Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Just wrapped up a heady back-and forth match which concluded with an Ork Blitza-bommer finally making its appearance on the board after many turns and immediately loving up its bombing run, clipping a tac sergeant in the head, and crashing in a fiery explosion in front of a mass of startled gretchin. We declared this both the most 40k thing and the Orkiest thing we had ever seen and called the game then and there as it couldn't get any better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

BlackIronHeart posted:

What an rear end pain. Do Vypers and Falcons share the same cockpit glass? If so...

They do - all Falcon chassis, Vypers, War Walkers, Wraithfighters, FW flyers, FW super heavy tanks all use the same Eldar canopy - but gently caress, $10 USD each :stare:

I'm probably too clumsy for Saran wrap, but

The Impaler posted:

You're in Australia right? If you're cool with waiting until I get home and check, I'm pretty sure I have Falcon/ Venom (you want the closed or open one?) canopies.

thanks, venom ones apparently won't fit so it'd have to be Falcon

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Slimnoid posted:

Some days I see this poo poo and just want to give up.

Oh please tell me you know where I can get some to disappoint myself with painting them?

gently caress that is awesome

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Slimnoid posted:

Those are amazing and I want some. I'll probably never have a use for them, but they're awesome nonetheless.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

VendaGoat posted:

Oh please tell me you know where I can get some to disappoint myself with painting them?

gently caress that is awesome

If you're asking about the minis, they look like a Triarch Praetorian/Lychguard kit with Grey Knight Paladin Power Swords and.... the Anvil Industries Pumpkin head bits? No clue on the shields.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I think the pumpkin heads are from Anvil Industry.

http://www.anvilindustry.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=353

Maybe?

edit:

I've seen them done up as Legion of the Damned and for whatever loving reason it really works well.

Here

Legion of the Damned Pumpkin heads

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Nov 3, 2014

NovaLion
Jun 2, 2013

REMEMBER

Slimnoid posted:

These are super cool, but is this a normal price for quality paint service?

The Impaler
Dec 28, 2011

10 Brogies
20 GOTO 10

NTRabbit posted:

thanks, venom ones apparently won't fit so it'd have to be Falcon

Checked in my mountain of plastic- got a few spare. Let me know your email.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

My username at gmail will reach me :woop:

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Big Willy Style posted:

Am I dumb or is the only reason you would take storm troopers over vets is to deep strike in a min unit with 2xplasma or Melta because I cant see any other use that vets dont do better and with objective scured.

That is exactly why I take mine. I would agree that deep strike is the main reason. Some people do (I have heard) take several full units and really do a mass drop, but it sounds like a big risk to me. Obviously at 13 points per, the actual troopers are something of a trap option. The AP3 of their rifles needs to be within 9" to rapid fire, and it is often impossible to get an officer in range to give FRFSRF. One thing I intend to try is building a command squad (ie 4 plasma guns) and fielding 3x5 storm troopers as allied tempestus militarum. That way, as I understand it, the normal squads will get obj secured, and the command can order itself (or another squad if I wanted to for some reason) to shoot TL or with preferred enemy.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Slimnoid posted:

This is now how I want to do my Nagash army. :spooky:

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Sorry Moola, pumpkins>skulls

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Genghis Cohen posted:

That is exactly why I take mine. I would agree that deep strike is the main reason. Some people do (I have heard) take several full units and really do a mass drop, but it sounds like a big risk to me. Obviously at 13 points per, the actual troopers are something of a trap option. The AP3 of their rifles needs to be within 9" to rapid fire, and it is often impossible to get an officer in range to give FRFSRF. One thing I intend to try is building a command squad (ie 4 plasma guns) and fielding 3x5 storm troopers as allied tempestus militarum. That way, as I understand it, the normal squads will get obj secured, and the command can order itself (or another squad if I wanted to for some reason) to shoot TL or with preferred enemy.

Yeah I don't think I would want to get more than the 10 dudes I have, although that could be a fun army to play I would prefer to save that allied slot for something that IG can't do. I don't have the rulebook on hand but does move through cover benefit units deepstriking into cover?

On a side note, poo poo gets a little absurd with tanks for an IG army. I bought a chimera on the weekend because I found out I was getting a nice tax return, get home, assemble it and realise after the fact that I actually had all of the chimeras that I wanted and I could have got another wyvern or something instead because gently caress Cataphract's orks.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Came across this image on /tg/, seems like the next release is more nids.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Goddamn those models will tip easily.

Beyond that, it's nice to bring back Mycetic Tyrannodeepstrikes.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Cooked Auto posted:

Came across this image on /tg/, seems like the next release is more nids.

I swore I never thought it would happen. Now I have to eat my words. Maybe there's hope for Doom of Malantai under another guise....

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!
"5 Deathspitters, Venom Cannons, or Barbed Stranglers? Hey that sounds pretty go-" *BS2*

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
5 deathspitters!

"A monstrous creature may fire two weapons per turn."

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
edit: Master Twig! :argh:

To be fair, a scatter weapon is fine at BS2. BS3-4 would only make a marginal difference.

It's cool that they're actually giving Nid players something they've been screaming for (with a decent model no less!) but I'm a bit concerned that they neglect to tack on a rule stating it can actually fire all of its weapons. Monstrous Creatures can only fire two weapons. :(

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
That model kicks arse and so does that tentacle dude. You fuckers are will find something wrong with the model though like it is too hard to transport or will loving tip over or something.

The only being able to shoot two weapons thing is funny.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Big Willy Style posted:

The only being able to shoot two weapons thing is funny.

Not to mention that it doesn't specify whether it can target different units, so even if you can fire all your guns you're hitting one unit. It would be loving brutal to drop in 20 models and also hit a 30-50 model blob unit with 5 large blasts. It's worth the extra 25pts just for the hilarity factor.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!

