Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

melon cat posted:

I understand. But how big of a compressor are we talking? Would that MAC700 I mentioned earlier be sufficient? The only mobility I'd ever need is to occasionally haul the unit into our house to use the brad nailer during renovations, and that wouldn't be too often.

Impact wrenches use a ton of air at full load, like several gallons per second. If you need to loosen stuck bolts it just won't work. At minimum load they take a lot less, but you're still looking at a couple seconds before the tank pressure drops too much. Even a 60 gallon tank will be cycling a lot with any serious use. I don't recommend pneumatic tools for home shop use. The cost of a big enough compressor is more than the cost of a whole set of electric tools. If you're just changing tires and loosening mildly stuck bolts you'll be a lot happier with an electric wrench.

That makita will work great for nailing and filling tires. It's more expensive than a cheap pancake compressor, but it should be a lot quieter and last longer.

dinozaur posted:

No. A standard impact wrench uses 5cfm @ 90psi.

5cfm is the minimum to spin it. To hit the advertised torque ratings it'll be more like 20-25.

oxbrain fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Nov 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...

Knyteguy posted:

I've kept up a little on this thread about tools from Harbor Freight, but I was wondering if anyone has experience with their air compressors, and their pneumatic tools in general? I'm thinking of picking up a small compressor, stapler, and orbital sander to start. Should I look elsewhere even though I'm a new hobbyist? I don't need the tools to last for a lifetime or anything, but I also would like them to last a couple years at least with light-medium use.

I have their little 100psi compressor and its pretty weak but it does what I need to do, i.e. air for tires and like 10 brads at a time. And it was 40$

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.
I glued up a tonge and groove panel 14"x35" under the assumption it would fit into my planer at the end. I was wrong. So I have to take about 1/4" off it. After hitting it with various hand planes on/off for two weeks I've reminded myself that patience and hand tools aren't really my things (though actually my $25 stanly works pretty well, it's just that this job is bigger than it's suited for)

So does anyone have any comments on electric hand planers? I've never used one and don't know anyone who has one.

This porter cable looks like a good all-around option (#1 on Amazon, $20 cheaper from Lowes):
http://www.lowes.com/pd_496565-70-PC60THP_0__?productId=50083058&Ntt=planer&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dplaner&facetInfo=

Besides my current project it seems like it's a good alternative to the belt sander for heavy duty smoothing etc. Maybe for paint stripping on my deck?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Knyteguy posted:

I've kept up a little on this thread about tools from Harbor Freight, but I was wondering if anyone has experience with their air compressors, and their pneumatic tools in general? I'm thinking of picking up a small compressor, stapler, and orbital sander to start. Should I look elsewhere even though I'm a new hobbyist? I don't need the tools to last for a lifetime or anything, but I also would like them to last a couple years at least with light-medium use.

I think I have posted this a dozen times now between DIY and AI.

1) Buy the biggest compressor you can afford/fit/power.
2) Do NOT buy a oil free compressor above 10 gallons. They are trash.
3) Size the compressor using the CFM needs of the tools you want to run. Nailer? 1-2CFM. Impact Gun or die grinder 3-5CFM, DA Sander or Sand Blaster 8+CFM.
4) Buy used. There are dozens of 30-120gallon 5HP Single phase compressors on my local craigslist for around $300-600. Make sure you can see it run and inspect the compressor tank for signs of rust. With a ~3 years old compressor it's not really a concern, but on a 30 year old IR, it's a possibility. Change the oil and inspect the belt.
5) 70% of store brand compressors are re-badged Cambell Hausfeld (Kobalt/Lowes, Husky/HomeDepot, ext).
6) Don't forget about a quality regulator and filter- this will save your tools.
7) PEAK HP is a bloody scam. A true 5hp compressor will draw 21-24 amps running and the motor plate should reflect that.
8) Same for PEAK CFM- what good does it do if it can't keep up?

Finally, 90% of Harbor Freight air tools work just fine. I have a half dozen die grinders, cut off tools, air hammers, and even a sander or two from them that are still working 5+ years later.

