Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I remember liking Grandia 2 a lot despite it literally being a game about killing the pope, so you know the combat is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dr. Eldarion posted:

The plot and characters in the Grandia games were never anything special, but that battle system... :love:

Pretty much this. The Grandia combat system is so great it can hold up almost any game.

Except Grandia Xtreme.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

ManOfTheYear posted:

Is Grandia any good? I played it a bit but it was so basic 90's anime that I got bored pretty quick.

That's about what I got out of it. It's a standard kid going on adventure JRPG story. It's similar to Lunar but not as funny as Lunar. The battle system is the best thing about it but that didn't stop me from being really bored on all of the dungeons. I think you can do better.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I like Grandia because it's completely unpretentious and optimistic. It's literally all about a kid leaving home and growing up. Everything that happens is totally in service to that story and I love it. The battle system is still the best thing about it but Grandia's story will always have a spot in my heart.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

I still can't believe not more turn based games have adopted Grandia's battle system. It's just too good

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Trails in the Sky uses a very similar system, as does Child of Light.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Tae posted:

Do you mean you won't play the earlier ones? Because for all intents and purposes, each FF number is basically a comlpetely separate JPRG with the same main title.

No. I've played all of them. I'm just fed up with these dumb systems they keep coming up with.

Forest Thief Pud posted:

It really depends on what you want.

If you want a SRPG that requires you to make smart decisions, know it's gameplay systems, and general punishes stupid/poorly thought out plans, there's the recent Natural Doctrine, although it's light on plot. Alternatively, if you are in a SRPG mood, but don't want one that's quite as punishing, you could take a look at Fire Emblem: Awakening if you missed it previously.

If you want some action-based combat, there's the other Tales games (Xillia 1/2) which you could watch videos of to see if it would be less chaotic for you to actually play. I'd put Lightning Returns in here as well, but you were soured by the original, although it does take the piss out of itself during a lot of the side-quests, and the main plot is "enjoyable" if you can laugh at how ridiculous the whole thing has become.

For a traditional, fun JRPG with a neat gimmick, there's Radiant Historia if you missed it previously.

If none of these catch your interest, is there anything specific you like with your RPGs that might help out narrowing suggestions?

I'll have to check Xillia 1 to see what I think. I did miss Radiant Historia but I've got Fire Emblem but it's loaned out to a friend so I'm gonna try that as well when I get it back.

oblomov posted:

PC:

- Dragon Age Origins (the 1st one, on PC, with Mods)? It's very good (don't get the sequel for more then $5).
- Mass Effect 1 (and the two shooter sequels) on PC.
- Right now Fallout 3 and Fallout 3 New Vegas are selling for pennies on Steam with all the DLCs. These are very good games... with Mods (note the pattern here :P).
- Skyrim can be very good if you mod the heck out of it.
- Baldur's Gate 2 Enhanced Edition is very good with improved UI, zooming and supports most good mods.
- Deus Ex Human Revolution - remember the Original? This one is almost as good.
- Divinity Original Sin - would you like to throw a barrel of oil at the zombies and then light everything on fire? Back to the roots RPG, and an excellent game.
- Might and Magic X - for some classic dungeon crawling
- Shadowrun Dragonfall standalone - darn good RPG
- Kingdoms of Amalur - Single player MMO. I enjoyed the first 30 hours (then I got bored).
- Diablo 3 plus expansion - scratches that ARPG looting itch
- Dark Souls 1 and 2 - if you like to die... a lot

PS3:
There are so many games, it's hard to come up to the list.
- How about Yakuza 3 and 4? They are basically Beat'm Up/ARPGs with a great story and more manliness then the rest of PS3 lineup put together.
- Folklore is an interesting twist on RPGs, and it's pretty great (a lot of summoning, ARPG action).
- Above Mentioned Xillia
- Persona 4, Nocturne, Persona 3 FES, Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2, Raidou 2 - basically all Atlus SMT and Persona PS3 classics. You really can't miss here. I love all these games. Note, that P3/P4 have Vita updated version (debatable in case of P3 as it's a PSP game and has drawbacks).
- Nier - great, great story, gameplay has issues, totally worth it
- Atelier - if you like light story and heavy crafting. Start with Ayesha, it starts new trilogy.
- Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster - those old feels
- Demon Souls - hard core start to Souls trilogy (I like it better then sequels for certain things)
- Dark Souls 1 and 2
- Dragon's Dogma - very cool combat, day and night cycles

I've actually played a lot of those PC ones and all the SMT stuff. Sometimes, I just end up losing interest but I think I might crank back into Dragon Age since there's mods.