Big Willy Style posted:

You fuckers are will find something wrong with the model though like it is too hard to transport or will loving tip over or something.

It's just a (perfectly reasonable) reflex action that kicks in whenever a new Nid model shows up.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
What's instinctive fire? Is that just some generic tyranid rule of miniscule effect or the glaringly obvious "this is why it has 5 guns" thing?

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
e;fb: It has a "Instinctive Fire" special rule so that's probably what dictates how many weapons it can fire and at what target(s). It's neat that they are adding Spore Pod rules for Tyranids again, even though it will probably be overcosted. :v:

edit: VVV I was thinking about my wallet.

Soulfucker fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Nov 3, 2014

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Soulfucker posted:

e;fb: It has a "Instinctive Fire" special rule so that's probably what dictates how many weapons it can fire and at what target(s). It's neat that they are adding Spore Pod rules for Tyranids again, even though it will probably be overcosted. :v:

It's 75pts. It's at the top-right of the page.

It's actually a significantly more useful model than the original, so I'm okay with the price bump. This also justifies Tyranid models being specified as Bulky when there was not transport option. Putting a full unit of Tyranid Warriors and a Tyranid Prime is now possible and I might do it for funsies.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
Can you attach the Prime? The WD page says a single unit.

Keep in mind I haven't played 7th and haven't looked at the latest Tyranid book in a long-rear end time.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
It's amazing how much a single kit opens up so many options for Tyranids. The codex has so many units marginalised by the need to foot-slog it across the board it's crazy. Now we may see something other than Flyrants / Skyblight.

Soulfucker posted:

e;fb: It has a "Instinctive Fire" special rule so that's probably what dictates how many weapons it can fire and at what target(s).
It'll probably say something like "must fire all weapons at the nearest enemy unit" like the old Mycetic Spore rules.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
The bit of page to the left talks about a unit called a Mucolid, and appears to be something that lobs spore mines.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

spacegoat posted:

Can you attach the Prime? The WD page says a single unit.

Keep in mind I haven't played 7th and haven't looked at the latest Tyranid book in a long-rear end time.

I suppose it depends on your definition of "unit". Technically a Tyranid Prime is unit unto itself, but as an Independent Character it can join another unit. If you target the unit it joined you're only targeting one unit composed of two.

They worded the original in a very specific way to disallow Tyranid Primes from joining the unit, but you'd think they'd state it if that was the case. I'm going to chalk that up to another reason why its 35pts more expensive than it used to be.

Edit:
Also the Toxocrene is now far more viable because you can pop it into a 'pod, drop it in semi-reliably, and use the 'pod itself for cover or just hop out into terrain to get a 3+ before diving into combat turn 3ish.

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Nov 3, 2014

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
Do you still declare what ICs are attached to what units before deployment? If so, I can see this working.

You're right though, the only reason I'm even asking is because they were explicitly disallowed from doing so before.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
This thing could actually make dimerichons (or however it's spelled) usable. Hell, a couple deep striking carnifexes could be pretty nasty. Though 75 points is a lot. More than double a drop pod.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

PierreTheMime posted:

It's 75pts. It's at the top-right of the page.

It's actually a significantly more useful model than the original, so I'm okay with the price bump. This also justifies Tyranid models being specified as Bulky when there was not transport option. Putting a full unit of Tyranid Warriors and a Tyranid Prime is now possible and I might do it for funsies.

I figured the bulky stuff was just for consistency. But anyway, yeah, this is even better than the old mycetic spore. It can apparently carry any MC, not just a carnifex. That's gonna lead to some nasty shenanigans.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Really stoked to see the tyranids getting some love - let's hope this is the end of the continued 'gently caress 'em' era of tyranid rules. 75 points is still a bit much for a model with very limited offensive capacity.

I find drop pod armies quite hard to fight with my mostly-shooty armies (eldar and guard) so I think tyranid drop pods will be quite fierce though. What gets me about the SM ones is the objective secured. It's quite a lot of AV12 to have to kill for very little cost. These tyranid ones will not get objective secured but look like they will present a good opportunity to contest objectives etc toward the end of the game.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Master Twig posted:

This thing could actually make dimerichons (or however it's spelled) usable. Hell, a couple deep striking carnifexes could be pretty nasty. Though 75 points is a lot. More than double a drop pod.

Too bad it doesn't work with broods (as far as I can see) :(

But hey, dropping loving Stonecrushers on your opponent :black101:

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Genghis Cohen posted:

Really stoked to see the tyranids getting some love - let's hope this is the end of the continued 'gently caress 'em' era of tyranid rules. 75 points is still a bit much for a model with very limited offensive capacity.

I find drop pod armies quite hard to fight with my mostly-shooty armies (eldar and guard) so I think tyranid drop pods will be quite fierce though. What gets me about the SM ones is the objective secured. It's quite a lot of AV12 to have to kill for very little cost. These tyranid ones will not get objective secured but look like they will present a good opportunity to contest objectives etc toward the end of the game.

To be fair, SM Drop Pods cannot wander ponderously onto objectives if they scatter and their shooting is far less good.

Can't wait to drop 4+ Tyrannocytes and hit the table with 20+ large blasts a turn.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Master Twig posted:

Seems fair when it's still an MC that's dropping another MC, which then wanders around doing MC things.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

If the new campaign boxed set comes with three I'm gonna bet that they will sell out retarded fast to resellers.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

LingcodKilla posted:

If the new campaign boxed set comes with three I'm gonna bet that they will sell out retarded fast to resellers.

There's no way it will have more than one but I doubt it will have that.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
It's a pity these are not straight up called mycetic spores since (I think) the fiction mentions them by name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

What happens when one transports another carrying a third?

• Locked thread