Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Shakenbaker posted:

I just beat TVHM for the first time today and I'm bummed out that there's no Tina and Brick ending cinematic to match the second go-through. Feels like a lost opportunity to me.

Was poking around Concordia after that and finally noticed these books:

Bottom left to make it easier to read:

The bullet one makes me think of Nisha's line when she's getting put into the moonshot cannon. It's the second biggest bullet she's ever been in :clint:

The World's Largest Bullet is from the Knoxx DLC, where it's an actual visitable roadside attraction (and apparently distracted Knoxx's moronic henchmen).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Put about 10 hours into this game so far and I'm liking it a lot (space combat adds a lot to the game, I find) but the one thing that's crushing my nuts is how loving often you're doing a quest and it just expects you to go back and forth a million times. Pickle wants you to go do a thing, so you go to cross a bridge but the enemies retract the bridge. You go press the button to extend the bridge again but the enemies blow up the bridge. You go to dump methane to freeze the lava instead but the pumping station was shut down so you have to go all the way across the map to re-enable it and then you have to go all the way across the map to redirect the flow and then you have to go all the way across the map to finally dump the methane.

Sometimes it's hard to feel like you're progressing when you are constantly being dicked around with something preventing you from going forward.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

FAUXTON posted:

Is it wrong to want to edit the Boganella to stay viable as I finish the game? I can't stop laughing at it.

Of course not, it's one of the highlights of the game.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

mycot posted:

The World's Largest Bullet is from the Knoxx DLC, where it's an actual visitable roadside attraction (and apparently distracted Knoxx's moronic henchmen).

I should go back and actually do the DLC from Borderlands 1. All I ever did was the zombie one and that kinda killed me wanting to play anything else. Sorry, TK!

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Really I don't know if I just find kitschy attractions inherently funny or whatever but it makes me giggle every time I think of it. The World's Largest Bullet.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Kaubocks posted:

Put about 10 hours into this game so far and I'm liking it a lot (space combat adds a lot to the game, I find) but the one thing that's crushing my nuts is how loving often you're doing a quest and it just expects you to go back and forth a million times. Pickle wants you to go do a thing, so you go to cross a bridge but the enemies retract the bridge. You go press the button to extend the bridge again but the enemies blow up the bridge. You go to dump methane to freeze the lava instead but the pumping station was shut down so you have to go all the way across the map to re-enable it and then you have to go all the way across the map to redirect the flow and then you have to go all the way across the map to finally dump the methane.

Sometimes it's hard to feel like you're progressing when you are constantly being dicked around with something preventing you from going forward.

Yeah I loving hated Pickle and all his missions. Especially going back and forth between areas. That AI mission was especially awful.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I miss Borderlands 1 humor, where everything was black humor and grim. Too many jokes that rely on fads like dubstep and hashtags in the sequels, and everything feels like a Tumblr person wrote it all because it veers between being passive aggressively liberal and "random" humor.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

SunAndSpring posted:

I miss Borderlands 1 humor, where everything was black humor and grim. Too many jokes that rely on fads like dubstep and hashtags in the sequels, and everything feels like a Tumblr person wrote it all because it veers between being passive aggressively liberal and "random" humor.
This post is my kind of humor.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Torgue's friendzone thing is the funniest poo poo because it's true.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Hearing Hercule's voice actor yell stuff like "MISOGYNY" is one of the great joys of the series.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
I'll say this about the pre-sequel.

the basketball mission made me laugh the most out of anything in any of the games

that and the combat is th ebest of any of the games i guess

slam and jam

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

the basketball mission made me laugh the most out of anything in any of the games

slam and jam

The inspirational interviews are all just golden.

ProfessionalNinja
Sep 26, 2004
I am the Professional Ninja

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

slam and jam

The whole "BASKETBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL!" for like 30 seconds killed me.

Some of the side-quests in this game are hilarious.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

FAUXTON posted:

Is it wrong to want to edit the Boganella to stay viable as I finish the game? I can't stop laughing at it.

"See ya round, you f***ing f**k!" :haw:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Murdering revolutionaries for your corporate overlord: the new liberal agenda.

lets burn
Nov 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
this game is more repetitive and boring then the worst call of duty game & a classic example of a game studio selling out.

I have 4 level 50 characters and nothing to do with them, except be a loving god to these little shits. No end game content just endless repetitions.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

lets burn posted:

this game is more repetitive and boring then the worst call of duty game & a classic example of a game studio selling out.

I have 4 level 50 characters and nothing to do with them, except be a loving god to these little shits. No end game content just endless repetitions.