The Trails game on Steam is on my wishlist. It's just a matter of money on that. I keep hearing awesome things about Nier but it's disc only so it goes back to money again since it's older. I do have a ton of great suggestions here though! Some games I even considered but wasn't sure on.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I always like what FF games do because they are constantly trying new stuff. When people complain about stagnation in the industry and mention FF games in the same breath, I can't help but roll my eyes. FF12 has MMO-like combat, FF13 had a blend of real-time and turn-based combat, its sequel used monster training, it's next sequel was a blend of action-rpg and jrpg, FFX had a wacky skill system and the non-ATB, VII had levelling up spells with the materia system, IX had that skills-from-equipment thing going on, and so forth. Every game tries to mix things up, a lot more recently too (though obviously it doesn't often stick).

One of the reasons I don't like playing a lot of Tales games, for example, is that I always know that the skill system will be the same mix of button-plus-direction, with the same combat. What I loved about Graces F was the change to how all that poo poo worked together, with the title system, lack of TP and all that, but then they reverted back to the same stuff in Xillia.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

chairface posted:

Tell me about must-have mods for Kotor 1 & 2?

For KOTOR 2 the only must have is the restoration mod, for KOTOR 1 there's a mod that gives you a fedora and a blaster that looks like a Tommy gun (might be 2 separate mods).

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Skwirl posted:

For KOTOR 2 the only must have is the restoration mod, for KOTOR 1 there's a mod that gives you a fedora and a blaster that looks like a Tommy gun (might be 2 separate mods).

There is a restoration mod for KOTOR that's in the works. (Apparently, tons got cut from that game as well.)

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Morpheus posted:

I always like what FF games do because they are constantly trying new stuff. When people complain about stagnation in the industry and mention FF games in the same breath, I can't help but roll my eyes. FF12 has MMO-like combat, FF13 had a blend of real-time and turn-based combat, its sequel used monster training, it's next sequel was a blend of action-rpg and jrpg, FFX had a wacky skill system and the non-ATB, VII had levelling up spells with the materia system, IX had that skills-from-equipment thing going on, and so forth. Every game tries to mix things up, a lot more recently too (though obviously it doesn't often stick).

One of the reasons I don't like playing a lot of Tales games, for example, is that I always know that the skill system will be the same mix of button-plus-direction, with the same combat. What I loved about Graces F was the change to how all that poo poo worked together, with the title system, lack of TP and all that, but then they reverted back to the same stuff in Xillia.

At the same time they tried these weird systems, they started also doing irritating mini-games. The junction ones like Materia were basically just "grind till you get the good stuff and win". FF9 was good. FFX had really bad mini-games that were "required" if you wanted the final weapons. FF 12 got vastly improved by the international edition that we'll never see without an emulator. 13 was Square's attempt at an action sim.

They seem to fail a lot more than succeed in my opinion.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Irritated Goat posted:

No. I've played all of them. I'm just fed up with these dumb systems they keep coming up with.

I'll have to check Xillia 1 to see what I think. I did miss Radiant Historia but I've got Fire Emblem but it's loaned out to a friend so I'm gonna try that as well when I get it back.

I've actually played a lot of those PC ones and all the SMT stuff. Sometimes, I just end up losing interest but I think I might crank back into Dragon Age since there's mods.

The Trails game on Steam is on my wishlist. It's just a matter of money on that. I keep hearing awesome things about Nier but it's disc only so it goes back to money again since it's older. I do have a ton of great suggestions here though! Some games I even considered but wasn't sure on.

Apparently the price of Nier went up, gamestop lists it at 14.99, but I've got a copy with a sticker of 12.99. Pretty sure they did the same thing with the persona games as well, the jerks.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Irritated Goat posted:

At the same time they tried these weird systems, they started also doing irritating mini-games. The junction ones like Materia were basically just "grind till you get the good stuff and win". FF9 was good. FFX had really bad mini-games that were "required" if you wanted the final weapons. FF 12 got vastly improved by the international edition that we'll never see without an emulator. 13 was Square's attempt at an action sim.

They seem to fail a lot more than succeed in my opinion.

