Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I've been waiting awhile for the two sets of kids to get a chance to interact, but given the current situation Dirk and John seem like an odd choice. I mean it'll still be interesting to hear them talk but I just don't see what Dirk can contribute to fixing this whole 'everybody dead' problem.

Oh, and only one page long and funny? Best drat Paradox Space we've ever had, they should just end it here on a high note.

e: just gonna leave these here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
John is the only character that makes homestuck worth reading to me. Looking back, all the times I let myself fall behind or outright lose interest in the comic were the long stretches that had little or no John in it.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!

Freak Futanari posted:

Dirk is cool, and way better than John. Let's just get get all these god drat facts right out on the table:

DIRK:
+ Cool sword
+ Sweet shades
+ Irony
+ Cut off his own head once

JOHN:
- Kinda boring
- NO swords?
- His magical plot powers are pretty grating
- Who even cares about this guy

Please keep your wrong opinions to yourself guy

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Freak Futanari posted:

Dirk is cool, and way better than John. Let's just get get all these god drat facts right out on the table:

DIRK:
+ Cool sword
+ Sweet shades
+ Irony
+ Cut off his own head once

JOHN:
- Kinda boring
- NO swords?
- His magical plot powers are pretty grating
- Who even cares about this guy

Huh, you're dead on accurate.

Dirk and Vriska, literally the only two things Freak Futanari has ever gotten right.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Discombobulator posted:

Dirk's also got the sith soul lightning, that's gotta count for something.

Invisible Brain Ghost Dirk is much better than normal Dirk, it's true. As is Auto Responder.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Wait, when did Jake and Dirk's planets collide?

Poultron
May 26, 2006

Glory of Arioch posted:

When they first met, baby.

Rooreelooo
Sep 29, 2007

"Ask not what Spiral Mountain can do for you; ask what you can do for Spiral Mountain."

Glory of Arioch posted:

I just went back and rewatched Game Over. It never happens onscreen, it plays out like this:

Aranea tries to squish the condesce by using LOLAR, it crashes into LOFAF but she jumps out the way
Aranea tries again using LOCAH, but this time the condesce blocks it using LOHAC
Next time we see the condesce and aranea, you can see the ruins of LOTAK in the background so it must have collided with LOMAX offscreen

So in conclusion - maybe it's a deleted scene that was cut for time??? It will probably appear in the DVD extras once hussie releases the whole thing afterwards, alongside hours of footage of horses and the sweet bro & hella jeff moive

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Dirk's a good choice for interacting with John right now because he's generally on-point about poo poo going down (hence why the Condesce needed him well out of the picture). John and someone else might've gotten sidetracked talking about whatever but I think with Dirk they'll get to the bottom of who's dead and alive and what the situation is, then figure out something to do.

The smartest thing at the moment might be for the surviving players to regroup somewhere, if there was anywhere safe to run to in the Incipisphere anymore. Terezi's alive but very close to the Condesce, has a lot of injuries and no powers - John might be able to bail her out, especially if he tries to use his magic plot powers, but he's not actually been very good at bringing those to bear yet. In fact, he'll probably wink out again in a minute regardless of what they plan. Roxy and Rose could be anywhere and Void might make them hard to find. It might actually be pretty hard to gather up the remaining alive players.

Then again maybe Dirk will just flip his poo poo at the sight of Jane and Jake's corpses and try to bum-rush the Condesce, but he's generally cool enough under pressure not to make a mistake that ludicrous when escape's possible.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Zoe posted:

I've been waiting awhile for the two sets of kids to get a chance to interact, but given the current situation Dirk and John seem like an odd choice. I mean it'll still be interesting to hear them talk but I just don't see what Dirk can contribute to fixing this whole 'everybody dead' problem.

Don't forget John already interacted plenty with Roxy. And Roxy has now technically interacted with Rose. And Jade and Jake go way back.

I wonder how Dirk will react to all this. If anything would make him break down it's losing so many of his friends. On the other hand, he might be just the sort of character needed to convince John not to undo it all, if there is a good reason for that. (Other than the meta-reason of making that whole flash pointless)

KoB
May 1, 2009

Tenebrais posted:

Don't forget John already interacted plenty with Roxy. And Roxy has now technically interacted with Rose. And Jade and Jake go way back.

Also Dave and John's hot mom.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Rooreelooo posted:

So in conclusion - maybe it's a deleted scene that was cut for time??? It will probably appear in the DVD extras once hussie releases the whole thing afterwards, alongside hours of footage of horses and the sweet bro & hella jeff moive
It'll come with a full glossy printout of daveisafunnyguy.txt

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I really like Jake, and I think honestly he gets too much flak for the love triangle stuff when most of it is actually Jane and Dirk projecting a bunch of unhealthy emotions onto him. When he gets to stretch his legs in a pesterlog Jake himself is usually pretty endearing.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

NextTime000 posted:

John is the only character that makes homestuck worth reading to me. Looking back, all the times I let myself fall behind or outright lose interest in the comic were the long stretches that had little or no John in it.

I feel pretty much the same way, though I'm not averse to reading about the wonderful adventures of Jack Noir or Caliborn.

Sunsetaware
Jun 2, 2012

Much as the love triangle was terrible, Dirk is fun no matter what, and I'm glad he's back in the picture. Now bring back Arquiusprite.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

look let me spell it out for you dumb fuckers

Best Kids
John
Dave
Karkat
Meenah
Vriska
Roxy

Good Kids
Rose
Tavros
Vriska
Terzei
Equius
Gamzee

Alright Kids
Jade
Sollux
Dirk
Vriska
Kanaya
Aranea

Bad Kids
Jane
Jake
Nepeta
Feferi
Aradia
Vriska

Ampora Kids
Eridan
Cronus

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
You mixed up John and Dirk there, and erroneously put Vriska in the 'good' list instead of the 'Best' list.