True, true.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

lets burn posted:

What, beating the game over and over eight times doesn't unlock the real fun? Glad you came around to bring us the truth.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

lets burn posted:

Isn't there supposed to be New Game+ or something?

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

lets burn posted:

Man how much did you play to even get 4 level 50s. I barely close enough to have one.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Michaellaneous posted:

Isn't there supposed to be New Game+ or something?

It isn't very challenging except maybe Deadlift.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I finally got to RK5 and found out what you all were super mad about :negative:

I consistently get it down to like 40% health and then die from a nuke with nothing near me to second-wind off of. All my good weapons are lasers that can only reach it when I'm jumping from the center platform. It is a super gross gear check.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

deadly_pudding posted:

I finally got to RK5 and found out what you all were super mad about :negative:

I consistently get it down to like 40% health and then die from a nuke with nothing near me to second-wind off of. All my good weapons are lasers that can only reach it when I'm jumping from the center platform. It is a super gross gear check.

I found a weapon from one of the enemies that I used to kill it on tvhm. Stay up top and when he does a bombing run jump down.

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry

lets burn posted:

You should go outside.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Alain Post posted:

It isn't very challenging except maybe Deadlift.

It's perfectly challenging.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hey they just gonna drop in and make this hot opinion post that this game is bad no reason or justification but I don't need one alright see ya CHUMPS *dons skateboard helmet, does sick ollie out of thread*

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Hey they just gonna drop in and make this hot opinion post that this game is bad no reason or justification but I don't need one alright see ya CHUMPS *dons skateboard helmet, does sick ollie out of thread*

CJacobs, I wish I was as cool as you. I don't even have a skateboard!! I also don't even have one 50 :(.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Between "imaginary misogynistic way of referring to relationships" and the Boganella this game is never going to be less than wonderful in my book.

From the Bob Costas lookalike sports guy to the Dark side(of the moon)ers and their prism fetish, to the underlying star wars story with the serial numbers filed off (Seriously its a man going from dubiously good to flat evil in the process of building a robot army to defeat the big bad space menace - to quote Jack, "ringin' any bells?") and the "I'm an adult woman who has to say booty salads because some jackass wrote it on my screen" touches to the game, it scratches an itch most games leave unscratched for me. :colbert:

E: and the attempt by Springs at speaking in an American accent. That's a great one too.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

FAUXTON posted:

Between "imaginary misogynistic way of referring to relationships" and the Boganella this game is never going to be less than wonderful in my book.

From the Bob Costas lookalike sports guy to the Dark side(of the moon)ers and their prism fetish, to the underlying star wars story with the serial numbers filed off (Seriously its a man going from dubiously good to flat evil in the process of building a robot army to defeat the big bad space menace - to quote Jack, "ringin' any bells?") and the "I'm an adult woman who has to say booty salads because some jackass wrote it on my screen" touches to the game, it scratches an itch most games leave unscratched for me. :colbert:

E: and the attempt by Springs at speaking in an American accent. That's a great one too.

I can't help but laugh at the name "Toby Van Adobe". That whole starwars parody or whatever quest is so stupid that it becomes amazing.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

FAUXTON posted:

to the underlying star wars story with the serial numbers filed off (Seriously its a man going from dubiously good to flat evil in the process of building a robot army to defeat the big bad space menace - to quote Jack, "ringin' any bells?")

poo poo, even I didn't really notice that. It's the Episode III of the Borderlands series.

watho posted:

I can't help but laugh at the name "Toby Van Adobe". That whole starwars parody or whatever quest is so stupid that it becomes amazing.

I love the super short-range melee laser you get from it too, it's so satisfying to use :allears:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Mr E posted:

CJacobs, I wish I was as cool as you. I don't even have a skateboard!! I also don't even have one 50 :(.

Psh well maybe once you play through the entire game 8 times like me you'll realize that you REALLY REALLY HATE IT like I do. I hate this game that I played through twice with every character so much, it's just so boring and insulting to my intelligence.

Kerrrrrrr posted:

I love the super short-range melee laser you get from it too, it's so satisfying to use :allears:

It makes a good compliment to a melee Athena because now you have the choice of either dashing up to enemies and swatting them to death like flies, or using your improbably low range laser gun to zap them like a bug zapper!

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

ProfessionalNinja posted:

The whole "BASKETBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL!" for like 30 seconds killed me.

Some of the side-quests in this game are hilarious.

Seriously. The 'To Arms!' quest is probably the best thing to ever come out of the series.