I never grinded in FF7, had no problems. Generally if you equipped a Materia anywhere near or before the 1/3rd mark of the game you'd have it max level by the end, if not earlier. Progression feels similar to spell gains in other FF games.

The minigames in FFX sucked; I never bothered with them. Frankly I don't like the game because of its asinine story, terrible loving characters that are all annoying, and the game's linearity. But the sphere grid and the strategy of the non-ATB system is pretty cool.

I think there are good and bad parts to each of them, but the thing is Square has shown in the past that they can just do stupid poo poo like rerelease FF7 on PC, or some crappy mobile ports, and make crazy bank. I'm glad that they try something different.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Skwirl posted:

There were a couple mods that I liked on each adding some armor options. There was a balancing mod for Kotor 1. Of course Restoration mod is a must for 2.

Nier is cheap and absolutely worth it. Just remember that it's a bit janky and you are meant to play through it at least twice.

On Trails, enough has been said. It's really a great game and sequel is coming early next year. Don't forget Valkyria Chronicles though.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
The Grandia dub killed that game for me when I tried to finally play it for the first time on psp.

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011
Grandia's dub is your typical anime dub from the 90's, and it's kind of impressive that the localization did go to that extra effort that was unheard of at the time outside of like Brave Fencer Musashi. It has not aged all that well, unfortunately, but the major offenders are mostly bit parts, Baal, and maybe Raap. Justin and Feena sounded pretty decent from what I remember.

Forest Thief Pud fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Nov 4, 2014

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

oblomov posted:

There were a couple mods that I liked on each adding some armor options. There was a balancing mod for Kotor 1. Of course Restoration mod is a must for 2.

I was just making about a joke about "must have" mods. I beat both games without mods, and before the restoration mod existed I'd still likely recommend KOTOR 2, albeit with some caveats. I'm not sure of the need for a balancing mod for KOTOR 1, since I beat it using a single lightsaber on my first playthrough, and while dual or double sided ones are mechanically more powerful, the game isn't particularly hard combat wise.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Morpheus posted:

They're going back to Graces style in the next game.

That said every Tales game has pretty different combat and there are different gimmicks in place in every one. XIllia's combat is very different from Vesperia.

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

The Razor Bundle comes with Skyborn and Deadly Sins 2, both of which are from the same developer. They're both pretty solid games (~10 hours), moderately interesting storylines, enjoyable battle system. Nothing exceptional, but both are fun, polished romps.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

Forest Thief Pud posted:

There's the recent games in Atelier series if you enjoy item-crafting systems alongside casts of fun and interesting characters, especially with the Dusk games(Ayesha/Escha&Logy) being fantastic games all around and adding more user-friendly features to the franchise.

I've thought about picking up a few of the Atelier titles but they just look so cartoon-y, i can't really tell if it's just light hearted and colourful in theme like Eternal Sonata or creepy anime stuff.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Some of the earlier atelier games had some dumb fanservice stuff (nothing worse than, say, Persona 4, but it was still there), but Ayesha and Escha & Logy basically have none whatsoever.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Endorph posted:

Some of the earlier atelier games had some dumb fanservice stuff (nothing worse than, say, Persona 4, but it was still there), but Ayesha and Escha & Logy basically have none whatsoever.

on top of e&l being really fun and good until the very last challenge (gently caress you i don't wanna craft 100 1 slot items)

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The Arland Atelier games have the weird Persona level fan service. The Ayesha/Escha ones thankfully don't.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mokinokaro posted:

The Arland Atelier games have the weird Persona level fan service. The Ayesha/Escha ones thankfully don't.
Ayesha/Escha/Shallie are the 'Dusk' games if you want a group name for them.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
I fell comfortably into PC gaming sometime during the last decade and never got the chance to play Valkyria chronicles, so I'm pretty stoked for the PC port. Steam right now is quite starved for non-creepy, non-AAA Japanese content, and I'll be glad when the notoriously hard to move Japanese developers finally get onboard the money train.

Anything I should know before I play Valkyria Chronicles?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Heavy neutrino posted:

I fell comfortably into PC gaming sometime during the last decade and never got the chance to play Valkyria chronicles, so I'm pretty stoked for the PC port. Steam right now is quite starved for non-creepy, non-AAA Japanese content, and I'll be glad when the notoriously hard to move Japanese developers finally get onboard the money train.