Honestly, if you want to run a brad nailer and stapler- just get a Bostich/Porter Cable nailer/compressor kit that's going to be on sale around the holidays and buy a electric sander.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Nov 2, 2014

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

asdf32 posted:

I glued up a tonge and groove panel 14"x35" under the assumption it would fit into my planer at the end. I was wrong. So I have to take about 1/4" off it. After hitting it with various hand planes on/off for two weeks I've reminded myself that patience and hand tools aren't really my things (though actually my $25 stanly works pretty well, it's just that this job is bigger than it's suited for)

So does anyone have any comments on electric hand planers? I've never used one and don't know anyone who has one.

This porter cable looks like a good all-around option (#1 on Amazon, $20 cheaper from Lowes):
http://www.lowes.com/pd_496565-70-PC60THP_0__?productId=50083058&Ntt=planer&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dplaner&facetInfo=

Besides my current project it seems like it's a good alternative to the belt sander for heavy duty smoothing etc. Maybe for paint stripping on my deck?

Are there any communal wood working shops around? Years ago I did something similar and I found a local woodworking group shop that let me run it through their planer for a 6 pack of hard cider.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

asdf32 posted:

I've used one a few times and to be honest found it a bit terrifying. It's one of the few cases I've found where I'd prefer the hand tool to the power.

Are you trying to thickness plane or edge joint?

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Looking for a bench vise and a grinder. Anyone have experience with these from harbor freight? Grinder will see very light use.

jailbait#3
Aug 25, 2000
forum veteran
I used a Makita planer helping somebody with a boat restoration. It was easy to take too much off if you weren't careful, but it left a really nice surface after cutting.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Whale Cancer posted:

Looking for a bench vise and a grinder. Anyone have experience with these from harbor freight? Grinder will see very light use.

I've got a handful of their grinders. I'm pretty amazed they have all held up. The things sound like they are going to explode compared to the Makita/Milwaukie/Dewalt/Metabo's I use now. I did change the gear box grease on all of them. But I'm not sure it's worth it if your barely going to use it. As far as vises go, I've never had one, but three guys I know have and they all cracked. Get a used Wilton/Columbian/ect off craigslist.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe

melon cat posted:

I understand. But how big of a compressor are we talking? Would that MAC700 I mentioned earlier be sufficient? The only mobility I'd ever need is to occasionally haul the unit into our house to use the brad nailer during renovations, and that wouldn't be too often.

Get something just a little bigger than that. 3.5-4cfm should be good if you are careful about the impact wrench that you buy. For example this is a 720ft/lb 5cfm impact wrench: http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-professional-1-2-in-professional-composite-impact-wrench/p-00919865000P Long story short, it wouldn't work well.

However you could likely get away with this 500ft/lb 3.9cfm @ 90 version: http://www.amazon.com/BOSTITCH-BTMT72391-2-Inch-Impact-Wrench/dp/B00F3ZY508/

But hearing all your requirements let's try something completely different. How about you buy a giant gently caress off one that who cares how loud it is and then buy 2-4 50' hoses that are set up male to female (Or if you can find them I know they make 100'+ hoses) to stretch all the way into your house for when you need to do finishing nails inside the house?

Or how about a 3rd option. What do we do when we don't have a strong enough tool? Buy more tools! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFRYlwnuNZ8 Fair warning, I've never done this and this guy might be a idiot or maybe a genius wizard because this looks brilliant but for all I know it could fail horribly. I might try it to set up a better wood finishing setup.

the spyder posted:

Some generally decently helpful comments about air compressors.

I'll say this about this post: 1) Don't buy a used tank if you don't know how to tell if a tank is rusting from the inside. 2) The problem with HF pneumatic tools is not their longevity, it's their power to cfm usage. I have several and after buying some better ones I can most certainly tell that the HF ones were just straight up inefficient with their air use. I don't have a test lab to prove anything but I wouldn't trust their ratings, of course this doesn't matter if you buy a way too powerful compressor but you have to weigh the pros and cons there for yourself.

Anubis fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Nov 3, 2014

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Personally, I was hoping to stay away from an air compressor that's too large. Our garage is quite small, so space is already limited.

