK cleaver has a few rust spots on it. I take pretty good care of it, any way to avoid it, or to get them out? Does the knife surface need any kind of periodic oiling?

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Planet X posted:

My CCK cleaver has a few rust spots on it. I take pretty good care of it, any way to avoid it, or to get them out? Does the knife surface need any kind of periodic oiling?

Lemon juice will convert the iron oxide into iron citrate and help form a generally protective patina. Soak a paper towel in it, wrap the knife for 15-20 minutes, then give it a scrub with an old toothbrush or something. Afterwards, wash the knife in hot water, dry it immediately, and rub it down with another paper towel and a little mineral oil. A little oil goes a long way to protect carbon steel, or you can just use them a lot, keep them dry, and count on the patina to help you out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Got a new work knife in the mail today.
It's not hanzo steel or anything crazy like that, but I'm a pastry chef so mostly cutting apples and onions and poo poo like that.

I mostly just got it because the handle was red and it was pretty cheap of Amazon.

• Locked thread