Vyse and Aika are the best and you should never take them out of your Squad, even if you aren't a fan of Skies of Arcadia :colbert:.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Heavy neutrino posted:

Scouts are the best and abuse orders like gently caress

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Heavy neutrino posted:

-Chapter 7 is a bit of a difficulty spike, and you may want to look up a strategy for it if you have a hard time. I think I asked for one in this very thread when I got there and it helped me out a lot.

-One thing that I wish I had known beforehand (which really should have been obvious, I was just being kind of dumb) is that unused CP is carried over into the next turn. In other words don't feel compelled to use it all up each time.

-Scouts are probably the best units in the game because they can finish maps in one turn with the right orders or potentials.

-If you have any semblance of sanity do not worry about Ranks. Yes you get some good rewards (weapons for example) but trying to S Rank every map is the best way to make the game unfun.

-For VC1 snipers suck, you don't need to use them. Engineers kind of suck too but it's often worthwhile having one to babysit your tank.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Nov 5, 2014

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

occipitallobe posted:

The Razor Bundle comes with Skyborn and Deadly Sins 2, both of which are from the same developer. They're both pretty solid games (~10 hours), moderately interesting storylines, enjoyable battle system. Nothing exceptional, but both are fun, polished romps.

This is neat! I played Deadly Sin 2 a couple years ago and thought it was pretty solid, especially for an RPG maker game. I think the main conceit was the dude makes his own music and it's not bad at all. I haven't played Skyborn but it's on my list of things to check out. That price is none too shabby.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

-If you have any semblance of sanity do not worry about Ranks. Yes you get some good rewards (weapons for example) but trying to S Rank every map is the best way to make the game unfun.

Absolutely disagree. S-ranking is the only challenge the game really has. Maybe don't worry about it in the beginning when you don't know the systems, but figuring out the best way to S-rank a mission is a puzzle in itself and really satisfying.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I have way more fun in VC games if I actually try to employ some sort of strategy and take my time. Besides most of the time S-ranking a map just comes down to getting Double Movement to activate on Alicia; it ain't much of a puzzle.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Nate RFB posted:

I have way more fun in VC games if I actually try to employ some sort of strategy and take my time. Besides most of the time S-ranking a map just comes down to getting Double Movement to activate on Alicia; it ain't much of a puzzle.

Yeah, that's one thing that burned me out when I played it on PS3. I like to move my dudes and set up tactical ambushes and stuff like that, but oops! Took too many turns, B rank. Nevermind no casualties or any of that, turns is all that matters!

EDIT: It's still a good game but the ranking system just makes me unreasonably upset.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
One thing that was nice about VC3 is that they divorced the ranks from weapon rewards, so you had even less of a reason to worry about it. Weirdly I wound up getting a lot more S ranks in that game but that's probably more because the maps are so much smaller. On the other hand it also had turn-limited missions (finish in 6 turns or less or fail) which were immensely stressful.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

Ayesha has a bit of it. It has a hot tub scene and some random boob-groping jokes. Less than Persona though.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I've had VC in my library ever since it came out, but when I learned how useless ranks were...I don't know, I lost a lost of motivation to play it. No idea why.

FakeEdit: Ohhh right it wasn't just that, it was that I made it through that lovely 'stealth' mission where someone hurts their leg, and halfway through the next mission my PS3 locked up and I realized that I hadn't saved. Absolutely did not feel like playing through that one mission again.

Still though, they really should've made rank a combination of time, kills, and losses. Would've made so much more sense.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Morpheus posted:

Still though, they really should've made rank a combination of time, kills, and losses. Would've made so much more sense.

We can only hope modders can work their magic. I admit that despite hearing how relatively pointless it is, I'm still bothered by how poorly thought out the ranking system is.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

-For VC1 snipers suck, you don't need to use them. Engineers kind of suck too but it's often worthwhile having one to babysit your tank.

I actually liked having one sniper on the map in most missions. If you got lucky you could expedite things like taking out point defenders and enemy snipers so your scouts could do more work.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Use Marina Wulfstan because she's the best character.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Marina is the best sniper. Jane or Rosie is the best engineer.

Alicia can't be beat as scout for plot reasons. Dallas is the best engineer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Any RPG Maker games people like? I've been playing through Final Fantasy Blackmoon Prophecy, and while it's obviously pandering to FF nostalgia (and the plot is...not great), it's impressive in scope and I've been enjoying it a lot. The amount of content is completely insane.