Would I be in pretty good shape if I just bought the MAC700 for tires, household use, and brad nailing then bought this M18 Fuel for the car? It seems that I can't have it all, but maybe this would be best approach (?).

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Whale Cancer posted:

I have one of their vises, it's a 4" or maybe 5", can't remember. It's the one that's normally $59.99. With a coupon I bought it for $29.99. Works fine but my needs are light duty, bending copper or brass, holding bolts or other bits of metal while I saw them. I wanted to buy a vintage vise but for whatever reason it didn't work out and I got frustrated not having one.

Been wondering about the grinder too but I'm looking at a Bosch that's only $50 and undoubted better quality.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

Anubis posted:

Or how about a 3rd option. What do we do when we don't have a strong enough tool? Buy more tools! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFRYlwnuNZ8 Fair warning, I've never done this and this guy might be a idiot or maybe a genius wizard because this looks brilliant but for all I know it could fail horribly. I might try it to set up a better wood finishing setup.

Holy crap that guy is trying to make it sound like he's doing something super complex and ingenious. You hook two compressors up to the same line with $5 worth of fittings. You don't need special hoses or special parts, just basic air line fittings. They don't have to be the same size or power, just set the regulators to roughly the same output pressure and you're good to go. Unless you're modifying the compressors there's nothing dangerous about it. It's the same principal as basically every large industrial air setup.

oxbrain fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Nov 3, 2014

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I bought a Dewalt DW511 1/2" corded drill. My previous drill had some clips on the side where you could store driver bits, but the new one doesn't. The Dewalt has a nice flat spot on top where I'd like to mount something to hold bits, but the only thing I found on Amazon looked like some cheap piece of foam. I was also thinking maybe a spark plug wire loom might work. Any ideas for something I can stick on the top of my drill to store spare driver bits?

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

the spyder posted:

Compressor advice

Thanks. I'm on a tight budget so yes I may just wait for Christmas/Black Friday and pick up a combo set.

Edit: nevermind, not really interested in that saw. I'll keep my eyes open for something better maintained. Not in any hurry anyway.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Nov 3, 2014

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

SkunkDuster posted:

I bought a Dewalt DW511 1/2" corded drill. My previous drill had some clips on the side where you could store driver bits, but the new one doesn't. The Dewalt has a nice flat spot on top where I'd like to mount something to hold bits, but the only thing I found on Amazon looked like some cheap piece of foam. I was also thinking maybe a spark plug wire loom might work. Any ideas for something I can stick on the top of my drill to store spare driver bits?

Epoxy a magnet or strip of magnetic tape to it?

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008

melon cat posted:

Personally, I was hoping to stay away from an air compressor that's too large. Our garage is quite small, so space is already limited.

Would I be in pretty good shape if I just bought the MAC700 for tires, household use, and brad nailing then bought this M18 Fuel for the car? It seems that I can't have it all, but maybe this would be best approach (?).

Why the Makita? $200+ is a lot of dough to spend on a >3 gallon compressor. Big Sky tools had a Pancake Compressor with 4 nail guns on sale yesterday for $199.

But yea, this seems like a good setup for what you are trying to do. My local HD is clearing our Makita 18v hex impcats for less than $100 though. Might be worth checking it out.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Sointenly posted:

Why the Makita? $200+ is a lot of dough to spend on a >3 gallon compressor. Big Sky tools had a Pancake Compressor with 4 nail guns on sale yesterday for $199.

But yea, this seems like a good setup for what you are trying to do. My local HD is clearing our Makita 18v hex impcats for less than $100 though. Might be worth checking it out.
I'm just a big fan of Makita, and every forum I've researched this air compressor topic seems to show overwhelmingly positive reviews for the MAC700. And I'd rather have a bit "too much" instead of feeling like I bought an under-powered compressor.

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008

melon cat posted:

I'm just a big fan of Makita, and every forum I've researched this air compressor topic seems to show overwhelmingly positive reviews for the MAC700. And I'd rather have a bit "too much" instead of feeling like I bought an under-powered compressor.

