Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

If Brandhorst translated it that's not so much a matter of preference as of keeping your sanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

My Lovely Horse posted:

If Brandhorst translated it that's not so much a matter of preference as of keeping your sanity.

Haha. The very first discworld books I read were in german, this was 20 years ago or so, and the translations just missed so much. After I learned somewhat decent german and didn't need to try to read german books I switched to English and haven't looked back. And recognizing charactors in the A.M. game and linking them to their special actions is very nice.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

You didn't get one of the infamous soup edition books, did you?

http://gmkeros.wordpress.com/2011/09/02/terry-pratchett-and-the-maggi-soup-adverts/

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Hah, for some reason I thought it was a cooking book soup recipe accidentally being printed up, not an actual loving advertisement for soup breaking into the story.

I can see why Terry was pissed and switched.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Oct 17, 2014

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Don't think I had sourcery in german, they are all boxed up somewhere since its not worth the bother selling em, but that is some ridiculous bullshit.

E: If anyone is interested in them I can look for the box, make sure they are still ok, and list em. But honestly I wouldn't bother unless you are using it as a tool to learn german, the English books are so much better.

Ika fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Oct 16, 2014

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Ahahaha! wtf

They should do this in other books too.

quote:

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of the 5 Minute Soup.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Rihanna posted on Twitter that she was starting production on something that would make a lot of people very happy and the BBC just posted a picture of Benedict Cumberbatch who is also involved in a 'mystery production' for them as well.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Total Meatlove posted:

Rihanna posted on Twitter that she was starting production on something that would make a lot of people very happy and the BBC just posted a picture of Benedict Cumberbatch who is also involved in a 'mystery production' for them as well.

So would that be related to the Watch series, or can we wildly speculate that Cumberbatch will play Aziraphale? Since the Watch series is a known thing, I would think the mystery tweet would be another thing entirely, right?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Have they nailed anyone down for the Watch series yet?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

precision posted:

wildly speculate that Cumberbatch will play Aziraphale
Surely if anything it'd be Crowley, right?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

My Lovely Horse posted:

Honestly, he could do either one pretty well. At one point there were talks of Robin Williams as Aziraphale and Johnny Depp as Crowley, which would have been... something.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Stephen Fry as Aziraphale and Hugh Laurie as Crowley.

Only way to fly, guys.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

thespaceinvader posted:

Stephen Fry as Aziraphale and Hugh Laurie as Crowley.

Only way to fly, guys.

Would work either way.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Aziraphale's slightly plump and Crowley has cheekbones to die for.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Unfortunately I think they kind of missed the window on Fry and Laurie as principals in Good Omens. They aged D:

Get them to film it in the late 90s...

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

Unfortunately I think they kind of missed the window on Fry and Laurie as principals in Good Omens. They aged D:

Get them to film it in the late 90s...

Wasn't that when Fry was going through his breakdown, though?

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

precision posted:

So would that be related to the Watch series, or can we wildly speculate that Cumberbatch will play Aziraphale? Since the Watch series is a known thing, I would think the mystery tweet would be another thing entirely, right?

There's also the Wee Free Men script that we know was written a while back.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

My Lovely Horse posted:

He'd be playing both, using mocap technology:

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Total Meatlove posted:

Rihanna posted on Twitter that she was starting production on something that would make a lot of people very happy

Oh. I just realised you didn't mean the musician. This suddenly makes so much more sense.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

mirthdefect posted:

Oh. I just realised you didn't mean the musician. This suddenly makes so much more sense.

She'd make an excellent Tawneee

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Total Meatlove posted:

She'd make an excellent Tawneee

Recast Vetenari again.

Uzh
Sep 27, 2003
Monkey lover

mirthdefect posted:

Recast Vetenari again.

Keep the casting, but have him speak normally.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Did anyone get Mrs Bradshaw's Handbook thingy yet? Is it good?

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Uzh posted:

Keep the casting, but have him speak normally.

Whoever told Jeremy Irons to use that voice really should be hanged up by the Bura'zak-ka.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

And his figgin placed upon a spike?

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
Charles Dance was loving perfect as Vetinari, are you telling me that Iron's awful performance came AFTER?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Breathe easy. Irons did him in Colour of Magic, that was before Going Postal.

Edit: Pratchett's first choice is Alan Rickman. Someone obviously heard him say "that guy in Die Hard", and got Irons by mistake. Could be worse though, they could've got Bruce Willis.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Oct 30, 2014

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Iacen posted:

Whoever told Jeremy Irons to use that voice really should be hanged up by the Bura'zak-ka.