Common mistakes.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

Who What Now posted:

You mixed up John and Dirk there, and erroneously put Vriska in the 'good' list instead of the 'Best' list.

Common mistakes.

Check again

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Who What Now posted:

Common mistakes.

Vriska is tiered four times on that list.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

All the characters are great and I crave ever more elaborate love-polyhedrons to spite you all, so there.

But seriously if you found teenager relationship angst so onerous there probably isnt't time left for any of that now. poo poo is getting underway.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Best Homestuck kids
The humans (including "Joey")

okay kids
First twelve trolls (in some order)

worst kids
Last twelve trolls

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

pandaK posted:

Vriska is tiered four times on that list.

poo poo I missed that. Fantastic.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Who What Now posted:

Common mistakes.

I was about to complain that they had obviously mixed up Terezi and Vriska (and say "common mistake") but then I read a little harder :shepface:

e:

Acne Rain posted:

Best Homestuck kids
The humans (including "Joey")

Bullshit, Joey is the worst character in the whole comic :mad:

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Fefeta isn't on the Best Kids list. This is clearly a grievous oversight.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

whowhatwhere posted:

I didn't include horrible abominations against nature, but if I had then obviously yeah.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

whowhatwhere posted:

Dear, sweet, precious Fefetasprite.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Here's my prediction: Dirk is gonna die.

Not sure how, but it's happening this Act someway and somehow.

Either that or he's going to end up where Caliborn is and be forced to star in his upcoming play or/and participate in many friendly bro activities with him. Which, honestly, is a fate worse than death.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Here's my prediction: Dirk is gonna die.

Not sure how, but it's happening this Act someway and somehow.

Either that or he's going to end up where Caliborn is and be forced to star in his upcoming play or/and participate in many friendly bro activities with him. Which, honestly, is a fate worse than death.

Which Dirk, though? Dudes fractious as hell.

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
It's gonna turn out that Dirk got his 'choice' from Yaldabaoth, and he has to kill John.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

team overhead smash posted:

look let me spell it out for you dumb fuckers

Eridan doesn't deserve to be bunched together with Cronus like that

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
OFFICIAL HOMESTUCK TIER LIST

U HOMESTUCKIN': COOL
Vriska

U HOMESTUCKIN': GOOD
Roxy
Nepeta
Kanaya
Karkat
Dirk

U HOMESTUCKIN': BAD
John
Cronus
Kankri
Terezi

U HOMESTUCKIN': AWFUL
Tavros
Jake
Andrew Hussie :twisted:

Poultron
May 26, 2006

Why does everyone hate Jane so much I think she's a proper good lass

KoB
May 1, 2009

Poultron posted:

Why does everyone hate Jane so much I think she's a proper good lass

Shes just boring, who cares about Jane when Ive got the best kids: Dave, Karkat, Roxy, and John.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

KoB posted:

Shes just boring, who cares about Jane when Ive got the best kids: Dave, Karkat, Roxy, and John.

She is adorable though. I wouldn't put her in best tier but she's at least good tier. At least we can all agree that John is the best kid.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Poultron posted:

She is adorable though. I wouldn't put her in best tier but she's at least good tier. At least we can all agree that John is the best kid.

John is boring and never does anything of his own volition. The last time he was funny was just after he entered the medium.

The only difference between John and Jake is no one wants to bone John.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

Who What Now posted:

John is boring and never does anything of his own volition. The last time he was funny was just after he entered the medium.

gently caress you dude John owns if you don't stop posting I'll get my dad to beat you up (my dad is Andrew Hussie)

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Who What Now posted:

Times John have been entertaining, off the top of my head (there are probably more)

- Long, multipage teen rant about how terrible Nicolas Cage is and the mechanics of Jade and Davesprite dating
- Dreambubble fight with Jack Noir
- All interactions with Vriska
- God-lessons with Roxy
- Beating up Caliborn
- That time he was a huge idiot and gave away his only communication device in the wallet

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
The pre scratch kids had somewhat normal lives and were just kind of unsocial and inactive. the alpha kids had inaction forced upon them and all had somewhat sad and harrowing circumstances they had to live through before the game. I like them both but the alpha kids I think don't really deserve the spite they get.

Sure the trolls led weird lives but they're an entire race of violent weirdo assholes with hate-wives that I find unrelatable in the best of circumstances.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Bobulus posted:

Times John have been entertaining, off the top of my head (there are probably more)

- Long, multipage teen rant about how terrible Nicolas Cage is and the mechanics of Jade and Davesprite dating

Went on too long and was really more pathetic and laden with second hand embarrassment than humor.

quote:

-Dreambubble fight with Jack Noir
I don't even remember that.

quote:

-All interactions with Vriska

Just like Tavros John is carried by a much better character.

quote:

-God-lessons with Roxy

I'm pretty sure that was Calliope.

quote:

-Beating up Caliborn

I'll give you this one.

quote:

-That time he was a huge idiot and gave away his only communication device in the wallet

'John is a doofy idiot look at what a doof he is, what an idiot huh?' Got old super fast.

Sorry bro, I know it's hard to swallow but John is on the level of Jake and Tavros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poultron
May 26, 2006

Who What Now posted:

I'm pretty sure that was Calliope.

No that was definitely John. Roxy was in the prison cell trying to learn the voidey thing and John helped her out, remember? He also definitely had a fight with Jack.