Fair enough, and generally i'm not one to tell anyone not to buy a nice tool. BUT, in my experience, for home applications, there is really no practical advantage to spending big bucks on a small volume compressor. Now if you were in the trades and were relying on this thing to make a living that would be another story, but that's more about longevity / reliability not performance. If it were me, I think i'd try to stay under $100 on the compressor and spend more on the tools (nailers, fittings, hoses, est).

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008
Getting into tools has finally given me a reason to give a poo poo about Black Friday.

Anyone hoping for a deal on a particular tool?

I'm looking for an 18v brad nailer, hoping that Dewalt or Ryobi hears my prayers.

WobblySausage
Nov 7, 2014

Sointenly posted:

Getting into tools has finally given me a reason to give a poo poo about Black Friday.

Anyone hoping for a deal on a particular tool?

I'm looking for an 18v brad nailer, hoping that Dewalt or Ryobi hears my prayers.

For Ryobi stuff check if there is a Direct Tools outlet near you. I was able to pick up an 18v NiCad Ryobi Drill for $20.00 or $30.00 (battery & charger included). They specialize in Ryobi and Ridgid tools. Their tools are factory refurbished, but they come with factory warranties.

But as far as Black Friday stuff, I'm keeping my eye out for a table saw.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

Fun Shoe
bfads.net is always good for early scans.

I'm really tempted by the 52" craftsman 20 drawer rolling tool chest. It might actually be big enough for me to store the majority of my crap where I can actually find it. Also, if I ever get gently caress You rich I'm just buying one of these and calling it done: http://www.amazon.com/Williams-WSC-1390SAE-Mammoth-Fractional-1390-Piece/dp/B00GQTVH24/

Anubis fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Nov 8, 2014

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Anubis posted:

I'm really tempted by the 52" craftsman 20 drawer rolling tool chest. It might actually be big enough for me to store the majority of my crap where I can actually find it.

One thing that Harbor Freight is definitely worth looking at for is the 44" tool chest. I have this and am quite happy with it: http://www.harborfreight.com/44-in-13-drawer-glossy-red-industrial-roller-cabinet-68784.html

It is well reviewed in a lot of places on the internet and is frequently on sale

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Anubis posted:

Also, if I ever get gently caress You rich I'm just buying one of these and calling it done: http://www.amazon.com/Williams-WSC-1390SAE-Mammoth-Fractional-1390-Piece/dp/B00GQTVH24/

I love that they throw in $8.01 shipping on that. Really, they couldn't just say free shipping at that price point? Heh.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The Locator posted:

I love that they throw in $8.01 shipping on that. Really, they couldn't just say free shipping at that price point? Heh.

My favorite part:

quote:

Your cost could be $12,950.00 instead of $12,990.00! Get the Amazon.com Store Card card and you'll automatically get $40.00 off instantly as a gift card.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

Anubis posted:

I'm really tempted by the 52" craftsman 20 drawer rolling tool chest. It might actually be big enough for me to store the majority of my crap where I can actually find it. Also, if I ever get gently caress You rich I'm just buying one of these and calling it done: http://www.amazon.com/Williams-WSC-1390SAE-Mammoth-Fractional-1390-Piece/dp/B00GQTVH24/

Here is the review of the Harbor Freight tool chest that convinced me to buy one. Guy dissects ball bearing tracks and crawls around on the floor comparing gussets or whatever. Cheap and works great.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I definitely read that review in my research. I am happy enough with it that I will be adding on some of the expansion bits in the next year or so as I need more space. I can't imagine needing a better constructed tool chest, and it has plenty of space for the tools I have now.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

WobblySausage posted:

For Ryobi stuff check if there is a Direct Tools outlet near you. I was able to pick up an 18v NiCad Ryobi Drill for $20.00 or $30.00 (battery & charger included). They specialize in Ryobi and Ridgid tools. Their tools are factory refurbished, but they come with factory warranties.

But as far as Black Friday stuff, I'm keeping my eye out for a table saw.
I love Direct Tools. Got an 18v ridgid hammer drill from them a few black Fridays ago for like 35% of the new retail cost. Minus the small 'recon' stamped into the handle, you would never know the difference.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Trabisnikof posted:

My favorite part:

The shipping weight of 0.2 ounces is a concern.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Can someone tell me the name of this part or whether it exists based on description ?