There's so many little bits of brilliance scattered throughout the game, but the corner-cutting just throws a wet blanket over the whole thing.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Kerrrrrrr posted:

I just got how that laser is supposed to work... why it always goes up to the upper left of the crosshair, and is so short range. Very good Gearbox.

Solartide
Oct 3, 2013

by XyloJW
The Fridgia is an amazing weapon. I feel like I'm using a double anarchy with it. Unfortuantely it does not play well with Athena/Ceramic storm, it doesn't proc stacks and frozen enemies don't build my aspis.

Also, picked up an Ack Ack in a vendor, this thing is amazing! The flak shreds flying targets like Guardians.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Solartide posted:

The Fridgia is an amazing weapon. I feel like I'm using a double anarchy with it. Unfortuantely it does not play well with Athena/Ceramic storm, it doesn't proc stacks and frozen enemies don't build my aspis.

Also, picked up an Ack Ack in a vendor, this thing is amazing! The flak shreds flying targets like Guardians.

It is almost too good. Once I get my Athena to 50, and I do the quest for it, I suspect I will never use another gun. Perfect for freezing things before melee.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

watho posted:

It's also the whole backdrop for the game - Jack is basically Darth Vader, Dahl are the trade empire or whatever it is they were fighting against in the prequels. Helios is the Death Star, its laser even does the same thing while firing. It's like someone threw the story in a blender and hit pulse a couple times. It's all chopped up and rearranged, but it's definitely recognizable, and it's glorious.

E: The angry guy in Helios (side quest from the board in Jack's office) is another "holy poo poo they dumped on these people too" thing. I can't remember his name, though. He's the one you have to hit with a freeze gun. There's the Nakajima guy with his unrequited love for Jack but his demonstrations only get seen as fire hazards and graffiti. Oh yeah, his quests draw another parallel to Star Wars when you have to fight a thresher in the trash compactor.

There's also the R&D division side quest that is the second shortest job Nisha's ever had.

This game was written by geniuses but the numerical component kills it. They're either a touch too spongy, a touch too many, or a touch too sparse. There are a lot more glitches where enemies just stand around somewhere different instead of attacking you for a quest (Bruce is an example of this for me, on the Boganella quest) or fall through a floor (countless Dahl troops screaming at me from inside the walls) and if those were just tweaked to be less damaging to the pacing it would be a great game through and through. Without that, it's just a could-have-been.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

FAUXTON posted:

It's also the whole backdrop for the game - Jack is basically Darth Vader, Dahl are the trade empire or whatever it is they were fighting against in the prequels. Helios is the Death Star, its laser even does the same thing while firing. It's like someone threw the story in a blender and hit pulse a couple times. It's all chopped up and rearranged, but it's definitely recognizable, and it's glorious.

E: The angry guy in Helios (side quest from the board in Jack's office) is another "holy poo poo they dumped on these people too" thing. I can't remember his name, though. He's the one you have to hit with a freeze gun. There's the Nakajima guy with his unrequited love for Jack but his demonstrations only get seen as fire hazards and graffiti. Oh yeah, his quests draw another parallel to Star Wars when you have to fight a thresher in the trash compactor.

There's also the R&D division side quest that is the second shortest job Nisha's ever had.

This game was written by geniuses but the numerical component kills it. They're either a touch too spongy, a touch too many, or a touch too sparse. There are a lot more glitches where enemies just stand around somewhere different instead of attacking you for a quest (Bruce is an example of this for me, on the Boganella quest) or fall through a floor (countless Dahl troops screaming at me from inside the walls) and if those were just tweaked to be less damaging to the pacing it would be a great game through and through. Without that, it's just a could-have-been.

The level design is the main problem for me. There aren't that many cool, fun and well flowing combat areas in this game.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

watho posted:

The level design is the main problem for me. There aren't that many cool, fun and well flowing combat areas in this game.

I'm pretty disappointed with Helios. I don't know what I was hoping for, but it's somewhat underwhelming.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I just didn't like the normal gravity on Helios. Boosting around doing butt slams and double jumps ruled. I hated when I was stuck in regular gravity for a long while on the Station. Luckily there's some hilarious missions on the station to make up for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solartide
Oct 3, 2013

by XyloJW

VaultAggie posted:

I just didn't like the normal gravity on Helios. Boosting around doing butt slams and double jumps ruled. I hated when I was stuck in regular gravity for a long while on the Station. Luckily there's some hilarious missions on the station to make up for it.

Yeah, wanting to slam but not jumping off a high enough platform was disappointing, but on the flip side, fire element was relevant for once. Until you ran into the power suits.

• Locked thread