Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Hughlander posted:

Are there any maps apps that do turn by turn over BT Phone profile and not A2DP? It is annoying that Siri can pop up over the tuner but for maps I have to give up the radio or turn off Bluetooth.

The... The radio? If you aren't already listening to something on your phone in the car I don't even know what to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

The... The radio? If you aren't already listening to something on your phone in the car I don't even know what to say.

The radio is a pretty great way to get breaking news or listen to live sports.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Any apps with nicely designed icons that are predominantly red but also have some orange?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Thanks for the input then! I'll make sure you get a participation medal for it.

My normal commute is under 3 miles. Taking a phone out of a pocket waiting for the Bluetooth to sync and starting a music app is way too much effort on the average day vs turning the key and the radio is already on.

Still want a map with a phone profile though.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

noirstronaut posted:

Any apps with nicely designed icons that are predominantly red but also have some orange?

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/wing-zone/id645497379?mt=8

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/cards-and-castles/id674210616?mt=8

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Hughlander posted:

My normal commute is under 3 miles. Taking a phone out of a pocket waiting for the Bluetooth to sync and starting a music app is way too much effort on the average day vs turning the key and the radio is already on.

There isn't one, have fun.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Hey, look at it this way. You either will use Maps and a music app on your phone or no maps and the radio! Life is love!

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Hughlander posted:

It's really not that complicated if you have a decent stereo. My Blaupunkt deck automatically connects to my phone almost instantaneously and auto plays whatever I was last listening to. I don't have to take my phone out of my pocket. I literally turn the key and music or a podcast is playing within one or two seconds, and I can change tracks directly through the deck, as well as take phone calls and get navigation directions. This isn't even a fancy or expensive stereo. It's a no frills $100 CD player.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Hughlander posted:

Are there any maps apps that do turn by turn over BT Phone profile and not A2DP? It is annoying that Siri can pop up over the tuner but for maps I have to give up the radio or turn off Bluetooth.

Ignoring the weird radioshaming going on, there's Waze which I believe will let you use the phone's speaker for directions. Not phone profile, but might be useful.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
What's the best app for subscribing to TV shows and being told when the next episodes are coming? Ideal features would be

- Subscribe to shows
- See when next episodes are coming
- Mark episodes as watched (episodes stick around until I've said I've seen them)
- Plex integration would be nice (to auto mark shows as watched) but not necessary
- Show recommendations would be nice but not necessary
- Being able to access from multiple devices would be nice too

Money is no object if the app is good.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

prom candy posted:

What's the best app for subscribing to TV shows and being told when the next episodes are coming? Ideal features would be

- Subscribe to shows
- Mark episodes as watched (episodes stick around until I've said I've seen them)
- Plex integration would be nice (to auto mark shows as watched) but not necessary

I don't think an app like this exists, but there are many apps to track shows. I use TeeVee.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

prom candy posted:

- Subscribe to shows

Episodes does all I quoted and is free.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Hughlander posted:

Episodes does all I quoted and is free.

Was Episodes removed from the App Store? The link on their site results in a "not available" error.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

fordan posted:

Ignoring the weird radioshaming going on, there's Waze which I believe will let you use the phone's speaker for directions. Not phone profile, but might be useful.

Waze does indeed give directions via the phone, but you won't hear it if you've got the radio playing music, from my experience anyway.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Why not get a radio app? Just call me x=2 because I'm the solution to this problem.

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012
What's a really good note-taking app that you can also draw pictures in for the ipad? Going to be using it for physiology notes so it has to be able to combine the two.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

noirstronaut posted:

Was Episodes removed from the App Store? The link on their site results in a "not available" error.

Nope, I just downloaded it [uk].

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

The Biggest Jerk posted:

What's a really good note-taking app that you can also draw pictures in for the ipad? Going to be using it for physiology notes so it has to be able to combine the two.

Notability is still my favorite note-taking app. You can do typed notes and freehand stuff all in the same note.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

prom candy posted:

- Subscribe to shows

trakt.tv does all of this, and there's a plugin for Plex to handle your episode marking.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
FYI the pzizz sleep apps are free again; they're pretty decent when you need help falling asleep, though I'd suggest turning the voices off on them

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

ICHIBAHN posted:

Nope, I just downloaded it [uk].

Looks like it's gone in the US. Not really sure why and the Twitter account hasn't been updated in a year.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Hughlander posted:

Google maps does what you want but quite horribly. It likes to linger after giving a direction.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

noirstronaut posted:

Looks like it's gone in the US. Not really sure why and the Twitter account hasn't been updated in a year.