I want to thread a bolt through a piece of wood and have it repeatedly moved/adjustable for levelling/height adjusting something. In the hole this bolt goes through rather than let it grab the wood, which would wear out, I'd like to have some sort of matching metal threaded insert. Like a cylinder thats threaded on the inside and it would be secured in the wood surface.

Is there a name for what I'm picturing? Its kind of like a reverse set screw ?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
T-nut or threaded insert. but if it's a hard enough wood you can often just thread the hole and it'll be fine.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

You're looking for a threaded blind nut. You should be able to find them at a hardware store in a variety of standard thread sizes.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

yes! thats it! I was searching all kinds of words to find it and now I know, that was frustrating.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

The harbor frieght 12" sliding mitre saw was on sale for $199 and I went in there with a 20% off coupon and picked me up that summbitch. Seemed decently solid for the price. Got the extended year warranty just in case (which the coupon paid for). :woop:

Now to try to get a deal on the Dewalt tablesaw at Lowes and I can start building the bookshelves my wife wants. :hellyeah:

coathat
May 21, 2007

Anyone ever use one of these Tri-vise things? http://www.amazon.com/Tri-Vise-PVL001-4-Plate-Vise/dp/B0035BBI52

Seems like it could save me hauling out my sawhorses when the horses break a fence board.

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...

Doctor Zero posted:

The harbor frieght 12" sliding mitre saw was on sale for $199 and I went in there with a 20% off coupon and picked me up that summbitch. Seemed decently solid for the price. Got the extended year warranty just in case (which the coupon paid for). :woop:

Now to try to get a deal on the Dewalt tablesaw at Lowes and I can start building the bookshelves my wife wants. :hellyeah:

you are me. its fun. enjoy it!

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

Doctor Zero posted:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002HORLUO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just got this recently in lieu of the Dewalt.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

Fun Shoe

uwaeve posted:

Here is the review of the Harbor Freight tool chest that convinced me to buy one. Guy dissects ball bearing tracks and crawls around on the floor comparing gussets or whatever. Cheap and works great.

Hmm, that's pretty convincing. Right now, it'd be between 3 options. That craftsman 52" with the top included for $1k, the HF 56" set for $1,230 (bottom and top) or a wildcard option of buying 2 of the 44" HF bottom chests on sale and not bothering picking up the overpriced top piece which would run $700 on thanksgiving weekend.

The big advantage to the craftsman is that I like the drawer setup a little better but buying 2 of the HF ones and having the option later on to add on if floor space becomes even more of a premium is drat tempting. Especially after reading the reviews.

Ok, the space I'm clearing out on Tuesday (God willing) is 90" wall to wall. That pretty much means I have a divine sign to put in the full 88" of HF tool storage space, correct?

Anubis fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Nov 10, 2014

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Hmmm. That's pretty cool but I was going to build a bench for it.

Edit: actually, poo poo for $80 that's probably way more handy and portable than what I would have made. Reconsidering...

Actually I meant to say the *Delta* table saw. This is the one. Looked nice and solid for the price. Anyone know if they ever go on sale?

http://www.lowes.com/pd_510897-52010-36-725_0__?productId=50081568&Ntt=delta+table+saws&pl=1%A4tURL=%3FNtt%3Ddelta%2Btable%2Bsaws&facetInfo=

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Nov 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Anubis posted:

Hmm, that's pretty convincing. Right now, it'd be between 3 options. That craftsman 52" with the top included for $1k, the HF 56" set for $1,230 (bottom and top) or a wildcard option of buying 2 of the 44" HF bottom chests on sale and not bothering picking up the overpriced top piece which would run $700 on thanksgiving weekend.

The big advantage to the craftsman is that I like the drawer setup a little better but buying 2 of the HF ones and having the option later on to add on if floor space becomes even more of a premium is drat tempting. Especially after reading the reviews.

Ok, the space I'm clearing out on Tuesday (God willing) is 90" wall to wall. That pretty much means I have a divine sign to put in the full 88" of HF tool storage space, correct?

Dooooo it! I suggest removing the wheels/handles and building a top from Ikea counter top material.