Iacen, we don't practice that punishment at Something Awful.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

tooterfish posted:

Edit: Pratchett's first choice is Alan Rickman. Someone obviously heard him say "that guy in Die Hard", and got Irons by mistake. Could be worse though, they could've got Bruce Willis.

I can practically hear Rickman saying 'Don't... let me detain you...'

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

MikeJF posted:

That's pure gold.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Oh god, how did Rickman never occur to me before? That would be perfect.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Charles Dance and Steve Pemberton as Veternari and Drumknott were a great team, two complimentary shades of unsettling.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Peter Capaldi could make an excellent Vetinari, I think. Amazing eyebrows, and was brilliant as Richelieu in the Musketeers; can definitely play that type. But Vetinari feels a little... younger than Capaldi to me.

Trouble is, a lot of Pterry's amazing casting ideas just don't work any more, because he thought of them in the mid-90s and the actors age. A young Pete Postlethwaite was his model for Vimes, and he's dead now :smith: he would have been amazing too.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I just want to see Tony Stamp and Reg Hollis from The Bill as Fred Colon and Nobby Nobbs. Is that really too much to ask?

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

Trin Tragula posted:

I just want to see Tony Stamp and Reg Hollis from The Bill as Fred Colon and Nobby Nobbs. Is that really too much to ask?

I'd never thought of that before, but that is perfection.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Trin Tragula posted:

I saw Stamp = Colon too! Reg does have a certain ratty quality to him, but Nobby might have to be CGI.

It's a bit tough for me to think about, might first few Watch books were off Audible, the first couple read by Stephen Briggs where Fred is a sort of stereotypical plod, then went to Guards! Guards! Read by Nigel "Neil from The Young Ones" Planer where he was Irish. I think most of Briggs' voices are better fits though, even if Michael Caine is much too old to play Vimes.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
Started Wyrd Sisters in my ongoing publication order read through of the series, and holy poo poo the scene of Granny and the witches watching the play at the beginning has to be the funniest passage of discworld so far. Granny's actions as a result of not understanding theatre but hating to admit ignorance is funny as hell in itself, but I just about died when Magrat dreaded explaining to Granny about men playing women on stage because she knows that granny has "Views". I love how "Views" is capitalized, that somehow makes an already hilarious line even funnier. Also this scene is the first appearance of Granny's death stare in this book and it is incredible as usual.

Granny is so awesome. She was the best part of Equal Rites and 20 pages in to Wyrd Sisters I can tell that as good as she was in Equal Rites, I'm in for a exponentially more funny and awesome Granny in this book.

"Things that try to look like things often do look more like things than things." God I love this series. So glad I'm finally reading through it.

Damo fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Nov 3, 2014

davestones
May 7, 2009

Damo posted:

Started Wyrd Sisters in my ongoing publication order read through of the series, and holy poo poo the scene of Granny and the witches watching the play at the beginning has to be the funniest passage of discworld so far. Granny's actions as a result of not understanding theatre but hating to admit ignorance is funny as hell in itself, but I just about died when Magrat dreaded explaining to Granny about men playing women on stage because she knows that granny has "Views". I love how "Views" is capitalized, that somehow makes an already hilarious line even funnier. Also this scene is the first appearance of Granny's death stare in this book and it is incredible as usual.

Granny is so awesome. She was the best part of Equal Rites and 20 pages in to Wyrd Sisters I can tell that as good as she was in Equal Rites, I'm in for a exponentially more funny and awesome Granny in this book.

"Things that try to look like things often do look more like things than things." God I love this series. So glad I'm finally reading through it.

I don't know if you live in England or not but Granny and Nanny are so typical of Northern English old women that practically everyone in this part of the country will know someone who matches one of their personalities almost perfectly. Especially the casual racism/xenophobia that was completely normal for the "olden days".

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I know it's more hip to be all about the Watch stories, but I always loved the Witches ones just as much.

I ATE'NT DEAD gets me every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Just finished listening to Mort. Pratchett's writing was On Point in this one, drat. The final battle with the hourglasses was am amazing sequence. Infuriating that I can't find the quote I wanted to post about the scythe!

It was strange seeing Rincewind in there. I've only gotten through the Watch series, Going Postal, The Truth and Small Gods, so I've never seen him before.

Next up I guess is Reaper Man? Surprised there only seems to be five entries in the Death series.