It's been removed from US store over a year. I also do not know why this is. Unfortunately it is the best out there.

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012

CaptainCaveman posted:

Notability is still my favorite note-taking app. You can do typed notes and freehand stuff all in the same note.

Thanks it sounds like just what I'm looking for. I'll give it a shot!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Has anyone seen an app that adds a Share Action to upload to imgur?

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

~Coxy posted:

Has anyone seen an app that adds a Share Action to upload to imgur?

Speaking of, what's the imgur app of choice? I have the official one but it insta crashes on the new phone and doesn't appear to be on the store anymore so I doubt it will be updated.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Bummey posted:

Speaking of, what's the imgur app of choice? I have the official one but it insta crashes on the new phone and doesn't appear to be on the store anymore so I doubt it will be updated.

I still use the old one sometimes, but imgur browser works pretty well otherwise(AND REMEMBERS MY loving LOGIN), its main faults being no bulk uploads and no BBCode links.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

For uploading I use imgupr which is plain but works well enough.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Looking for something I don't know actually exists in a PDF reader.

I'm looking for a reader that allows me to make comments, notes, highlights and stuff. However, I would also like for this magical PDF reader to sync the files for me through Dropbox or another cloud service (Copy would be ideal, it's the only one not blocked at my workplace).

Right now I use the Adobe Reader app and then export it into Copy. If I do any work on my computer, I'd like to be able to just have it pull it automatically to the phone. Is that even possible?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

~Coxy posted:

For uploading I use imgupr which is plain but works well enough.

Picup is simple and slick.

Kamakaze9
Jun 11, 2005
Hey you guys!!

cryptoclastic posted:

I'm looking for a reader that allows me to make comments, notes, highlights and stuff. However, I would also like for this magical PDF reader to sync the files for me through Dropbox or another cloud service (Copy would be ideal, it's the only one not blocked at my workplace).

Right now I use the Adobe Reader app and then export it into Copy. If I do any work on my computer, I'd like to be able to just have it pull it automatically to the phone. Is that even possible?

Goodreader, and I assume expert by readdle. Honestly though, I have seen a pdf reader that doesn't support cloud services.

E: re-read, I don't know copy or if anything works with it.. Sorry

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Hughlander posted:

I thought the stock app added a little speaker button that lets you pick the output, might only show up once you start navigation though and no clue if the setting is temporary or perpetual. I remember it cause my car has BT phone and I got a BT music adapter a little while ago and caused some confusion, iirc Apple Maps went through the music while Google Maps went through the phone (...which was kinda lovely cause there was a delay in the connection so the first audio bit always got cut off).

Kamakaze9 posted:

Goodreader, and I assume expert by readdle. Honestly though, I have seen a pdf reader that doesn't support cloud services.

E: re-read, I don't know copy or if anything works with it.. Sorry
Yeah I think most would be able to do it but with Copy in particular being a big question mark. Could try just asking app devs to include support for Copy since it looks like they have an API for that kind of thing.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

cryptoclastic posted:

I have a similar workflow and use Dropbox instead of Copy. Here's a list of the cloud services that work with Goodreader.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Feenix posted:

Picup is simple and slick.

What's the trick to it? I installed it and the app has nothing in it and I don't have any Share Actions.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
I bought Goodreader, because everyone always says great things about it anyway. Unfortunately Dropbox is blocked at my work, but I will just have to make it work for now. Going to see if that new Spideroak is blocked at work tomorrow, and if it's not just have it sync the dropbox stuff if it can.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

~Coxy posted:

What's the trick to it? I installed it and the app has nothing in it and I don't have any Share Actions.

Select pic, it uploads, press copy to clipboard, paste link wherever.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

cryptoclastic posted:

I bought Goodreader, because everyone always says great things about it anyway. Unfortunately Dropbox is blocked at my work, but I will just have to make it work for now. Going to see if that new Spideroak is blocked at work tomorrow, and if it's not just have it sync the dropbox stuff if it can.

Goodreader can store stuff locally. You can also use iCloud or gdrive or any of a dozen other options.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

~Coxy posted:

It stopped working for me in ios 8.

Roobsa
May 1, 2011

What's the best app for creating photo collages? Just for Instagram or whatever, but something with good app design would be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao

Roobsa posted:

What's the best app for creating photo collages? Just for Instagram or whatever, but something with good app design would be nice.

I use PicFrame (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/picframe/id433398108?mt=8). It's a much nicer user experience than the free options like PicStitch.